White Runningbacks Lead The Way

Rock&Roll

I guess he would not have too, however that seems to be the standard for a D1 program. As I mentioned I am no expert on evaluating HStalent going to the next level. After watching this kids video I was impressed. Not too many videos out there of kids running between the tackles as frequent and with the success this kid has. Honestly I do not know what the cut-off is regarding speed in the 40yd dash for a D1 prospect. This kid evidently runs a 4.6 40yd dash.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The cut off for black RBs seems to be about 4.8 if they are a powerback for FBS football. Yvenson Bernard ran for over 1,000 yards in the Pac-10 and ran a 4.83 at the NFL combine. Kahlil Bell ran a 4.76 at the NFL combine and got carries for the Bears last year. Gartrell Johnson ran a 4.76 and got a small number of carries last year. Le'ron McClain ran a 4.88 at the combine a couple years back and ran for almost 1,000 yards for the Ravens as a FB during the '08-'09 season. Shonn Greene played well for the Jets last year and ran a 4.65-4.68 electronic at the combine. Mike Hart ran a 4.67 at a shade under 5'9 at the 2008 combine. Jairus Byrd ran a 4.67 at his Pro Day (Pro Day's usually time better than the combine) and was a 2nd round draft pick by the Chiefs- and he's a CB which is supposed to be the fastest position in football.

It depends on how the kid runs. If he just runs straight ahead and pushes the pile, he's probably a FB or MLB. If he picks and slides and then hits the seam and bowls over tacklers trying to get a "clean" shot at him he could be a great Powerback.

BTW, welcome to the site and thanks for the info on these guys!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
[TUBE]1u1n-uv8xI0[/TUBE]

Here is the YouTube highlight video for Kyle Brunson. If he's a Fullback, then I'm a bucket of sardines. Kid's got great burst, and excellent lateral moves to break into the secondary. Good power as well.

Rock&Roll

Thanks for the analysis FootBallDad and the link. Has anyone had a chance to check out the QB Starling? Did you find this video on youtube or gridironstuds? I cannot find this video of Brunson on youtube.I am from the midwest and these two whitestuds are the best athletes in this neck of the woods. Bothare 3star sportathletes in HS Brunson (football, baseball,wrestling stateqx) Starling (football,baseball,basketball). I believe Starling has pro baseball teams looking at him, he pitches in theupper 90's with a bat to match. Why is this kid Brunson not listed in any recruitment web pages, espn,rivals,scout? The only place this kid is to be found is maxpreps and gridironstuds. There are other black RB's class of 2011 in this area who are being heavily recruited. And none of them are even in the same league as Brunson.
I was not sure regarding thisRB Brunsonafter watching some of thevideosof RB'son this forum. That is why I was not certain as to what he may play at the collegiate level. Some of these kids on this forumare freaks of nature, with videos of every run of 50+yards weaving east and west to the endzone.Thisforumhas a collection of superior athletes which makes me proud.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

jcolt25

joe coltons statz in D1: rushed for (1600 yards) and 21 touchdowns, team was the division 1 superbowl over everett

StarWars

Mentor
jcolt25 said:
colton 1600 yards rushing and 21 rushing touchdowns leading d1 in ma, superbowl win over everett

Ya he's a junior from Xaverian. If he is anything like Connor Ressell then he'd make a great D1 back. In the 55 Joe Colton runs about 7.00, putting his 40 somewhere in the low 4.7s to high 4.6s. He's wripped and gigantic, too. But I haven't actually seen him play, other than at track.
I doubt Colton getes the credit he deserves though because there were even bigger and faster backs named Ewanowski and Horan for BC High last year when the won the Superbowl and both could be starting HBs at a lot of D1 schools, but they aren't...

hawkeye

Guru
Brian Dowling- from Wayne, New Jersey is 5'11 185 and runs a 4.5 forty. He had 1,086 yards on 155 carries and 19 tds last year. He has interest from Penn State and Rutgers.

Logan Lauters- also looks like a good prospect he is from Wisconsin. Lauters is 5'9 195 and runs a 4.5 forty he had 1,436 yards on 175 carries for 8.2 avg and 24 tds

Evan Cambell is 5'7 185 and runs a 4.5 forty. He is an all purpose back but has medium interest from Oklahoma state, Kansas, Nebraska and several other schools.

hawkeye

Guru
Another guy who looks like a good running back prospect but will be a fullback at the next level is Trevon Pendleton. Pendletonis out ofWest Portland, ohio he is 5'11 230 and runs a 4.62 forty he rushed for 1,471 yards 10.2 ypc and had 20 tds on defense he had 96 tackles 25 tfl and 8 sacks.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Nice shuttle time for Pendleton. His lateral agility difference is 0.43- which likely indicates he loses very little speed when cutting. With this kind of cutting ability and quickness- his average 40 time (for an FBS RB) will hold up. 10.2 YPC is awesome! I'll try to find film of him so I'll know for sure that he is more of an FBS RB than FB. Up yours White Rivals.com!

Riddlewire

Master
Minor update:

First of all, I've discovered a slight error with the list (not my fault). Many months after the fact, new information revealed that Mitch Breen is the player who led the state of South Dakota in rushing (2,075yds, 29TDs), not Jayd Knodell. Breen is also white, however, so the end result is the same. Breen has committed to play football for the University of Sioux Falls, back to back NAIA National Champions. Even better news is that USF is already in the process of moving up to Division II (jumping over D3). So Breen should finish his career at a full DII school.

Updates for state leaders:
Rees MacShara has committed to play football for Morehead State University (non-scholarship).
Ricky Buckler has commited to play football for Cumberland College.
Coulter Mastenbroek has committed to play football for Western Oregon University. Mastenbroek's case is particularly disappointing because he's a nine-time state track champion, including winning the 100m, 200m, 400m, and 300h his senior year. Still not enough to attract attention from a D1A school, though.

I'm still working on the other state leaders. Might take years to figure out that they ended up at Eastern Idaho Bible College, etc.

flexbone

This is the most fascinating topic for me.

The rumor out there on Logan Lauters is that he is a little off the radar right now because he had an injury in track season that didnt allow him to participate in camps this summer.

Also from last season Steve Lichtfuss from Appleton North had over 4,400 yards in two seasons, playing on one of the state's best teams. He got NO division one interest and actually ended up playing baseball at UW-WhitewaterEdited by: flexbone

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
flexbone are you another wisconsin guy??!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
once again, it's likely that the best tailback in the state of Arkansas is a White athlete who has not yet received a single Division One scholarship offer ...
smiley7.gif

even thoughi'm stuck at the house tonight and unable to attend this evening's game, i've had the opportunity to watch Steven Kehner, of Glen Rose High School, play the past two weeks. enteringtonight's game, Kehner has already surpassed 1,400 yards on the season in just 7 games. yes, your math is correct. he's averaging over 200 yards-per-game. just to let you know how impressive those numbers are, he's not playing much in the second half.
smiley2.gif

i am going to share acouple of postgame reports thati provided to Riddlewire after watching each of the last two games that Kehner has played for Glen Rose. please enjoy.
smiley4.gif

belowis the recap of Glen Rose vs. Bismarck, a team who isn't very good
Kehner looked very, very fast and shifty, and appeared to be about 5-9, 185 or thereabouts (which is larger than the "scouting" sites list him).

he touched the ball 5 times in the 1st Quarter and scored 4 touchdowns. i'm not sure what his official numbers were because he had some big runs called back due to penalties, but he had 5 total touchdowns for the game on just 10 touches of the ball (perhaps 11, depending on how the official stats interpreted some of the penalties), and didn't step foot on the field in the second half.

in the 1st Quarter alone (on just 5 touches!), he scored on rushes from 2 yards, 84 yards, and 5 yards and scored on a 55-yard punt return.

one of the called-back runs in the 2nd quarter was a thing of true beauty. he started on a sweep to the left sideline, was forced to cutback and sliced all the way back to the right sideline before he juked through the defense all the way back to the left sideline. en route, he shook 8 defenders who got at least at hand on him. it was an amazing 64-yard run ... but a holding penalty nowhere near the action nullified a big part of it, including the score.

oh, and the last two plays of the first half were both impressive. on the next-to-last play, he took the handoff up the middle, juked two defenders in the hole almost off their feet before sprinting to daylight and jogging backwards into the endzone from 21 yards out ... only to have it nullified by a holding penalty. with the ball moved back 10 yards and only a couple of seconds left on the clock there was nothing to fear, asKehner took the next play off of right tackle and sprinted untouched around the edge for a 31-yard score.

belowis the recap of the Glen Rose vs. (heavily favored) Fountain Lake (defending 3A State Champions) game.

