2012 Outdoor Track Season

elispeedster

Mentor
Does anyone have a link to the video of this race? Nice result by both Rytis and Ramil but they need to get their starts worked out. They can close like a freight train but to get to 10 seconds flat or to dip under will take alot more effort. They need to have all of the different phases of sprinting down to a science. It's amazing to mee how Lemaitre, Guliyev and Sakalauskas all have poor starts. This shows how much of the training is flawed in Europe for the sprints. You don't have to be on p.e.d.s. to be a great starter. It is possible to do it naturally but they need to switch up the training methods. It just kills me that our three best sprinters outsid of Gemelli are stuck in quick sand when they come out of the blocks! I've even seen countless races where Guliyev just popped right up with zero drive phase. That is crazy. It's how little kids run. You have to stay low with your head down and drive like your pulling a freight train. Without a better drive phase, these guys will be lucky to ever go sub 10 and all of them easily have the talent.

Please address these issues to the coaching staff of these European Countries. These guys are wasting their prime years running times that are too slow for their abilities. Damn I wish I could quit my job and go coach some of them myself! I doubt I could do too much worse than what is going on now. We can only be patient so long. These guys deserve better training!

They have old coaches who follow the old system and dont tailor their approach to the individual sprinter. They see sprinters as sprinters and any training will do, which is total bull. Each sprinter runs due to different strengths - some bounce, some drive, some hop, some power etc...Any training that is different, these old European coaches will shun because they are old and think like 40 years ago. So sad. Lemaitre could be running 9.8 and 19.7 now, and Guliyev would of broken 10 and 20 as well - all natural.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great video of the race. Thanks guys! I think Rytis is a hell of a talent. He could probably lose a few pounds though and get a little more toned. That is what is so crazy about these guys. Even Guliyev is so skinny. He had the worst start ever but damn near ran down everyone like Lemaitre does. I hope things get fixed in the near future for both of these studs! Both should have went sub 10 already!

Finally a descent result from Cerutti. He has a long way to go but it's a slight improvement with almost no wind.

Sassari (Italy), 17.6.2012

Men
100m (0.3) 1 Fabio Cerrutti 10.24; 2 Abdouraim Haroun (cha) 10.25; 3 Suwaibou Sanneh (gam) 10.26; 4 Idrissa Adam (cmr) 10.28; 5 Jonathon Han**** (usa) 10.41

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another new personal best for Julian Reuss. He won the 200 meters in the national championships today.

Home win for Julian Reus (Photo: Gantenberg)

Title dream come true for Julian Reus

It was a three-way battle with two blue and one red. The Leverkusen-Aleixo Platini Menga turned namely, the local hero Julian Reus and Sebastian Ernst side by side on the home stretch. He had years with 20.33 seconds Fastest Aleixo-Platini Menga but not the stamina to get into the hall as the title. The grains of this was crucial in the fight to the bitter Sprint Wattenscheider Julian Reus, who ran in 20.58 seconds not only a new personal best. Came for the 24-year-old who has an injury-related dry spell behind him sharply, and in winter, it was the first success of DM in adults. "I know I have my strengths forward. Back then I was really fighting and fighting. I got the thing but somehow went home," said Julian Reus. Aleixo-Platini Menga was 20.64 seconds over 100 meters as was second, followed by Sebastian Ernst (20.72 sec), where the Wolfsburg-based Sven Knipphals (20.74 seconds) at the end came quite close

albinosprint

Mentor
My god his start is terrible! I feel the need to contact him on facebook and tell him, but I don't want to sound rude. Guliyev better square that **** away if he wants to go under 10.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think this is wrong but I'm not sure. Another Russian Aleksandr Brednev shows a personal best of 10.19 with a negative 0.1 wind. This is on the top lists for European Sprinters. I know he finished 3rd behind Sakaulatis and Guliyev yesterday in the same time of 10.19 but the wind was over the allowable amount. Yet it shows him running that time this year. Any updates I don't know about?

