Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't fault Harbaugh so soon.
He had white receivers, running backs, DBs, everything at Stanford.
But he's only been in SF one year. He's had to make due with what was already there, which was mostly black players.
And to his credit, he's really turned that team around.

indeed, but that's because Stanford is a pretty white friendly program due to academic requirements.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Yes, Stanford is a white friendly program, but even there he could have found and recruited black receivers and backs. Even BYU has black receivers and backs. So I can't fault Harbaugh at this juncture.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The academic requirements is the key. Harbaugh's Stanford teams were little different than the ones before he arrived. He deserves credit for giving Gerhart a chance, but I have seen nothing so far to indicate that he is going to be "relatively White friendly" in the NFL, anything but. I hope I'm wrong.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You made some good points, Don. I was thinking about some of those issues when I posted earlier. I guess I'm trying to be a Pollyanna when it comes to Toby Gerhart making a career out of being an NFL RB. Maybe he'll end up in a setting that will allow him the opportunities that he needs to show the powers that be that he is the high quality starting NFL RB that we already know he is.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well Peterson is going to do his damnest to prove he is indispensable. he's put in a practice, albeit limited today...

seattlefan

Guru
A positive view of Gerhart's game last week:

Emerging from the Shadows

He may have gained fewer than 100 yards, he may not have crossed the goal-line and he may not have ripped off a 20 yard run, but this was as good and as consistent a running display as you will see this season. Toby Gerhart (+4.2) put in a display to make Adrian Peterson proud simply by the manner in which he ran; with aggression and a sheer unwillingness to be tackled that has been so absent from Gerhart’s performances of his pro career to date. Much like his Bronco counterpart, Gerhart forced six missed tackles from his opposing defense making a Broncos’ defense, that in recent weeks had been stifling, look somewhat soft. His first down rush at 5:15 in the third quarter epitomized his performance with a purposeful cut at the line of scrimmage and then great power and leg drive in the secondary at the second level taking him to a 14 yard gain close to midfield.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/05/re-focused-broncos-vikings-week-13/

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
an aspect of Gerhart's play that hasn't been mentioned very much is how gifted he is catching the ball out of the backfield. while only rarely thrown to at Stanford, the coaching staff and Andrew Luck raved about how good his hands were. in limited playing time with the Vikings, Gerhart has shown that the praise is well-deserved.

in his first start of the season, not only did Gerhart run for 91 yards on 21 attempts, he also caught 8 passes for 42 yards. he was targeted 8 times, and caught every single pass thrown his way.

to put this in perspective, playing rare spot duty to go along with 1 start, Gerhart has caught only 1 fewer pass than Adrian Peterson (15 catches for Gerhart to 16 for Peterson) while also averaging slightly more yards-per-catch (8.1 for Gerhart, 7.8 for Peterson). possibly the most unexpected factor of Gerhart's receiving ability is his talent for picking up yards after the catch, as he has more YAC yardage than Peterson on fewer catches (120 YAC for Gerhart to 110 YAC for Peterson).

furthermore, these numbers don't include Gerhart's superior ability to pick up blitzes.

Gerhart is obviously a complete back, and hopefully he will be able to go play for a team that values his talents. until then, here's hoping he continues to impress in his limited opportunities in Minnesota.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Detroit is the 22nd ranked rush defense in the league and allows an average of 125 rushing yards per game. This certainly is a very favorable matchup for Gerhart. He needs to break off some long runs to prove the DWF's wrong.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Peterson will be back for Week 15, but at least Gerhart had two strong games in a row as a starter after a tough first game against Atlanta. The more he plays in the NFL the better he gets. This can only help him if he trys to be signed as a starter at the end of his contract, though the odds remains against the Doak Walker winner because of his pigmentation affliction. Hopefully Peterson will have another sprained ankle or two over the next couple of seasons. . .

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of blurbs I found about Gerhart, who, like Tim Tebow, has shut up his many irrational and racist critics for now:

Dec. 15, 2011 4:21 p.m. - by Joe Oberle - Frazier: Gerhart excelled in A.P.'s absence Coach Leslie Frazier on the performance of RB Toby Gerhart in RB Adrian Peterson’s absence: “We all had an idea of what he was capable of, but (he let) all of our coaches know. He did a terrific job. He really lowered the boom on some guys and it increased everybody’s confidence in him in when he is in the game.”

Adrian Peterson: All signs point to All Day this week against New Orleans. If he plays for them, he plays for you. And Toby Gerhart gets a nice hearty handshake, a laurel wreath, and a picture with Miss America before he gets a seat back on your bench. It was a great three-week ride for Gerhart, but he has no fantasy value with Peterson back.

backrow

Hall of Famer
rotoskunks quick to put whitey in his place, although they do also notice how he's earned his role somewhat:

Toby Gerhart rushed only three times for 34 yards in Week 15, but caught four passes for 46 yards and two touchdowns as the Vikings were steamrolled by the Saints in Week 15.

