Peyton Hillis

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Quiet Speed said:
Sorry if this particular video has been posted. Don't know if it is appropriate viewing for the children. It's spooky. 
smiley1.gif
http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K9cSqlca4w

I can't believe Hillis was stuck on the pine beyond "YOshown YOreno"!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hillis has been demoted back to his racially mandated slot of fullback: The Cleveland Browns have been utilizing FB Peyton Hillis as a receiver out of the backfield during training camp practices, according to CBSSports.com.

On CBS's and Yahoo's depth charts, Hillis is listed not just as a fullback, but as the backup fullback, behind the peerless Lawrence Vickers. On the positive side, rookie RB Montario Hardesty was injured today, don't know if it was serious or not. Let's hope Peyton can replicate the "Mile Hile Miracle of 2008," when six black running backs were injured one after the other, enabling Hillis to flash hisAll Prorunning ability before Josh McDaniels quickly put him back in his place.Edited by: Don Wassall

snow

Mentor
The sad part is, by Josh McDaniels giving him no chance to run the ball in 09, most fans have forgotten what Hillis is capable of. The average fan has a very short memory, if they are not constantly bombarded by highlights on sports networks then they won't remember how great of a player someone is. They never bothered to show any of highlights of Hillis when he did well at halfback. I remember them showing his highlights catching against the Dolphins as a fullback but that is about it. A good deal of Denver fans knew how good he was but I don't think Cleveland fans know. Hopefully McDaniels can make up for what he did somewhat this year by using Tebow in a wildcat role and playing Decker on the outside. He would have to also play Dicky Lyons Jr and Kyle McCarthy to regain any respect from me.

Here is the fanstasy write up on Hillis

"He played fullback in Denver last year, and comes to Cleveland as a
'tweener. Lawrence Vickers is a more traditional fullback, and Jerome
Harrison, Montario Hardesty, James Davis and Chris Jennings are more
traditional halfbacks. Hillis shouldn't have a fantasy-relevant role."

A guy that was able to avg 5 ypc and score 5 tds in 4 games has now has no fantasy value. He is better than all of those guys listed. I remember Hardesty playing last year, and Hillis is definitely more talented than him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
snow said:
The sad part is, by Josh McDaniels giving him no chance to run the ball in 09, most fans have forgotten what Hillis is capable of. The average fan has a very short memory, if they are not constantly bombarded by highlights on sports networks then they won't remember how great of a player someone is. They never bothered to show any of highlights of Hillis when he did well at halfback. I remember them showing his highlights catching against the Dolphins as a fullback but that is about it. A good deal of Denver fans knew how good he was but I don't think Cleveland fans know. Hopefully McDaniels can make up for what he did somewhat this year by using Tebow in a wildcat role and playing Decker on the outside. He would have to also play Dicky Lyons Jr and Kyle McCarthy to regain any respect from me.

Here is the fanstasy write up on Hillis

"He played fullback in Denver last year, and comes to Cleveland as a 'tweener. Lawrence Vickers is a more traditional fullback, and Jerome Harrison, Montario Hardesty, James Davis and Chris Jennings are more traditional halfbacks. Hillis shouldn't have a fantasy-relevant role."

A guy that was able to avg 5 ypc and score 5 tds in 4 games has now has no fantasy value. He is better than all of those guys listed. I remember Hardesty playing last year, and Hillis is definitely more talented than him.

tweener: 1. a potentially great white running back who nonetheless is consigned to blocking fullback duties with an occasional reception and run; 2. a white running back who can only play tailback after all black tailbacks on the team are injured, and then only until a replacement can be found; 3. generic NFL term for a white running back who somehow was allowed to run the ball in college and did so with great skilland accomplishment.Edited by: Don Wassall

snow

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
tweener: 1. a potentially great white running back who nonetheless is consigned to blocking fullback duties with an occasional reception and run; 2. a white running back who can only play tailback after all black tailbacks on the team are injured, and then only until a replacement can be found; 3. generic NFL term for a white running back who somehow was allowed to run the ball in college and did so with great skilland accomplishment.

Don't forget white defensive tackles are also called tweeners. The ones who have enough strength and power to overpower offensive linemen but since they aren't morbidly obese they are considered too small for the position. Somehow an extra 40 pounds of fat helps you become better at stuffing the run?

The sad part about "fullbacks" like Hillis and Hester is that, they aren't even used as "versatile fullbacks" Fans always see white runners like those two in college and say "man he would make a great versatile fullback, one that can catch out of the backfield and make defenses worry about another threat, and he can have ocassional carries on top of blocking" In their minds, white runningbacks are supposed to be the "fullback of the future", one thathas abig role in the offense.Yet the role of white fullbacks besides blocking has reduced over the years. Moose for the Cowboys was getting anywhere from 50 to 80 touches a year, and Tom Rathman had 100+ carries and 40+ catchestwo differentyears. I know he had over 100 touches 3 years straight and around 90 each year for2 yearsafter that. Now when a white fullback gets 2 or 3 touchesin agame, that is considered ahuge amount. Last year for the Saints, Heath Evans was on pace fo around 26 catches and 13 rushes before his injury halfway throught the season, and that was considered a big role. Only black fullbacks get a bunch of touches. Also, the occasional carry they do get, it doesn't seem like teams know how to run the play right or block for it. It is usally a quick handoff running straight up the middle into a brick wall. Back in the day they would do different things from the fullback spot, like have the line shift its blocking, like every lineman shift to the rightand have the fullback run that way, giving him him more time before he reached the line of scrimmage so there would be a hole to run through, or he would take a fakestep or twolike he was going one way and then head the other way, also giving him more time before he hit the line of scrimmage so there would be a hole. I don't see teams do this anymore.Edited by: snow

TwentyTwo

Master
That "versatile fullback" a.k.a (mainly recievers) role seemed to really take off with Tom Rathman; Brad Muster & Daryl Johnston...Merril Hoge too...was a fullback most of his career; when he finally got the chance at "Tailback" in the playoffs he stepped up with a two big-time 100+ yard rushing games..he just needed the opportunity.

Hillis, Hester & Leonard(Heath Evans earlier in his career)must all battle that tweener-modetoo...true that Peyton Hillis shining moments were so brief many dwf's have forgotten. But he did recieve some hype..I can easily remember those preformances on ESPN' Prime-Time recap show! I'll say it again...have a feeling the Browns will have to depend/use Hillis this year;even if it's by default; the O-Line is strong...he can burst on the scene once again and never look back this time!

They were doing their best to pigeon-hole Toby Gerhart in that type of Fullback role..but I think his will is too strong to allow that to happen hopefully!

It's still off in the future... but I'll be anxious to see the smaller tailbacks now in collegelike McGuffie; Burkhead &Wegher that all weigh less than 210..(not all 230+) that will be the true test..they won't be able to pigeon-hole them like they have been doing..hopefully they all stay healthy and get that legit shot; if not there should be a revolt!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
For what it's worth I guess. Hopefully, if either gets injured, Hillis will be able to step in.

From Rotoworld:
With Montario Hardesty (knee) sidelined, Peyton Hillis is running with the second team.

Hillis appears to be ahead of James Davis and Chris Jennings for now. The bruising power back is getting a chance to flash his versatility by putting those surprisingly soft hands on display. Still, if both Hardesty and Jerome Harrison are healthy, there will only be table scraps left.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a Browns fan blogger who's touting Hillis, even if it is as an "H-back":

Hillis is My Pick for Offensive Sleeper

Today's reports out of Berea have clinched it for me. Peyton Hillis is on my radar as the "under-the-radar"Â￾ player for the Browns this year on offense. During practice, Peyton Hillis did damage to the Browns' defensive unit on a 30-yard play and a 40-yard play. I didn't see them, but they were reportedly short passes that Hillis converted into giant amounts of YAC (yards after the catch.) When I brought his name up this morning, the fine folks at Denver's Mile High Report concurred with my hopes by saying, "I always thought Denver could have used him as an H-Back, in the Chris Cooley mold"¦"Â￾ Obviously aiming for Chris Cooley type production might be aiming a bit high, but if Hillis can even be "in the mold"Â￾ of Chris Cooley, he will be a welcome addition to the Cleveland Browns.