I think this is wrong but I'm not sure. Another Russian Aleksandr Brednev shows a personal best of 10.19 with a negative 0.1 wind. This is on the top lists for European Sprinters. I know he finished 3rd behind Sakaulatis and Guliyev yesterday in the same time of 10.19 but the wind was over the allowable amount. Yet it shows him running that time this year. Any updates I don't know about?
Its listed on IAAF.org WL. It has to be official. They have gotten much better updating their times in the same day where in previous years it would take 3 or 4 days. They had Gemili's 10.08 up almost 4 hours after he ran it. This Brednev might be a late bloomer.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is good news. He is only 24 so he still has some good years ahead of him. By comparison Lemaitre is only 22 so two years isn't much difference. Brednev is an explosive starter. He is a short but very powerfully built sprinter. I can't wait to see him at the Euro Championships. It's a shame that Ramil Guliyev isn't even allowed to race there since he changed countries. That really sucks!

I just read an interview with Lucas Jakubczyk. He is 27 and a has been a long jumper his whole career. He just won the 100 at the German National Championships in a time of 10.16 which had too much wind but he ran a 10.20 wind legal in the heats. This guy only switched to the sprints this year due to nagging injuries from long jumping. He still says he want's stick with the long jump but I think he is crazy. He has at least 3 guys in Germany who can out jump him by a mile. Lucas is the fastest man in Germany. The story reminds me of the great Allan Wells who also was a former long jumper and he went on to win a gold in the olympics over 100 meters. He also won countless medals over 100 & 200 meters.

My point is that despite Lucas being 27, he is meant to be a sprinter. Give up long jumping. I hope they can talk some sense into him. He is too old to keep jumping and getting hurt every year and still not producing in that event. He should have been a sprinter from day one. There is no time to waste. Let's hope his coach can convince him to stick with sprinting. This kind of thing makes me wonder about guys like Greg Rutherford and Mitchell Watt to name just a few. These guys have p.b.'s in the 100 of near 10.30! I would bet alot of money that both could come close to 10 if they trained only for the sprints for at least 3-4 years. It makes you wonder!

I am just surprised at the time because for years Russian and Eastern European countries put out tons of semi-world class sprinters and now there best times seem to be around 10.3 - 10.4. The Ukraine a few years back had 10.0x sprinters like Porkemovsky, Kosya Rurak, Slava Dologodin and Vitaly Savin. Even Australia and Greece used to pit out a fair amount of top athletes and now nothing. The Greek National Championships had the winner in the 100 meters run a 10.50. Just pathetic. What ever happened to the depth they put out? Pavlakakis. Theodoridis, Choidis, Kenteris, Pavlakakis and many more. Other than Germany, England and maybe Italy there seems to be a real decline in countries putting out serious talent.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The main problem in Greece is the lack of funding. The country is bankrupt and they have even canceled most of the big track meets there from what I've heard. They just can't afford to keep funding athletics. Very sad situation yet they still have some great world class jumpers. Australia has really cut back on the funding too. With out the money to help an athlete survive, most will choose other sports or just go into the business world! What a shame.

greyghost

Mentor
blocks

blocks are about one thing ..... strength and the power to use that strength in the drive phase....note where their blocks are placed ie 45 or 40degrees is ideal, but u will notice by the likes of CL that his blocks are at a higher angle... because he has yet not the strength in the drive phase.. therefore he has to get into his acceleration phase as best possible! ...... note borzov and wells had tremendous power out of the blocks( ie the state of inertia) both strong athletes.... a lot of these lads have to get stronger glutes .... heavy squats ..single leg squats ..box jumps 50 inch minimum.. for sub 10 sprinter ...and plyos plyos plyos.. but for real plyos u need real strength ....

greyghost

Mentor
blocks

doing specific long jump training helps with explosivity...ie alot of single leg stuff!!!!!!! ...great to see brednev ... rytis has to lean up ..and i reckon guliyev is on the way back .. but how soon ....:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

greyghost

Mentor
championships

and reus is the only german in a long time who may challenge in finland...hopefully he will...staying injury free.. :smile: auf gehts hr reus ..ab ins gefecht!!!!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just confimed it from a few more sources as far as Aleksandr Brednevs time. He ran a 10.19 in the heats for the fastest wind legal time of the day and then came back and ran the same time in the finals. His 10.19 in the heats shows that he is for real. He had a 10.34 wind legal back in May but he is really coming into form. Finally Russia has a few guys to keep an eye on. I've been waiting for decades for them to get some world class men back into sprinting. The military commitment is always tough and most also go into other sports. That could change if a few more guys like Brednev inspire some of the young people like Lemaitre has in France! We will keep a close eye on this Aleksandr Brednev. It's exciting to see some new names making some noise this summer. I think we are going to see alot more personal bests in the next 2 months as well. All I ask for is some more guys to get close to 10 seconds flat! That would be make for some great sprint watching!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a great article on Jeremy Wariner. I hoping the married life will help him to get his focus back on the track. Sometimes having a partner can help you to acheive your dreams. He does seem happy. Good luck to him in making the olympics and hopefully some how regaining the gold medal as the best 400 meter sprinter on earth again.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blo...-looking-to-regain-form-in-happier-place.html

