2012 NFL Preseason

dwid

Hall of Famer
I started out on the Jets game, but I switched to Kansas City as soon as that came on. So I didn't see Tim take any snaps from the QB position.
However, I did see one highlight of his this morning. I'm not sure if it was a designed QB keeper or Tim just saw a breakdown and took off quickly but he turned it into a long gain up the middle.
What stood out most to me, though, was how fast he looked. Much faster than I've ever seen him. He ran with the speed of a scatback. I think all the extra running he has done on special teams work has given him a significant boost in speed. I know we all want Tebow to replace Sanchez at QB, but the Jets are only hurting themselves by not giving him a try at tailback.
amen, Ive been saying that since he got into the league, especially now with the Jets. I didn't notice that he was that much faster than when in his college days, just that before with the Broncos he would run a little more cautious at times. The Jets really don't have anyone great at tailback. Greene is a slug, can't get to the outside and can't move the pile, McKnight can't run inside. I figured the best bet
is to use McKnight as the guy coming on the sweep in the wildcat which is what I guess they are planning to do, just read that the Bengals coach asked Ryan not to run any wildcat plays in last night's game. Wildcat qb is nice but he needs to run the ball more than 5 or 6 times a game.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Shipley was on IR last season. You're thinking of his rookie year of 2010.

I've also read that he might be cut, supposedly because he's looked sluggish coming off his injury. Typical short leash for a White player, but it's only training camp filler at this point. So much of the media stuff this time of year is pure fluff -- mostly high praise for players but also worst case scenarios for others. And the corporate media "reporters" are such lazy herd animals that once a report, good or bad, appears on a player, they often mimic it to the point that it becomes accepted wisdom.

I stand corrected. He looked good that first season. Shipley was solid in his reserved role of slot receiver. If he is cut I don't know if he'll get another opportunity to play as much anywhere as he did his first season in Cincinnati. 52 receptions for 600 yards in part time duties isn't shabby.

I stand corrected. He looked good that first season. Shipley was solid in his reserved role of slot receiver. If he is cut I don't know if he'll get another opportunity to play as much anywhere as he did his first season in Cincinnati. 52 receptions for 600 yards in part time duties isn't shabby.

Shipley's just had an injury plagued football career, it seems like he played for 7 or 8 seasons with the Longhorns.

Somebody mentioned Blair White earlier in the thread, that's another guy that had a really bad string of injures, he had at least 3 back surguries, and last I heard he had retired and was going to become a dentist. For his sake I hope that's true, there's only so much punishment the human body can take before it starts taking a really heavy toll on you down the road.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Shipley's just had an injury plagued football career, it seems like he played for 7 or 8 seasons with the Longhorns.

Somebody mentioned Blair White earlier in the thread, that's another guy that had a really bad string of injures, he had at least 3 back surguries, and last I heard he had retired and was going to become a dentist. For his sake I hope that's true, there's only so much punishment the human body can take before it starts taking a really heavy toll on you down the road.

That really sucks! It's just so frustrating any time a white receiver or running back has injuries because we have so few players at the position., Every injury is huge.

TwentyTwo

Master
Yeah it was a minor miracle Shipley finished at Texas with so many injuries...hopefully he can overcome another one!

Saints WR-Andy Tanner is definitely opening some eyes...the announcers were raving over him!

Defensive Play of Thursday Night... Chargers OLB Ricky Elmore catches the RB from behind on short pass and forces the fumble(Bront Bird recovered)..playing with some fire vs. his former team (Packers) that cut him. Like former team college team mate Brooks Reed(Texans) would expect Elmore to become a starter!

Texans vs Panthers now starting...Cushing not starting?? Or J.J. Watt...but WR's Walter & Maehl are starting!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Panthers' TV network listed Maehl and Walter as starters, but Maehl wasn't on the field at all for Houston's initial drive, which ended with a field goal. I don't expect Maehl to make the team.

Watt and Cushing both have non-serious injuries. As expected, the Texans unveiled their new o-line, which is all sumo except for center.

An untouched Brooks Reed sacked Newton, then he and Barwin combined for a tackle on Newton on the next play.

Kuechly already all over the field for Carolina making tackles and just caused a fumble by Arian "Sieg Heil" Foster.

Texans and Carolina on...Reed's already sacked Cam Newton and Newton was also stuffed by Connor Barwin on the very next play.

J J Watt has an elbow injury and will not be ready until the start of the regular season.

Kuechly just forced a fumble that was recovered by Carolina. Good start for white defenders in this game.

Looking for a Brenton Bersin sighting.

Riddlewire

Master
If the replacement refs last too deep into the season, Carolina is going to demolish the NFL. Because they're not going to call holding at all. And that's exactly what the run-n-shoot thrives on.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Schaub's under a lot of pressure. It's obviously too early to draw any conclusions about Houston's "new look" o-line, but if they struggle offensively this season it'll be because of the line.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The running scroll at the bottom of the Houston-Carolina game has Gerhart at 5 rushes for 31 yards against San Fran's touted defense, an average of over 6 yards per carry. Very nice to see he and Hillis (and Woodhead) off to solid starts, always important for White RBs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Kuechly will be the lone pale face starting on the Panthers. He's going to be very good though.

It's not because of a lack of talent. Besides Phillips' interception, Thomas Keiser had a nice sack. He was called up from the practice squad last season and promptly had 4 sacks in just 2 games before just as quickly being demoted to his rightful, lowly position as a backup.

Jordan Senn was getting an amazing 14 tackles a game when pressed into "emergency" starting duty at LB last year when his affletic superiors were injured. I don't know when exactly he came into tonight's game, but he had an incredible 13 tackles in about a half of play. He remains firmly entrenched as a backup.

