2012 NFL Preseason

Good news, Chad Johnson was released by the Dolphins after a domestic battery arrest. That clears the way for Hartline to start and possibly be the number 1 option.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pat Angerer broke a foot during the Colts' game against the Rams and will be out for about 6 weeks.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Chris Neild injured his knee today in practice and will have an MRI. I hope it isn't anything serious.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dallas and Oakland both have a sprinkling of White defensive players, which is an improvement for both and more than can be said for many NFL teams. Rookie Miles Burris started for the Raiders and is currently projected as their starting WLB. Goethel, Tollefson and Giordano are all very solid, but are backups currently. The Cowboys will start two White LBs, and DT Sean Lissemore and rookie safety Matt Johnson should play a lot. Lissemore is a beast, hopefully he'll be starting at some point. Dallas also has two White WRs trying to make the team and are all-White at TE and QB, quite a change from most of the Jerry Jones era.

Tom Iron

Mentor
A couple of things, first, Luke Kuechly will start from the get-go and Tebow will start down the road (3rd-4th game) for the Jets. don't worry about all this propaganda.

Tom Iron...

Brian Leonard played the entire first quarter. Unfortunately on his one good run he fumbled.

An observation I have made about the Bengals vs Falcons game halfway into the 3rd quarter.
Kerry Meir (WR ATL) has not seen the field yet, but is listed as 2nd string behind Roddy White on the depth chart. (There have been quite a few of the Atlanta 3rd string WR's playing). Similar situation with the Bengals. No sign of Whalen or Shipley yet, but players listed behind them on the depth chart have been playing. Are any of these guys injured?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
An observation I have made about the Bengals vs Falcons game halfway into the 3rd quarter.
Kerry Meir (WR ATL) has not seen the field yet, but is listed as 2nd string behind Roddy White on the depth chart. (There have been quite a few of the Atlanta 3rd string WR's playing). Similar situation with the Bengals. No sign of Whalen or Shipley yet, but players listed behind them on the depth chart have been playing. Are any of these guys injured?

Shipley has supposedly been slow to bounce back so far from last season's knee injury. I've been reading only good things about Meier so don't know what the deal is there. Whalen I think will be a roster cut as on top of Caste adherent Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have added "Chucky" Gruden's younger brother Jay as their offensive coordinator. Chucky never met a White receiver he wouldn't cut and I doubt his brother is any different. Wouldn't surprise me if both Whalen and Shipley are sent packing as Cincy is a graveyard when it comes to White players other than QBs and the occasional o-lineman.

Bernard Scott and the Law Firm both have minor injuries, which explains Leonard playing so much in the first quarter. I can see both of them being banged up during the regular season as well, but even then the team would likely hire a "real" running back off the street rather than let Leonard start.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Shipley has supposedly been slow to bounce back so far from last season's knee injury. I've been reading only good things about Meier so don't know what the deal is there. Whalen I think will be a roster cut as on top of Caste adherent Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have added "Chucky" Gruden's younger brother Jay as their offensive coordinator. Chucky never met a White receiver he wouldn't cut and I doubt his brother is any different. Wouldn't surprise me if both Whalen and Shipley are sent packing as Cincy is a graveyard when it comes to White players other than QBs and the occasional o-lineman.

Bernard Scott and the Law Firm both have minor injuries, which explains Leonard playing so much in the first quarter. I can see both of them being banged up during the regular season as well, but even then the team would likely hire a "real" running back off the street rather than let Leonard start.
When Shipley was drafted by the Bungels, I had a bad feeling in my gut that it wouldn't go well. Others on this site expressed their reservations too. I really hope he moves on to greener pastures. Whalen too, but his NFL career could be over, as it appears has happened to Blair White, if he is cut.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shipley was cut today. Gotta love how good old Weenieworld phrases this: "Shipley had his lone productive NFL season (52 catches, 600 yards) under first-year Jacksonville offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski back in 2010."

Lone? It was his only NFL season before his injury last year. It should read: "Shipley was productive immediately in the NFL, racking up an impressive 52 catches and 600 yards in his rookie season in 2010." But let's not confuse Weenieworld with the facts. Hopefully Jordan can get healthy and catch on with another team.

Bengals waived WR Jordan Shipley. Shipley is now eligible to be claimed off waivers, although his health is an obvious issue. Slow to recover from ACL surgery, Shipley was spotted by the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy following Thursday night's preseason game with an icepack on his knee. "The knee was not responding," Reedy tweeted. If a team does want to give Shipley a look, the Jaguars make sense. Shipley had his lone productive NFL season (52 catches, 600 yards) under first-year Jacksonville offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski back in 2010.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yeah the Jaguars do make sense I'm sure Gabbert would love to have a sure handed receiver in Shipley and it would definitely help his chances as a starting QB. The media is really hoping he falls flat on his face so the Jags can draft a real QB next year like Geno SMith or Logan Thomas. You know those guys with cannon arms and endless amounts of upside.. :mmph:

Riddlewire

Master
Passing records will fall this season.
These replacement refs aren't calling holding at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they had been instructed to ignore it. Any team planning a run-heavy offense will just be throwing away downs this season. For as long as the replacements stick around, anyway.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Passing records will fall this season.
These replacement refs aren't calling holding at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they had been instructed to ignore it. Any team planning a run-heavy offense will just be throwing away downs this season. For as long as the replacements stick around, anyway.

thats what happened last year with a ref behind the offensive line rather than dline the holding calls should have went up, they did but not as much as they should have, and passing records were broken. However, I don't think its a waste to run, as teams have geared more to stop the pass, getting smaller coverage guys, the easier it should be to have a big back to break through for big gains. The Saints game is evidence of that, you don't even need a big back, Jennings was averaging like 10 yards per run with huge holes and nobody tackling properly.

