Craig Pickering

kre08

Guru
2 great articles Lightning. I really like Craig and his father's attitudes. They both seem like very driven goal oriented people. Encouraging.

kre08

Guru
Craig smashed the competition in the Aviva International Match with a 6.57 in the 60 Meter Dash. This is a great time and very near his personal best already. This may be a world leading time at the moment as well although I'm not sure about that. Regardless a great race for Craig and a great notch in the belt on his quest to silence the doubters.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Also Scotsman, Nick Smith 3rd in 6.63 and Christian Blum (Germany) 4th in 6.69.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig looked great and he says he should be able to get into the very low 6.50's range soon. He looked like he has leaned up a little. I am so tired of the constant comparisons of him to the druggie Dwain Chambers. Every interview they ask Craig what he thinks about the rivalry with Dwain. In this latest interview, Craig finally said let's talk about me and not Dwain. He is not here and I won today. Way to go Craig!

Johan Wissman won the 200 in the same meet with a very fast 21.05. Also Greg Rutherford opened his season with a 7.97 in the long jump. The greek jumjper Luis T. jumped another world leader today going 8.20 meters! Wow and another greek jumped just short of 8.0 meters. What a day so far!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to talk a little about Nick Smith. He looked really nervous as he doesn't race against the top competition ona regular basis. Nick fell asleep in the blocks and in the 60, that will make or break your race. He still came on like a freight train despite being last out of the blocks and set a new personal best of 6.63! What a recovery. Nick Smith may just get into the high 6.50's range in a couple of races with a better start. Congrats to tne Welsh Man on a fine performance.

Craig Pickering is a big time sprinter. I don't care what the critics or fans say. He gets so much negative talk about him and how he will never amount to much. He is undefeated in Glasgow over three years. He took the silver medal last year in the European Indoor Championships. Craig has won countless awards since his teenager days. He has also beat most of his rivals consistantly for the last three years. The only exception is Chambers who has juiced and still may be on peds as he knows how to get away with it. Regardless, Craig Pickering is the most consistant head to head sprinter they have for several years now. While he may not have the fastest personal bests yet, give him time. He is only 22 and getting better all the time.

Pickering runs in the 6.50's range with ease. If he stays healthy, there is no reason he cannot challenge a flat 10 in the near future or go sub 10! I just wish the media, critics and fans would quit riding him so hard. That same pressure helped to do in Shirvo as he has admitted to on occasions. It is so much pressure on a young kid although he seems to handle it better than most. That shows his character. With his family strongly behind him, great things will folllow soon. If I have a new years wish, it would be for him to beat Chambers for a spot on the team. It would probably take a high 6.40's to a flat 6.50 time to do it but don't bet against him. Craig Pickering is as big a competitor as you will ever see. He will bring it when the time comes. I still have that cold bottle of bubbly waiting for him to be the first of many white sprinters eventually to go sub 10! Good luck to my favorite sprinter!
smiley32.gif

devans

Mentor
You can see the race here
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSteve%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank" target="_blank"><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
</><![endif]--><style>
<!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.Msonormal, li.Msonormal, div.Msonormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-er-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
</style><!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-s ize:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso- padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001 pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
fon t-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]-->

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hd2bn/International_ Indoor_Athletics_2009/[/url]</span></font><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
</><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-s ize:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso- padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001 pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
fon t-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]--></span>

Unless you want to sit through 2.5 hours of athletics you should move the slider forward to 2:10:00 to see the womens 60M and 2:17 to see the mens 60M sprints.
</span>

Edited by: devans

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
congratulations to Craig, but sadly i can't see the video. apparently only Brit IP addresses can.

white is right

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
I forgot to talk a little about Nick Smith. He looked really nervous as he doesn't race against the top competition on a regular basis. Nick fell asleep in the blocks and in the 60, that will make or break your race. He still came on like a freight train despite being last out of the blocks and set a new personal best of 6.63! What a recovery. Nick Smith may just get into the high 6.50's range in a couple of races with a better start. Congrats to tne Welsh Man on a fine performance.

Craig Pickering is a big time sprinter. I don't care what the critics or fans say. He gets so much negative talk about him and how he will never amount to much. He is undefeated in Glasgow over three years. He took the silver medal last year in the European Indoor Championships. Craig has won countless awards since his teenager days. He has also beat most of his rivals consistantly for the last three years. The only exception is Chambers who has juiced and still may be on peds as he knows how to get away with it. Regardless, Craig Pickering is the most consistant head to head sprinter they have for several years now. While he may not have the fastest personal bests yet, give him time. He is only 22 and getting better all the time.

Pickering runs in the 6.50's range with ease. If he stays healthy, there is no reason he cannot challenge a flat 10 in the near future or go sub 10! I just wish the media, critics and fans would quit riding him so hard. That same pressure helped to do in Shirvo as he has admitted to on occasions.  It is so much pressure on a young kid although he seems to handle it better than most. That shows his character. With his family strongly behind him, great things will folllow soon. If I have a new years wish, it would be for him to beat Chambers for a spot on the team. It would probably take a high 6.40's to a flat 6.50 time to do it but don't bet against him. Craig Pickering is as big a competitor as you will ever see. He will bring it when the time comes. I still have that cold bottle of bubbly waiting for him to be the first of many white sprinters eventually to go sub 10! Good luck to my favorite sprinter!
smiley32.gif
If the photos I have seen on the internet are comeback photos of Chambers I would lay money he has another drug supplier. He is looking unusually dense and defined for a clean athlete. He does look smaller than when he was on Balco designer steroids though.

j41181

Master
Craig Pickering will get better. He just needs to stick to his game plan and work really hard. Sooner or later, results will start showing, like running a 6.50, or even better, a sub-10.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig races in a huge indoor race in Stuttgart, Germany tommorow. He will be facing some very tough competition. Fellow sprinters like European Recold Holder Ronald Pognon, H.A.Aieertty, Simeone Williamson, Tobias Unger, M. Broening, Christian Blum and a few others. This should be a fantastic race. It will probably take a new p.b. for Pickering to win. I'm hoping he is up for it and I would love to see Unger and Blum lay down an eye popping time as well. I only wish it was on tv or I could find it somewhere on the world wide web.

waterbed

Mentor
there is also a big indoor meet in Belgium in the place Gent tommorow.in the 2 heats will be the whites Dariusz Kuc ,maarten Heisen, Guus Hoogmoed,Yepishin, Jared Connaughton,Hannes Dreyer ( a white south african with pr 10.24 from 2008)
and other guys like dabryan blanton, de lima.where I live we have dutch channels of course and european sportchannel called europsort the basic neighbourchannels from england,belgium,france,Germany
were also a lot of white sprinters are from.so if i'm at home watching shouldn't be a problem.I hope you white brothers can watch it also somewhere
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Just found out that Christian Blum won today in a new p.b. of 6.56! Holy cow. He is taking it to another level. Simone Collio finished 3rd running a 6.60 time. I don't know what happened to Craig Pickering. He must have pulled out because he wasn't in the heats or the final. I hope he is ok. Osovnikar also raced and he looked ok.

In the 60 Hurdles, Borisov of Russia tied for the win with David Oliver. They both tied for the world lead in the event with a blistering 7.45! Way to go Borisov!

Good luck to all of those guys in Belgium. Please post the results if you get them before I do. I wish I could be watching it.

kre08

Guru
A poster on trackandfieldnews.com says Pickering was snowed in and never made it to the meet so although that's disappointing it's a huge relief he wasn't injured.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Even though Craig was disqualified from the finals in the English Trials by a false start, he looks like he is in the best shape of his life. I feel some personal best times coming up very soon both indoors and outdoors. He looks a little bigger and he has got more vascular. Craig has lost some weight around the mid section which can only help him. He reminds me a little of Shirvo with the way he is built now. What a powerful looking sprinter. Let's wish him luck this summer! Here is a picture from the prelims which he won his race.

[url]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8b/fullj.5d49acae09755384db38 002012ed8301/5d49acae09755384db38002012ed8301-getty-athletic s-gbr-sheffield.jpg[/url]

greyghost

Mentor
yep i agree craig has alot of pressure on him ,but i do think he is one hell of a sprinter with so much potential, relaxation is the key i reckon margot wells should get involved, but i still think andre yepishin will show his best in turin
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I get 5 stars because I have been here forever.Lol. It goes by the number of posts you have plus I am also a moderator here. Nice to have you here greyghost. This is one of the best sites on the internet. You will like it here.

Dariusz Kuc and Christian Blum are a force to be reckoned with.

Pickering is going to go off this weekend. He will be ready!

G

i cant wait to hear how craig does this weekend. Im feeling really good about him. i just have this feeling that this is his year. i only wish i could watch it live, best of luck craig!

j41181

Master
I'll be rooting for Pickering too! I hope he can set new personal best! Good luck to that man!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well it was another bad day for Craig. He ran a 6.58 in his heat to advance to the final. Then he just was flat in the finals. Pickering only managed a 6.62 to finish 5th. Simeone Williamson stold the show running a p.b. of 6.53 to cement his spot on the team. It now looks like it will be Chambers, Edgar and Williamson. I even have my doubts about Simeone as he trained in the off season in Jamaica with Bolt and Powell. He was the only British Sprinter to go over there. Even last year, Simeone was up and down like someone who cycles peds.

Back to the drawing board for Craig. He didn't run terrible or anything like that. It was just that he was average on a day he needed to run his best. I think it might be just a lack of races. Remember, he missed the race 2 weeks ago when he was snowed in and last weekend he was disqualified due to a false start. I belive it is more of a mental thing than physical. He will be all right but damn, is he in the dumps right now. Craig Pickering is his own worst critic. Hang in there Craig. It is a long season and this is only the beginning.
smiley32.gif

G

i know craig can and will do better, and im not worried about him at all. but there is a bigger problem and it is drugs. whenever athletes are inconsistent in there times and then run amazing p.bs, then you know that something is up. other than the lack of diversity in the sport, tracks main reason that it is unappealing is the cheaters. sometimes i think they should just make steroids legal.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Maybe Craig is putting too much pressure on himself, and it makes him choke a bit in these big races.
He didn't run poorly, but in a big meet you've got to step it up, and Craig should have at least been able to break 6.60 in the final.
I can only hope that he learned something from today's disappointing performance.