2012 Outdoor Track Season

elispeedster

Mentor
It doesn't really matter what others are doing... Christophe needs to improve on his own race.
The first part of his race is weak. Not just against the Jamaicans, but against normal Europeans.
Even a tall, lanky athlete can have a good start and drive phase.
We can't, and he can't, just believe and accept that 'he's tall, and not on yams, so it can't be done'.
It's not true. And it's too soon to give up on this.

100% Correct. He is being fed by his coaches that he will never be a good starter, he should expect a bronze etc...

He needs power training, traditional strength building. It is very simple. Build a high strength to body weight ratio in the basics first. It will never slow him down as he has a lot of natural speed, as much as Bolt, Gay, Powell etc.

Also, he should stop running 100 -200's meters in training. He should trick the body by running anywhere from 10-50 meter bursts one day, come back the next day and run 300-500 meter runs at 75% speed. Trick the body so it does not adapt and compensates by getting faster and stronger at all levels.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He needs some different style coaching to fix his drive phase program but I will save that for the Lemaitre thread.

I really suprised no one has commented on the russian hurdler. S. Olijars is that last hurdler I can think of that approached the low 13 second mark but he never got to it or dipped under it. Mark Mckoy from Canada was probably the most gifted white high 110 hurdler that I have seen. We need more guys to get down to challenge the american dominance. This is an even to watch with so many young guys to watch out for. At least one of these guys should have a chance to possibly medal in the next 4-8 years.

trackster

Mentor
WL, you're right: that S****nkov time is spectacular (and notice the huge distance between S****nkov and the American in second place), but LeMaitre tends to be the only athlete anyone wants to actually discuss, as we both well know.

As for past hurdlers--I highly recommend you look up monsieur Guy Drut of France. What an amazing athlete. He was dominant in the mid seventies, just a few years before hurdling and sprinting became completely dominated by roiders. There's a really cool documentary of him floating around online, lots of super slow motion, and set to strange jazz music of the seventies. If any of our French readers see this, I'm sure they'll know Drut.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Just heard that the young British sprinter, Adam Gemelli, ran 10.11.
I'm trying to find confirmation.....

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Adam Gemili 10.11 with 1.2 wind in Germany.
He just moved himself up to the #1, next candidate to go sub 10. :thumbsup:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Gemilli wins in 10.08!! (0.8w)
This guy is for real! ......and only 18 yrs old (I think)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot about Guy Drut. Thanks Trackster and your right that some on the board only talk about Lemaitre. He is my favorite track star by far but we have so many other good up and coming white brothers and sisters to root for. Sally M. of Australia is a joy to watch and no on in the world is better. Look at Isbnenyva in the Pole Vault.

As far as for Adam Gemelli. This guy just went to his prom around a week ago and then he comes out and does this! We have another incredible talent on hand here. The kid is just beyond explosive for his age and just about any age. I just want him to keep a calm, clear head and not let the attention get to him. It happened to Shirvo and even Pickering got alot of attention. Some times that can hurt your career. You have to stay hungry. Christophe knows down deep inside that he has accomplished very little. Keep training your ass off Adam and the times will come! I'm so happy to see Gemelli make his name known!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
While there is no doubt that Gemelli stold the show today in Germany, I'm excited about some of the other young german sprinters too.

Julian Reuss ran a new p.b. of 10.27 and the followed it up with a 20.67 in the 200 meters. I told you guys something had to be wrong in his last race because he has been in fine form since the indoor season. He is finally healthy. It was a shame to see Christian Blum get disqualified in the finals of the 100 or he might have ran a fast time too. Another youngster from Germany to closed watch is Felix Gotl who ran a 10.42 and 20.91 today. He is only 22 and will be entered in the European Under 23 Championships. He has so much upside to go and he really has a smooth running style in my opinion. He makes it look easy so there should be alot more to come. Here is the results from the finals today in Germany.

