insult. These "highlights" are not based on merit, but affirmative
action.

Rumbelin, bumbelin, stumbelin is racially qualified to describe how a
white runs in the NFL. Or using atomatopia (sp?) in white running
situations are as well.

onomatopaeia(just had an English test with that word
smiley2.gif
)

In anycase, I did see sunday night highlights of the NFL this past weekend. Chris Berman used a lot of onomatopaeia to describe Steven Jackson's late TD run against the Seahawks.

In fact, Burman uses that a whole lot to describe many athletes runs, not just those of blacks or specifically whites.

Once in my 4th high school game last year, I was described by two cameramen in the same way(rumblein, bumblein stumblein) when I carried the ball. I happen to be black...

Then again, I'm in high school and that was last year.

But in any case, while I don't deny that racial stereotyping and profiling exists in some form pertaining to athletics, I do not think it's all quite as simple or limited as you've put it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, sometimes blacks get described that way, but it is disproportionately applied to whites. I never said every commercial is like that, but many commercials, TV shows, and movies have very unmanly white men in them. If that isn't the case in one, it usually involves some multicultural liberal. Whites influencing the plot has nothing to do with it, because they are set up as being dopes, weak, or lazy. My opinion is that a media portrayal can be pro-white without putting whites in a superior position over blacks or any other race. For instance, a commercial that has a white family doing things together in it would be great, and those do exist, but they are increasingly rare. How good an actor is has nothing to do with it. It may be hard for you, a 15 year old, to understand how influential the media is, but it affects us all in ways we don't even realize.

C Darwin

Mentor
Futuregohan30 said:
I do not think it's all quite as simple or limited as you've put it.
I agree. However when you qualify the sounds of Berman's descriptions, the white will most likely have a crash, bang, boom-ish tone. The black will have a zip, zoom, vroom- ish tone.

If you normally don't pay attention to this stuff I can see where the claims of CF might seem absurd. ESPN does a great job of being subtle. Don't let your television sing you a lullaby. (Personification
smiley2.gif
)

lumsdenpower

Mentor
One commercial make me smile..
Two person in a car..The white drive and the black is the passager..So we heard the police and the white said he stole the car...If that was the black who drive..every f**king wigger and ****** will say that racism..

G

Colonel_Reb said:
My opinion is that a media portrayal can be pro-white without putting whites in a superior position over blacks or any other race. For instance, a commercial that has a white family doing things together in it would be great, and those do exist, but they are increasingly rare.

But you're saying that it is anti white to show any commercial that puts a white in a situation that is not advantageous. Any commercial showing white people absolutely must not have a white person in any situation that is disadvantageous. That role should be reserved for other races. Whites should never have to portray dopey or lazy, or ordinary clueless people, as that would be anti white.

You are saying that only minorities should play these roles, and that depicting whites in these roles is somehow racist and unrealistic as whites are "the baddest mothers on the planet", and thus should never portray such characters...correct?

Again, Socratic method: just inquiring.

Colonel_Reb said:
How good an actor is has nothing to do with it. It may be hard for you, a 15 year old, to understand how influential the media is, but it affects us all in ways we don't even realize.

I know how influential the media is, trust me.

However, what we are disagreeing on is how the media is so far influencing us, and our perceptions as to how the influences are shown. As you have seen already, I agree that the media has much influence on society. We are simply at odds as to HOW it influences society in general.
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
But you're saying that it is anti white to show any commercial that puts a white in a situation that is not advantageous.
no. he's saying that every commercial seems to show whites in a disparaging manner, and that becomes more than tiresome.
You are saying that only minorities should play these roles...
again, no. only white people play these roles; blacks never do. don't believe it? check out any home security commercial... the criminal is always a white guy. any commercial with an office scene... the bumbling idiot is a white guy. any TV show with domestic violence... the abusive father is always a white guy.

in fact, a study was done a while back about the show Law&Order, looking at the people portrayed as criminals. it found that there were more white murderers in one season of the show than there were in a whole year in the city where the show takes place. in fact, a lot of the plotlines are loosely based on real events, and even then when the criminals are black they are still portrayed as white on the show.

THAT is what he's talking about. it becomes more than ridiculous. it becomes racial propaganda that denigrates white males.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Futuregohan, you are misinterpreting and adding your own ideas to my words, and then using them in the form of a question. If you can't accept what I say at face value without trying to make me into someone you can use for your own reasons, then just say so. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

It seems you are ignoring the answers I gave you and are asking basically the same questions again. My answers are still the same.

