Peyton Hillis

backrow

Hall of Famer
this is an article about Peyton from bleacher report:

Peyton Hillis: Unappreciated, Unstoppable, And Untapped

by Kevin Roberts Written on March 15, 2010

Vote Now! - Author Poll
Who should start at RB for Cleveland?

Jerome Harrison James Davis Peyton Hillis 2010 Draft Pick Other vote to see results (73 votes, Peyton has 52% ahead of Harrison's 43%)

The big news in Denver over the past 24 hours has been the trade that landed Josh McDaniels his supposed "golden boy", Brady Quinn, the type of quarterback he was reaching for when he tried to trade for Matt Cassel and spurned Jay Cutler.

Did he get what he was looking for? Perhaps, and perhaps not.

However, the irony in this trade involves a player that very few people are talking about. He is the consummate team and football player, yet McDaniels, a supposed "guy's guy" had no use for him.

Peyton Hillis, a former fullback for the Arkansas Razorbacks, turned running back phenom and savior during the Broncos surging offensive effort in 2008, is now in a new land, facing horizons that are even less certain that they were when he was riding the bench in Denver.

Despite stepping up amidst countless injuries at the running back position in 2008 and rushing for over 340 yards and five scores on just 68 carries, Hillis was relegated to back-up duty without hesitation when McDaniels came on board.

The truth is, Hillis has faced countless criticism for a lack of toughness, a lack of elite blocking ability, and a lack of elite speed for the tailback position.

Tell that to the 2008 New York Jets, who entered their game with the Denver Broncos in Week 13 with the top rushing defense, and proceeded to allow this stocky white kid to run all over them, amassing 129 rushing yards on just 22 carries (5.9 yards per carry), along with a touchdown in a convincing 34-17 win.

Hillis would see his season end the next week against Kansas City, as he tore his hamstring after rushing for 58 yards and a touchdown (7.3 yards per carry) on just eight attempts in the first half.

It's no coincidence that the Broncos struggled to keep their offense balanced the rest of the way, as they dropped their final three games in 2008, finishing at 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

Before Hillis could be slapped around for ridiculous flaws and having his lone chance at the running back position ripped away from him, he put up four straight games with at least one touchdown, while averaging at least 4.3 yards per carry in each game during that span.

His thanks over the 2009 off-season? Josh McDaniels stepped in, signed J.J. Arrington (who was then released, and now has been brought back again), brought in Lamont Jordan (arguably washed up), Correll Buckhalter, and then drafted Knowshon Moreno (a guy who actually ran a slower 40 time than Hillis).

On top of being severely demoted, Hillis was completely left out of the Broncos gameplan, despite also possessing excellent receiving skills, fully exhibited by an impressive seven-catch, 116-yard and one score performance against the Miami Dolphins in Week nine of 2008.

It was clear that, for whatever reason, Hillis was not going to be given a chance at tailback, tight end, and wasn't even strongly considered to be the lead fullback, a job which was given to Spencer Larsen.

In regards to Hillis not being able to handle lead-blocking duties, just ask his coaches and first-round selected teammates, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

Blocking has never and will never be an issue for Hillis. It's as simple as that.

As for his toughness, Hillis has received criticism for going down with a torn hamstring, but in turn, receives recognition for his repeated attempts to persuade former head coach Mike Shanahan to allow him to play through the injury.

Fast forward to the 2009 season, where Hillis was granted just four rushing attempts through the first three weeks, while also receiving high criticism for one lost fumble, while fellow teammate Knowshon Moreno ended up putting the ball on the ground four times over the course of the season.

Hillis then went on an eight game drought with zero carries, and just three offensive touches, until he finally got some grind (due to injury), and produced 47 yards on seven carries (6.7 yards per carry).

Despite remaining quiet about his lack of use and actually performing well in the only game where he ran the ball more than twice, Hillis was once again demoted into obscurity, and touched the ball just two more times in Denver's remaining four games.

After all that Hillis has been through, the hamstring injury, the false accusations and ridiculous knocks, and the severe lack of offensive inclusion, he got to see his name grace ESPN in a trade for Brady Quinn.