Hillis doesn't have much to show for the 2009-10 season as he got lost on the bench when Mike Shanahan lost his job in Denver and Josh McDaniels took over. For the season, Hillis only had 54 yards rushing and 19 yards receiving. That level of production is a clear indicator of why the Broncos were willing to include Hillis in the deal for Brady Quinn.

The key to Hillis and the Browns is what he did in 2008-09 when injuries got his name called in his rookie year. In week nine, Hillis exploded for 7 catches and 116 yards against the Dolphins. His most impressive running game was against Eric Mangini's Jets when he ran 22 times for 129 yards. Also, in a game against Atlanta, Hillis only ran the ball for 44 yards, but managed to punch in two touchdowns.

If the Browns can find ways to use Hillis that are more similar to the way Shanahan used him in the second half of his rookie year, he could be the H back the Browns need. He could look like a tight end, full back and running back all in the same game if he wanted. He is a sure-handed, powerful, and deceptively quick player. The Browns can always use more players like that.

He also fits the mold as to what Browns fans love the most. He is an underdog because he was drafted 20th in the 7th round of the draft in 2008. He is versatile. It is no secret that one of the reasons Browns fans love Josh Cribbs is his versatility. Hillis loves to hit defensive backs trying to tackle him. That is why Browns fans love Lawrence Vickers. Combine this with the fact that he was traded as a part of the Brady Quinn deal, and his story has all the makings of a Browns fan fairytale.

Check out this highlight reel from his career in Denver and imagine him doing this against the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals.
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=31890

<DIV =post-title>
<DIV =shield>
<DIV ="date-m month8">

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article that boosts Hillis, but makes the completely false assertion that he's "mostly struggled since being drafted out of Arkansas in 2008." He hasn't struggled, he's been superb both receiving and running in the limited opportunities he's been given. The only "struggling" involved has been with coaches -- including at Arkansas -- who were/are afraid to utilize him as the starting power tailback he should be. Darren McFadden, who he's compared to in this article, has struggled. But McFadden was drafted in the first round as a halfback, Hillis was drafted in the sixth round as a fullback who wasn't going to get more than a few carries per season. At least try and get basic facts straight.
smiley42.gif

Former Razorbacks McFadden, Hillis Drawing Attention In NFL Training Camps

<DIV =author>by Chris Bahn
<DIV =Text>

8/4/2010 at 8:19am

Could this be the year Darren McFadden and Peyton Hillis have breakout seasons in the NFL?

Both have shown flashes, but mostly struggled since being drafted out of Arkansas in 2008. Hillis and McFadden were part of a backfield that also included Dallas Cowboys' tailback Felix Jones.

So far Jones has arguably been the most successful, but it's the preseason and optimism abounds! This time of year was made for players/teams that under-perform.

McFadden is working in Oakland Raiders' training camp to shed the label he might be a "bust"Â￾. A healthy body has given McFadden a healthy outlook on camp and the season, he tells the San Francisco Chronicle.
Running back Darren McFadden wants to make contact after hearing the whispers that he can't break a tackle, that he fumbles too much, that the No. 4 overall pick in 2008 might be a bust.
McFadden has 856 yards on 217 carries in his first two years. Tennessee's Chris Johnson, picked 20 spots after McFadden, ran for more than that in the final seven games of last season. But McFadden did miss time with turf toe his rookie year and knee surgery last season.