The thing we disagree on, rather that how the media influences society, is the extent of the media's influence on people, as evidenced by your posts.

You said earlier that you "might have been missing something." I think your perspective allows you to miss a lot of things like that. Jimmy Chitwood is right, it happens almost all the time. If you can't see it, then there is nothing I can do about it. You'll have to start paying more attention to it while thinking about it from our perspective.

G

Jimmy Chitwood said:
no. he's saying that every commercial seems to show whites in a disparaging manner, and that becomes more than tiresome.

Every single one?

Jimmy Chitwood said:
again, no. only white people play these roles; blacks never do. don't believe it? check out any home security commercial... the criminal is always a white guy. any commercial with an office scene... the bumbling idiot is a white guy. any TV show with domestic violence... the abusive father is always a white guy.

Well, are you also saying that blacks should also figure in these commercials more?
I have seen the types of commercials you're talking about. However, in what seems to be the majority of those cases, all of the characters are white.
I am sure there are some commercials which do in fact feature non whites withing them, but it does not appear that most of them do.

So, what is the case when all of the actors in the commercial are white, but a couple of them are portrayed as clueless or silly?

And btw, are you sure you have never sen a black person or a latino or asian portrayed in a disadvantageous or clueless position in a commercial?
I know for sure I've seen that a least a few times before.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
in fact, a study was done a while back about the show Law&Order, looking at the people portrayed as criminals. it found that there were more white murderers in one season of the show than there were in a whole year in the city where the show takes place. in fact, a lot of the plotlines are loosely based on real events, and even then when the criminals are black they are still portrayed as white on the show.

Thank you for actually providing a specific example of what you were speaking of. I do not doubt that, if only because AL Sharpton would probably be on the producer in a second were they to show nothing but blacks and Latinos.

I simply don't believe that to be the case in every single event though.Edited by: Futuregohan30

G

Colonel_Reb said:
Futuregohan, you are misinterpreting and adding your own ideas to my words, and then using them in the form of a question. If you can't accept what I say at face value without trying to make me into someone you can use for your own reasons, then just say so. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

No, that isn't what I'm doing. I'm simply looking at what you're saying, attempting to interpret it, and then asking your opinion of my interpretation.

It's called the Socratic Method, just my own attempt at it.

What you've said so far is simply questionable to me, so I simply ask a question, and as you answer, I analyze and continue to pose another question from there.
It's not just a common method of debate, but it's also a proven one.

Colonel_Reb said:
It seems you are ignoring the answers I gave you and are asking basically the same questions again. My answers are still the same.

That's exactly the problem.

I've not ignored any of the answers you gave me. i've taken them, and countered them directly with my own questioning.

For example, in a previous post, you said: "My opinion is that a media portrayal can be pro-white without putting whites in a superior position over blacks or any other race. For instance, a commercial that has a white family doing things together in it would be great, and those do exist, but they are increasingly rare."

Alright, that's great. But I pose this question:
" Any commercial showing white people absolutely must not have a white person in any situation that is disadvantageous. That role should be reserved for other races. Whites should never have to portray dopey or lazy, or ordinary clueless people, as that would be anti white.

You are saying that only minorities should play these roles, and that depicting whites in these roles is somehow racist and unrealistic as whites are "the baddest mothers on the planet", and thus should never portray such characters...correct?"

If your argument is rock solid(which it might be, we do not know), you shouldn't have a problem really answering as to whether or not I am right. So: do you believe that it is anti white to put a white in any position that is disadvantageous?
It's great about the white family and all. But what happens in other commercial with different plots? Should they show any white in a disadvantageous position?

Simply putting forth the same answer every time in face of such a question does not really do much for your argument, at least not in this particular case.

And I'll also pose you one more question: what happens if all of the actors in a commercial are white(as is most often the case)? What happens if one of them must portray a clueless or dopey guy?

Is such a situation only considered anti white when there is a non white in a more advantageous position present? Because if that were the case, then these commercials would certainly not be the majority of all commercials(given the fact that non whites are not universally portrayed in every single commecial).

Colonel_Reb said:
The thing we disagree on, rather that how the media influences society, is the extent of the media's influence on people, as evidenced by your posts.

You said earlier that you "might have been missing something." I think your perspective allows you to miss a lot of things like that. Jimmy Chitwood is right, it happens almost all the time. If you can't see it, then there is nothing I can do about it. You'll have to start paying more attention to it while thinking about it from our perspective.

