2013 NFL Combine

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yet they are saying he's not a legit deep threat. That time is right there with Desean Jackson.

Yes par for the course with their agenda. So ridiculous.

Vernon also ran a sub 4.5 which is really nice - he should easily be a 2nd round pick and an outside WR yet he will be type cast to the slot.

Spadola ran really well and looked as impressive as any WR out their physically.

I hope the Jags draft TJ Moe and reunite him with Gabbert - he actually is a slot WR - really well built and catches everything

The 4.34 by Swope has to be one of if not the fastest 40 posted by a White athlete, no? It's funny, his NFL draft profile (created before the combine based on perception) says he only has average straight line speed. What a joke.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Does anyone have a video of the run by Ryan Swope? I'm so happy he performed even better than I expected. I figured he would run in the low 4.4 range but damn can this kid move! He can flat out fly and he has hands like Welker in my opinion. Just for fun I also went and read the scouting experts opinion on Ryan and it is all just a bunch of lies. You don't become the all time leading receiver and best deep threat at Texas A & M for nothing. The kid has some serious wheels. I think he is faster than Jordan Shipley and look what Jordan has done so far.

The stupid scouts say that Ryan lacks the elite athletecism to separtate at the next level. What the hell? How can a 4.34 guy not separate from defenders? The lies have and always will continue as long as dwf's buy into the stereotypes. This kid will be a star but only if he is allowed to start and shine in his proper position. Ryan Swope should be a number 1 or 2 receiver! I want him to start any way he can so if it's the slot so be it but in a fair world no coach with any brains would put their fastest player in the slot!

I can't wait to see Rex Burkhead and Zach Line later on today! I hope they can both run some where in the 4.4 range. Line might be in the 4.5 just because he has been advised to bulk up a little which is bull crap in my opinion. Both of these kids have starting running back written all over them!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Nice post WL.

Swope looked great out here. Just verifying his performance on the field week in and week out.

Vernon was probably the best receiver out there today working out. Caught everything and was just really natural. Reminds me of Mike Hass but hopefully he does not get that same caste treatment Hass was subject to.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Spadola ran a 4.44 and 4.41 40 - I wonder if that helps him out.

TJ Moe ran a 4.69 and 4.75- he is built like an RB

Swope ran a 4.44 and a 4.38

Verbon ran a 4.59 and 4.47

For some reason NFL.com has Spadola at a 4.48.. They also have Vernon running a 4.68. A little dissapointed in TJ Moe was hoping he'd at least be in the 4.6 range but damn is he strong!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The 4.34 by Swope has to be one of if not the fastest 40 posted by a White athlete, no? It's funny, his NFL draft profile (created before the combine based on perception) says he only has average straight line speed. What a joke.

Yes. It's also one of the faster times in Combine history. Curtis ran in the 4.3 range. Tim Dwight ran a disappointing time at the Combine but was capable of running in the 4.3 range. I don't know if Travis Jervey was invited to the Combine but he probably could run low 4.3's.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Ryan Swope should be a number 1 or 2 receiver! I want him to start any way he can so if it's the slot so be it but in a fair world no coach with any brains would put their fastest player in the slot!
Swope, who starred at RB during his HS days is the perfect "Welker". After all, Wes Welker is always on the field (pretty much) for the Pats, and lines up as the "2" on the outside when they run 2 receiver sets. Swope will be unstoppable in that sort of role.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I call bs at least on the Burkhead run, there is no way he would have ran if he knew it was close to the 4.7 range, he would have said his knee was bothering him like every afflete does (Richardson etc)

Well it's unofficial for now. Swope's was higher and he got bumped down to a 4.34. Maybe he will end up with a high 4.5 time or something. Let's wait and see. Line's 4.81 is just ridiculous. He looks like a 4.6 guy. How in the hell does he run such a bad time?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Burkhead ran a 4.75 the second time - hopefully his official time is in the 4.6 range. I guess when it comes to RB's it does not really matter since Hester and Hillis ran in the 4.5 range and Leonard ran 4.48 and still never got fair shots in the league.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well it's unofficial for now. Swope's was higher and he got bumped down to a 4.34. Maybe he will end up with a high 4.5 time or something. Let's wait and see. Line's 4.81 is just ridiculous. He looks like a 4.6 guy. How in the hell does he run such a bad time?