Gerhart's two touchdowns were fluky, the first coming on a quick shovel pass from 10 yards out and the second on a well-blocked screen from 16 yards away. We'd say his role was expanded because Adrian Peterson (ankle) isn't 100 percent yet, but that wasn't necessarily the case. Gerhart did seem to overtake Peterson on passing downs during comeback mode, often being used in blitz protection and as a receiver. Regardless, Gerhart won't be a fantasy option in Week 16 against the Redskins.

dwid

Hall of Famer
He was supposed to have no value this week, 2 tds and led his team in receiving. He has earned at least the role Chester Taylor had while he was there.

Fluky, imagine that, the coach actually called some plays that were designed to help Gerhart make a play, just like every other coach does for their players, instead of running him up the gut in predictable run situations. But Im guessing since he is White he is the only player that has the coach call plays designed to get positive yards, every other player just has to gain yards on their own with no scheming at all..... A well blocked screen? yeah the screen ran as planned, its not "great", its either two things, the defense is all over the screen, or the screen works. I think the average screen pass goes for about 6 to 7 yards, he got 16. I don't see how either of those plays were flukes, not even close. Are all of the gadget plays they have designed for Harvin just flukes?

Last edited:
rotoskunks quick to put whitey in his place, although they do also notice how he's earned his role somewhat: Toby Gerhart rushed only three times for 34 yards in Week 15, but caught four passes for 46 yards and two touchdowns as the Vikings were steamrolled by the Saints in Week 15. Gerhart's two touchdowns were fluky, the first coming on a quick shovel pass from 10 yards out and the second on a well-blocked screen from 16 yards away. We'd say his role was expanded because Adrian Peterson (ankle) isn't 100 percent yet, but that wasn't necessarily the case. Gerhart did seem to overtake Peterson on passing downs during comeback mode, often being used in blitz protection and as a receiver. Regardless, Gerhart won't be a fantasy option in Week 16 against the Redskins.
I used to get angry with this stuff, now I laugh when I read it.

backrow

Hall of Famer
whining little bitch:

Adrian Peterson played just 23 snaps in the Vikings' Week 15 loss to the Saints.

Peterson was not happy with his snap count or the fact that he got just 10 touches. Toby Gerhart also played 23 snaps and recorded two touchdowns. Peterson's ankle did come out of the game healthy, so we'd expect a nice bump in snaps this week. He's a solid RB1 against the Redskins Saturday.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

dwid

Hall of Famer
whining little bitch:

Adrian Peterson played just 23 snaps in the Vikings' Week 15 loss to the Saints.

Peterson was not happy with his snap count or the fact that he got just 10 touches. Toby Gerhart also played 23 snaps and recorded two touchdowns. Peterson's ankle did come out of the game healthy, so we'd expect a nice bump in snaps this week. He's a solid RB1 against the Redskins Saturday.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
He also whined about Jabari Greer twisting his bad ankle in the bottom of the pile hurting it more, as if players don't do that all the time, go after someones weak spot and/or resort to dirty tactics at the bottom of a pile.

He gave the indication that it was because he was injured that he didn't do much, so now he was healthy and its the White man's fault because Toby played better. Most his yards came on one play where the Saints D just played awful and allowed a huge gaping hole, he gained 39 yards. So 21 yards on the rest of the 9 carries. I am guessing he would have rather his ypc go down each carry as long as he was getting the ball. He only needs to average 34 the next two games to get 1k, so gee....I wonder why he is so upset. I can understand wanting to continue a streak 1k seasons but 34 yards the next two games shouldn't be hard to manage with 10 carries (what he got last game), he shouldn't want the ball that much on a team that is losing with a hurt ankle. It will only hurt him in the future, but I guess he isn't thinking that far ahead.

backrow

Hall of Famer
that's what Vikes should do:trade AP and get some draft picks!

LIMBECK: Good to have you back, Captain Purple, after you took time off to welcome Baby Feldy into the world. I have something to bring up that might make you scream and cry like a baby: The Vikings should consider trading Adrian Peterson. I would have disagreed with the take at the start of the season. Peterson is probably the best running back in the league. But the Vikings have a lot of needs and Toby Gerhart has shown to be a capable replacement the past two weeks with Peterson sidelined. I realize Gerhart is never going to be electric like Peterson, but he's a solid back. What if the Vikings could get a couple of first-round draft choices and a current starter from a team. That could help the Vikings rebuild quicker. Yes or No?
FELDMAN: Thinking about that is as painful as watching Tyrell Johnson attempt to tackle. Unfortunately, it's something the Vikings should strongly consider if they could get a couple of first-round picks (and a second or third, or both). AP has been in the league for five years. Even the best running backs are rarely in their prime for more than about eight years. That means the Vikings would have to become Super Bowl contenders in the next three years, which looks like a long shot. My biggest concern about possibly trading AP, though? Trusting the Rick Spielman/Leslie Frazier/Scott Studwell combo to make the proper draft choices.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1478884

foobar75

Master
This is quite incredible, to be honest. Even discussing the possibility of trading a RB the caliber of Adrian Peterson because his White backup has shown more than enough ability to fill the role is a big deal. I guess we can chalk this one up to yet another small crack in the walls of the caste system.

Can you possibly imagine if Toby became the starter in MIN, when we've all been talking about him bailing out of there? Things may just work out in a funny way, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Truthteller

Mentor
I think Peterson is rushing back for 2 reasons: Obviously he doesn't want the blue-eyed devil from the "Ivy League of the West" to show him up and showcase his skills. More important, I think he wants to make sure he gets 1,000 yards for the season --he's at 872. Once he gets 1,000, my guess is his work load will be decreased significantly -- or should be to protect him for the future, as the Vikes are 2-10. Stats are very important to prima-donna affletes, particularly RB's and WR's when it comes to 1,000 yards and double digit TD's -- he has 11 TD's.

I usually don't like quoting myself, but it's worth noting Peterson is up to 932 yards. As I wrote two weeks ago, stats are very important to these prima-donna affletes. With that said, once AP clearly eclipses the 1,000 yard rushing mark (he needs only 68), there is absolutely no reason for him to touch the ball that much in the final two games of the season. Matter of fact, if he get's beyond 1,000 tommorow, a very good case can be made that he should not even dress for the Vikings' final game, considering the team could be 3-12 (at best) and the fact that he's been hobbled by injuries for several weeks now.

Now, if Peterson continues making a "big stink" about not touching the ball enough after he reaches 1,000 yards, one might conclude that he's threatened by Toby. Perhaps he doesn't fear Toby is better than him, but he probably doesn't want the DWF's lavishing "love" on a blonde-haired, blue-eyed runner. As race-mixing/Uncle Tom Eric D!ckerson put it years ago -- blacks believe RB is "their position" and they get very defensive and uneasy when a white dude comes along and shows he can do it, also. I'd bet if Chester Taylor was there instead of Toby, AP would not play again this season after he got his 1,000 yards.

itsme

Guru
Looks like Toby will get another start next week.

Yahoo Sports' report on Adrian Peterson's left knee injury indicates that the Vikings fear Peterson tore more than just his ACL.
The fear is additional structural damage. "The way they were talking, I’ll be happy if it’s just the ACL," one source said. "... It didn’t sound good the way everybody was talking." A second source replied "Maybe more than that, too," when asked if Peterson sustained damage beyond the ACL tear.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Obviously, Gerhardt will get to play more now.

Any time a rb hurts his knee, not just AP, it can be thought his career is in jeopardy.

It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

We'll all be rooting for Toby.

Tom Iron...

dwid

Hall of Famer
Well, unlike guys like Michael Turner, Peterson is a hard worker so he might be back sooner than expected. However, it has been revealed he tore both his mcl and acl, and they have to wait for the mcl to heal before they can even operate on the acl. Knee injuries can affect a runningback's career but aren't as serious as they used to be.

With our luck Peterson will be back right after preseason. He might not be the same player he was for the first year, it takes a long time to truly trust that knee after an injury. I know Welker wasn't the same for a while, his ypc was under 10 for most of the year when he first came back. Gerhart had just an mcl injury early in college and wore a brace for the rest of his college career. His agility after taking the brace off and being in the NFL looks even better.

So we might see a struggling Adrian Peterson get carries over Gerhart, which would be even more painful than if Gerhart were sitting on the bench to a 100 percent Peterson. I still would like to see him go to another team, especially with the way things have been going in Minnesota. I mean if we are lucky we will see Gerhart start for about 4 or 5 games next season for Minny, unless Peterson has setbacks in his recovery.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I feel bad for Peterson, what a crappy thing to happen. It was one thing for Gerhart to get PT due to him having an ankle strain but a not a major career threatning injury. I wonder if the ankle had anything to do with it, perhaps he couldn't steady his knee or move properly. But whatever, it is what it is, Toby has got his chance to shine.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This video from the Vikings' site has Gerhart's long run at the 1:30 mark. Rudolph's TD catch from Webb is at 2:20. I checked NFL.com's highlights video from the NFL Network, and in what should be a surprise to no one, Gerhart's run isn't on it, in fact he isn't even mentioned. I don't know if his run was shown on BSPN's "Blitz."

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...skins-26/1a6f1136-8926-4c75-9103-829e3f103d15

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
This video from the Vikings' site has Gerhart's long run at the 1:30 mark. Rudolph's TD catch from Webb is at 2:20. I checked NFL.com's highlights video from the NFL Network, and in what should be a surprise to no one, Gerhart's run isn't on it, in fact he isn't even mentioned. I don't know if his run was shown on BSPN's "Blitz."

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...skins-26/1a6f1136-8926-4c75-9103-829e3f103d15

Check the weekly thread, someone posted a link to the Gerhart run, headline was a typical: Gerhart "rumbles" 67 yards, like it was an offense lineman or something, look forward to Chrissie Berman's rumbling, stumbling, bumbling, description, during his silly two minutes of hi-lites on Monday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.