100m, Männer - A-/B-Finale
Datum: 02.06.2012 Beginn: 16:30
A-Finale Wind: +0,8
Rk. StNr. Name Jg. Nat. Verein Leistung

1 274 Gemilli Adam 1993 GBR Great Britain 10.08
2 778 Reus Julian 1988 GER TV Wattenscheid 01 10.27
3 908 Göltl Felix 1990 GER TuS Kriftl 10.42
4 956 Kosenkow Alexander 1977 GER TV Wattenscheid 01 10.43
5 69 Kessler Maximilian 1989 GER SCC Berlin 10.45
6 955 Ernst Sebastian 1984 GER TV Wattenscheid 01 10.48
7 735 Schaf Alex 1987 GER VfB Stuttgart 1893 10.50
765 Blum Christian 1987 GER TV Wattenscheid 01 disq.
IWR 162.7 (Fehlstart)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Blum ran 10.20.
But I saw the race on the live feed, and it was very obvious that he caught a flyer. He was clear of everyone at 5 meters.
I was sure they would call the runners back, but they didn't. And I think the other runners hesitated for a a moment, thinking the race would be called back. So Gemili might have run faster...... on the other hand, the false start gave him Blum to chase for most of the race.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Other news from Geneva:
Simone Collio is still at it, running 10.27 today. He has to be one of the older sprinters out there....
Likourgos Tsakonas of Greece ran 20.52.
Robert Tobin of GBR 45.47

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Don't forget Sebastain Ernst of Germany ran a wind legal 20.59 today. Tobias Unger evern ran a 20.79 which isn't bad considering his age. Ernst just missed a time in the low 20.40's last week in a win but the wind was 2.1 so it didn't count.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another quick note from today in Clermont. Brandom Byram ran a 20.38 in the 200 meters. Very fast time and it's good to see. There are so many track discussion boards that it's hard to keep up with all of the results. Does anyone know if Shane Crawford ran this weekend? Haven't seen any results on him. One thing is for sure. The track season is heating up!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder when JayConn runs next? I have a feeling that he is going to pop off a really fast time in the 100 soon to go with his new p.b. in the 200 from two weeks ago. He is in great shape. The Canadain National Championships should be fun to watch.

A quick update on Jason Smyth. He ran a 10.17 yesterday but with too much wind for it to count. He will next be racing this coming weekend in NY against some really elite competition. If the weather is right, maybe he can get the A Standard for the Olympic Games. I really want to see him represent Ireland at the highest level. Such a great story as he has some serious wheels on him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/18311800

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Olesya Povh of the Ukraine just ran a wind legal 11.08! Finally we have another female sprinter who has a chance to go sub 11! She is a power house and has always been great over 60 meters. I have always said if she could build some speed endurance, she would be a threat outdoors. Her teammate and friend Maria Ryeman has the same potential as well. Hopefully she can break through soon. Come on Olesya. Just one more tenth of a second and you will go sub 11. That will put her in the finals at London which would be a great confidence booster. So we have Povh, Ryeman, LaLova and a few others to root for in London over the 100 meters for the women.

Glad to see Brady Gehret run a 45.29 today at the NCAA Champs to qualify. He is destined to go sub 45 very soon!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A couple of quick results. Sally Pearsno wan the Diamond League Race today in a world leading time of 12.49! She is amazing to watch.

Ukhov jumped 2.37 yesterday! This guy is a machine.

trackster

Mentor
Wow. You guys should have seen Brady Gehret about ten minutes ago. Incredible.

Semifinals of the NCAA 4 by 400 relays. Gehret takes the stick way back, 15 meters or so behind the leaders. Bides his time. Swings wide on the last turn, takes it into lane two, then blows past everyone so quickly that he actually eases up at the end for the victory.

His split time on that leg? 44.22. Unreal. If he can learn to run with that much purpose in an open 400, he could be a dark horse for the Olympic team. Maybe he'll finally uncork a run like that in the NCAA open finals this weekend.

For what it's worth, Penn State, with Nadolsky, Loxsom (45.55 leg) and Gehret, ran the fastest time by any collegiate team this year. 8th fastest by any squad in the world, including country teams.