Might not be the end of the world if they perform well in other events. They will have to tear it up in the 20yd shuttle, vertical, and broad jumps. Also I saw some of the other big name RBs didnt run well.(Stephon Taylor,Riddick,Randle, Jefferson)

But I agree I was expecting a 4.5 from Rex and 4.6 from Zach :noidea:

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Might not be the end of the world if they perform well in other events. They will have to tear it up in the 20yd shuttle, vertical, and broad jumps. Also I saw some of the other big name RBs didnt run well.(Stephon Taylor,James Stacey, Cierre Wood)

But I agree I was expecting a 4.5 from Rex and 4.6 from Zach :noidea:
All of the running backs had slow times. But 4.8 will further stereotype Line.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
All of the running backs had slow times. But 4.8 will further stereotype Line.

It definitely will. Mayock already made the comment he might need to learn to play some Fullback..

Line did 26 reps and had a 30.5 inch vert. 111 inch broad jump not bad.. a 4.6 would have solidified him as a 3rd round pick.

Burkhead did 21 reps and had a 39 inch vert and a 125inch broad jump!

Braden Wilson FB/TE is 6'3 250 ran a 4.75
Tommy Bohannon FB is 6'1 246 and ran a 4.8 36 bench reps, 35 inch vert and 119 broad jump. Imagine what he could do at 235lbs instead of being so bulked up.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
That Dweeb on NFL Network just hyped up Smiff, Manuel and Scott as QBs whose stock is rising :dizzy:

Riddlewire

Master
The 40 times in this circus are all "selected" by the combine braintrust in order to tell the story they want.

You can't possibly think otherwise. At the very least, you have to concede that the timing equipment is inconsistent.

Unless you are so deluded as to believe that Onterio McCalebb actually ran a 4.21 on one of his attempts. I doubt any human being has ever run forty yards from dead stop in 4.21 seconds. A "timed" 4.21? Maybe. But not a real 4.21.

dwid

Hall of Famer
The 40 times in this circus are all "selected" by the combine braintrust in order to tell the story they want.

You can't possibly think otherwise. At the very least, you have to concede that the timing equipment is inconsistent.

Unless you are so deluded as to believe that Onterio McCalebb actually ran a 4.21 on one of his attempts. I doubt any human being has ever run forty yards from dead stop in 4.21 seconds. A "timed" 4.21? Maybe. But not a real 4.21.

even the "draft gurus" are arguing about the times this year, that they are off, of course they are aruging about Swope's time but they are comparing blacks together and saying it is off in general

Leveon Bell 4.60
Joseph Randle 4.63
Stefphon Jefferson 4.68
Stepfan Taylor 4.76
Zach Line 4.77
Ray Graham 4.80
Robbie Rouse 4.80

Rouse and Graham are small guys and Stephan Taylor is about the same size as Burkhead

Last edited:
All of you must be young...Swope's 40 was amazing...but Don Beebe is the fastest ever...he ran 4.25(not sure though if this was combine). Beebe currently runs a speed camp.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm a track guy and any one who follows athletics can tell you that 40 times are almost always incorrect. They stretch the truth so much all to give people the perception that these guys are supermen. Only a handful of nfl players are really that fast. So they can take their 40 times and shove them. Even the all time leading receiver and running backs in nfl history are both guys with average speed.

For anyone who thinks that Rex Burkhead is that slow, then go watch dwids video. The guy had so many big runs in his four years at Nebraska! Only a fool would think that he cannot play at the next level. He will be awesome on Sundays if a team gives him the chance to start. Here is an article which talks a little about the speed of running backs and how it's a little bit overrated. Zach Line should also insist to stay at running back period!!

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_b9b33afa-7ec3-11e2-9873-0019bb2963f4.html

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Burkhead's 40 might have been a little disappointing but he finished 2nd in vert jump at 39.0 , 2nd in broad jump at 125.0, 4th in the three cone drill at 6.85, 2nd in the 20 yard shuttle at 4.09, 5th in the 60 yard shuttle at 11.51. He should open some eyes with those numbers.

TJ Moe also had very good 3cone drill numbers and shuttle numbers.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Burkhead's 40 might have been a little disappointing but he finished 2nd in vert jump at 39.0 , 2nd in broad jump at 125.0, 4th in the three cone drill at 6.85, 2nd in the 20 yard shuttle at 4.09, 5th in the 60 yard shuttle at 11.51. He should open some eyes with those numbers.

TJ Moe also had very good 3cone drill numbers and shuttle numbers.

TJ tore it up in every drill besides the straight line test. If DWFs still think this just another "white stiff" maybe this will change thier mind.

Missouri wide receiver T.J. Moe impresses in everything but 40-yard dash at Combine.

tjmoegrab_medium.gif

Last edited: