2007 NFL preseason

Heath Evans had a strong game tonight for the Patriots against the Panthers. He had 7 carries for 58 yards, a great average, along with a rushing touchdown. He also caught 2 balls for 19 yards and TD. It's hard to tell without the great blocking tight end Kyle Brady in there just yet, but the Patriots might do a lot more with Evans in the traditional 2 back set to run the ball, as opposed to the two tight end blocking system they've used the last two years. (especially with the departure of great blocking tight end Dan Graham.) This is sort of a lose-lose situation for the white players on the Pats. Tight ends Kyle Brady and David Thomas (who could be another Jason Witten type receving threat and future pro bowler)will either lose the playing time, or Heath Evans will. I don't see Ben Watson losing any.(even though he's inferior to Thomas at receiving the ball, supposedly his strength, he's been a disappointment thus far) Heath spent a lot of time with the first team offense tonight, possibly a chance for him to get more carries. Also, the announcers talked about Evans favorably, even remarking that he had some nice "shifty runs."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Everything I read and hear talks only about Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk as Maroney's backups, never Evans. Yet Evans continues to get touches and is an obvious running and receiving talent.

As we've mentioned before, Maroney was hurt in his rookie season and has sat out most of training camp. That to me indicates a possibly injury prone runner, yet Maroney has been penciled to carry the load this season. Who knows, Evans could surprise big time if things break right.

What's pathetic is that I have yet to see a white player get more than a token carry other than Evans and Leonard. Best as I can tell, not a single team has a white tailback in camp, even as fifth string fodder for the affletes. Wonder what the professional racists would be saying if no teams had black quarterbacks competing even for backup spots, or had no black assistant coaches, or less than black domination anywhere other than kicker and long snapper.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Derek Landri, Jags DT had a nice showing with 2 sacks, Bennett and Looker had several nice catches each...

nhl411

Guru
i didn't see the evan's run on espn highlights: did i just miss it or did they ignore it? ( i hope its the first one but probably the 2nd)

guest301

Hall of Famer
Evans did have a nice run only to have the TV announcers spoil it by making sarcastic comments like the one I beleive Dan Dierdorf made that "Evans suprised himself with that run". He didn't suprise anybody at this site with that run and I doubt he suprised himself.

whiteafflete15 said:
Heath Evans had a strong game tonight for the Patriots against the Panthers. He had 7 carries for 58 yards, a great average, along with a rushing touchdown. He also caught 2 balls for 19 yards and TD. It's hard to tell without the great blocking tight end Kyle Brady in there just yet, but the Patriots might do a lot more with Evans in the traditional 2 back set to run the ball, as opposed to the two tight end blocking system they've used the last two years. (especially with the departure of great blocking tight end Dan Graham.) This is sort of a lose-lose situation for the white players on the Pats. Tight ends Kyle Brady and David Thomas (who could be another Jason Witten type receving threat and future pro bowler)will either lose the playing time, or Heath Evans will. I don't see Ben Watson losing any.(even though he's inferior to Thomas at receiving the ball, supposedly his strength, he's been a disappointment thus far) Heath spent a lot of time with the first team offense tonight, possibly a chance for him to get more carries. Also, the announcers talked about Evans favorably, even remarking that he had some nice "shifty runs."
The way I see it, its either Evans getting lots of time in 2-back sets or Welker in 3-receiver sets.

Not both.

Tom Iron

Mentor
The interesting thing is that although the braodcasters always point out the good hits on defense, they almost always refrain from mentioning the overall lousy tackling in the league. Really bad.

Tom Iron...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
whiteafflete15 said:
Same interview with coach Fisher.........

Can you comment on your decision to go with Chris Henry?

Fisher: "Chris Brown got the chance to run with the starters last week. We wanted to see Chris [Henry] have the opportunity to run behind the starting offensive line."

Is it too early to tell how he did?

Fisher: "Yes, I would have to see the tape."

Really coach? Because I wouldn't. He stunk up the field. The reporter even knows it. But he's too much of a pussy to question black athletic superiority, so he asks if it's too early to tell. They have to defend the guy every chance they get. You know if that was Leonard they'd be asking if the coach will bench him the next game. It's a damn shame, the Titans have no running back and they passed on a great talent like Leonard, who could've been that feature back. Instead, they chose an awful back who they fell in love with because of some stupid combine numbers. If he sucks in college, do you really believe he'll be a star in the NFL? The Titans might as well start recruiting the black water boys for college football teams to play for them. It's a shame, there's too many good talented backs (especially whites) who deserve a chance and will never get one, while this dud stinks up the field.

