Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Starter money??!!?? Are you serious? You have been around here long enough to know that unless Peterson gets injured and Gerhart comes in and plays at a high level his career is OVER. There is no other team that will sign him for anything other then summer practice fodder. Nobody cares that he was good in college now. That's all forgotten. That's the way it works. Think Matt Jones, who actually had some decent games. After a white skill position player leaves the team that they started with or had a decent season there career is over. They might kick around a little but as for realizing the potential they had at college--forget it.

Jaxvid, if everyone on this site believes that there is no chance that Gerhart will be given a chance to become a starter elsewhere then what is the point of this site?

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Jaxvid, if everyone on this site believes that there is no chance that Gerhart will be given a chance to become a starter elsewhere then what is the point of this site?

He's being realistic, WA33. Gerhart won't get signed for starters money in the NFL if a WR on his team is getting more carries than he is.

wile

Master
The carries issue tells me one thing, the inmates are running the show in MN and Frazier is a short timer.

Toby averaging 5.9 yds a carry this season but on less carries than the usual waiver wire pickup needed to fill in the spot of a team depleted of "real running backs."

Last edited:

Highlander

Mentor
Good article on Toby and his poor utilization by the Vikings. The writer calls out the Vikings OC Bill Musgraves on why Toby hasn't been used more.

Excerpts:
So they spent a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Gerhart and they're finally figuring this out after having him on the roster for 24 games? He finished second in the closest race in Heisman Trophy history after rewriting the Stanford record books and he's only gotten 17 handoffs this year? No wonder fans are starting to question the offensive competency of the Vikings' coaching staff.

"We have to do a better job of getting him on the field and devise some packages where he's a part of it and can contribute because he's definitely capable," Musgrave said.

Calm down, coach; you're making me nervous.

As for Gerhart being capable, I think that's an understatement. During his days at Stanford, he terrorized PAC-10 defenses week in and week out. Throughout his entire career as a Cardinal, he carried the ball 671 times for 3522 yards (5.2 yards per carry) while striking paydirt 43 times. Using his hardhat style of running, he bullied any tackler that dared get in his way and gave defensive coordinators nightmares.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10418303

Kaptain

Master
Good article on Toby and his poor utilization by the Vikings. The writer calls out the Vikings OC Bill Musgraves on why Toby hasn't been used more.

Excerpts:
So they spent a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Gerhart and they're finally figuring this out after having him on the roster for 24 games? He finished second in the closest race in Heisman Trophy history after rewriting the Stanford record books and he's only gotten 17 handoffs this year? No wonder fans are starting to question the offensive competency of the Vikings' coaching staff.

"We have to do a better job of getting him on the field and devise some packages where he's a part of it and can contribute because he's definitely capable," Musgrave said.

Calm down, coach; you're making me nervous.

As for Gerhart being capable, I think that's an understatement. During his days at Stanford, he terrorized PAC-10 defenses week in and week out. Throughout his entire career as a Cardinal, he carried the ball 671 times for 3522 yards (5.2 yards per carry) while striking paydirt 43 times. Using his hardhat style of running, he bullied any tackler that dared get in his way and gave defensive coordinators nightmares.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10418303

It was pretty predictable that this article was going to just end up as a cruel tease. I believe Gerhart had zero touches in 45-7 loss. BTW - did anybody notice yet another blown block by Adrian Peterson leading to a sack? Did you also notice how some MNF announcer blamed Vikings white fullback when it was clearly APs fault?

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, something to the extent of "he blew right by Ryan D'Imperio"

zero touches for a backup runningback who is also in on 3rd downs... travesty

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Leslie Frazier says he will "sprinkle in" Gerhart. Sounds like he'll be completely irrrelevant as long as Peterson is healthy.

For Vikings' Toby Gerhart, opportunities have been few and far between

No running back casts a larger shadow than Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, which second-year backup Toby Gerhart acknowledges from obscurity while playing behind the most productive rusher in the NFL over the past four years.