Gerhart is looking great, 6 carries for 30 yards, 1 catch for 19 yards. Harrison Smith just made a nice play, the announcers are praising both players.

Riddlewire

Master
I'm watching Dolphins-Panthers.
Newton's got so much time to throw he could go cash a recruiting check and return before anyone got near him.
It's ridiculous.

dwid

Hall of Famer
....and it looks like all but two completions to tight ends and backs.

Damn, Andy Tanner looked to have a good shot at making it on the Saints
this year, his own teammate landed on his leg as well as the defender, looked to be bad the way his knee bent.

edit: well looks like he might not have made it this year anyway, as Joe Morgan who is also competing, not doing well at all this preseason, made one big homerun on busted coverage against 2nd stringers just now. As someone mentioned earlier, thats all it takes for an afflete to be considered to have tremendous "upside" despite that this isn't his first year and can't run routes to save his life.

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Saw the Andy Tanner play/injury too:angry: Hope that it is not too serious...because it sure looked ugly. He was making a strong case to make the team with his 4.4 speed getting open at will and catching everything!

Saints LB Chris Chamberlain was also injured earlier...had been playing some solid ball!

The replacement refs are horrible! The NFL makes enough money $$... better have them for the regular season!

dwid

Hall of Famer
I didn't like the old refs, was hoping these guys would eventually get better to show that they are expendable but its been terrible. The pass interference call on Will Herring was the worst, perfect pass break up and flagged, hope the coaches noticed that it was a great play. He is fighting for playing time at linebacker, has been used occasionally on passing downs, was hoping he could earn a starting role, as there is no clearcut guy opposite of Shanle.I

just thought of something for dwfs to ponder on, since the NFL has become so pass happy with the rules, schemes etc. why are there so few truly elite black receivers? Out of the few Whites given a shot we have Jordy Nelson and Wes Welker. Technically Nelson has a few more years to prove that he is but he should have been starting a long time ago. Austin Collie, Eric Decker and Riley Cooper have shown flashes that they could be when used correctly with Collie and Decker getting chances to showcase themselves again this year . With Whites having to fight to get a real shot and blacks being pumped into the league by the dozens every season you would think there would be a higher amount.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't like the old refs, was hoping these guys would eventually get better to show that they are expendable but its been terrible. The pass interference call on Will Herring was the worst, perfect pass break up and flagged, hope the coaches noticed that it was a great play. He is fighting for playing time at linebacker, has been used occasionally on passing downs, was hoping he could earn a starting role, as there is no clearcut guy opposite of Shanle.

The Saints signed David Hawthorne to be their WLB. I haven't read anything to indicate that he's not entrenched as the starter there.

TwentyTwo

Master
Almost had to do a double-take...Saints playing a white CB Nick Hixson *rookie* from tiny Hillsdale...here is hoping this long-shot can at least land on the practice squad...

Hawthorne was not very impressive in the 1st half...should not have spot locked-up...Chamberlain & Herring giving him some competition.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rookie LB Audie Cole had two interceptions and returned them both for TDs for Minnesota. He even made BSPN's highlights. He's currently listed as the third string MLB but the talent in front of him is journeyman caliber at best. He has a good chance to be starting in the middle or the weak side within a season or two. Would be nice to see another White starter on defense for the Vikings, and without having to serve out a four year racial apprenticeship as Brian Robison was forced to do.

Rookie LB Audie Cole had two interceptions and returned them both for TDs for Minnesota. He even made BSPN's highlights. He's currently listed as the third string MLB but the talent in front of him is journeyman caliber at best. He has a good chance to be starting in the middle or the weak side within a season or two. Would be nice to see another White starter on defense for the Vikings, and without having to serve out a four year racial apprenticeship as Brian Robison was forced to do.

A good write up on Audie Cole. Even uses the taboo word "athletic".

It didn't take Audie Cole very long to count the number of interceptions he's returned for touchdowns in his 23 years on this earth.

"Counting tonight?" he asked. "Two."

Even a hot start by quarterbackChristian Ponder and the Vikings' offense was overshadowed by Cole, the big, athletic linebacker who had pick-six returns of 20 and 30 yards on back-to-back plays -- just 13 seconds apart -- late in the fourth quarter of Friday's 36-14 preseason victory over Buffalo at Mall of America Field.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier indicated that Cole, a rookie seventh-round draft pick taken 210th overall, has increased his chances of making the 53-man roster on a team desperate for depth at linebacker.

"He seems to be one of those guys who maybe is someone who just has a knack for making the big play," Frazier said. "His first play as a pro last week [in San Francisco], he gets a sack. And now he has two touchdowns in one game."
On the first touchdown, Bills quarterbackTyler Thigpen tried to throw the ball over Cole's head. Big problem, since Cole stands an Urlacher-esque 6-5

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/166615256.html