White Athlete great post, I have said the same thing before in another thread. I couldn't agree more with how angry I am that Tennessee drafted Henry and his paltry 3.5 yards a carry from college to be their featured RB and Leonard is stuck behind the 2nd or 3rd best fantasy RB in the league as a backup.

I started a thread on Footballs future a few weeks back in the Tennessee forum called "Chris Henry the worst pick of the second round". I basically stated that the Titans are fools for passing on Leonard for Henry. I don't have time b/c of work commitments right now but could use some help from others on that thread. It would be perfect to post links to articles about Leonard like the one from Mike Golic basically asking the question if Leonard is being underrated possibly b/c he's white or the ones about Leonard's performance at the Senior Bowl and in training camp to back up my arguments.

Leonard had a bit of a let down in his second pre-season game after a decent 1st one, but Henry has been outright atrocious. I would really appreciate the help on that thread especially with posting links to news articles we have cited.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Dane Looker and Brian Leonard looked good on Rams first drive, for Patriots Heath Evans did some running and Jeremy Shockey had 4 catches for 47 yards in what will probably be his only series of the game.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Players worth noting, week 4 of the preseason:

Scott Mayle WR Bills: 4 catches for 35 yards, he might get a shot at PS after this game

Jim Leonhard S Bills: 6 tackles

Reed Doughty S Redskins: 4 tackles

Greg Estandia TE Jaguars: 4 catches for 46 yards

Isaac Smolko TE Jaguars: 3 catches for 21 yards and a TD

Derek Landri DT Jaguars: 4 tackles and half a sack

Heath Evans RB Patriots: 7 runs for 16 yards and a TD plus 1 catch for 8 yards

Garrett Mills HB Patriots: 4-22

Jeremy Shockey TE Giants: 4-47, Kevin Boss had 3-17

Chase Blackburn MLB Giants: 7 tackles plus forced and recovered fumble, team's leading tackler

Craig Dahl S Giants: team's second leading tackler with 6, plus a nice interception
smiley32.gif

Zak DeOssie LB Giants had 3 tackles

Kyle Eckel got 3 yards on what will probably be his last carry in the NFL and most certainly last for Dolphins
smiley11.gif

Chase Page DT Dolphins: 5 tackles

Kevin Dudley FB Saints: 3 carries for 10 yards and 4 catches for 17 yards

Chris Reis S Saints had a great game: team's leading tackler with 6 plus 2 interceptions!
smiley32.gif
2 of his tackles were for no gain, he also noted 4 pass break-ups!!!
Kevin Kaesviharn and Troy Evans had 3 tackles each for Saints

for Jets MLB Anthony Schlegel had 6 tackles, safety Ray Ventrone had 4 and DE Mike Devito had 2 tackles and a sack

for Eagles both white WRs fighting for a roster spot showed their skills: Zac Collie had 4 catches for 49 yards and a TD and Mike Gasperson had 3 catches for 48 yards with longest going for 39 yards. my guess is one of them gets rewarded a practice squad spot...
smiley19.gif

Brent Celek TE had 4 catches for 26 yards and on defense Stewart Bradley recorded 4 tackles to Matt McCoy's 3.

Titans' Kyle Vanden Bosch had 4 tackles including a sack

Jerhame Urban Cowboys WR had a great game, gaining 105 yards on 3 punt returns including a great 95 yard TD!
smiley32.gif
he also added 4 catches for 18 yards. TE Adam Bergen had 4 catches for 24 yards.

Bobby Carpenter recorded 4 tackles for Cowboys.

Heath Farwell, Vikings LB was game's leading tackler with 9 plus 1 FF.

for Bears David Ball wasn't going to just roll over and wait for them to cut him. he proved he belonged in this league by catching 4 passes for 40 yards. it's probably a vain effort but maybe some other team wil pick him up after that.

Mike Hass had just 1 catch but this 9 yarder went for a TD!
smiley32.gif

this is from bears.com:

"Gould missed a 53-yard attempt early in the third quarter. But wide receiver Mike Hass made a sensational 9-yard TD reception to draw the Bears to within 9-3 midway through the period.

