Craig Pickering

waterbed

Mentor
I saw the final with Craig after 20-30 meters it was over for Craig Pickering.

But still i have the feeling this 6.62 is faster then when he runs the first 60 meters of 100 meter outdoors.he can run last 40 meters of 100 meter in normal conditions in 3.50 or so

G

i agree waterbed. if craig can replicate his indoor performances outdoors then on the right day with the right conditions he will break 10 sec, even if he were to run right now.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm not nearly as knowledgable about track as you guys, but i seem to remember that Pickering has repeatedly stated that his start is his biggest weakness and that his top-end speed is better than most of the guys he runs against. is this true?

if so, his big improvement indoors bodes very well for his performance in the 100 when they run outside.
smiley1.gif

G

no i would say he lacks more speed endurance, or keeping his top end speed. His top end is the same as most pro sprinters, about 30 mph, but keeping it in the last 40 meters is very difficult, although lemaitre pulls it off like bolt in my opinion. i ithink indoors his starts are even great, but outdoors he needs improvement in his start. certainly you have hit on a key point though and that is that he has a lot of potential for the 100, and i think hell deliver. it doesnt hurt that the 2012 olympic games are in london, either.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Anywhere and everywhere. From Tilastopaja.net to Trackandfieldnews.com, IAAF.org, Trackshark.com, eurosport.com, bbc.com, athleticnews.com, etc.

I have a radar for the sprints. I live for this! White sprinters were competetive back in the 50's through the 80's. It will happen again. We need to belive in our selves. Whites need to take pride in our heritage!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Pickering is one of those white guys that really has that ELITE top-end speed even for the world class. He can compete from what I've heard on this board and watching him in some Youtube videos.

He will have to hold that speed a bit longer and consistently start to really be a medal threat.

When he is in the Olympics he is going to have to start like he is running a 60 meter race in the indoor season to have a shot at a medal (Bronze or Silver; unless Bolt chokes). He can't hold anything back for fear of a false start (I think that happened a bit this last Olympics when the field false started and he had a bad lane), b/c their are AT LEAST a few guys who have a consistent edge in a top-end speed/holding top-end speed combo currently. Craig hasn't seemed to confidently start in big races especially in 100 meters.

If Craig could get himself to fairly consistently run sub 6.55 in meets that matter (and break 6.5 in an indoor season like Nagel did) which would be very hard to do then if he catches the maximum tailwind, gets a good lane with dry conditions and gets a strong field to push him he will break 10 seconds. He just looks too talented to not be able to accomplish this feat.

Hopefully Lemaitre will get there too, cause he looks like he will possibly be even more talented than Pickering.

Just think; if Craig could turn into Nagel; with his own personal top-end speed maybe even a high 9.8 is possible which should be a medal time; in almost any conditions.

I'm a realist Craig isn't going to win Gold with "The Freak" Bolt, but I have a dream of him being on the medal stand in London!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
ABsprinter said:
no i would say he lacks more speed endurance, or keeping his top end speed. His top end is the same as most pro sprinters, about 30 mph, but keeping it in the last 40 meters is very difficult, although lemaitre pulls it off like bolt in my opinion. i ithink indoors his starts are even great, but outdoors he needs improvement in his start. certainly you have hit on a key point though and that is that he has a lot of potential for the 100, and i think hell deliver. it doesnt hurt that the 2012 olympic games are in london, either.

I had heard somewhere that the only man they have ever clocked for a brief second or so at 30 MPH was Bolt in his world record run this past Olympics. I heard that 28-29 MPH is most of these elite Olympians guys "absolute maximum" speed. The crazy thing about Bolt is that he holds his speed for a long range in the 28 MPH+ range and is a good starter too.

devans

Mentor
I had a bad feeling about this race since I learned that Simione Williamson had just returned from a couple of months "training" in Jamaica. He set a new PB of course.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Speaking of the great Simeon Williamson. They already say he is the next big time sprinter. Well with that 6.53 race, he still has only run in the 6.50's three times. Even Dwain Chambers has only run in that range 12 times in a 10 year career.

By comparison, Craig Pickering has run in the 6.50's range a whooping 14 times at only 22 years of age but he is already labeled a bust.
smiley7.gif
People are so ignorant to write him off at the beginning of his career. I know better. This kid has all of the tools to be an elite sprinter. It is just a matter of putting it together in some races this summer. People need to get off this kids back. The pressure must be immense!

Don't worry about it Craig. You will be just fine. Just race your race and let the times speak for themselves. You have proven your worth indoors. Soon it will be time to shut up the skeptics & critics outdoors. Good luck to Craig In the Euro Indoor Chamionships and also in the outdoor season this summer!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You asked and here is your answer. Craig will be racing one last meet before the Euro Indoors this thursday. He will compete in Prague on Feb. 26th. This is to be his last tune up to get his race sharpness down. I really think we need to see a very fast time for Craig. He needs it for his confidence as he attempts to defend his silver medal from the last European Indoor Championships.

Good luck to Craig and all of the other sprinters we cheer for. It should be exciting in Torino!

G

Vey good I hope he puts up a 6.53 to tie Williamson, or at least a 6.55 to know hes already ceded to get a medal. Cerutti doesn;t really have confidence problems, but it looks like Pickering does at times. Thanks I can't wait to find out how he does. Go Craig!

kre08

Guru
Craig won in Prague today defeating Kim Collins with a time of 6.58. Good race but I would really love to see him dip below 6.55 at some point this season.

j41181

Master
Great win by Pickering, 6.58 may not be his best, but it's a step in the right direction.

He again started slow, but finished very fast.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I am glad Craig won and put up a good time. But I am also worried to hear that he started poorly. This has been a weak point for him since he came onto the scene. Thank goodness for his closing speed, but he has to improve on this if he is going to make a break-through to the next level.
Craig is amazingly consistent in his 60m races, which is great. But he has to start improving too.
His best time this year is 6.57
His best time last year was 6.57
His best time in 2007 was 6.55
He needs to make improvements with his start,the first part of his race, and his form.
I am so anxious for him to bust one loose and show everyone he is ready to take it to the next level.
Come on Craig! I really hope he can show us something special at the Euro Indoor Championships next wkend.

j41181

Master
If only he can duplicate his performance and successes on the 100 meters.

greyghost

Mentor
also outdoors is where its at and i believe malcolm arnold and craig are aiming at a new pb over 100 rather than an indoor pb looking at picks top end speed he is heading definitely for 10.10 if not into the 10.0s
smiley2.gif

j41181

Master
greyghost said:
also outdoors is where its at and i believe malcolm arnold and craig are aiming at a new pb over 100 rather than an indoor pb looking at picks top end speed he is heading definitely for 10.10 if not into the 10.0s
smiley2.gif
a sub-10.10 will be great for both.

G

Thanks for the vid, Waterbed. That might have been the worst start I've ever seen Craig Pickering had. To still pull off a 6.58 is astounding. His top speed indicates that he could possibly already be sub-10. Disturbing, however, is that after his pervious false start at aviva he has been asleep in the blocks. He is at the prime of his athleticism but mentally I dont know. He IS more athletic than Cerruti, than Chambers, and Williamson. But his head has got to be in the race. If you noticed, he was the first to set up in the blocks. He would probably be better off jumping or shocking his muscles. I have never seen him so fast, and never with such a bad start. I hope he pulls it toggether this season, because if he does he will be running some scary times.

G

Not to mention he is running that fast with terrible arm motion. Your arms might be the most important asset to a good start, and he was moving them across his body way tooo much. I hope he can fix that too. Still, that start was unacceptable. He should of been .05 faster.

albinosprint

Mentor
what amazing closing speed. I got a good feeling he will be under 10.10 this year.

G

As for a confidence booster, I think this race was perfect. He definitely knows that he has the highest top speed hes ever had, and that he is faster than hes ever been. Im sure that he will take that away from this meet. If he combines a good start with closing speed like that, theres no doubt that he already has the ability to go under 6.50 and 10.00.