For a guy that is nothing but a hard-worker and a solid, versatile talent, this rain storm of negativity and mis-use has come to an apex that suggests that he's either coming to a better place, or he is quite possibly entering the ultimate fading of his short career.

Let's hope, for all things that are still good about the NFL, that it is not the latter.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Fightingtowin said:
Just read a Browns message board. They said Mangini had a pres conference today and said he likes Hillis as a tailback and brought up that he saw him run for 126 yards against his jets. He said he plans to use him at TB with Vickers as the lead blocker and also use him at FB with Harrison. He brought up what an excellent receiving threat Hillis is out of the backfield.

So that seems promising, although I'm not getting my hopes too high until I see it.
That is Alstott circa 96'. Alstott was the lead blocker for Dunn, but had a lead blocker in an elephant backfield type of situation.

foobar75

Master
Very good point about Mangini remembering Hillis' performance against his Jets in 2008, and I'm glad at least he mentioned it.

In any event, this is a fresh start by all means, and I don't see how Mangini will try to destroy Hillis the same way McDaniels tried. Something rotten happened in Denver that no one of us will ever know. And if Hillis actually succeeds in Cleveland, 2009 will be a distant memory.

white is right said:
Fightingtowin said:
Just read a Browns message board. They said Mangini had a pres conference today and said he likes Hillis as a tailback and brought up that he saw him run for 126 yards against his jets. He said he plans to use him at TB with Vickers as the lead blocker and also use him at FB with Harrison. He brought up what an excellent receiving threat Hillis is out of the backfield.

So that seems promising, although I'm not getting my hopes too high until I see it.
That is Alstott circa 96'. Alstott was the lead blocker for Dunn, but had a lead blocker in an elephant backfield type of situation.
It's frustrating that I'm just hoping for an Alstott role, when he should be a #1 back on someone's team.

I see his game against the Jets as like the Dolphins game against the Patriots when Belechick realized nobody on his team could cover Welker, thus traded for him. Hope I'm right.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Tell that to the 2008 New York Jets, who entered their game with the Denver Broncos in Week 13 with the top rushing defense, and proceeded to allow this stocky white kid to run all over them, amassing 129 rushing yards on just 22 carries (5.9 yards per carry), along with a touchdown in a convincing 34-17 win."

Backrow, that was a nice article, which mirrored many of our observations.

Referring to Hillis as a "stocky white kid"Â￾ (suggesting that an NFL defense getting pounded by a white RB is the utmost disgrace) is one tiny little notch above the compulsory slur, "white boy"Â￾. Nevertheless, at least this DWF from bleacher report has observed that Hillis is more than capable of becoming a workhorse NFL running back for the Browns.

Manginni has made many pro-white moves (relatively speaking) since taking over in Cleveland. I saw a press conference when his Browns were 0-5 early last season"¦he insulted his nearly all-afro squad more thoroughly than I've ever seen a white coach in my life. Perhaps he was experiencing his personal "caste awakening"Â￾ that day? We'll see.Edited by: Thrashen

guest301

Hall of Famer
TwentyTwo said:
<div>Stoked he left Denver...after signing Fujita & Delhomme...I'm liking the Browns more this week! BTW do the Browns play the Broncos this year?? That would be interesting to see as Hillis scores a TD...then glares back at Eminem on the sideline!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Hardly heard of this Lombardi...is that his pic with the double-chin??...he's an idiot...Peyton could beat him on his worst day...if Hillis were black the dwf's would be calling him the next powerback/ bigger Jamal Lewis...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I'm cautiously optimistic...he should be a nice compliment with Harrison...Thunder & Lightning...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Is this the start of a "caucasian invasion" at the offensive skill positions...even if it's baby steps...</div>
<div> </div>

Since I live about a hour away from Cleveland, I am stoked as well to see all the white signings lately in Hillis, Delhomme, Pashos and Fujita. I guess my Browns Brady Quinn jersey was not a wise investment on my part, hope he does well with Denver. Lots of talent and a very likeable young man, but it's 50/50 right now if he ever becomes more than a career backup.
Edited by: guest301

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
All things considered, I'd settle for Peyton Hillis assuming a Mike Alstott-type role in the backfield after seeing him get virtually no playing time in '09.

JReb1

Mentor
If Hillis is in an Alstott type of role and having similar success while Gerhart is tearing it up for some team it will hopefully open the doors for other White RB's in the future. We shouldn't have to hope though since 90% of fans and people in power are White, we just need to force them to stop discriminating against White athletes the way they finally did with black QB's and coaches.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Fightingtowin said:

Here's a little more in that vein, with caste clown Lombardi's observations added in:

Fullback Peyton Hillis Getting Mixed Reviews

Fullback Peyton Hillis doesn't have the star power of Brady Quinn â€" and one NFL insider thinks he might not make the roster in September â€" but coach Eric Mangini likes what Hillis brings to the Browns offense.

"He catches the ball well out of the backfield. He's 245 pounds. He is a really physical runner,"Â￾ Mangini said Monday. "That's going to add an element to the offense that's a little bit different."Â￾

The Browns received Hillis, a sixth-round draft pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012 from the Denver Broncos on Sunday in exchange for Quinn. Hillis is entering his third season and has played tailback and fullback. In eight starts and 26 games, he has 397 rushing yards, a 4.9 average, 18 catches and seven total touchdowns.

He rushed for 129 yards against Mangini's Jets in 2008.

"He's tough with the football in his hands,"Â￾ Mangini said.

Tailback Jerome Harrison and fullback Lawrence Vickers are restricted free agents and were given second-round tenders. If both return, Hillis would add the versatility Mangini likes across the roster.

"You could use him as the tailback and Vickers as the fullback and you get a lot bigger,"Â￾ Mangini said. "You could use him as a fullback with Jerome, and both of those guys are really effective catching the ball and even running with the ball. You can mix him in a lot of different places. He's played on special teams."Â￾

Mike Lombardi, a former executive with the Browns and Raiders, isn't as high on Hillis.

"I know some fans might think Hillis is a valuable commodity, but his lack of blocking and production without the ball makes him very iffy to even make the Browns roster next season,"Â￾ he wrote on nationalfootballpost.com. "Hillis might look good occasionally with the ball in his hands, but his lack of overall toughness without it has to be in question."Â￾
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2010/03/17/fullback-peyton-hillis-getting-mixed-reviews/

JReb1

Mentor
This Lombardi clown just can't stand the fact that a White RB is a good
NFL RB. The ONLY way he can prove himself and the rest of the Caste
supporters right is by not allowing Hillis to touch the ball because
deep down he knows that Hillis (as other White athletes) WILL succeed if
they're ever given a chance and that's a chance the Caste supporters
don't want to take. This logic is beyond ridiculous, the NFL's leading
rusher every year would also lack production without the football. How exactly does a skill position football player excel without the football in his hands? It's illogical...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the notion that Hillis can't block is ludicrous. ask Darren McFadden and Felix Jones if Hillis can block ... they both ran for over 1,000 yards (3 times for McFadden and 2 times for Jones) behind Hillis' dominance as a blocker. it was the first time in Arkansas history that Arkansas had two runners exceed 1,000 yards in a season, and it happened twice. and, coincidentally i'm sure, it happened with Hillis leading the way.

even though former Hog coach Houston Nutt mis-used Hillis as a fullback, the blocking prowess the taiback-playing-fullback showed gives lie to all this bullcrap being said about him now.

How much production did Jim Brown and Gale Sayers have without the ball? I don't recall ever hearing the term, "production without the ball," before in discussing a running back. I'm pretty sure I didn't in the 1960s and 70s.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
We seem to be bristling at nothing here, this Lombardi chap has no influence and only a few DWF's give a flying rip what he says. Mangini, who matters here, seems to love Hillis and the possibilities with him in the backfield either as a TB with Weaver or FB with Harrison. I'm looking forward to seeing Browns camp this year!!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Mike "Dumbardi" is a typical caste clown. JC validated (above) Hillis' blocking ability & btw...he's a RB not a dang FB!
smiley7.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, seems like exactly a career high year of Alstott role, think 1999. I would love for Peyton to get 10 plus TDs and 1k yards... you know that with so many DWFs it's all about FF, so if he starts putting up respectable numbers, more and more of them will suddenly recognize him and warm to him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Sounds like a fair assessment to me Celtic. He could have made an even stronger case for Hillis by explaining that

"Hillis actually averaged 5.4 YPC in games he "STARTED AT TAILBACK" in 2008. He had a 129 YPC, 5.9 YPC, 1 TD performance against the Jets- who were the number one ranked rush defense coming into the game against the Broncos. Hillis improved every game as he learned the Bronco system at tailback!"

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A Caste clown writer for the Denver Post proudly displays his ignorance:

Hillis' popularity doesn't match his achievement

Hillis is a nice guy, but not worthy of carrying the rock.

<DIV id=Tixyy style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

"I consider myself at the top of the list of Peyton Hillis fans and therefore speak for many in letting you know how much we resent your comment: 'It was probably healthier for all concerned if Hillis was allowed to seek an NFL coach as gaga about his potential as Colorado fanatics who worshipped every inch of the 397 yards gained on the ground by Hillis during his brief Denver career.' You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Kiszla. However, something tells me you are not. Even when Correll Buckhalter and "His Majesty" Knowshon Moreno were struggling, injured or too tired, your egotistical coach "Joshie" McDaniels refused to give Hillis a chance. I, for one, hope and pray Hillis kicks your tails in Denver for the next 10 years."

Mike, Damascus, Ark.

Kiz: Hillis is one righteous dude. Can't think of anybody I would rather have as my wing man when hunting wild boar. But carrying the rock in an NFL game? Not so much. Seldom, if ever, in the history of the Broncos has a player's popularity so outstripped his actual achievements. Even Mike Haffner (remember the 1960s?) scored more touchdowns for Denver than Hillis ever did, for crying out loud.

Full article: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14720513#ixzz0ivq1zR46

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Don, sounds like a hardcore DWF. This jabroni "Kiz" fails to realize Hillis' limited TDs were directly due to his limited reps/carries (as done by Eminem).

whiteCB

Master
Folks I think here is an example of the saying, "If you can't beat'em join'em." I can just picture Mangini in the Jets film room after the Broncos put a whopping on them in late 08' seeing that it was just really one man responsible for the loss the Jets incurred. Mangini realized that Hillis is one heck of a NFL tailback and gets the job done. When Holmgren decided he wanted to get rid of Quinn and that Denver was interested Manigini jumped right in and says, "Let's get Peyton Hillis in that trade Holmgren check out the tape of this guy!". Although my scenario might be to "dreamy" to be for real, lol, I think the whole Hillis acquisition went somewhat that way. I really do see the Browns using Hillis as a HB in tandem with Jerome Harrison. Let's all hope for the best!

icsept

Master
Reminds me of when Belichik stole Wes Welker from the Dolphins. Its good to know that some coaches can see through the lack of pigmentation and steal an underutilized talent from fools like Josh McDaniels and Nick Saban.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Mangini is on record as saying as much. He thinks that a backfield of Hillis and Harrison will give defenses fits, and he says that he can use Weaver at FB with Hillis at TB for another tough-to-deal-with package. It's a good possibility that both Hillis' and our prayers have been answered on this one.

StarWars

Mentor
FootballDad said:
Mangini is on record as saying as much.  He thinks that a backfield of Hillis and Harrison will give defenses fits, and he says that he can use Weaver at FB with Hillis at TB for another tough-to-deal-with package.  It's a good possibility that both Hillis' and our prayers have been answered on this one.

With Hillis and Gerhart hopefully performing well, and McGuffie back in the limelight at Rice, it looks like the DWF's perception and schema of white runningbacks should shift from the ignorant extreme most DWFs are currently at right now.

green fire317

Banned
He will also talke some of the scrutiny off of Delhomme if he is give some carries. I still cant believe he got out of Carolina alive. I thought the dwfs were going to kill him.