I suppose I can attempt to.

Until then, however, I can still ask questions pertaining to your theory using my own interpretations and my own experience. I'm a teenager, I know that we watch at least as much TV as you guys do
smiley2.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Yes, whites can be portrayed positively or negatively. The media bias however, invariably comes into play when whites are seen with blacks or asians.In multi - racial commercials, the white man plays the fool, dork, slob,geek, criminalor dummy, the black and asian are the geniuses. The ONLY situation in which a black can be represented as an idiot is when he is coupled with a white man who is a greater dimwit. In other words, you may see two white guys as Dumb and Dumber or a white actor and black actor teaming together as imbeciles, but NEVER is it permitted to show two blacks alone as Dumb and Dumber. Of course in commercialsdepictingcops and robbers, the crooks are always white.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I don't watch a lot of TV but while watching a little of the game last Sunday I saw the following:

a commercial for a software product:
cluless white guy doesn't know what the heck to do, but a brainy black woman straightened him out, then a wise asian commented on the product and then a hispanic guy got one last dig in at the dumb white guy.

Next a commercial for another product, black guy is retiring from an investing firm, what will we do with out him? cries a white employee, all whites stop and listen for pearls of wisdom from retiring black guy, how will they ever manage without him? Asian guy is there to help reassure scared white employees that, yes, white people can run a business without their black accountant.

next: TGIF or Bennigan's or somesuch resteraunt, white woman eating with her closest friends. one white, one hispanic, one asian, one black. oh the dream life! a best buddy of each race and ethnicity to share good times with. My own life is so...so....white. too bad.

then back to the game. White receiver, not fast but has lots of "hustle". White defensive end, weighs about 100 pounds less then the black guy next to him but he is "slower" and not as "athletic".

Black QB, scored a 12 n his Wonderlic is smart as well as fast, quick, athletic, savy, slick, athletic. Other teams white QB, with much better passing stats BTW is an overacheiver, a guy who has done a lot with little natural talent.

After the game I could watch Homer Simpson the typical father figure, or Al Bundy the typical TV father figure or Tim "Tool Time" Allen another typical clumsy, loser, white father figure.

Then the news......

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OK Socrates, I never said only minorities should be in those roles. What I said was that whites shouldn't be in them so often. It isn't just that whites are in the positions either, it is that most of the times when they are, they are made to look like idiots by non-whites. That is the connection with the media and its purpose to take as much of the confidence, pride, and manhood away from whites as possible. You may watch a lot of TV, but you don't have the experience or enough knowledge of the way the world works to care about seeing it our way. Thats why you are ignoring what I am saying and see my opinion in such a "questionable" light. Why don't you humor us and tell us why you are still using that method, since it is easy to see that you don't want to agree with it and you are really trying to stir up the board.
smiley2.gif

G

Bart said:
Yes, whites can be portrayed positively or negatively. The media bias however, invariably comes into play when whites are seen with blacks or asians.  In multi - racial commercials,  the white man plays the fool, dork, slob, geek, criminal or dummy,  the black and asian are the geniuses.  The ONLY situation in which a black can be represented as an idiot is when he is coupled with a white man who is a greater dimwit.  In other words,  you may see two white guys as Dumb and Dumber or a white actor and black actor teaming together as imbeciles, but NEVER is it permitted to show two blacks alone as Dumb and Dumber.  Of course in commercials depicting cops and robbers,  the crooks are always white.

Alright, that is a somewhat reasonable answer.

Question here: how many comercials on average do you think are multiracial when compared to mono racial ones?

G

Colonel_Reb said:
OK Socrates, I never said only minorities should be in those roles. What I said was that whites shouldn't be in them so often.

Well, whites not being in them so often would then still require somebody else to play the role of the dummy.

Colonel_Reb said:
It isn't just that whites are in the positions either, it is that most of the times when they are, they are made to look like idiots by non-whites.

Hmm...I don't see this quite as often. I will look further into this, as far as treatment of whites and non whites goes.

What I can say now, at least, is that these multiracial commercials really are far from the majority of all commercials. Most are monoracial.

Colonel_Reb said:
You may watch a lot of TV, but you don't have the experience or enough knowledge of the way the world works to care about seeing it our way. Thats why you are ignoring what I am saying and see my opinion in such a "questionable" light.

Like I said before, I am not simply ignoring what you're saying. I simply do not agree with what you said, so I am questioning it because it appears questionable to me.

