2012 Outdoor Track Season

mastermulti

Master
Both Brady Gehret and Jeremy Wariner made it into the finals tonight at the US Olympic Trials. Jordan Boase probably would have made it three, but he didn't run the semis for some reason.

Anyway, what can you say about Gehret? We've been following him since high school, and the kid (really still a kid) is just amazing. He's been running low 45's consistently now, and is officially one of the eight best 400 guys in the country at the age of 20. As for Wariner, he looked strong yesterday, but nearly lost his spot by staring at the television screen to check his position and thinking it was safe to jog in the last ten meters.

As for the finals, barring injury or illness, LaShawn Merritt and Tony McQuay have the top two spots absolutely locked up. The other six runners are pretty much dead even. There's no one whom I would regard as better than Gehret or Wariner, so either one could get in, but it all depends on who has the best race that day. I'd wager that one of the two slips in.

In other events, the 800s have been interesting. Lots of good runners going through, but a few disappointing eliminations. On the women's side, poor Amy Weissenbach, was feeling great and about to kick when two runners fell in front of her forcing her to a dead stop. That brought an end to her amazing high school career (in the heats). In the semi-finals, Laura Roesler came oh, so close, finishing fourth. Both of those two have great futures ahead. Anyway, there are plenty of great runners in the finals--all of them professionals (Laura was the last and best collegian eliminated).

On the men's side, the only disappointing elimination was Cas Loxsom, who has had terrible problems this year. I have no idea what's gone wrong with him. In one interview, he mentioned having low iron. The finals will be stocked with great runners to pull for, including Nick Symmonds, Elijah Greer, Ryan Martin, Tyler Mulder, and Mark Wiezcorek.

The 400 finals are on NBC tonight. The 800 finals are Monday night.

I thought another disappointment came in the form of Shane Crawford's 11.04 in his 100. What the hell happened to run 11.04? That would have got him a 3rd in the women's final

TrackFan

Banned
Jeremy claimed he was ready for this race, but he and his mom didn't look confident at all. If he can only log a 45.24 in the Trial finals, he's probably done.

He should have enough money saved up to focus on something else.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
to be fair, the TOP black decathletes were pretty well balanced in all disciplines.
Looking historically - Daley Thompson, Dan O'Brien, Bryan Clay were excellent across the range.
The next rung down certainly tend to be speed/jump performers though

None of these black decathletes were more than half-black.
Daley Thompson - half white
Dan O'Brien - half white
Bryan Clay - half Japanese
Ashton Eaton - half white (not sure about his other half)

mastermulti

Master
None of these black decathletes were more than half-black.
Daley Thompson - half white
Dan O'Brien - half white
Bryan Clay - half Japanese
Ashton Eaton - half white (not sure about his other half)

sure, very aware of that - but using the media's terms.............??
and how do they identify?

I've always thought it kind of cool that the very best all round athletes are a huge melting pot of genes from far and wide.

TrackFan

Banned
Milt Campbell, the Decathlon silver medalist in 1952, and gold medalist in 1956, and Rafer Johnson, the silver medalist behind Milt Campbell in '56, and gold medalist in 1960, were both black. Seems like blacks left the sport for more "glamorous", more financially rewarding sports about that time.

Personally, I don't necessarily think decathletes are the best athletes. They simply train at sports that most other people simply aren't interested in pursuing (pole vault, discus, shot put). Most of them played the major sports in high school and simply weren't good enough, or "athletic" enough to excel at any of them. They weren't elite at the individual track & field events either. Being above average at a few of them just convinced them to train at the others.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A few quick thoughts on the weekend performances. First off, I was very happy to see Adam Gemelli make the British Olympic Team. He ran a time of 10.20 with 0 wind in the semi finals. What a performance under pressure. I think it took alot out of him for the finals but there is no shame in finishing a close second in the finals and making the team. What an accomplishment for anyone let alone a 18 year old! He can run times of 10.0x to 10.20 on a consistant basis very soon and that is outstanding.

Very sad to see Wariner not make the U.S. team in the individual event. He went out too fast and like last year had nothing left going into the final 100 meters. I'm glad he has a wife now to try and help to get over this devasting news. He has made us proud for a long time and we should not forget that. Clay and Hardee were both great in their perfomances. I'm suprised at how high Clays score was but he has so much talent. Hardee is a warrior though and he will give Clay and others another good fight in the Olympics.