Riddlewire

Master
Tennessee's defensive line is undoubtedly the weakest that any NFL team has ever fielded. This game is comical. Seattle is embarrasing the Titans' d-line. It looks like NFL vs NAIA.

Tennessee's defensive line is undoubtedly the weakest that any NFL team has ever fielded. This game is comical. Seattle is embarrasing the Titans' d-line. It looks like NFL vs NAIA.

Kluge is their best lineman and had the most number of sacks last year even though he was a rookie defensive tackle :pound:. But really Kluge and McCarthy are their two best defensive players and their both just starting their NFL careers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Klug accomplished that as a part-time player. Afflete Jurrell Casey also did well as a rookie DT last year, but he was a starter. Of course he gets all the hype going into this season. I am very optimistic about Klug and Derrick Wolfe. Finally we get some opportunities for Whites at DT; Kyle Williams and the now finished Kelly Gregg have been holding down the fort for years. Second year man Chris Nield of the Redskins also has some promise.

Defensive tackle should correspond to strength foremost and quickness secondarily, in other words it would be White dominated in a color blind NFL.

TwentyTwo

Master
Give me DT's Justin Smith (4.64 at 295) & Kyle Williams on a starting All-Star team anyday!

Marc Mariani had a nice long reception!

Colin McCarthy had an INT ...back-up DT Zach Clayton looked good the limited time he played

Will Jake Locker overtake the veteran Hasslebeck??

Jordan Senn is a tackling machine! Luke Kuechly is on another level!

Last edited:
Klug accomplished that as a part-time player. Afflete Jurrell Casey also did well as a rookie DT last year, but he was a starter. Of course he gets all the hype going into this season. I am very optimistic about Klug and Derrick Wolfe. Finally we get some opportunities for Whites at DT; Kyle Williams and the now finished Kelly Gregg have been holding down the fort for years. Second year man Chris Nield of the Redskins also has some promise.

Defensive tackle should correspond to strength foremost and quickness secondarily, in other words it would be White dominated in a color blind NFL.

Another very good White DT to keep an eye on this year is Derek Landri. After getting shafted by the NFL year after year it looks like he MIGHT finally get a legit shot with the Eagles this year. I've heard him in interviews talk about how coaches just don't see him as "typical" NFL DT for "some reason." He seems very pissed about it and no doubt Derek knows the score.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's not because of a lack of talent. Besides Phillips' interception, Thomas Keiser had a nice sack. He was called up from the practice squad last season and promptly had 4 sacks in just 2 games before just as quickly being demoted to his rightful, lowly position as a backup.

Jordan Senn was getting an amazing 14 tackles a game when pressed into "emergency" starting duty at LB last year when his affletic superiors were injured. I don't know when exactly he came into tonight's game, but he had an incredible 13 tackles in about a half of play. He remains firmly entrenched as a backup.

The one depth chart I saw yesterday had Kuechly as starting. Now I read this article and Kluechy is listed as the number two guy so it's possible he doesn't start.

[h=1]Checking out Panthers' depth chart[/h] August, 7, 2012 Aug 7
5:29
PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- The Carolina Panthers put out their first depth chart Tuesday afternoon. Let me emphasize this is an unofficial depth chart, but there are several things that jump out at me.

car.gif
Let’s start with one thing that’s very atypical for the Panthers, who generally are the most conservative team in the NFC South when it comes to such matters. The Panthers are listing rookie Amini Silatolu as the No. 1 left guard. That probably will be the case come opening day, but the Panthers generally don’t list rookies as starters on their first preseason depth chart. Instead, they give veterans every benefit of the doubt. But I think this is a pretty good sign that the Panthers aren’t really counting on veterans like Mike Pollak or Bruce Campbell to start. I’d say an injury is about the only thing that would prevent Silatolu from being the starter when the regular season opens.

But the flip side of this is that the Panthers are listing first-round draft choice Luke Kuechly as the No. 2 weak-side linebacker behind veteran Thomas Davis. Kuechly has been working with the first team throughout training camp. This one purely is a courtesy to Davis, who is trying to come back from his third torn ACL. Kuechly is pretty much guaranteed a starting job in the regular season.

Another item worth noting is that Derek Anderson is listed as the No. 2 quarterback behind Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen is No. 3. Coach Ron Rivera was asked after Tuesday’s practice if Anderson was the backup and the coach didn’t hesitate to affirm that. It looks like Clausen, who started as a rookie in 2010, is looking at another season of being the third quarterback.

The Panthers are listing Sherrod Martin as their starting free safety and that could end up being the case in the regular season. But all indications out of Carolina’s camp are that Martin is very much in competition with free-agent addition Haruki Nakamura for the starting job.

I’ve also been told that the Panthers view the punter and kicker jobs as serious competitions. They’re listing veteran Olindo Mare No. 1 and Justin Medlock No. 2 at kicker and Nick Harris as the No. 1 punter with rookie Brad Nortman as No. 2. But the order at both spots could change, depending on what happens in the preseason games.

Riddlewire

Master
Andrew Luck
1 Pass
1 Touchdown

I wonder if the media will still be raving about Griffin's "awesome start" now.

Highlander

Mentor
Andrew Luck
1 Pass
1 Touchdown

I wonder if the media will still be raving about Griffin's "awesome start" now.
If I didn't know any better, and from the attention of the media, I would've assumed that Griffin was the #1 pick of the 2012 NFL Draft and Luck was just another post-draft White free agent signing.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Luck looked very good today. I watched the redskins game and was not all that impressed with Griffin. I really hope Griffin busts epically even though the media were really talking up his preseason performance.