Simple as that.

Colonel_Reb said:
Why don't you humor us and tell us why you are still using that method, since it is easy to see that you don't want to agree with it and you are really trying to stir up the board.
smiley2.gif

What are you talking about? I don't want to agree with the Socratic method?
smiley5.gif

Futuregohan30 said:
So I guess you are against that ad primarily because you dislike interracial marrigae.
Fair enough, that is no type of logic I have not seen before.
But is that really anti white? Sure, some white girls may be attracted to star football plaers. Is that somehow an attempt to insult white people?

Actually, I took a black girl to my prom, and I'm married to a half Japanese girl, so your theory is out. It is anti-white, and if you can't see why, you're blind. Both white women are with black guys. They don't show a black girl liking 'Ryan', but a white girl, just like the white woman who plays his mother. If he weren't coal black, I'd assume he was mixed, but somehow I doubt it. Consistent pairing of white women with black men is a bias, and its aimed against white men.

Also, I don't see how you could be offended by the way Urlacher was portrayed. All he did was doze off in class like many very ordinary teens do(seen it myself, even in honors classes).
How was that offensive? For such a portrayal to be unoffensive, would Brian have had to have been the guy raising his hand and answering all the questions?

Quite offensive. I lived and went to high school in PG County, Maryland, and played football there. Its a predominantly black county, and I think I was one of maybe 20 whites in a class of 400 students. He didn't 'doze off', he wasn't paying attention and didn't know the answer. So ask yourself this: of all the players in that ad, why was it the white guy who didn't know?

Because, as I see it, it appeared that they were just portraying Brian and everyone else in the ad as ordinary teen football players, nothing more, nothing less.

To an extent. But I feel its far more pro-black and anti-white than it is simply trying to be an ad. Why is 'Ryan' black when most of the NFL players in it are? Why are both women in it white? Why not an Asian, or Latino, or even a black woman?

But it's important to the media to continually pair white women with black men, and you should be asking why. Do you recall the uproar over the TO/Nicolette Sheridan skit? So, several years later, is it continually thrown in our faces?

Maybe its different for 15 y.o.s today, and you really do think yourself to be colorblind. I just see that as PC brainwashing, though. I can only hope your eyes open when you get into the real world.

JD074

Master
Futuregohan30 said:
No, actually, I'm not sick of anything
smiley2.gif

smiley36.gif
Of course you're not. You're black.

But in anycase, I could better answer your question were I to have some possible examples of ads in which you have seen this behavior?

What's the point? You're black. You wouldn't be offended anyway. But there is a line of commercials about a bank (I forget which one) where the black guy is constantly "schooling" the old white guys. He's younger, smarter, cooler, and more handsome. If you watch so much TV, I would be surprised if you haven't seen any of these.

Whites should never have to portray dopey or lazy, or ordinary clueless people, as that would be anti white.

No, but there shouldn't be a pattern of fat, ugly, dumb white guys, and smart, hip, cool black guys (and women.) We're not saying that all white characters have to be smart and cool, or that all non-white characters have to be dumb and ugly. There is a clear pattern that has to come to an end. Do you understand?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Futuregohan30 said:
Colonel_Reb said:
Did you just see that anti-white Madden 2007 game commercial? What crap that was, black guys playing as black guys hitting Dallas Clark and laughing about it!
smiley7.gif
One thing about it that was good though, Clark didn't drop the ball!

That commercial was anti white?

Interesting, but I really don't think that was it's intention at all.

But may I inquire as to what would be required so as not to make that commercial anti white?

Seems Clark isn't too happy that out of all the NFL receivers and tight ends, he was the one chosen to be made to look bad:

[url]http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2006/november/26-colts_te_ upset_at_madden_07_commercial.html [/url]
<H2 =categoryer>Colts TE upset at Madden '07 commercial?</H2>
<H3 =dateer>Sunday, November 26, 2006</H3>

ind.gif
One of the recent commercials for the popular Madden NFL '07 video game features Indianapolis Colts veteran tight end Dallas Clark getting roughed up, complete with painful grunts, by a couple of Philadelphia Eagles. It's as flattering as Wile E. Coyote being flattened by a semi on a desert road, according to the INDIANAPOLIS STAR.

"Everyone has told me about it,'' said Clark, who'll hope to avoid a similar fate tonight when the Colts entertain the Eagles in the RCA Dome. "I haven't seen the commercial, but I'm upset about it. It makes me look like a punk.''