Kilty didn't look good in the mens 200 at the U.K. Trials. It was the long layoff that hurt his fitness. At least he will be at the Euro Champs and hopefully he can p.b. in the 100 there and help out on the 4 x 100 relay squad. Sam Watts needs to get stronger as he looked like a junior out there. I'm bummed out that Danny Talbot missed out on the olympic team in the 100 by 2/100th of a second. What a dissapointment. He still ran very good and he will have many great years ahead in the future. I can't imagine how sad him and Kilty have to be at the moment. Hang in there guys as well as to Pickering who couldn't even run due to back surgery.

Rooney won the mens 400 at the UK Trials and he really had no competition so the time is not important. Glad to see him do well. Tobin could have run better.

The most exciting part of the UK Olympic Trials is the superstar hurdling duo of Clarke and Pozzi. They both made the team! They both have potential to easily make the semis and very possibly the finals. These guys are amazing to watch. Here is a quick article on them.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/a...rke-respect-no-reputations-book-olympic-slots

white is right

Hall of Famer
I thought another disappointment came in the form of Shane Crawford's 11.04 in his 100. What the hell happened to run 11.04? That would have got him a 3rd in the women's final
He had to have pulled up lame or badly stumbled out of the blocks and pulled up after he realized he wasn't a factor in the race. This season he has a sb of 10.5X, that while slow is still in a different world than 11.0X. I hope he can regroup and give pro racing another year as a 10.1X shows potential for a still young pro. I just don't know if he will if he doesn't have sponsorship and he can only get appearances in true amateur/club meets.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the 100 meters finals race with Gemelli and a interview after. Chambers acted so unprofessional cussing into the camera. No need for that. I really wish guys like him and Gatlin were not allowed to go to the Olympics. What does this show to the young people. So glad to see Gemelli do well under pressure. What a breath of fresh air. Nice to see Robertson make the finals but the lane 1 draw was not ideal. It is still good for his confidence to make the finals. Maybe he can build of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbJ3jVPSKU&feature=related

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I want to add some comments about Patrick Domogala of Germany. He is only 19 and he won the German Junior Championships again tonight for the 2nd year in a row. He ran a 10.39 which may not be blazing but it is a good time. He is very consistant. That is important. He gets faster with each and every year. I expect him to make the finals at the European Under 20 Championships and make a push to possibly win it all. I would be really suprised if he is not at least a medalist but he is more than capable of winning it. He runs both the 100 & 200 meters so he has nice speed endurance although I think he is more cut out for the shorter sprint. I see alot of upside in this kid and I really think that we should keep a close eye on his progression. It's good to see Germany just like England continuing to put out young sprinters.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Milt Campbell, the Decathlon silver medalist in 1952, and gold medalist in 1956, and Rafer Johnson, the silver medalist behind Milt Campbell in '56, and gold medalist in 1960, were both black. Seems like blacks left the sport for more "glamorous", more financially rewarding sports about that time.

Personally, I don't necessarily think decathletes are the best athletes. They simply train at sports that most other people simply aren't interested in pursuing (pole vault, discus, shot put). Most of them played the major sports in high school and simply weren't good enough, or "athletic" enough to excel at any of them. They weren't elite at the individual track & field events either. Being above average at a few of them just convinced them to train at the others.
Yeah thats why the foreign track star that focused on the shot put and discus came to the US to train at SMU only to find that they dropped their track program, they just put him on the football field and he is slated to be a first round pick. Not everyone is interested what you call "major sports", if this kid would have gotten to train in the sport he loved, we would never have heard about him. I am sure he would be a well rounded athlete being that he runs a 4.6 at a huge weight, like 275 pounds with a 36 inch vertical to go along with that.

Being an considered the best all around athlete should involve more than a few traits. Who cares if you can only run fast in a straight line? Trindon Holliday and Jeff Demps can but not much success for world class speed on the football field, Holliday is struggling to stay in the NFL and Demps didn't even try. Whites have more stamina and overall athleticism which is why we excel at these events, and why we excel at football. Ever noticed the saying in football "keep the offense on the field so the defense doesn't get tired", shouldn't the offense get tired as well? with those huge lineman running around? not as much, usually a majority White line, maybe a White TE or two, White qb etc, wide receivers usually black and the ones that aren't the primary receiver take the plays off. They even rotate runningbacks out, even the greats like Peterson come out on 3rd down so they don't have to pass block or run a few extra routes when they are the 5th read. Meanwhile, most defenses are coal black, gasping for oxygen being rotated in and out every series.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yeah thats why the foreign track star that focused on the shot put and discus came to the US to train at SMU only to find that they dropped their track program, they just put him on the football field and he is slated to be a first round pick. Not everyone is interested what you call "major sports", if this kid would have gotten to train in the sport he loved, we would never have heard about him. I am sure he would be a well rounded athlete being that he runs a 4.6 at a huge weight, like 275 pounds with a 36 inch vertical to go along with that.

