2007 NFL preseason

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Colts placed DT Quinn Pitcock on the "reserve/drafted-unsigned list." Anyone know what that is?

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bucs:
Ruud so far is a big hit for Bucs in the training camp, he will sit out Friday game vs Patriots though:

"He is stepping up; he's a good player," Gruden said of Ruud. "He stepped up last year when Quarles was out. He's a good middle linebacker....... with a chance to become outstanding. We've got to play great around him, too. The other linebackers have got to play great. Upfront, we've got to play great. Our safety people and our corners - we've all got to step up. ........But Barrett Ruud is going to be a leader here, and he is asserting himself right now."

Sabby is doing great as well, especially in coverage. WR Chas Gessner is having a good camp, but since last year he was outstanding and still didn't make an active roster, chances are he'll get cut...

Bengals:
Dan Burks got injured in Friday scrimmage, so i guess it's pretty save to say that his NFL dreams are all over. Bengals brought another RB, Curtis Brown and not Ryan Englebert who they were suppose to be real high on...

Patriots:
Play of the Day
WR Wes Welker 20-yard touchdown catch
In red-zone action, QB Tom Brady dropped back to pass and spotted Welker open along the end line, running toward the back corner pylon. Throwing off his back foot, Brady lobbed a perfect pass to Welker, who got free in between two defenders.

Dave Thomas is still on PUP

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Welker will shine if given a chance, but its too bad about those other guys.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Colts DT Anthony "Booger" McFarland is out for most if not all of the season with a knee injury. This gives Dan Klecko and Quinn Pitcock a chance to replace him, unless they get a veteran from another team. I hope Klecko gets it, personally.

Bear Backer

Mentor
backrow said:
i guess i spoke too soon about Dvoracek being a starter for Bears, they just brought holdout Darwin Walker from Bills (previously Eagles)...

I think he will eventually be the starter. They seem to be high on him and still have him pretty much competing for a job even though he is a virtual rookie. Even if he isn't the "starter" the Bears do alot of heavy rotation for their defensive line and most of them usually see significant time on the field. From what I understand about this Darwin Walker he is pretty quick and is a good pass rusher but not so good at stopping the run, so Dusty will probably see alot of time during running situations.

voice

Guru
lumsdenpower said:
John Kuhn did not play ?

and someone have news about Steve Gregory the cornerback of Chargers?

They let Kuhn block to get the 4.8 RB's (Russell and Davies) the rock

Makes complete sense
smiley7.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Dan Burks was waived

Dustin Fox has been hampered by an achilles injury
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Undrafted WR Logan Payne out of Minnesota is trying to make the Seahawks and according to this article has a chance. Uh, Minnesota, isn't that where the amazingly talented 6'5" Aaron Hosack is from,the receiverwho'sstill getting kicked around the NFL without getting a single opportunity to play in the regular season?

And the Seahawks? Isn't that Mikey Holmgren's team? Good luck, Logan, you're going to need a whole bunch of it.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/127425.html

backrow

Hall of Famer
lumsdenpower said:
John Kuhn did not play ?

and someone have news about Steve Gregory the cornerback of Chargers?

Chargers seem to like Gregory, although he remains as a longshot to make a roster (how weird is that...). he is working out at both CB and safety so maybe this versatility plus his excellent work ethic and ST play will get him a roster spot.

C Darwin

Mentor
Mike Furrey had one reception for 24 yards in the Lions pre-season opener against the Bengals.

jared

Mentor
Kevin Kasper had 4 catches for 47 yards and the game-winning TD. He also had one rushing attempt and fielded two kick returns.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in the Colts-Cowboys game: for the Colts at receiver,Brian Hare made a spectacular one-handed grab that was ruled out of bounds, but he also had two other short receptions for 17 yards. John Standeford only had one catch for 11 yards, but he was open all night (nothing new there) including in the end zone for a long score, but the pass was well underthrown and intercepted.

Anthony Gonzalez played a lot with the first-team offense. he looked VERYexplosive on his one reception for 14 yards. it might just be me, but when they were on the field together,Anthony looked like he was a LOT bigger than Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne...

on defense, Matt Giordano started at safety, but didn't show much. defense end Jeff Charlestion was all over the field, though, including getting a sack and rookie safety Scott Ware was very active.

for the Cowboys, wide receiver Jerheme Urban looked big and showed good hands, but didn't get many opportunities. he did get nailed with a big hit on a punt return, though. i hated to see that. tight end/H-back Anthony Fasano showed why he should have a big year alongside Jason Witten.

on defense, the Player Of The Game was unheralded defensive tackle Pete Lougheed from Purdue. he had 5 solo tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble.
smiley32.gif

Bobby Carpenter was still playing with the back-ups...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chas Gessner, the 6' 5" Ivy Leaguer with great hands is tryingfor the fifth consecutive seasonto make an NFL team. Unfortunately that team is coached by Jon Gruden. It can't be repeated often enough-- here's yet another capable white wide receiver being screwed by the NFL.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBY71OZ55F.html

Heath Evans played nicely for the Patriots in their first preseason game. He had 6 rushes for 21 yards, with a long run of 11 yards, as well as two catches. I won't be surprised to see him get a few touches this year, more than last year I'm assuming. I think Evans will often be used as the 3rd string runningback behind backup Sammy Morris and starter Laurence Maroney; they won't want to exhaust older, small scat back in every-down situations. They will to reserve him as a receiver 3rd down scat back. If Morris goes down with an injury, expect Evans and Faulk to share the backfield to spell Maroney. Hey, better than nothing I guess.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Sean Ryan, big Irish TE had 2 TDs for Jets, hopefully he can establis himself as a passing threat in what will be his 5th year in the league.

Jeb Putzier had a TD for Texans,in the same game David Ball caught 2 balls for 24 yards, Greg Olsen had 2 for 17 yards, Mike Hass had an empty stat line...
Dusty Dvoracek started in what seemed to be Bears first team defense sans Urlacher, and so did Hillenmeyer and Archuleta (this season it will most likley be 4 white starters on Bears D, i like that!).
Trent Bray, Texans LB was the game leading tackler.

Tim Shaw had 5 tackles for Panthers and Craig Dahl, listed as a CB by NFL.com had team high 5 tackles for Giants. Giants LB Zak DeOssie had 3 tackles including a sack. Chris Horn, Panthers WR had 2 catches for 24 yards.

John Kuhn, Steelers RB had 2 carries for 3 yards, WR Dan Sheldon fielded one punt...

Matt Jones had two receptions for 43 yards, longest went for 24 and was second on his team at receiver.

Jon McGraw had game high 6 tacles for Chiefs.

Dolphins RB/FB Kyle Eckel didnt get one ball to show his talent, i guess he's not going to make it... he is a third fullback behind Cory Schlesinger and Regan Mauia, whose only accomplishment in college was to run through a drywall and posting it on youtube...
Matt Roth had a sack for Miami.

Hosack, Karney and Kevin Dudley had one ball each for Saints on short receptions, Karney had a carry fr 7 yards as well. Eric Johnson had 2 catches for 17 yards.
Troy Evans, LB had 3 tackles and a sack.
Tyler Palko had a great game, running for 47 yards and passing for 172.
Posluszny had a monster of a game with 9 tackles and a sack, DiGiogio had 4 tackles, Wendling had 3 and Coy Wire 5 tackles for Bills.

Rams-Vikings
Brian Leonard had a good game, 9 carries for 36 yards and a nice 10 yard TD run, plus 30 yards on 5 receptions

pl_1228187.jpg

(overshadowing highly touted Vikings rookie RB Adrian Peterson who had only 33 yards on 11 carries and 1 catch, thanks to good play of Carriker and Rams D).

pl_1228164.jpg

Todd Johnson had 3 tackles for Rams, Aaron Walker, TE had 3 catches for 27 yards and Drew Bennett 3 for 15 yards.

for Vikings several white players had good games: heath Farwell had 10 tackles and a sack, Vinnie Ciurciu had 5 tackles and a sack, Brian Robinson had 3 tackles and a sack. Greenway started but didnt play much.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice report, backrow. I see you're already in regular season form!
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
thanks Don,
smiley36.gif

Chargers - Seahawks

WR Greg Camarillo had 2 catches for 22 yards, TE Scott Chandler was 2nd on the team with 4 catches for 47 yards.
WR Logan Payne had 2 catches for 15 yards for Seahawks.

Ryon Bingham had 4 tackles, Eric Weddle had an interception in his first NFL game
smiley32.gif
CB Steve Gregory had 1 tackle. both Gregory and Weddle got injured in this game, it doesnt seem like anything serious though.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
aside from the starting line-ups, which revealed the near black-out of the NFL, there were a couple of lengthy Caste blurbs that took place during the Seattle-San Diego game.

the first took place when the "athletic" back-up right guard was on the field. according to Madden, the coaches "really want" Ray Willis to get the starting nod over starter Chris Gray.

Gray, a 15-year veteran, was the only white man to start for Seattle's offense aside from starting QB Matt Hasselbeck. Willis is, of course, black. it struck me as blatantly Caste, because Gray is a top-tier lineman who has no injury issues or anything like that to make an urgent need for such a switch. however, if the switch was made Seattle is a Hasselbeck injury away from a coal-black starting offense.

Seneca Wallace is the scatter-shot, scrambling back-up who was christened by Madden as an "all-star" at wide receiver if he ever decided to change positions because of his "tremendous" athleticism.
smiley5.gif

the second was after Greg Camarillo made each of his two catches. Madden pointed out that he was back-up quarterback Blly Volek's favorite receiver, but then he made sure to say it wasn't because of his talent. he said this after BOTH catches. it was just because they worked together a lot on the second team. he then went on to limit Camarillo further, saying while he does get open, is always where he is supposed to be, and catches any ball that gets near him, he's not a top-four receiver on the team, maybe not even top-five.
smiley5.gif
why? because he's not a real burner.

this is what must be overcome.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
also, i noticed for about the thousandth time how "important" size is when it comes to the tailback position... yeah, not so much.

the Chargers handed the ball off to four tailbacks. NONE of them were listed as taller than 5-10, and the best runner in the game was Darren Sproles who is generously listed as 5-6. this doesn't even take into account the fact that LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play.

Tomlinson,arguably the best tailback in the NFL, islisted as5-10.

so you can call BS on it the next time someone says a white tailback is "too small."

Jimmy Chitwood said:
also, i noticed for about the thousandth time how "important" size is when it comes to the tailback position... yeah, not so much.

the Chargers handed the ball off to four tailbacks. NONE of them were listed as taller than 5-10, and the best runner in the game was Darren Sproles who is generously listed as 5-6. this doesn't even take into account the fact that LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play.

Tomlinson, arguably the best tailback in the NFL, is listed as 5-10.

so you can call BS on it the next time someone says a white tailback is "too small."
The NFL is obsessed with size at every position...often times at the expense of talent. That's why there are so many great players in the CFL!Edited by: TorontoArgos

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
but that is just my point, TorontoArgos. we are told time and again that white running backs are too small!

this flies in the face of the FACT thata LARGE portion ofNFL tailbacks are 5-10 or shorter.

how people can be so blind is beyond me.