On the commercial, Clark runs a crossing route and is wrapped up by Eagles safety Brian Dawkins. As he spins around, he's whacked by defensive end Darren Howard. For emphasis, the play is shown a couple of times.

"Everyone is talking about my face and my grunting and the noises I make,'' Clark said. "It sounds like I'm dying. "I want to know why the people picked me. If they come and ask me, 'Hey, we're going to make you look bad, is that OK?' (but) they didn't ask me.''

Don Wassall said:
Seems Clark isn't too happy that out of all the NFL receivers and tight ends, he was the one chosen to be made to look bad

I'd be pissed too, and I think I can figure out why: does Clark have any gaping, obvious flaws? Is he an *******, like Shockey? Is he a bitch in the locker room, like Witten? Is he hurt easily, like Heap? The answer to all of those seems to be no. He's also a high profile white guy on a team that dares to throw to him instead of two black guys(although I like Harrison, he's very classy and doesn't grandstand at all; I don't know enough about Wayne to say anything). They'd be eaten alive if that commercial had been a brutal sack-fumble with Manning, so they picked the next obvious target.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Why Dallas Clark at all? Given the preponderance of black receivers and running backs compared to whites, why would they go out of their way to pick a white guy?

In my opinion it plays to the stereotype of the doofy white guys getting jacked up by the real affaletes on the field, the blacks. Always good for a few laughs, right?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
I'd be pissed too, and I think I can figure out why: does Clark have any gaping, obvious flaws? Is he an *******, like Shockey? Is he a bitch in the locker room, like Witten? Is he hurt easily, like Heap?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that many of your posts in support of whitessomehowend up being less than flattering.

PitBull

Guru
Futuregohan30,

I think the whites on this board should be given the benefit that blacks
are: we know anti-white racism when we see it! Who better to determine
what is offensive or not than us, the target?

Ad agencies are chock full of weird people who have somehow gravitated
to it from art schools and liberal arts programs. Dregs, really. Very left
wing. Also populated by some minorities and the unmentioned gay and
lesbian brownshirts, who also hate straight white men. You bet all this
stuff is intentional. Corporations spend millionss of dollars on ad
campaigns--everything is analyzed and thought over, including race.
Focus groups are assembled and opinions taken. In the end, the client
gets what they want. Nike is incredibly anti-white. If you were to ask me
why, I couldn't tell you why, but I will never buy another product from
them in my life. Anti-white racism not only plays to minoirites here, but
to other races worldwide. This is a worldwide marketing tactic.

I don't think you understand how much everything that happens on TV is
planned out and thought over. EVERYTHING is, even those- so-called
reality shows, which are rigged. You really are quite naive (or playing at
it, which I suspect. I'm not so sure you're 15 either. It doesn't matter
though). I challenge you to show me any commercials where the minority
is portrayed as a dufus. I would also challenge you to show me a
commercial where the white guy is paired off romantically with a non-
white woman. We're all waiting.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, I've noticed the same thing about many of Matt_Bowen_Fan's posts. Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

As for Dallas Clark's reaction, I told y'all it was a racist commercial. Finally, I'm ahead of the curve on something!
smiley36.gif

Bart said:
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
I'd be pissed too, and I think I can figure out why: does Clark have any gaping, obvious flaws? Is he an *******, like Shockey? Is he a bitch in the locker room, like Witten? Is he hurt easily, like Heap? 

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that many of your posts in support of whites somehow end up being less than flattering.

An ******** an ******* no matter what race, and Shockey comes off to me as an *******. Witten blew the Cowboy's win over Washington because he was too busy talking sh*t to bother blocking a 35 year old free agent; my buddy, who's a Vol alum, said he was absolute poison in the locker room at Tennessee as well.

Colonel_Reb said:
Bart, I've noticed the same thing about many of Matt_Bowen_Fan's posts. Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Come right out and say what you're wondering then. What, I don't sniff enough white jocks for you? I'm sorry I betrayed my race and criticized some white players for having bad personalities. I haven't seen where I've denigrated any white players' athleticism, but maybe I don't run down the black players enough for you people either. I've only mentioned affaletes a few times, instead of every post. Guess my pro-white focus is wrong; I should be anti-black instead.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i don't know about all that. Witten plays tough. Heap hasn't been injured this season at all. and Shockey has some character and lots of personality, we are not all the same... i don't mind that at all.

props to Clark for standing up for himself!