Craig Pickering

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
What will happen if Craig Pickering (or, "The Pic" as I like to call him, though it's not catching on
smiley36.gif
) actually does go under 10 seconds for the hundred?

I just hope he gets more respect and inspires other whites to be sprinters -- maybe even get some endorsements from big sponsors -- instead of what I think will actually happen: he'll be looked at as a freak, an anomaly, and likely "cheat."

I can already hear the weegros and other haters on youtube saying "he only did it 'cause of roids!"

And then the eventual caving under the pressure, the injuries, the early retirement, and second, more modest career in real estate.

Here;s hoping he does it anyway. If a white man can build a rocket to the moon, he can run a hundred meters in under 10 seconds [someday].

G

When he does then I'll have no more reason to live other than to reproduce then tell my grandchildren how good Craig was. I will then name my first born Craig.

j41181

Master
ABsprinter said:
When he does then I'll have no more reason to live other than to reproduce then tell my grandchildren how good Craig was. I will then name my first born Craig.
That's music to my ears!
smiley32.gif

Craig has the tools, the know how, everything!

It's now up to his will power, that will determine how far he can go. It will be his greatest challenge!

May the FORCE be with him!
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just got done watching the track meet from today. I must say that Pickering looked very good considering what he has gone through for the last month. Missing a meet from the snow, false starts, disqualifiction, falling aleep in the blocks, and constant criticism. He really needed these two wins for his confidence.

To run down Kim Collins like that when he was left for dead in the blocks is incredible. Kim Collins is highly respected world wide and he brings it every race. He doesn't get caught from behind that often. Craig just flat out ran him down. One thing that was cool about both races is he looked like he had alot left in the tank. He was at full speed and yet he was relaxed. Craig is going to have to break his p.b. soon with a better start. His top end speed is off the charts!

All I can say is bring on Torino. Craig will be ready. Everyone will assume it will be Chambers, Williamson or Cerutti. I think Craig is going to be right there in the mix with a chance to take the gold in a new personal best. He just needs to run his race and explode out of the blocks. Like a few of you said above, the start will determine everything both in Torino and this summer. He will get it down. This kid is just an amazing sprinter and also a great human being as well. My biggest wish for this summer is not only that Craig goes sub 10, but that he makes the finals in the World Championships in August! You can do it Craig. Good luck at the Euro Indoor Champs!
smiley32.gif

Observer

Mentor
j41181 said:
Craig has the tools, the know how, everything!

I still think he has bad form, runs like a mad kid chasin' somebody. To be an elite sprinter and still running like that shows a bunch of talent, I think.

G

Pickering could be anywhere from 1st to 3rd. No way even with a bad start will he lose to cerutti. I hope they both do well though. I am flabbergasted at his top speed!

G

I take that back only because Cerutti is on home turf. But Craig ill definately place.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
My personal opinion is that it will be between Chambers and Pickering. What a sweet victory it would be to beat him and get his revenge. Chambers has been a thorn in his side for 2 years now. Craig was also the only british sprinter with enough moxy to sign the petition trying to keep drug cheats out of competition. Craig Pickering is totally against any kind of peds.

One advantage Craig has is that he has won a medal at this event before(silver). He also is the most consistant indoor sprinter out of all of them. If it was outdoors, he would be a big underdog. Indoors he is one of the favorites. He usually owns Williamson indoors. Chambers is the man he has to beat.Edited by: white lightning

G

Very true it is easy to forget how consistently well Craig has done indoors. He has always done well indoors and is looking more powerful than ever. Williamson and Cerutti aren't as consistent as craig. Chambers will be tough to beat, but right now there isnt anything i would rather see than craig dust him.

I cant wait until Chambers retires. What a cheat. I dont know why he isnt banned forever.

devans

Mentor
ABsprinter said:
Not to mention he is running that fast with terrible arm motion. Your arms might be the most important asset to a good start, and he was moving them across his body way tooo much. I hope he can fix that too. Still, that start was unacceptable. He should of been .05 faster.

I have alsonoticed his poor arm style.IMHO (I am no expert) it looks like he generates too much rotational movement with his arms coming across his body the way they do. I've been waiting for a coach to change his technique but nothings seems to have changed over the last two years. Maybe I'm wrong about this? He stiil goes very fast but if he could squeeze another 0.05 seconds of speed by improving his arm technique that would be a major step forward.

j41181

Master
devans said:
ABsprinter said:
Not to mention he is running that fast with terrible arm motion. Your arms might be the most important asset to a good start, and he was moving them across his body way tooo much. I hope he can fix that too. Still, that start was unacceptable. He should of been .05 faster.

I have also noticed his poor arm style. IMHO (I am no expert) it looks like he generates too much rotational movement with his arms coming across his body the way they do. I've been waiting for a coach to change his technique but nothings seems to have changed over the last two years. Maybe I'm wrong about this? He stiil goes very fast but if he could squeeze another 0.05 seconds of speed by improving his arm technique that would be a major step forward.
The arms are definitely a factor (no expert either), but it could also be in the legs and feet, as in in terms of lift and reaction time. Papadias ran a 6.50 in 1997, the world record is 6.39 by that Greene fellow. It would be amazing if Craig could run anywhere from 6.49 to 6.45, when that will happen is up to him. Doing so will mean going below 10 seconds.Edited by: j41181

RBNY123

torino will be great. I think cerutti is just improving tremendously and will take first with home field advantage, followed closely i might add by craig or (the pic)
smiley4.gif

speedster

Mentor
Thanks for the link WL I really enjoyed that.In that very same meet Kevin Little won the 200 giving us two world champions,how about that.In that 200 Ato Boldon was the favourite and had it all his own way in the first two heats but in the final he sh*t himself when he found himself behind Little with 50 to go so to save the embarassment of a possible loss to a white guy he went down with a hamy pull or some crap like that.I thing the confidence both Papadias and Little showed is missing from some of our guys these days.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Your right about the confidence missing in some of our sprinters however that is not the case with Craig. Go watch the Speed Documentary and look at the swagger he has. He has a stare down next to none. He walks with that strut that says, don't f*** with me. Craig is a very confident kid wh doesn't back down. The problems with his start at the moment have nothing to do with fear of his competitors. This kid is a beast!

greyghost

Mentor
pick ie with a"k" says alot more rbnyie think of the slicing power of an axe ie a pickaxe {proper english}don tforget the russian in the 60meterhurdles
smiley2.gif

G

Ya WL, in confidence I met lack of nervousness in the blocks. Maybe his recent poor starts were attributed to his false start at avia. But with his 6.58 come from behind win I feel he knows hes got the speed to get gold at the european indoors. Knowing this will get him to beat chambers!

speedster

Mentor
It's good that Pickering has that stare down it's important maybe he has that attitude that I think Dusty Stamer had.Speaking of struts you can't beat Jeremy Wariner's although I have to say it's a little negro like.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
British sports betting/oddsmakers has Chambers as the favorite, Williamson 2nd, Cerruti 3rd, and Pickering and Collio 4th.
I think I would pick Cerruti over Williamson.

j41181

Master
jacknyc said:
British sports betting/oddsmakers has Chambers as the favorite, Williamson 2nd, Cerruti 3rd, and Pickering and Collio 4th.
I think I would pick Cerruti over Williamson.
I'd pick Cerruti 1st,
Pickering 2nd or 3rd

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Guests said:
Ya WL, in confidence I met lack of nervousness in the blocks. Maybe his recent poor starts were attributed to his false start at avia. But with his 6.58 come from behind win I feel he knows hes got the speed to get gold at the european indoors. Knowing this will get him to beat chambers!

Yeah the false starts I think are inside Craig's head I sensed that too when the field false started in Beijing and he didn't get a good jump in the quarter finals. He will have to really risk the false starts in the outdoor season (for 100 meters) and bring his absolute best finish to have a shot at medaling at the world championships; and I certainly don't think it will be this year.

There are at least a few guys who I can name who clearly have better top end speed and hold it longer too. Craig is very close to being a medal contender though if he can absolutely perfect his performances and bring his best in the big meets; he isn't far behind the top 3 guys in the world. But as I said Craig will always be at disadvantage to Jamaicans like Bolt (or Powell if he doesn't do his choke artist gig) and American Tyson Gay and maybe Walter Dix too; not sure about Chambers if he was racing clean; you can never be confident w/ a former cheat. Craig needs to perfect his performances in big meets.
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

j41181

Master
There is a lot of pressure on Pickering becoming a "true" top level 60/100 meter sprinter. Unless he just focuses on his performance, not worry too much about false starts, and not think too much about the competitions, he may never truly fulfill his true potential.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Great points.

He would seem to be a much more legitimate perennial medalist at 60 meters in the indoor season. He has great acceleration every time I watch him; but isn't consistent with his jump at the gun. He has good top-end speed for an Olympian; but it isn't quite at the Bolt level. He will have to master 60 meters before he can legitimately be a threat at 100 IMHO. He absolutely has to become a freakish starter to compete w/ the top 100 meter guys!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a great article on Craig Pickering. He is ready for the European Indoor Championships which starts tommorow. In another article, he said he feels he will run the perfect race in the 60 soon. He has been breaking his p.b. in practice alot but hasn't put it together in the races. Let's hope he can do it this weekend and bring home the gold!

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/ article5844143.ece[/url]