... as for Kehner, that is a far, far different tale. that cat is MUCH better than he's given credit for, regardless of how much praise he receives.

he's probably the best tailback in the state of Arkansas,but as of yet, i've heard/seen very little to make me think anyone that matters is even aware of him.

as i usually do when watching a prospective talent, i took notes at the game so my numbers should be very close to the official tallies. he ran the ball 23 times for 295 yards and 6 touchdowns. he scored (in order) from 51, from 15, from 5, from 4, from 45, and on the very next drive(in fact, the very next play) when they needed to put the game away he scored on the first play from scrimmage... from 71 yards out. Fountain Lake did all they could to keep the ball away from him in the kicking game, and he only had one return (for 20 yards).

i could go into detail about some of his runs, but suffice it to say the kid has moves that leave your mouth wide open and leaves defenders literally sprawled wide-legged on their backs on the field. yes, even on the sure footing of the new astro-turf at Fountain Lake. he's damn good.

he's got everything you could want in a 5-9, 185-pound back: the vision, the patience to set up blockers, the wiggle we hear so much about, and he runs both through arm tackles and between the tackles, unlike so many speed backs at this level. he has an extra gear that is impressive, but even more impressive to me is how quick he gets to that gear. his acceleration takes your breath away. he's even got a bit of a mean streak, which opposing fans/players hate and denounce him for. he's "arrogant," you see. in reality, he's got the total package ... except for the requisite black skin, of course ...

what's "funny" is how many of the idiot White fans who see him insist that he's too small. when i point out that he's bigger than many of the black Razorbacks they cheer for on Saturdays, they are dumbfounded and say, "Really?"

the willing stupidity of our White kindred is nigh limitless, i suppose.

Kehner has already surpassed 5,000 career yards and is rapidly climbing the all-time rushing lists in the state. with his team 7-0, he's got a chance to make a playoff run which should see him soar up the Top 10 historical list. with his incredible production on a team that hasn't been any good at all until this year, and with his 4.4 speed, you'd think teams would be falling all over themselves trying to get him to commit. but alas, no one with the power to make it happen seems to even know this kids name.
smiley5.gif

here's a photo of Kehner. he just has the look ... except for the skin tone, i mean.
smiley2.gif

flexbone

Riddlewire

Master
flexbone,

What do you know about Dillon Bean from Westby? I've been too busy to try to look up his performances this year. I know Westby lost most of their O-line to graduation. I'd like to know if they managed to put something together this season. Bean has a good combination of strength and speed. He ought to be getting some recruiting attention.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
before Riddlewire mentioned him, i'd never heard of Dillon Bean. below is his highlight video from 2009. enjoy.

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zmmwu-OpU[/tube]

i swear, Riddlewire is an encyclopediafor bad ass high school talent.
smiley20.gif

Hey JC, when people say that Stephen Kehner is "too small'(wink wink) toplay RB at the D1 level,tell em about this guy (5'6" 153 lbs afflete, D1 RB prospect), then this one (5'7" 153 lbs afflete, 4 STAR D1 RB prospect)....I can keep going...

By the way--this is a must see...this one kid is, are you ready for this one, 5' 4" tall,weighs 145 lbs,runs a 4.85 40 (data verified), and is getting looks from FSU, Illinois, South Carolina, etc at the WR position, I kid you not!!! Danny Woodhead was "too small"to get a D1 scholarship, but this kid isnt?! Crazyness I tell you. See for yourself!!!

Riddlewire

Master
Since this is the right thread for it, I figure I should mention that Max Delorenzo has accepted a scholarship to play football for UCONN. Max led the state of Connecticut in rushing last year, as noted previously in this thread. I'm not sure how he has performed this season. But it's good to know that he's going to have an opportunity to compete at a D1A school (in a BCS conference even). He's a big guy (6', 200lbs) so he might get "race slotted", but it's more of a chance than most of our guys get.
Here is a slightly newer highlight clip than the one posted previously in this thread.