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Sergey Morgunov of Russia just set a World Junior record in the Long Jump. He jumped 8.35m or about 27ft 5inches (actually a bit shorter).
There is definitely a white renaissance in the long jump.
There's a good possibility that all 3 Olympic medalists will be white.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Incredible news. Where is the link to these championships? Thanks and I hope someone posts a video of this jump soon.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Could Brady Gehret be the next Wariner? I sure hope so. Whether he makes the team or not isn't as important as him running against a world class field. It will help him going into his final two years of college. He is also going to run in the 200 at the U.S. Nationals. Good luck to this kid that we have followed since high school.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/22/3238050/nittany-lion-runner-seeking-spot.html

greyghost

Mentor
championships

i am guessing craig pickering must be pissed after watching the brit oly trials, had he been fit i am sure he would have been in there..also dai green and jack green both looking good...and greg rutherford did what he had to do ... andrew robertson has to physically stronger, he has the talent but not yet the strength over the last from 70 thru 100. same with cackett , but both are only 21 !! big upside....still such a pity pickering is injured..:thumbsup:

mastermulti

Master
Decathlete Trey Hardee gets an A qualifier for the Games with 8383 ppoints while Ashton Eaton annihilates the field and regains the WR for the United States becoming best of all time with an incredible 9039- wow!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Decathlete Trey Hardee gets an A qualifier for the Games with 8383 ppoints while Ashton Eaton annihilates the field and regains the WR for the United States becoming best of all time with an incredible 9039- wow!
Anybody have any idea what ethnicity Eaton is? I'm guess he is a Quadroon, but he almost looks like a dark Mexican. A couple of years ago he set the indoor world record in the heptahlon but his weakest events have been the day two power events. I guess with added years the strength came.

mastermulti

Master

Meanwhile in a little Belgian town called Nivelle, Sally Pearson won the hurdles in 12.52 and made a rare international 100
meter appearance - 11.20 (-1.2) and with no-one pushing her which shows her basic speed.

Surely that would put her close to the 11.07(+0.9) third placing achieved in the U.S trials today - adding further fuel to the argument there must be some white girls in the States who can potentially run this fast too.

trackster

Mentor
Both Brady Gehret and Jeremy Wariner made it into the finals tonight at the US Olympic Trials. Jordan Boase probably would have made it three, but he didn't run the semis for some reason.

Anyway, what can you say about Gehret? We've been following him since high school, and the kid (really still a kid) is just amazing. He's been running low 45's consistently now, and is officially one of the eight best 400 guys in the country at the age of 20. As for Wariner, he looked strong yesterday, but nearly lost his spot by staring at the television screen to check his position and thinking it was safe to jog in the last ten meters.

As for the finals, barring injury or illness, LaShawn Merritt and Tony McQuay have the top two spots absolutely locked up. The other six runners are pretty much dead even. There's no one whom I would regard as better than Gehret or Wariner, so either one could get in, but it all depends on who has the best race that day. I'd wager that one of the two slips in.

In other events, the 800s have been interesting. Lots of good runners going through, but a few disappointing eliminations. On the women's side, poor Amy Weissenbach, was feeling great and about to kick when two runners fell in front of her forcing her to a dead stop. That brought an end to her amazing high school career (in the heats). In the semi-finals, Laura Roesler came oh, so close, finishing fourth. Both of those two have great futures ahead. Anyway, there are plenty of great runners in the finals--all of them professionals (Laura was the last and best collegian eliminated).

On the men's side, the only disappointing elimination was Cas Loxsom, who has had terrible problems this year. I have no idea what's gone wrong with him. In one interview, he mentioned having low iron. The finals will be stocked with great runners to pull for, including Nick Symmonds, Elijah Greer, Ryan Martin, Tyler Mulder, and Mark Wiezcorek.

The 400 finals are on NBC tonight. The 800 finals are Monday night.