Being an considered the best all around athlete should involve more than a few traits. Who cares if you can only run fast in a straight line? Trindon Holliday and Jeff Demps can but not much success for world class speed on the football field, Holliday is struggling to stay in the NFL and Demps didn't even try. Whites have more stamina and overall athleticism which is why we excel at these events, and why we excel at football. Ever noticed the saying in football "keep the offense on the field so the defense doesn't get tired", shouldn't the offense get tired as well? with those huge lineman running around? not as much, usually a majority White line, maybe a White TE or two, White qb etc, wide receivers usually black and the ones that aren't the primary receiver take the plays off. They even rotate runningbacks out, even the greats like Peterson come out on 3rd down so they don't have to pass block or run a few extra routes when they are the 5th read. Meanwhile, most defenses are coal black, gasping for oxygen being rotated in and out every series.
Many decathletes are elite at the high school level, but any good coach can tell that they don't have the body type to be elite at the world class level so many get switched over when they enter college or when they join top amateur track clubs. With that quite a few are fringe world class at their specialty event in the decathlon.

trackster

Mentor
Trials report:

Nick Symmonds won the 800, making it look easy while posting a fantastic sub 1:44 time. He's a legitimate medal threat now. On the other hand, I was very disappointed that none of our your college boys made it and instead the last two spots went two veteran professionals (Khadevis Robinson and Duane Solomon). Ryan Martin finished fourth. Elijah Greer also ran well, but he had a lot of injuries earlier in the year and wasn't fit enough to pull it off. Anyway, the 800 favors more mature runners with greater endurance, so our future looks very bright, with Martin, Greer, Loxsom, Andrews, etc. Andrews, by the way, inexplicably decided to run only the 1500 in the trials, even though it's a new event for him. He would have easily made the team in my opinion.

As for the 400, Wariner is over. He looks bulkier and softer than in his whippet-lean days of greatness, and he had nothing in the finals. The truth is, the 400 is a young man's sport, traditionally dominated by younger runners than any other event. Only briefly, during the heyday of heavy-duty roiding (think Michael Johnson) were older runners competitive. In the meanwhile, poor Brady Gehret got the worst lane (8) and, not seeing his competitors, took it out too hard. He was actually leading the race towards the end of the second turn. But he had burned himself out, and he couldn't move in the final 100, fading badly.

At any rate, you can mourn Wariner, but don't be dismayed about Gehret. If you watched the race closely, you know he belongs at that level, and he'll have a future. Same goes for the young guns in the 800.

greyghost

Mentor

roger black..thomas schonlebe ..kevin little.. ..but then again u may have point trackster:smile:...harald schmidt.....ahh hey dont make ,em like they use to:wink:....

harold

Guru
if only trey hardee had the peds available to him as ashton eaton
and we would be talking about him
no doubt in my mind that is an aided record .
the usual, if looks to good to be true usually is .
especially for the 1500m where alot of points can be made up
that is how sebrle got over 9000 points ,
an indication that maybe was aided by epo and during that era.
for 1500m here trey lost 330 points to eaton ,that is a masive amount

lots of room for improvement ,was heavy rain for 400m
and more strength to come with muscle maturation and
technique in throwing events
his progression is too good to be true .!!!
could eventually break record by 200-300, points
if keeps getting faster or regardless ,has no major weak events now ,.
then more people will start to question if performances aided.

the more faster the decathlete ,ususally their
1500m will suffer somewhat ,but not here ,something is up
big difference between being a decathlete that runs aroung 10.60-11 secs for
100m and not to muscle-laden ,usually afew that can run fast 1500m
like curtis beach who in himself is rarity for how fast can run 1500m
time will tell if curtis gets same help and reach level as eaton.
but if running 10.20 secs for 100m big difference in muscle naturally
which see in all previous decathletes until the now .
ususally some common ground or balance between their speed ,strength and 1500m
as these change through career and with age .

speed and strength type athletes like o,brien and daley thompson were during the
basic steroid era when not tested well
had the strength , speed but still had slower 1500m especially o'brien like hardee and clay
regardless of if could put all events together on same day
is generally why never broke 9000 points .

again up until now .
as for sprinting the rules have changed abit .
eaton is a heavily manufactured athlete that lucky to
be born at same time as start of sarms era.
which explains where gets alot of speed from
and steady progression.
and endurance for 1500m is aided and help 400m and
keep energy up throughout 2 days
so more likely to perform well in most events
.see this with several decathletes from mid 1990's
to mid 2000 that helped 1500m and 400m later
in career,so common for them to take epo
and realise its importance in event
to get those big guns around track at end .

difference is the sarms once again ,.

all in all

sarms + new endurance drugs = multiple w.r and w.r never seen before .

Last edited:

foobar75

Master
Congrats to Galen Rupp today for winning the men's 5000m, beating mercenaries Lagat and Lomong in the process. It'll be very difficult for him to get a medal in London against the East Africans who dominate this event, but you never know.

harold

Guru
of 3 most manufacturacted and totally dominant athletes at moment .
totally prefer eaton over rudisha and bolt anyday .

harold

Guru
cheers for news , great way to start the day.

very little for me to cheer for in athletics nowadays
nearly given up on it .

mastermulti

Master
if only trey hardee had the peds available to him as ashton eaton
and we would be talking about him
no doubt in my mind that is an aided record .
the usual, if looks to good to be true usually is .
especially for the 1500m where alot of points can be made up
that is how sebrle got over 9000 points ,
an indication that maybe was aided by epo and during that era.
for 1500m here trey lost 330 points to eaton ,that is a masive amount
etc.

lots of testing done now so how about you give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt till/if he's caught for anything.

Sheesh, the newbies who want to make this a forum guided by the notion
great black athletes = PEDs
great white athletes = clean, honest and hard working

Eaton may be just the best we've ever seen as is the case with Bolt. , for one, still believe there can be natural advantages in being born of west african sub saharan stock. No problem admitting it and not bitter because of it.
At least be decent enough to give the presumption of innocent till proven otherwise

l

harold

Guru
first i just said
that the czech athletes were aided,
and i think they are ,yes, they are european .

and secondly i aint a newbie ,got banned and choose
not to post much ,only when highly annoyed and need to
complain about how disgusting many aspects of sport and
society have become and where better to do than said site .

harold

Guru
Again firstly you need to wake up for your own sake and the sake of your own kind ,
only excuse could be youth , and again in best place to learn and see the world for what
it really is and that includes athletics .

testing ,you must be joking , wadas very existance depends on new peds and techniques,
end of story .

sick of hearing that bolt is natural and , genetic freak, etc ,and this is on this site.
yes he might be best at moment but definitely totally aided and can easily be
replaced by some european in 10/20 years in another new era of sprinting
just like eaton will be replaced .
you been aussie ,would gladly like to know that the squeaky clean sally pearson
has very much to thank her performances largely on the exsistance of sarms .
how well do you follow athletics cause a statistician could tell you that something
is up in male sprinting and it is not the blue blue sky .

they will even get athlete on them early as can then disguish rapid progression as just
being young and growing to maturation
this been the case with bolt and with endurance ped for rudisha ,or
in some cases where cant disguish progression ,dont care like ,older sprinters .
the fact is that need to start athletes on sarms young anyway like lemaitre. for maximum
gains .

and with other previous peds, might not hear about them in public for afew decades later ..
doesnt mean dont exsist .

there are natural advantages to be born of european heritage and intelligence been one of them along with all the other societal factors that exsist there and in west that
helped to develope such things as sarms and spawn this athletic myth that is bolt.

bolt would more than lightly be injured all the time due to being tall and stress of sprinting on body or burned out by now without ped help.

could eaily change the rules and use whatever ped want and could well replicate and
replace bolt with european in no time
.the fact being that some people dont follow rules anyway .

trackster

Mentor
Foobar--I'm glad to see someone at least noticed what Galen Rupp accomplished last night. Sheesh, if some of the rest of you guys could stop writing about the windspeed/temperature/presumed weightlifting stats of LeMaitre, or whether or not Eaton is clean (fwiw, his mom is a blonde haired Oregonian and allegedly his dad is Puerto Rican), you would have seen a performance last night to get you on your feet, pumping your fist and smiling.

Galen Rupp is the 23-yr-old present and future of US distance running. He has attracted more haters than any other athlete in the sport, and is widely ridiculed because he has bad allergies and has had to run early spring races with a pollen mask. People say he's too skinny, yada yada. But the kid is tough. And fast. He's broken the two great barriers--27 in the 10k and 13 in the 5k. I'm pretty sure no other American in history has done that--include the former drug cheat and Kenyan Olympian Bernard Lagat.

Earlier in the week, Rupp easily won the 10k US championship, smiling and waving in the home stretch. Last night, however, was the PREMIER event of the trials, the 5K, which was expected to be brutally competitive. Virtually no one thought Rupp could beat the two Africans, Lopez Lomong and Lagat. The media have worshiped those two for years. Lomong, a Sudanian, even got to carry the US flag in the Olympics last time. Networks never tire of repeating the story of how he immigrated. Announcers fawn over the Kenyan Lagat constantly, too. Rupp is just some skinny blonde kid they don't find interesting.

The networks put cameras on Lagat's family the entire race to catch their reactions to his expected victory.

But last night, the skinny "wimpy" kid tore through the last lap at a fantastic pace. With maybe 75m to go, Lagat, face contorted with effort, put on his legendary final burst and passed Rupp. The race was supposed to be over. Rupp decided it wasn't. He found yet one more gear, caught up and passed Lagat for the championship. It was brilliant.

Oh, and Lopez Lomong, who is about 10,000 times more likely to carry the flag again than Rupp ever is, wasn't even remotely close.

By the way, the youngster, Evan Jager won the 3k steeplechase championship. It was only the fourth time he has ever run the event. His natural talent is just phenomenal.

I haven't found a full video of Rupp's 5k, but here is an edited version (that cuts out some of the nailbiting tension, in my opinion):
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/tr...tml?cid=rss&utm_source=web&utm_medium=twitter

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I saw Rupp's race, and he was amazing. And amazingly tough to come back on Lagat after being passed.
Lagat is a premier kicker, but Rupp ran him down.
Very very impressive performance within an impressive performance.
Let's hope he starts to get the respect and attention he deserves.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I posted an article about Galen Rupp before the U.S. Olympic Trials. I am a big fan and a huge beliver. Anyone that is not on this train better get on quick. The kid broke Steve Prefontaines Olympic Trials 5000 meter Record! That is destiny right there similar to what the announcers said. He is going to make a serious run at a medal in London but barring injury, I guarantee he will be on the medal stand in 2016. What a race. Way to go Rupp!

mastermulti

Master
Again firstly you need to wake up for your own sake and the sake of your own kind ,
only excuse could be youth , and again in best place to learn and see the world for what
it really is and that includes athletics .

testing ,you must be joking , wadas very existance depends on new peds and techniques,
end of story .

sick of hearing that bolt is natural and , genetic freak, etc ,and this is on this site.
yes he might be best at moment but definitely totally aided and can easily be
replaced by some european in 10/20 years in another new era of sprinting
just like eaton will be replaced .
you been aussie ,would gladly like to know that the squeaky clean sally pearson
has very much to thank her performances largely on the exsistance of sarms .
how well do you follow athletics cause a statistician could tell you that something
is up in male sprinting and it is not the blue blue sky .

they will even get athlete on them early as can then disguish rapid progression as just
being young and growing to maturation
this been the case with bolt and with endurance ped for rudisha ,or
in some cases where cant disguish progression ,dont care like ,older sprinters .
the fact is that need to start athletes on sarms young anyway like lemaitre. for maximum
gains .

and with other previous peds, might not hear about them in public for afew decades later ..
doesnt mean dont exsist .

there are natural advantages to be born of european heritage and intelligence been one of them along with all the other societal factors that exsist there and in west that
helped to develope such things as sarms and spawn this athletic myth that is bolt.

bolt would more than lightly be injured all the time due to being tall and stress of sprinting on body or burned out by now without ped help.

could eaily change the rules and use whatever ped want and could well replicate and
replace bolt with european in no time
.the fact being that some people dont follow rules anyway .

WTF............ if you'd slow down a bit and take the trouble to punctuate and structure your sentences I'd be willing to read them. Right now you just sound manic.

"could eaily change the rules and use whatever ped want and could well replicate and

replace bolt with european in no time "

Utter Bullsh*t ... you're being dillusional

Did you mean Sally Pearson is on stuff?

If Eaton is - if if if.

Besides, there is a thread for PEDs and black athletes (which I've never read) if you want to prolong these boring innuendos and accusations.
And why don't "white" male sprinters use this new breed of drugs to enhance their performances? Perhaps they do but still fall short?
Conspiracy theories are such a negative blot on what can be such an interesting topic, a fascinating sport.
Negative comments just indicate the state of the inner man and do nothing whatsoever except foster discontent.
We're here to celebrate the great and the up and coming white athletes - a total positive.

Yes, I may be young (nearly 7 and a half ) .......... but I have been watching things in the athletic world unfold since the early 70s and taping the big meets for later analysis since the 1980 Moscow games.

Last edited: