2012 NFL Preseason

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Blaine Gabbert had an excellent showing last night.

[FONT=&amp]QB Blaine Gabbert's stock on rise as Jaguars move to 2-0 in preseason[/FONT]

The Jaguars defeated the Saints 27-24 Friday night in New Orleans to start the preseason 2-0 for the first time since 2005.

Here's a look at who helped their cause and who struggled in the Jaguars' win.

Stock up:

1. QB Blaine Gabbert: For a QB who struggled with accuracy in 2011, Gabbert looks like a new player in the preseason. He was 13 of 16 for 112 yards and two touchdowns Friday night. That puts his preseason line at 18 of 26 for 175 yards and three touchdowns. Coach Mike Mularkey has done wonders for the second-year QB in a short amount of time.

more

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gabbert looked great last night. I'm very happy for him. I really think that him and Christian Ponder of the Vikings are going to turn into very good quarterbacks in the next few years. I also like how mobile they both are with nice arm strength. The accuracy should continue to get better with more reps!

I'm excited to see Peyton Hillis tonight. Hopefully he can build off last weeks game where he was sensational in the short time he was in.

The hilite of tonight for me though is the Prime Time Saturday Night Game between the Jets and the Giants. It's Tebow time gentleman and I'm hoping he can continue to make some more believers on national tv. I would love to see him throw for at least one td while running for another. It's only a matter of time before he takes the job from Sanchez if he gets a fair shot. Sanchez will go back to throwing interceptions and just botching plays at important moments of the game. Let's go Tebow!!

dwid

Hall of Famer
Almost had to do a double-take...Saints playing a white CB Nick Hixson *rookie* from tiny Hillsdale...here is hoping this long-shot can at least land on the practice squad...

Hawthorne was not very impressive in the 1st half...should not have spot locked-up...Chamberlain & Herring giving him some competition.
no Hawthorne is not a lock for the starter position. Vitt has said this. He hasn't separated himself from the other guys. I mean he is the favorite for the job because of his past but his injury hasn't helped as well as his play yesterday. Shanle can play either spot so there are numerous guys that could take it over. I think Spags is higher on him than the interim head coach Vitt, but then it gets confusing because Vitt is going to be serving a suspension the first 6 games, he did say he wanted everything to settled before he had to serve it but that isn't a guarantee that what he leaves is set in stone.

If anything it will be a rotation. They like Casillias in some packages, its been said health is the only thing holding him back the past few years. That and coverage skills, which he looked decent in last night, its not really athleticism but getting lost . Herring is great in coverage but struggles with the run, mainly shedding blocks. Chamberlain is injured so I don't know where that leaves him when he comes back. Unfortunately for Herring they might play Cassilias over him if Hawthorne doesn't start however there was one stretch when Herring started over him. Hawthorne looked awful last night, he showed athleticism on a few plays but after blown assignments so I don't know if its injury related. He lined up in the wrong spot at times, I think even got a offsides penalty? I know his history in Seattle but I don't know, here maybe its trouble adjusting to a new scheme,because he has just looked lost. Vitt has said on the radio the 3rd linebacker spot is not locked down despite what has been reported, hes gotten the most first team reps when healthy but not by some huge margin. Maybe hes trying to motivate the guy by saying that, but he didn't get a great contract in terms of guaranteed money so its not like they would have a lot of money to lose if he sat on the bench. I mean yeah the Saints brought him in to start at olb but also for insurance on the MLB spot (Vilma's suspension) since he played there before but Curtis Lofton has looked good, well not last night but in camp.

Turns out Tanner didn't hurt his knee, it was his ankle, hopefully it isn't too bad. If he can't come back by the 4th preseason game then he has no shot, Vitt is high on him as well as Brees. If they put him on IR or PS I wonder what Payton will do when he gets back.

Last edited:

bigunreal

Mentor
Jake Locker is playing under the "zero tolerance" rule all white players have to contend with. A couple of bad throws last night have made it unlikely he will open the season as the starter. That would never, ever happen to any black QB drafted high in the first round, even if he'd never displayed the flashes Locker did in limited action last year.

And, of course no black QB would have to deal with quality competition like Hasselbeck. The affletic QBs invariably have backups the DWFs totally despise, like Rex Grossman.

The Pats sign Olympian Demps- could this mean the end of Woodhead and/or Edelman? Seems like he'd play the same role. Hopefully he has zero football skills. The Cowboys were rumored to be interested in Jordan Shipley, but shockingly failed to put it a waiver claim. If a monster talent like Shipley doesn't receive multiple offers, and is forced to join the immensely skilled Blair White in the retail world, what can one say?

I really can't stand Victor Cruz. Isn't it amazing how the NFL was desperate for a Hispanic "star," and this former clipboard carrier, walk/on 4th WR, suddenly develops into an uncoverable force. And, of course, he has can do that sexy, lovable salsa dance.

bigunreal

Mentor
Tanner cannot afford to miss any time to injury at this stage. Even established white players really can't hold onto their jobs if they miss any time at all. Hard to believe the Saints would finally keep a white WR. Remember this regime cut Mike Hass after he tore up training camp and was fantastic in the only two preseason games he was allowed to play in.

I don't think Drew Brees has ever had a white WR to throw to in his entire NFL career.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jake Locker is playing under the "zero tolerance" rule all white players have to contend with. A couple of bad throws last night have made it unlikely he will open the season as the starter. That would never, ever happen to any black QB drafted high in the first round, even if he'd never displayed the flashes Locker did in limited action last year.

And, of course no black QB would have to deal with quality competition like Hasselbeck. The affletic QBs invariably have backups the DWFs totally despise, like Rex Grossman.

The Pats sign Olympian Demps- could this mean the end of Woodhead and/or Edelman? Seems like he'd play the same role. Hopefully he has zero football skills. The Cowboys were rumored to be interested in Jordan Shipley, but shockingly failed to put it a waiver claim. If a monster talent like Shipley doesn't receive multiple offers, and is forced to join the immensely skilled Blair White in the retail world, what can one say?

I really can't stand Victor Cruz. Isn't it amazing how the NFL was desperate for a Hispanic "star," and this former clipboard carrier, walk/on 4th WR, suddenly develops into an uncoverable force. And, of course, he has can do that sexy, lovable salsa dance.

Bigunreal, I don't know about Cruz. I think he's mostly black or half black. I don't think he's considered Hispanic by many.

I doubt Demps sticks.

dwid

Hall of Famer
the thing that upsets me about Locker is the so called experts saying "yeah he can run fast and all...thats great blah blah blah but you have to make sure he can stay confined to the pocket and make great throws on a consistent basis in the pocket blah blah, because when he runs he might get a few nice 10 or 20 yard runs but he could be missing out on a big throw" Why is there a different set of rules for him rather than RGIII or any other run first black quarterback (opposed to the dink and dunk black quarterbacks)? Its worse than the situation with Tebow because Locker has much better passing skills and Ive seen him get outside of the pocket and make these amazing throws into double coverage, he can fit the ball in very tight windows.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Tanner cannot afford to miss any time to injury at this stage. Even established white players really can't hold onto their jobs if they miss any time at all. Hard to believe the Saints would finally keep a white WR. Remember this regime cut Mike Hass after he tore up training camp and was fantastic in the only two preseason games he was allowed to play in.

I don't think Drew Brees has ever had a white WR to throw to in his entire NFL career.

I know this is usually the case but if he can make it back by the 4th preseason game he has a shot, it may be a longshot but he has one. The way Joe Vitt spoke about him, you would have thought the guy was black and he spoke very little of Morgan (his main competition), that was before last night though. He still didn't say anything about Morgan, only Chase Daniel did. Tanner was on the practice squad last year. Brees sounded pretty upset over his injury last night, something about how you hate to see someone come that far and so close to get injured. He would have only been a 4th string guy but still, the 4th string receiver still gets 300 to 400 yards in the Saints offense. I know about Hass and a few other guys they had. I can't explain why some stars get screwed and some average talents get more of a chance to show themselves like Lance Long. Maybe its just to disprove my theory that its pretty much only elite talents that get a shot at majority black positions hah

Speaking of injured White receivers, it appears Amendola is back and looks better than ever.

dwid

Hall of Famer
its starting to worry me about the lack of push the Chief's line gets on the inside zone play. Its what they are mainly going to use Hillis on, and he just got stuffed, didn't have a chance.

White players looking good on the Rams, Long, Laurinitis, Dahl. Why is Droughn getting so many reps with the first team? Thats some bull****. Charles showing more confidence in cutting but not at full speed, so Hillis should be getting more carries still.

Last edited:

Riddlewire

Master
The Jets offensive line is just not good.
That will hamper them all season.
Tebow is 3 for 3, though.

Highlander

Mentor
Tebow playing very well on the Jets first possession of the second half.

Riddlewire

Master
I see no reason for Javier Arenas to be returning anything. He stinks. Wylie should be getting all of those plays.

Highlander

Mentor
Martinek with a nice catch and run for a TD for the Giants.

Highlander

Mentor
T.O. drops perfect bomb from Flynn that would've been a TD. Of course, no sign of Durham yet for Seattle.

foobar75

Master
T.O. drops perfect bomb from Flynn that would've been a TD.

That ball could not have been thrown any better. If Flynn has to work with crap like this, it'll be a long season for him.

TwentyTwo

Master
Dwid...with Tanner you mean #4 WR?? Not 4th string which would make him 7 or 8...

Gerhart has 11 carries for 61 yards in 2 pre-season games...5.5 avg per carry + 19 yard reception last night

Good to see Amendola back! The Albino Rhino is a TD scoring machine!

Props to LB Audie Cole with the 2 pick sixes in one quarter!

Chase Blackburn should be a starter all of the time...all he does is produce yet they are always looking to start someone else!

Riddlewire

Master
It's pretty obvious that Cousins is a more reliable quarterback than Griffin. Cousins can run a standard NFL offense. They have to highly customize the playbook for Griffin just to keep him from looking like another Jamarcus out there.

Cousins with the TD pass.

And there's TD #2 from Cousins.

Last edited: