Toby Gerhart

SoberWF

Nevertheless, Gerhart still leads the nation in total yards, and is 7th in yards per game!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/bycategory?cat=Rushing&conference=I-A_all

Alpha Male

Mentor
Gerhartstates that he is stereotyped as a fullback because he is white in this month's Sports Illustrated. Though the article utilizes the code description, "deceptively fast," and offers no moral commentary lamenting the obvious racial discrimianition Gerhart endures, itis nonetheless a smallstep in the direction of truth and equality. The daring authoreven compares him to a shifty black back andnot to a white power or full back in full violation of Caste System doctrine. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: Alpha Male

Westside

Hall of Famer
In case anyone cares or wants to jump back on bandwagon, Toby ran for 126 yards and two TDs in an losing effort. I think his ypc was around 4.6. He still has a chance he just needs around three monster games and the rest around buck thirty to have serios consideration for the Heisman.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I would say he needs about 1800 yards to win the Heismann if his team isn't a contender for the PAC10 title. To win the Doak Walker he would need to maintain the pace he is at and to make it a lock he would need about 1800+. Generally non contenders need better numbers to win the Heismann.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I am hoping for at least 1500/1600 yrds at this point. I am not a college expert, but is there a soft run in the remaining schedule?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Toby is on pace for about 1,500 yards at this point. He's not 4th in the FBS in rushing yardage. The remaining schedule is as follows:

<table ="table" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr ="evenrow" valign="top"><td>October 24</td><td>Arizona State</td><td>10:15 PMET</td><td>Tickets</td></tr><tr ="oddrow" valign="top"><td>November 7</td><td>No. 11Oregon</td><td>TBA</td><td>Tickets</td></tr><tr ="evenrow" valign="top"><td>November 14</td><td>at No. 7USC</td><td>TBA</td><td>Tickets</td></tr><tr ="oddrow" valign="top"><td>November 21</td><td>California</td><td>TBA</td><td>Tickets</td></tr><tr ="evenrow" valign="top"><td>November 28</td><td>Notre Dame</td><td>8:00 PMET </td><td>Tickets</td></tr></t></table>

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Wow Nebraskas DT Suh is now leading ESPNS Heisman race at 35%

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
on a side note ... Stanford's cornerbacks are just AWFUL! they couldn't cover a receiver with a circus tent.
most of the Cardinal's problems on defense (which translate directly to their offensive struggles, as well) come from the complete inability of their cornerbacks to limit opposing passing games.

backrow

Hall of Famer
linked by draftdaddy, from bleacher report: (check out the poll options!)

2010 NFL Draft Profile: Toby Gerhart by kevin roberts kevin robertsSenior Writer, Featured Columnist
337 articles written
2759 comments written
156 fans

Senior Writer Written on October 19, 2009 (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images) Share this poll on Facebook

Results - Author Poll
Should Gerhart play RB at the next level?

69.2% Definitely, he's awesome
15.4% He's white, so naturally he'll be a FB
15.4% He could be a fine back-up RB
0.0% He can't play any position in the NFL
Total votes: 13

I know what you're thinking. Anyone who knows anything about Pac-10 football knows Stanford's Toby Gerhart. He's not a gem. He's a force to be reckoned with.

Hell, anyone who knows college football knows Gerhart. But even though this may be fairly accurate, his name isn't littered all over ESPN. He's not on the covers of magazines or gracing the headlines of sports websites.

With the history the NFL Draft has bestowed upon us, it's quite likely that NFL GM's and NFL scouts need a refresher course in what to look for in an NFL running back.

I'm sorry, Darren McFadden, but your "proto-type" isn't working. Yours either, Felix Jones. While both of these former Arkansas Razorbacks are athletic specimens, they haven't performed up to expectations, and they also can't stay on the field.

Perhaps scouts and GM's should take a different approach?

Gerhart may not be the fastest back. He runs in the mid 4.5's and 4.6's. He may not be the most athletic, either. While he does possess sound agility and elusiveness, it can't be compared to that of, say, Darren McFadden or Felix Jones.

But his durability, his power, and his lack of fear; those are components to his game that cannot be replaced. Neither can his break-away speed, his vision, and his relentless ability to and knack for attacking defenders, usually many at a time.

Last season was the start of something special, the official unleashing of Toby Gerhart.

In 2008, he compiled 1,136 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns, while averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Doing this in the Pac-10, while it's not the powerhouse conference it once was, isn't as easy as it seems.

He even put up fine numbers against solid competition last year, as he topped 100 yards rushing against USC, and also chipped-in a score. While proving he could compete against high-level programs, he also proved his durability and consistency, as he recorded eight 100-yard games, and scored at least one touchdown in nine games, including a impressive four-touchdown game against Washington State.

This season, Gerhart is slowly gaining recognition as one of the nations top backs, widely regarded as the 2010 draft's top "power back".

Through seven games, Gerhart has 869 yards rushing, 12 touchdowns, and a 5.2 yards per carry average.

He's strewn-out his solid performances once again, registering five 100-yard game (including a 200-yard game), and scoring at least one touchdown in six of his seven contests.

Gerhart still has a lot to prove to his doubters, the so-called draft "experts", with matches against USC, Arizona, and Notre Dame.

But if you watch the tape on Gerhart, you'll come to see he's already proven everything he has to.

** video link they posted are cf's own dwid's highlights! **
Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great find, backrow! Great video work, dwid! It looks like the media is starting to take notice of what CF and the people here are doing and are being somewhat fair in how they represent us. We need to flood this poll with votes as well.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Walterfootball now has Toby Gerhart as the #5 ranked runningback and expects him to be drafted in the second or third round.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Wow, that's awesome! Dwid, you've really done terrific work on YouTube, work that is clearly being noticed, if even just through a link. Every little tie that Caste Football can have to the MSM is a step in the right direction.

Keep up the great work, sir! It's making a huge difference!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
DWID is the man when it comes to videos. There is almost nothing that he can't do when it comes to editing. Thanks my brother. Keep up the great work. You must have a cool wife that supports you in your noble cause. I can't wait to see Toby playing on Sundays. We have to belive that some team will give him a chance.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The one thing I worry about is that Gerhart will go in the early 2nd round to a very bad team. The DWFs are incapable of linking RB struggles to the offensive weapons and offensive line the RB plays with if he is white (think Leonard on St. Louis with 4 o-line starters out and Bulger and Bruce missing a game as well).

I'd like to see a GOOD white "friendly" team with solid run blockers, like the Packers or Colts, grab Gerhart in the late 1st round. Toby would be a major upgrade to Ryan Grant and his 3.8 YPC or Joseph Addai and his 3.4 YPC. The Colts could have a great dual threat backfield, with Gerhart and Donald Brown, for the foreseeable future if they'd venture such an idea. In GB, Toby would be the main show at RB. Hopefully, there would be little "apprenticeship" with these teams and the fans would wake up to how overrated Grant and Addai are!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was just thinking though, if Gerhart goes to a good team- it'd be much more likely in the late 2nd round or late 3rd than late 1st. The White Noise's of the site have been proved right more than the optimists with this BS league. But...unless he's a 1st rounder, I predict an apprenticeship.
smiley21.gif

PhillyBirds

Mentor
IMO, the Packers would be a better fit than the Colts. Donald Brown is a power back, albeit with less big play potential than Toby. I don't think they would "offset" each other real well.

On the other hand, Toby would be much better outright replacing Ryan Grant. After his breakout season and contract holdout, Grant has underperformed tremendously.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Last year Addai should have been wearing askirt and bra, but he's picked it up since the team drafted Brown in the first round. Addai is only in his fourth year, Brown in his first.

We still have a long way to go before Gerhart is even taken as a feature back. Thirty years-plus of white running backs being screwed equals a good chance of him being "caste" as a "tweener" or "H-back" or "Alstott type fullback," etc., etc., especially if he doesn't run a fast time at the Combine, where even Leonard's 4.49 wasn't enough to save him from being called a fullback by virtually every "draft expert" except Mike Mayock.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it. I am glad Toby is getting some recognition, can't wait until I get some free time to make some highlights of him from this year. I am hoping the videos for this year's prospects get at least twice as many views as they did last year. Hopefully it can wake up more dwfs, game footage doesn't lie. I just wish I had more footage of Gerhart, it is hard to find Stanford games on tv, even this year when they are winning.

I know he has the potential to be a featured back at the next level so an Alstott type role doesn't seem too much to ask for.

You think guys like Hester and Hillis would at least be used this way with a certain amount of carries a game, but so far not much luck except for Hillis last year. Even before the injuries to numerous backs, Hillis was an option in the passing game as a fullback and had 100 yards receiving in one game. So things are gradually changing. Hopefully things will change even more with Gerhart entering the league.

At least he seems aware of the discrimination of Whites at certain positions from his interviews, so I hope he doesn't pull a Jacob Hester and gladly accept a role as a battering ram with a "do anything for the team" mentality. I think he will run around the same time as Leonard.

Another thing that is a positive is that he never was a blocking back at any point in his college career (from what I am aware of) like Hester, Hillis, or Leonard. So even if they try to slot him as a fullback I think more dwf's will wake up and ask why?Edited by: dwid

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
IMO, the Packers would be a better fit than the Colts. Donald Brown is a power back, albeit with less big play potential than Toby. I don't think they would "offset" each other real well.

On the other hand, Toby would be much better outright replacing Ryan Grant. After his breakout season and contract holdout, Grant has underperformed tremendously.

I see Donald Brown as a blend between a powerback and scatback. Brown is good at everything, but not freakish at any particular skill. He definitely runs with some thunder, but his agility in the x-z plane is basically as good as his agility in the x-y plane. in other words, he can play the swivel through traffic role (scatback) almost as well as the one cut, burst to the hole- and outrun weak tackle attempts and angles role (powerback). Although size isn't the best indicator, Brown is probably right in the ballpark between a "typical" scatback and powerback as well.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I do agree though that the Packers would be the best fit for Toby. Their run blocking scheme fits a one or two cut and burst to the hole powerback very well to boot!

dwid

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I do agree though that the Packers would be the best fit for Toby. Their run blocking scheme fits a one or two cut and burst to the hole powerback very well to boot!
what do you think about him going to Texans? How do you think he would fit into their blocking scheme? I haven't had a chance to watch them this year but they are a somewhat White friendly team. It would be nice to see them draft Toby (as long as they are willing to actually use him), I know they have Steve Slaton but I could see a Gerhart/Slaton tandem working well.Edited by: dwid

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
A Gerhart/Slaton tandem with Gerhart getting maybe 15-20 carries a game and Slaton getting 12-16 could end up being the best backfield in the league outside of Adrian Peterson. I just don't think that the Texans would be willing to give half or more of the carries to Gerhart with Slaton playing so well. If Gerhart was black like B. Jacobs, Michael Turner or Beanie Wells (who have similar styles) you can bet that it could happen though- and it wouldn't "shake things up" in the media and in DWF's feeble minds.

I don't know much about the Texan's offensive line. I do think a Denver/GB type zone blocking line- where you can make a quick cut or two (at most) and quickly read where the hole will be- would be ideal for Gerhart. Gerhart has great balance and footwork, but he isn't suited best for when they put 8 men in the box and he has to get past multiple guys (including his own o-line) "in a phone both" right at the line of scrimmage (because of his body type) unless it's short yardage. In that case- he probably just powers for a yard or two. He's at his best when he makes a quick cut and hits the seam with a head of steam. He's a load once he gets moving. Then once in the second level of the defense, he can bounce it outside if need be.

The thing about Gerhart is, it would be very rare that he hurt his team by losing yards. Also, although he wouldn't have a lot of 30+ yard runs (the NFL record in a season is only 8 by DeAngelo Williams last year anyway) he'd be one of the best in the league at getting 10-25 yard runs, I believe, and would really wear down defenses. I think he could end up being the most effective back in the league outside of Adrian Peterson if he finds the right team AND ACTUALLY PLAYS!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Will Gerhart share the same fate as his slightly slower clone Peyton Hillis?

I just was looking at something laughable. I saw some DWFs saying that Hillis' weakness is long runs on Youtube. Well on 46% more carries than Hillis for Moreno this year compared to Hillis last year, Moreno's longest run is 17 yards. Hillis longest run was 19 yards and he had 3 of them in one game, the game before he got hurt, and had an 18 yard TD where he had broke free so much it would have been good from 50 in his last game. Black supremacy TexasTech? I think not!

Kind of like how another dazzling first rounder of yours- Reggie Bush- who supposedly can make guys miss in a phone booth has had six 20+ yard runs with almost seven times more carries in his carrer than Hillis had last year as a tailback and only one 30+ yard run of 43 yards. Black supremacy right Blacksimus! Hahahaha! These guys also lose yardage more and have averaged more than a yard per carry less than Hillis while playing tailback. Well guess who's still playing tailback and will continue to for years? Lets see you argue these FACTS Blacksimus!