2012 Week 4 College Football

Riddlewire

Master
Zach Zenner continues his torrid pace for South Dakota State.

29carries 237yards 1TD

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
That looked like a pretty cheap hit on Zordich IMO. The defensive player dived right at his knee

Highlander

Mentor
DWID, what is Burkhead's 40 time? Nfldraftscout has him as at a 4.48 at 210 lbs? Does that sound about right? I sure hope he can run a high 4.4 time at the Combine. He's the 7th ranked running back as well.
Here's an excerpt from an article on July 27th, 2012...

Friday, we stumbled upon breaking news.

Rex Burkhead let down his guard. He actually bragged about himself. Stop the presses.

"I can throw down a little bit," the Nebraska senior running back said of his ability to dunk a basketball.

An All-Big Ten pick last season on the gridiron, the 5-foot-11, 210-pound Burkhead apparently can dunk a basketball easily. Very, very easily, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini confirmed.

Granted, that's not exactly Katie-leaving-Tom-level news. After all, Rex is a top-shelf athlete. He was proficient enough on the hardwood to draw recruiting interest from Texas Tech and SMU. Even so, Pelini regards Burkhead's dunking ability as an important fact for an interesting reason.

"A lot of people call Rex a 'throwback player,'" Pelini said. "They almost act like he's this overachiever. I think he gets a lot out of what he does. But I don't think people realize how good of an athlete this guy is.

"He's a tremendous athlete. … It's ridiculous, really. He has almost a 40-inch vertical leap. I don't think people realize how explosive this guy is."

Pelini can be very opinionated. He was in that type of mood Friday. He knows and we know why Burkhead gets tagged a "throwback player" and "overachiever," but we typically bite our tongue.

Pelini let loose with the truth.

"Let's face it, people also say he's a white guy," the coach said. "People stereotype — that's what society does."

In Pelini’s opinion, Burkhead gets overlooked nationally. He said it doesn’t bother him. It does surprise him, though.

After all, Burkhead, in addition to his leaping ability, runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash.

"Maybe faster," Pelini said.

Riddlewire

Master
Kansas has no idea how to stop Jordan Lynch.
23/35 235yds 2TD
19c 125yds

Northern Illinois leads 30-23 with 3 minutes left.

seattlefan

Guru
Zach Laskey 14 carries 77 yards for GA tech.
That Burkhead article is front page worthy.
Turner Peterson has 65+ yards rushing and 1 td for Rice. Never heard of him before today.
Blankenship has 488 yards rushing in 4 games.

Riddlewire

Master
PITT WR Mike Shanahan
5 receptions 144 yards 2TDs

-This has been a pretty good day so far for white skill position players.

-And Oregon State has the worst defensive backs in the country.

Last edited:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
dwid, I think what I saw is on his 61 yard TD run, I think Rex's new knee brace was what was affecting his running style a little bit. On his other carries, Rex looked GREAT! :D My bad, dwid. I also worry about Abdullah cutting into Rex's carries; the announcers on BTN were really hyping him up today as "1B" to Rex's 1A. He's talented, but I don't think he's on Rex's level yet. I was going to mention Zordich and Zwinak's good games. I'm hoping Bill Belton doesn't displace those two when the "real RB" comes back.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
McHargue of Rice had a huge game today even though they lost in a shootout. He threw for well over 300 yards and rushed for over 100! Sam McGuffie had 2 touchdowns and 4 receptions for 103 yards! Way to go Sam. I still wish he could have stayed at running back though and I also wish he would have stayed at Michigan. It's very hard to watch Rice play and the NFL Scouts will not give him the respect he would have gotten if he stayed in Ann Arbor. I hope he has a monster year though and proves everyone wrong. He is so explosive!

Riddlewire

Master
Here's an interesting statistical abnormality.

Murray State versus Eastern Illinois
Just four minutes into the game, WR Erik Lora has 7 catches for 81 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Highlander

Mentor
Colorado with an incredible comeback against Washington State, down 14-31 in the second half, they win it, 35-34...at Washington State.

Ex-Jayhawks QB, Jordan Webb, was 29/43 for 346 yds and 2 tds. He also had 2 rushing tds.

Riddlewire

Master
You can't have a much better day than Connor Shaw did for South Carolina.

20 of 21 for 249 yards, 2TD
12 carries for 41 yards

seattlefan

Guru
Before the Michigan - ND game one of the announcers said Denard Robinson "may be the best player in the country."

Highlander

Mentor
Before the Michigan - ND game one of the announcers said Denard Robinson "may be the best player in the country."
He's high from too much jock-sniffing. Duh-nard just threw a pick and ND gets a FG from it.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I actually think Michigan will end up winning the game, but I don't care because both teams have black quarterbacks.

Highlander

Mentor
Duh-nard with his second interception of the night.

EDIT: Now Ghoul-son throws a pick for ND.

So far, Duh-nard is tied with Ghoul-son 2-2 in interceptions...and the night is still young.

EDIT: Now Duh-nard is up 3-2 over Ghoul-son.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Kelly removed his head from his ass and put Rees in the game after the 2nd INT from his black quarterback.

Highlander

Mentor
Kelly removed his head from his ass and put Rees in the game after the 2nd INT from his black quarterback.
Didn't see the first INT by Ghoul-son. I've updated my post to reflect that. Duh-nard up 3-2 now (in INTs) over Ghoul-son.

seattlefan

Guru
Hilarious game. 2 afflete QBs, 5 ints between them in the first half. ND puts in their white backup and he leads his team right down field for a TD.

Highlander

Mentor
Duh-nard is leading Ghoul-son 4-2 now in INTs at the half.

At the half:
Duh-nard 5/13, 59 yards, 4 INTs, 0 TDs - QB Rating 15.0
Ghoul-son 3/8, 30 yards, 2 INTs, 0 TDs - QB Rating 19.0

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
some random thoughts ...

IF the best player in the country is a quarterback, then the best player in the country is Tyler Wilson of Arkansas. i'd take him over any other qb in college football. he is the total package for a pro-style quarterback.

otherwise, though, the Arkansas program is in a shambles. they have two of the worst offensive linemen in Division One football (Peac0ck and Bailey), the most overrated tailback in (at least) the SEC in Knile Davis, the interim head coach John L. Smith is completely lost (and completely lost his money. how the heck can an individual be $25 million in debt?!?!?!), and their defense (aside from safety/linebacker Ross Rasner, who is a bad ass) is simply AWFUL. also, is there another team in D1 whose wideouts drop more passes than the Arkansas receiving corps?

Iowa sophomore walk-on tailback Mark Weisman, after beginning the season as co-2nd-team fullback (and perhaps 6th on the depth chart at tailback), has become an instant fan favorite and Iowa legend after his dominating performance against Northern Iowa. some Hawkeye fans even began a facebook group "Weisman for Heisman."

after today's 27-carry, 217-yard (that's an 8-yard-per-carry average), 3-touchdown game, the legend will only grow.

in just two games as the featured back, Weisman has 51 carries for 330 yards and 6 touchdowns. not bad for a blue-collar, overachieving, slow, gym rat. just imagine what he could do if he had some talent ...

a big part in creating the excitement of Central Michigan's upset over Iowa was the performance of wide receiver Cody Wilson. the senior finished the day with 8 catches for 105 yards and 4 carries for 20 yards.

i think Wisconsin has found their quarterback. Joel Stave looked very good today. not coincidentally, Jared Abbrederis (who is seemingly always open) was dominant, repeatedly (and literally) putting defensive backs on the ground with his change-of-direction explosions and speed. Abbrederis had 6 catches for 147 yards and 1 touchdown.

is there a more underrated wide receiver in the country than Duke's Conner Vernon? once again, he was completely uncoverable. the destined-to-break-every-ACC-receiving-record playmaker compiled 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns.

if there is a more underrated wide receiver than Vernon, it's probably Wake Forest's Michael Campanaro. the former tailback finished today's game against Army with 12 catches (most of which were behind or near the line of scrimmage) for 153 yards and 2 touchdowns along with 5 carries for 31 yards and 1 more touchdown. he also returned 2 punts for 12 yards.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
If a white guy threw 4 ints in the first half, they would have taken him out already.