Hillis is drawing rave reviews from some folks for his recent performances in Cleveland Browns camp. Cleveland-area fan blog "Waiting for Next Year"Â￾ has named Hillis as its pick for "Offensive Sleeper"Â￾.
During practice, Peyton Hillis did damage to the Browns' defensive unit on a 30-yard play and a 40-yard play. I didn't see them, but they were reportedly short passes that Hillis converted into giant amounts of YAC (yards after the catch.)

Hillis was a threat out of the backfield to catch the ball at Arkansas. He had 537 yards and five touchdowns receiving in 2007 and ran for 347. McFadden ran for 1,825 yards as a junior, his final season at Arkansas.

Don't go drafting either guy in the first round of your fantasy football draft, but the early reports do sound promising.
http://www.arkansassports360.com/19244/former-razorbacks-mcfadden-hillis-drawing-attention-in-nfl-training-camps

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice article, except at the end when Hillis says it doesn't matter to him whether he plays fullback or tailback.

Browns' Hillis explodes back onto the scene

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 10:28 p.m. EDT, Aug 09, 2010

BEREA: Peyton Hillis grabbed the ball, bolted to his left and played the role of a human steamroller.

Cornerback Chris Chancellor played the part of a flattened victim.

After sitting out a week with a strained groin, Hillis returned to practice Monday during the Browns' training camp.

Was he rusty? No.

Was he excited? Just ask Chancellor.

''When you're out for a week, you try to get back into practice mode, and sometimes it don't work out like you want it to,'' Hillis said. ''You want to take it easy on the guys. Today, I should be punished for [running over Chancellor].

''It feels good to be out there with the guys and the coaches again. It gets pretty boring and kind of heartbreaking to sit inside and watch your teammates practice.''

Hillis shined during his comeback. Aside from his bruising run that drew ''ooohs and aaahs'' from the crowd, Hillis caught a few deep passes along the sideline.

Sometimes, he lined up at fullback. Other times, he played tailback. Every time, he looked sharp.

''I don't think the injury I had this past week will hold me out at all,'' said Hillis, 6-foot-1, 240 pounds. ''It looked pretty good today, and [I plan to] slowly progress all week to where I'll be back full speed Saturday.''

Hillis won't need to feel guilty about leveling defenders Saturday, when the Browns visit the Green Bay Packers for their first preseason game of the year.

On March 14, the Browns traded quarterback Brady Quinn to the Denver Broncos in exchange for Hillis, a 2011 sixth-round draft pick and a conditional selection in 2012. Last season, Hillis played in 14 games with two starts and finished with 20 carries for 77 yards and a touchdown. During his rookie season in 2008, Hillis played in 12 games with six starts, compiling 68 carries for 343 yards and five touchdowns.

As he demonstrated Monday, Hillis can catch, too. Although he had only five receptions for 57 yards last season, he had 14 catches for 179 yards and a touchdown the year before.

''In college, I ran a lot of slot [receiver] and tight end,'' said Hillis, a former University of Arkansas standout. ''I ran the routes downfield, and coach [Mike] Shanahan my rookie year, he put me out there running some flag and post routes, so I've been kind of used to it. But with every new coaching staff comes a new scheme, and you've got to find your place wherever that may be. Sometimes it's throwing the ball downfield, sometimes in the flat, but you just try to give it the best you've got.

''[Browns] offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is an intelligent man. He knows how to work the playbook, and he's a terrific offensive coordinator. He knows how to put the guys in the right spots to make plays. As long as we keep working as a team and continue to do that, a lot of people will get the ball.''

Hillis will probably be one of those people. With rookie Montario Hardesty sidelined because of a twisted right knee, Hillis, Jerome Harrison, James Davis and Chris Jennings will likely split carries against the Packers.

Green Bay might even encounter Hillis while he's running behind a stellar lead blocker. In some packages, Hillis and fullback Lawrence Vickers, 6-foot, 250 pounds, have lined up together in the backfield.

''I think you can get the tough yards that way,'' Hillis said. ''Lawrence Vickers is a stand-up guy. He loves to put his head in there and get blocks. When a guy is willing to sacrifice his body like that, you want to play hard for him. With guys like that on the team, you can only win ballgames.''

Vickers also thinks he and Hillis can combine to create chaos for defenses.

''Peyton is another big-body guy,'' Vickers said. ''He's a versatile guy and a good, solid player.

''He runs very hard with the ball, and I block very hard. Then at the same time, you don't know if Peyton is gonna get the ball or if I'm gonna get the ball. It can be a bit confusing. It's something that can throw the defense off.''

Does Hillis have a preference between fullback and tailback?

''Not really,'' he said. ''Whatever gets me on the field. I love this game, and I love being out there no matter what position it is. Hopefully, no matter where I play will help this team win.''

Of course, he doesn't mind carrying the ball, either. Chancellor knows it.

''If you're a competitor, you want the ball,'' Hillis said. ''You want the ball in your hands when you need to put a touchdown in. Every winner wants the ball.''

<HR color=#cccccc SIZE=1>
Nate Ulrich can be reached at nulrich@thebeaconjournal.com. Read the Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter
at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns and
on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/browns.abj.
<DIV =storytext>
BEREA: Peyton Hillis grabbed the ball, bolted to his left and played the role of a human steamroller.
Cornerback Chris Chancellor played the part of a flattened victim.
After sitting out a week with a strained groin, Hillis returned to practice Monday during the Browns' training camp.
Was he rusty? No.
Was he excited? Just ask Chancellor.
''When you're out for a week, you try to get back into practice mode, and sometimes it don't work out like you want it to,'' Hillis said. ''You want to take it easy on the guys. Today, I should be punished for [running over Chancellor].
''It feels good to be out there with the guys and the coaches again. It gets pretty boring and kind of heartbreaking to sit inside and watch your teammates practice.''
Hillis shined during his comeback. Aside from his bruising run that drew ''ooohs and aaahs'' from the crowd, Hillis caught a few deep passes along the sideline.
Sometimes, he lined up at fullback. Other times, he played tailback. Every time, he looked sharp.
''I don't think the injury I had this past week will hold me out at all,'' said Hillis, 6-foot-1, 240 pounds. ''It looked pretty good today, and [I plan to] slowly progress all week to where I'll be back full speed Saturday.''
Hillis won't need to feel guilty about leveling defenders Saturday, when the Browns visit the Green Bay Packers for their first preseason game of the year.
On March 14, the Browns traded quarterback Brady Quinn to the Denver Broncos in exchange for Hillis, a 2011 sixth-round draft pick and a conditional selection in 2012. Last season, Hillis played in 14 games with two starts and finished with 20 carries for 77 yards and a touchdown. During his rookie season in 2008, Hillis played in 12 games with six starts, compiling 68 carries for 343 yards and five touchdowns.
As he demonstrated Monday, Hillis can catch, too. Although he had only five receptions for 57 yards last season, he had 14 catches for 179 yards and a touchdown the year before.
''In college, I ran a lot of slot [receiver] and tight end,'' said Hillis, a former University of Arkansas standout. ''I ran the routes downfield, and coach [Mike] Shanahan my rookie year, he put me out there running some flag and post routes, so I've been kind of used to it. But with every new coaching staff comes a new scheme, and you've got to find your place wherever that may be. Sometimes it's throwing the ball downfield, sometimes in the flat, but you just try to give it the best you've got.
''[Browns] offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is an intelligent man. He knows how to work the playbook, and he's a terrific offensive coordinator. He knows how to put the guys in the right spots to make plays. As long as we keep working as a team and continue to do that, a lot of people will get the ball.''
Hillis will probably be one of those people. With rookie Montario Hardesty sidelined because of a twisted right knee, Hillis, Jerome Harrison, James Davis and Chris Jennings will likely split carries against the Packers.
Green Bay might even encounter Hillis while he's running behind a stellar lead blocker. In some packages, Hillis and fullback Lawrence Vickers, 6-foot, 250 pounds, have lined up together in the backfield.
''I think you can get the tough yards that way,'' Hillis said. ''Lawrence Vickers is a stand-up guy. He loves to put his head in there and get blocks. When a guy is willing to sacrifice his body like that, you want to play hard for him. With guys like that on the team, you can only win ballgames.''
Vickers also thinks he and Hillis can combine to create chaos for defenses.
''Peyton is another big-body guy,'' Vickers said. ''He's a versatile guy and a good, solid player.
''He runs very hard with the ball, and I block very hard. Then at the same time, you don't know if Peyton is gonna get the ball or if I'm gonna get the ball. It can be a bit confusing. It's something that can throw the defense off.''
Does Hillis have a preference between fullback and tailback?
''Not really,'' he said. ''Whatever gets me on the field. I love this game, and I love being out there no matter what position it is. Hopefully, no matter where I play will help this team win.''
Of course, he doesn't mind carrying the ball, either. Chancellor knows it.
''If you're a competitor, you want the ball,'' Hillis said. ''You want the ball in your hands when you need to put a touchdown in. Every winner wants the ball.''
http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/100315479.html

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He'll most likely get screwed over again unless injuries strike the Browns' "real" RBs, but at least Browns fans are getting to see how good Hillis is:

Browns running back Peyton Hillis' hard running revs up crowd

Browns running back Peyton Hillis gave fans a sneak preview of why he became a cult hero in Denver in 2008.

On a second-quarter touchdown drive, Hillis introduced himself in grand fashion to Browns fans, taking a handoff from Jake Delhomme, starting right and then bouncing off defenders and breaking six tackles for a 9-yard gain to the Rams 27.

"Peyton is known for running over guys, he's a tough back to bring down and we have great blocking up front," said Josh Cribbs.

After the bulldozing run, Hillis flexed his muscles and stomped his feet.

"It was just an in-the-moment kind of deal," Hillis said.

The crowd roared.

"He's the epitome of tough, rugged football," Delhomme said.

Also in the series, Hillis ran 1 yard for a first down, knocked two Rams defenders after a 3-yard catch, made a 9-yard catch and ran 4 yards to set up Benjamin Watson's spectacular one-handed touchdown grab.

Overall, Hillis handled the ball five times on the 11-play drive, rushing three times for 14 yards and catching two passes for 12. He came out strong again on the first drive of the second half, rushing six times for 33 yards -- including three 8-yard runs to pave the way for Cribbs' 15-yard TD catch from Seneca Wallace.

Hillis, acquired in the trade with Denver for Brady Quinn, was a fan favorite in Denver as a rookie out of Arkansas in 2008. That season, pressed into service because of injuries, he finished with a team- high 343 yards rushing with five touchdowns in six starts before being placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

Hillis (6-4, 250) has taken some of the sting out of rookie running back Montario Hardesty missing all of camp with a knee injury. Besides his bruising style, he has excellent hands.

He had to overcome prolonged flu-like symptoms during organized team activities and minicamp, and a strained groin in training camp, but has come back strong.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/browns_running_back_peyton_hil.html

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don, I honestly think that if Hillis would get 20 carries a game, that he may be a TOP 5 RB- in this league. Hillis is the typical dominant Powerback, that gets better the more carries he gets. He is a bit reminiscent of ole Jim Brown. There is lots of evidence to show- that this may be true- with Hillis' production and improvement each game he gets to play. I think on the Broncos, he would have become even more efficient- over his career- than Terrell Davis- in that system. Instead, Hillis may be fighting for a backup FB spot in this RABIDLY racist league. Don, I think a few more sheeple are being awoken and it is making the NFL fight even harder to keep their racist house of cards from falling. Don, do you think more of the sheeple are considering the brilliant/astounding performances of Woodhead, Hillis, Gerhart (at Stanford) and other white skill players- or are their memories really that short? Or are they too lazy, to simply look up pre-season stats to consider if their team is keeping or playing the best players?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes he reminds me of the stereotypical downhill runner who gets stronger as the game goes on. Similar to a prime Riggins, Jim Brown or Zonk. I think if he didn't try and make that crazy catch he would have forced Denver to make him their feature back as he would have probably gotten close to 1000 yards in about 10 games as a starter. He also would have probably have saved Shanahan's job.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Don, do you think more of the sheeple are considering the brilliant/astounding performances of Woodhead, Hillis, Gerhart (at Stanford) and other white skill players- or are their memories really that short? Or are they too lazy, to simply look up pre-season stats to consider if their team is keeping or playing the best players?

I don't think they're putting two and two together yet. Remember that 99 percent of them have never heard of Caste Football or have ever heard our perspective put to them in a logical way. They liked Riggins, they liked Alstott, they like Hillis, but that's as far as it goes. They think Hillis is the rare exception that proves the rule that Whites can't run the ball, and they think of him basically as a fullback that can run a bit. If the media doesn't tell them something, it's very rare when they manage to think outside the box on their own.

Kaptain

Master
If you missed his last preseason performance, here is his best run. All the comments on him are very positive. It seems he is becoming an unsung legend just like he was in Denver.

Hillis drags 7 rams

whiteCB

Master
Here's a good article on Peyton although written by a man who is "racially blind".

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2010/08/peyton_hillis_provides_some_sm.html

Peyton Hillis provides some smashmouth for the Cleveland Browns offense: Bill Livingston
Published: Monday, August 23, 2010, 5:57 PMUpdated: Monday, August 23, 2010, 7:57 PM
Bill Livingston, The Plain Dealer Bill Livingston, The Plain Dealer
Follow
Share this story
Story tools
peyton-hills-rams-jk.jpgJohn Kuntz / The Plain Dealer It hasn't taken much exposure to Browns running back Peyton Hillis to realize that he can help deliver some of the power game the offense will need to succeed this season, says Bill Livingston.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While Brady Quinn will always be the great what-if to some fans, what the Browns got in his trade is as obvious as the road pizza Peyton Hillis just made out of a defensive back or two.

The new running back hit the line and whoever was behind it with malice aforethought Saturday night in the exhibition loss to St. Louis. He is one of the small, but increasing, number of Browns who can rile up the crowd and energize his teammates with one bulling, battering, bowling-ball effort. His nine-yard run, leaving would-be tacklers trampled and other helpless Rams piggy-backing along for the ride, seemed to involve every available St. Louis defender.
0Share

Josh Cribbs can be like that out of the wildcat formation.

Seneca Wallace can also make plays with his legs.

Jerome Harrison, for his part, ran down the usually forlorn final stretch of the season last year as if someone had unsealed the time capsule, and the short, violent, one-dimensional approach of Ground Marty was back again.

But we're really not back in 1985 when Marty Schottenheimer turned Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner loose to play smash-mouth football. Harrison does not have the body type of either of those slam-bang former Browns. Hillis is something of a 'tweener -- not really a fullback, possessed of good enough hands to be a third-down back, a reliable producer of second-effort yards.

A quarter century ago, the offense became much more diversified as soon as Bernie Kosar was ready to play quarterback. Current team president Mike Holmgren knew the same thing had to be done as soon as he took over. A playbook that looked like a drawing on a cave wall was not the shortcut to success in today's NFL.

Coach Eric Mangini went to the Harrison/Cribbs game plan because his training camp-long quarterback derby last year did not undermine the confidence of either Quinn or Derek Anderson close to as much as it sapped their coach's confidence in both of them. The substantial, but not transformative, upgrade to Jake Delhomme and Wallace now does not mean the Browns should completely change the identity of a tough, physical offense they developed last season.

This is where Harrison, Hillis and the healing rookie, Montario Hardesty, come in. At ramming speed, in Hillis' case.

For all the talk about getting playmakers in "space," for all the astro-formations designed to do just that, there will always be a place in big-time tackle football for power. Physicality is hard-wired into the game, part of its DNA. It was what made losing so frequently to the Pittsburgh Steelers so galling. It wasn't just the closeness and great success of the turnpike rival. It was the way the Steelers could often outmuscle the Browns.

That changed on one brutally cold night by the lake, when the Steelers were the hittees, not the hitters. Now it must continue.

Hardesty was expected to challenge Harrison for a starting job, but his knee injury gave Hillis his chance. If his playing time dwindles when Hardesty returns, Hillis has been there before, too. Despite several strong games under former Denver coach Mike Shanahan in 2008, Hillis rode the bench as new coach Josh McDaniels' prize draftee, rookie Knowshon Moreno, got the carries last year.

Fans always wondered what Quinn could do if spared injuries and given ample opportunities. Hillis, however, already deserves a meaningful role here. He came in saying he wanted to prove the Browns got the better of the trade with Denver. At that, he is making progress.

There's no telling what nickname all those H's in the backfield will lead to. But Hillis and Harrison, to opponents, could be "Hell" and "Gone."

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
That was Alstott esque.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The talent of Peyton Hillis is once again mauling to the forefront in spite of all the obstacles that have been placed in his way. I like this comment from a Bleacher Report piece: "Typically referred to as the "Brady Quinn trade,"Â￾ it seems a more fitting name would be the "deal for Peyton Hillis"Â￾, because it's clear the Browns are the team benefiting the most from this trade. Hillis still appears to be a versatile threat for Cleveland as he once again played very regularly with the first-team offense. He constantly carried would-be tacklers and has a knack for getting open, finishing with seven carries for 26 yards and catching four passes for 40 yards." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/445360-cleveland-browns-preseason-plenty-of-positives-in-loss-to-detroit

BTW, Jerome Harrison fumbled twice in today's game, and Montario Hardesty remains injured and useless thus far. I have no faith whatsoever in a Mike Holmgren-managed team that Hillis will be treated anything but unfairly, but as in Denver circumstances may force his many talents to be heavily utilized, especially by Eric Mangini if he wants to keep his job. The Browns' nearly all White o-line is also a plus for Hillis.

qj

Guru
I watched Hillis against the Rams the other night. As the game wore on, it was clear that Hillis, the O-line, and his side-kick black fullback were seriously eroding the Rams Defense. If Hillis and co. had remained in the game, the Browns would have been getting 5-8 yards on each carry. I think Mangini is going to be very run happy, and will use Hillis this year often. Clearly, Hillis is a fan favorite and a punishing RB that can wear down and then destroy a defense over the course of a game. In my opinion, there is no better formula for winning than a power running game which destroys a defense. It looks like the Browns will be able to run, run, run. Of the many capable white RB's in the league, including Gerhart, I think Hillis will get good reps this year because of his game against Mangini's Jets a few years back.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes, FB Vickers is actually a good battering ram that will help Peyton not only stay at halfback but will pave some ground in the mammoth formation for him.

Tom Iron

Mentor
qp,

Agreed, by the 3rd, 4th quarters, most of the DLsmen are done in by this type of game. That's how the Jets did it last year and now Mangini means to do it. It'll work too, behind a guy like Hillis.

Tom Iron...

TwentyTwo

Master
Ironically here on CF the Peyton Hillis thread is now on the 40th page...and his number with the Browns happens to be #40! Maybe this is his year!

Harrison is not big enough to take the pounding thru the season w/o some help...I see Hillis doing so well...that even if Hardesty gets healthy...Hillis has a strong-hold on the position; making it hard for Hardesty to get on the field. It's all about winning and Hillis gives them the best chance imposing his will...I like the Browns O-Line...Joe Thomas is a stud...and Mack is one of the better young Centers in the league!

phil3333

smiley47.gif
i think baring injury hillis will become the primary ball carrier and could potentially break a 1000 yards
smiley4.gif