Arkansas also qualified, and they ran with Niit, Travis Southard, Ben Skidmore, and Neal Braddy. Surprised that they used Southard in the second leg. Depending on the team they use in the final, they could be a threat, too, but Braddy (45.20), good as he is, isn't going to be able to hold off Gehret, Tony Mcquay or some others.

trackster

Mentor
On the women's side, Laura Roesler is on fire. She just ran a 51.76 relay leg that saved Oregon when they looked to be in trouble. Yesterday, she ran a brilliant 2:02.09 800 meters to qualify for the final. In that run, she ran the fastest last 400 of any competitor in any heat.

In other NCAA news, Cam Levins won the 10,000meter in an exciting race, and is a threat to come back and win the 5000m. He's a beast.

Also, the 800 meter semis saw Eric Sowinski run the fastest time in either heat. The final is shaping up to be a barn burner--possibly as epic as last year's legendary Robby Andrews victory.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Wow. You guys should have seen Brady Gehret about ten minutes ago. Incredible.

Semifinals of the NCAA 4 by 400 relays. Gehret takes the stick way back, 15 meters or so behind the leaders. Bides his time. Swings wide on the last turn, takes it into lane two, then blows past everyone so quickly that he actually eases up at the end for the victory.

His split time on that leg? 44.22. Unreal. If he can learn to run with that much purpose in an open 400, he could be a dark horse for the Olympic team. Maybe he'll finally uncork a run like that in the NCAA open finals this weekend.

For what it's worth, Penn State, with Nadolsky, Loxsom (45.55 leg) and Gehret, ran the fastest time by any collegiate team this year. 8th fastest by any squad in the world, including country teams.

Arkansas also qualified, and they ran with Niit, Travis Southard, Ben Skidmore, and Neal Braddy. Surprised that they used Southard in the second leg. Depending on the team they use in the final, they could be a threat, too, but Braddy (45.20), good as he is, isn't going to be able to hold off Gehret, Tony Mcquay or some others.

Just to clarify, Penn State ran 3 whites, and Arkansas ran an all white team. They're both in the finals tomorrow.
Gehret's relay time of 44.22 is amazing, and hopefully is indication of things to come from him.
Unfortunately, however, that race really drained him, and he was more than a second slower in the individual race.
But let's see what his team does in the relay final tomorrow.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Pavel Maslak, the young Czech sprinter, who has been bouncing back and forth between the 200m and 400m, ran 45.17 today in Italy. That's his 2nd national record at the 400m this year. He's only 21.
David Gillick was last in 48.36. I guess he's past it now.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Pavel Maslak, the young Czech sprinter, who has been bouncing back and forth between the 200m and 400m, ran 45.17 today in Italy. That's his 2nd national record at the 400m this year. He's only 21.
David Gillick was last in 48.36. I guess he's past it now.
It's amazing that the Czech national record is relatively slow considering 3 Decathlon champions of recent vintage have been Czech. He is another dark horse who could final in London if he keeps peaking.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
More exciting news from Rytis Sakalauskas. He ran a wind legal 10.15 today which is the 3rd fastest time in Europe so far this summer. Lemaitre, Gemelli and now Sakalauskas. Rytis has been on my close watch list for a few years now. He seems to race around this time once or twice a year. It's time for him to take it to another level. His biggest weakness like Christophe is his start. We need to get some better coaching for some of these kids. I think alot of the ones in Europe still train the old fashioned ways. We need more plyos, hill running, bare foot running, and box jumps. Even weighted sled pulls are effective in helping to increase your explosiveness.

Here is to Rytis going sub 10.10 in his next race and maybe getting close to 10.00 flat before the summer ends. You have to believe before you can acheive. We are pulling for you here at castefootball.

elispeedster

Mentor
More exciting news from Rytis Sakalauskas. He ran a wind legal 10.15 today which is the 3rd fastest time in Europe so far this summer. Lemaitre, Gemelli and now Sakalauskas. Rytis has been on my close watch list for a few years now. He seems to race around this time once or twice a year. It's time for him to take it to another level. His biggest weakness like Christophe is his start. We need to get some better coaching for some of these kids. I think alot of the ones in Europe still train the old fashioned ways. We need more plyos, hill running, bare foot running, and box jumps. Even weighted sled pulls are effective in helping to increase your explosiveness.

Here is to Rytis going sub 10.10 in his next race and maybe getting close to 10.00 flat before the summer ends. You have to believe before you can acheive. We are pulling for you here at castefootball.

European training is old fashioned for sure. IF you ask a European about it, he will say American training is due to steroids etc. When High School kids in the USA can run as fast as Senior European runners, its mostly due to training and the focus in America Athletics is a good solid base of strength to body weight ratio. It is the reason why NFL players have high vertical jumps, and are as fast and even faster in the 1st 30-40 yards as elite sprinters.

Rystis is a good talent and ha potential to dip under 10.10 very easily if he can work on that terrible start.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a quick artile on "Superman" Cam who just won his second national championship as trackster mentioned. This kid is phenomenal.

NCAA track and field: SUU's Levins claims his second national title

Deseret News

Published: Friday, June 8 2012 11:51 p.m. MDT
Summary Cameron Levins' closing speed was on full display for a second night as the Southern Utah University senior distance runner out-kicked the competition over the final 150-meters to finish first in the men's 5,000-meter run on Friday night at the NCAA National Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
l
June 7, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa — Cameron Levins' closing speed was on full display for a second night as the Southern Utah University senior distance runner out-kicked the competition over the final 150-meters to finish first in the men's 5,000-meter run on Friday night at the NCAA National Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

The victory was his second of the week after finishing first in the men's 10,000 on Wednesday night.

Levins looked as though his approached changed from his 10K when he stayed among the leaders throughout that race, this time showing patience and lurking among the last five to six runners. The pace remained between 65 to 67 seconds per lap, allowing Levins to bide his time.

As the laps increased so did the Canadian's position, as he moved up among the top five with three laps to go. Joining him in the lead group were Arizona's Stephen Sambu, second in the men's 10K on Wednesday night, and Lawi Lalang, the 2011 NCAA Cross Country national champion and the 2012 NCAA 3,000- and 5,000-meter champion during the indoor season.

Also in the group were UNC-Greensboro's Paul Chelimo, 13th at the cross country national championships, and Minnesota's Hassan Mead, a seventh-place finisher in the 5K during the indoor season.

Levins moved to the front of the pack on the bell lap and was pushed by Chelimo at the 150-meter mark. The duo broke away from the leaders, but at 75 meters Levins looked as through he threw on the after burners and finished in 13:40.05 for his second national title. Chelimo finished second with a time of 13:41.04 with Lalang (13:42.20), Mead (13:42.53) and Sambu (13:43.76), rounding out the top five.

"I was just aiming to sprint, basically," he said of his final lap of 54.4 seconds. "I was waiting for someone to make a move on me. I didn't do it at 200, and then Paul Chelimo came up on me and I'm like 'Okay, I have to go', you know, he's going to be by me and have the advantage entering the final 100 meters, so I just held him off and gave whatever I could on the final 100 meters."

The 5K/10K double-title hadn't happened since the 2009 season with All-American Galen Rupp did it running for the University of Oregon. Rupp is currently considered one of the top distance runners for the United States and will likely face Levins this summer in London at the 2012 Summer Games.

"To win at any level in any field and then be consistently humble about the success and victories is what true humanity and sportsmanship is all about," said SUU head track and field/cross country coach Eric Hole. "This is what makes a great athlete's legacy endure throughout time."

"To have someone from Southern Utah win a national championships, let alone two national championships, is huge for him and his future, it's huge for the coaching staff and it's huge for the University. This speaks to all athletes in all sports at SUU, that you dreams can come true, you can win a national championship at Southern Utah and it inspires all of us in all arenas to believe in dreams and hard work."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another quick update from Germany.

One of my girlfriends(wishful thinking), Verena Sailer ran a wind legal 11.19 today! A big step in the right direction. She is the defending womens 100 meter European Champion and I hope she makes a run at another title later this month. So beautiful and yet so talented. This woman is the total package and she does great interviews as well. A few other quick results were Sven Knippalls running a 20.53 with only a 0.7 wind! Not bad at all. Sebastian Ernst ran a time of 20.60! Here is a link to the results with most of the competetors being in the under 20 category.

http://live.cktu.de/index.php?ver=120609DEMHG&typ=120