2007 NFL preseason

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Kevin "Kasper the friendly (white) ghost" reappeared as a receiver in a Detroit Lions uniform and caught a TD pass in their exhibition opener. He won't make the team though and I don't even know why they're playing him, maybe to give the black guys a break, it has been hot this summer....

Gi-15

Mentor
RB Gary Russell of the steelers got 9 carries this weekend.

Russell is black, so why am I talking about him? well he's the former U of minnesota back who got kicked of the team in 2005 for academic reason, went to last year combine, was overweight of at least 20 pounds, had only about 9 reps of benchpress and ran a 4.84. an yet, the guy gets the most rushing attemps of his team? How come guys like hartigan and lumsden cant get 5 carries in preseason?

btw the steelers are going away from the FB position I saw. So thanks John Kuhn, but no thanks, this lazy overweight idiot will take your spot on the team. And Dan Kreider, Mr.Steeler-football, take your 20 snap per game and like it.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:

Russell is black, so why am I talking about him? well he's the former U of minnesota back who got kicked of the team in 2005 for academic reason, went to last year combine, was overweight of at least 20 pounds, had only about 9 reps of benchpress and ran a 4.84. an yet, the guy gets the most rushing attemps of his team? How come guys like hartigan and lumsden cant get 5 carries in preseason?

btw the steelers are going away from the FB position I saw. So thanks John Kuhn, but no thanks, this lazy overweight idiot will take your spot on the team. And Dan Kreider, Mr.Steeler-football, take your 20 snap per game and like it.

Man that is one of the worst examples of the caste system this year! (but it's early!)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gi-15 said:

Good post. Another RB the Steelers have in camp is Carey Davis, who is short and stumpy and has been cut from several NFL teams. But in the game against the Saints last week, Davis had a couple ofpretty goodruns. The drunk white fans immediately dubbed him "The New Bus" and were all but demanding that he make the team, along with the white media personnel. All a black football player has to do is make a play or two and he's instantly idolized. John Kuhn? Gi15 is right, he's as good as gone, and Kreider's blocking role is being greatly reduced.

From the Patriots website:

Who's Hot
FB Heath Evans
He's quietly having a great camp. Evans is solid as in pass protection, a great lead blocker, excellent receiver out of the backfield, and a decent ball carrier when given the opportunity.

Man, they just refuse to say he's a good ball carrier. No, that wouldn't be possible, of course. At least he got some aknowledgment though. That's a good sign.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Eagles-Ravens game:

Eagles rookie TE Brent Celek had game high 4 catches for 59 yards
smiley32.gif

Jeremy Bloom had 2 catches for 16 yards, 2 PRs for 14.5 avg and 5 kick returns for 21.6 ypr.

WR Zac Collie had a catch for 1 yard...

for Ravens second year TE Quinn Sypniewski had 2 catches and a TD

Ravens rookie TE Kendrick Ballantyne had 1 catch for 33 yards

Eagles LB Stewart Bradley had 7 tackles while Matt McCoy had 5. Sean Considine had 4 tackles and started the game at SS.
Dustin Fox didn't play (achilles)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Celek looked very good, like he could step in and be a good receiving TE if L.J. Smith can't get healthy. Bloom looks very fast and quick, I can see him breaking a few this season.

Kevin McCadam was cut by Jacksonville yesterday. Hardly a surprise, can anyone imagine Jax keeping two white safeties, eventhough both McCadam and Nick Sorensen have been used primarily as Special Teams Demons.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i don't know Don, Matt Schobel, Celek and Curtis on the field at the same time??? plus Bloom fielding kicks... sounds like some alien took over Andy Reid's body...
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As best I can guess from last night, the Eagles will be starting 10 blacks on defense and7 or 8on offense, so there's still plenty of roomon the field for thoseinferior but peskywhite guys.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not up on regular punt return stats, how do those numbers for Bloom stack up to the average for PR / KR?

backrow

Hall of Famer
Eagles will start Considine and Gocong/Bradley on defense, plus i expect to see a lot of Matt McCoy. their d-coordinator was pretty high on Dustin Fox (and by that i mean he had a chance on making a team and plying in dime package) but i am not sure now that he's injured...

Shogun, his punt return avg was real good, kickoff return ypk was just average though. he will get better, i'm sure.

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I'm not up on regular punt return stats, how do those numbers for Bloom stack up to the average for PR / KR?
Above average for punt returns and about average for kickoff returns. His bodytype will make him a fearsome punt returner as he can hide behind the blockers.

backrow

Hall of Famer
from Dolphins official website:

"Matt Roth, by the way, has a chance to be special this season. There is no more any hesitation in what he does. The thought of Taylor, Joey Porter, Matt Roth and Vonnie Holliday in the pass rushing package is tasty to say the least."
smiley32.gif

and since we are on Dolphins subject, Tuff Harris, CB/S is turning heads at the camp and has a shot on making a team. he had 2 tackles in his first preseason game.Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Tuff does make it on the team. I'll have to try to spend more time watching some of these games.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Mcnaab didn't play in the first exhibition game. I'll bet that leg isn't right yet.

Tom Iron...

backrow

Hall of Famer
this is quite interesting, from bengals.com message boards, discussing Miller's move to WLB from MLB:

"khamla:
People understimate Miller's ability. Dont forget he's our FASTEST linebacker. He can cover the RB's on the slot and even the TE's when matched up. The guys all over the place.

doitagain:
Thank you Khamla. Caleb can cover well, he can tackle well and he's smart out there on the field, and to heck with his size, because his heart makes up for that... "

good to see fans giving white players some props, outside of CF....

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i had the pleasure of watching Caleb Miller play in college at the University of Arkansas. he is VERY fast, can get off blocks, and has the "knack" for always being around the ball. i am very happy he got the opportunity to play in the NFL.

he had a teammate who was equally as talented, but at a different postion, who never got a fair shot.

Tony Bua was a phenomenal tailback in high school (but of course wasn't recruited to play tailback) and went on to be one of the all-time leading tacklers in the history of the Razorbacks as an outside linebacker/rover/free safety. he went undrafted despite being the ideal size and speed for a strong safety, but was picked up and stuck with the Dolphins for a year as their white special teams demon.

you might recall a couple of years ago he had the Hit of the Year. but he was quickly phased out, having never received a chance to be a "real" player.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Tony is a great player. he is currently on IR of Calgary Stampeders and was their starting LB before his injury, listed ahead of another NFL reject Matt Grootegoerd.

Dolphins - Chiefs game:

Jared Allen and Matt Roth had nice tackles in the backfield in the first half. Allen looks incredibly quick and hungry, too bad he will miss first 4 games of the season.

Dolphins Chase Page had couple of nice plays too.

Micheal Allan, Chiefs TE had several nice catches and might have helped himself in his quest to stick with Chiefs this season.Edited by: backrow

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
backrow, keep an eye out for Tuff Harris tonight. he is a cornerback for the Dolphins that wears #35.

he played for Montana in Division 1AA and was a premier cover man and punt returner. what's "weird," is despite being listed as a cornerback on the Dolphin roster, he is on the depth chart as a safety.
smiley5.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
backrow, keep an eye out for Tuff Harris tonight. he is a cornerback for the Dolphins that wears #35.

he played for Montana in Division 1AA and was a premier cover man and punt returner. what's "weird," is despite being listed as a cornerback on the Dolphin roster, he is on the depth chart as a safety.
smiley5.gif

yes, i mentioned him after last week's game, where he's had a couple of tackles. we'll see whether him and Eckel get any playing time tonight...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jared Allen's suspension is now only two games, so he can still battle Aaron Kampman for the league lead in sacks this season.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Jared Allen's suspension is now only two games, so he can still battle Aaron Kampman for the league lead in sacks this season. 

oh, that's true i forgot he got his suspension reduced!

going back to Dolphs - Chiefs game:

Tuff Harris had a couple of tackles, Chase Page had 4 tackles, including 1 for loss

Michael Allan had 3 catches for 42 yards!

Kyle Eckel didn't get a single ball, he had a key block on Cobbs TD run but you don't make a roster being third FB in pecking order... especially if you're not allowed to show your forte, carrying the damn ball!Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What a hideously boring game that was. I did see Eckel in for blocking purposes near the end of it, and Harris was in toward the end too and looked good, though unfortunately both probably won't make the roster.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Jaworski is a big improvement over Joe Theisman, but I had to laugh when during the game tonight he observed after Trent Green threw a nice pass that "accuracy has become an underappreciated part of playing quarterback."

He could have added that catching the ball has become an underappreciated part of playing receiver. Only in a league where quality has been sacrificed to racial engineering could such a pathetic situation be commonplace.