Hass leaped high over Browns cornerback DeMario Minter in the right corner of the end zone to haul in the pass from quarterback Chris Leak.

On the play immediately preceding the touchdown, receiver David Ball made a remarkable one-handed catch in the same corner of the end zone. But Ball was out of bounds on the play."

for Rams Dane Looker had a great game with 4 receptions for 45 yards. Brian Leonard had 20 yards on 7 carries plus 2 catches for 15 yards.
on defense, Rams two leading tacklers were Trevor DE (is he white? not 100% sure)and Todd S Johnson with 6 tackles a piece. Trevor had 2 sacks.
Rams LB Tim McGraigle had 4 tackles and run ending interception in the end zone
smiley1.gif

LB Clint Kriewalt had an interception for Steelers.

Bucs WR Chas Gessner did not have a single ball thrown his way, making his roster spot very unsecure...

Chris Horn also made it difficult for Panthers to cut him. WR had 5 catches for 43 yards.
on defense both DE David Ball (5 tackles, 0.5 sack) and Tim Shaw (4 tackles) enjoyed good games.

Sabby Piscitelli, Bucs S had 2 tackles and his second interception of the preseason!
smiley32.gif

Edited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
Eric Weddle had a nice interception return for 24 yards!

WR Sean Morey had 2 catches for 21 yards for Arizona.

Nate Jackson had 2 catches for 33 yards for Broncos.Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Joe Klopfenstein had 1 for 6Edited by: Colonel_Reb

referendum

Mentor
Is it just me or does it seem that white players are doing more this preseason than in the past, or is this normal?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It could be, referendum, but I think we are also paying more attention to the whites playing this year. We will have to wait until Sunday to see how many will make rosters and then see if they are used as fillers or are used for their talents in a correct fashion over the course of the season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Backrow does a great job of compiling the game stats of white players, I think this is the first time we've had them in this kind of methodical fashion for the preseason. But like Col. Reb says we'll have to wait and see what happens Sunday because starters play little or not at all in the final preseason game, and a fair amount of the white guys compiling stats tonight and through the rest of the games this week are going to be cut. Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One major fantasy site reported several hours ago that rookie TE Greg Olsen of the Bears, who has every attribute needed to be an elite player at his position, left the game tonight with a knee injury. You hear the words "knee injury" and everyone assumes the worst. ButI've checked a few other sites and they have nothing on Olsen being hurt so hopefully it's something minor. I draftedOlsen on 3 different teams this summer because I think he can be as good as any of the top tight ends in the league today. It would be a shame if he has a torn ACL or some other debilitating injury that needs a year or more of rehabilitation.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Olsen will undergo an MRI exam today.

and in last two games yesterday, we've had some reason to be happy:

Chargers S Eric Weddle and CB Steve Gregory were team's leading tacklers with 6 a pop on top of which Eric added two interceptions, going to total 3 int in his first preseason. he also had 4 pass break-ups!
smiley32.gif

for San Francisco Jeff Ulbrich had 9 tackles and Zach Hilton had his second preseason TD on his only catch of the game, 21 yard loop. RB Zak Keasey had a couple of carries and catches.

unfortunately Logan Payne failed to record a reception, so i'm guessing he's as good as gone from Seahawks...
Cameron Jensen and Nico Koutouvides had 4 tackles a piece.

Kyle Shotwell, Raiders LB helped himself by leading his team with 7 tackles. another white LB, Ricky Brown added 5 tackles and a pass defended.

backrow

Hall of Famer
last two games of the preseason:

John Standeford had a nice showing for Colts, catching 7 balls for 52 yards in the first half only!
Rocky Boiman had a nice game, led Colts with 5 tackles.
Brannon Condren played at FS and recorded his first NFL tackles (3).
Dan Klecko recorded a sack and a forced fumble.
Jeff Charlton had his third sack of the preseason.

Caleb Miller, Bengals LB had a great game, was in on 8 tackles and returned a fumble 46 yards for a TD!
smiley32.gif
. Caleb also had 3 pass break-ups.

Atlanta DEsPaul Carrington and Josh Mallard had 2 tackles and a sack each.

Ryan Riddle, Ravens LB had a great game registering 4 tackles and 2 sacks.Edited by: backrow