Peterson's superstar status inherently limits Gerhart's opportunities, but diversification in the Vikings backfield has further marginalized the former Heisman Trophy finalist, who is on pace for a third as many carries as he had during his rookie season.

Gerhart has rushed 17 times for 100 yards, gaining only 48 yards in the past seven games after combining for 52 in Weeks 1 and 2. His lone carry Monday night against Green Bay was negated by a penalty - one of just seven plays that included Gerhart.

"You wish you had more, but I'm backing up Adrian," he said Thursday. "I've got to take advantage of my chances when I get them and try to contribute on special teams."

Year 2 was to be Gerhart's breakthrough season. Greater familiarity with how the NFL works and renewed confidence coalesced with Minnesota's desire to expand the running attack under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave.

Gerhart spent the first half of 2010 learning how to be a pro after enduring a nasty training-camp welcome from a veteran defense that was determined to humble the rookie the moment he hit the field in Mankato.

His big opportunity finally arrived in Week 11 at Washington. Early in the game, Peterson was lost to an ankle injury. Gerhart stepped up and ran 22 times for 76 yards and a touchdown in a 17-13 victory over the Redskins. In his first start a month later, he ran for 77 yards in the snow against Chicago at TCF Bank Stadium after the Metrodome collapse.

However, three lost fumbles overshadowed the production and left Gerhart with a sour taste entering the offseason.

He returned to training camp this year in better shape, feeling more relaxed and confident. Gerhart was projected to be a change-of-pace back to Peterson and see more snaps on third down and in pass protection. The opportunities, however, have dried up.

The Vikings have used Percy Harvin more out of the backfield. The speedy slot receiver has 203 yards on 23 attempts and is on pace for 41 carries - eight more than Harvin had his first two years combined.

Recently, the team has begun to use Ryan D'Imperio as well.

While Gerhart was burnishing his Heisman credentials at Stanford, D'Imperio was toiling as a linebacker at Rutgers. The Vikings drafted him in the seventh round last year - five rounds after Gerhart - and signed him to their practice squad, where they converted him to fullback.

D'Imperio debuted on the 53-man roster Week 5 against Arizona and has seen his snaps in pass protection increase with mixed results, while Gerhart has remained camped on the sideline.

"It's tough when you're Adrian Peterson's backup and you've got Percy Harvin in our offense," coach Leslie Frazier said. "It's just limited opportunities. We know Toby can help our football team, and we'll continue to sprinkle him in."

So Gerhart quietly performs his mental reps during practice, trying to improve his footwork, blocking techniques and reads coming out of the backfield - waiting for the increasingly rare moments for his number to be called.

"I prepare every week to be that guy that can take 20 carries if Adrian goes down, God forbid," he said. "It's definitely more fun when you're winning and when you're playing more. At the same time, I'm fortunate enough to be able to play this game. There's tons of people that would love to be in my shoes. I'm thankful where I'm at."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...nities-have-been-few-and-far-between-16443217

seattlefan

Guru
Gerhart actually had 1 run against Green Bay on Monday for I think 4 yards but the play had a penalty so the run didn't count. Ridiculous that they're running a wide receiver and a rookie fullback instead of him. Gerhart isn't some mid-level RB, he won the Doak and was the true Heisman winner in many people's opinion in 2009.

I recall on the one play that Gerhart got the ball, they showed Adrian Peterson on the sidelines and he had his eyes glued on Gerhart during the play.

dwid

Hall of Famer
This whole "he shouldn't get much of a role because Adrian Peterson is one of the best" is bs. Fans responhd with "why take the ball out of Adrian Peterson's hands". They have a rookie qb who should be able to lean on a team that runs the ball heavily. Chester Taylor averaged 150 touches while he was on the same team as Adrian Peterson and he isn't half as talented, nobody evere complained about his role. Adrian Peterson isn't going to maintain his health forever. Not many backs can take the punishment. Adrian Peterson missed almost 2 games last season, it could be more as time goes on. There are plenty of carries to go around, Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles both had over 200 carries last year. Peterson shouold get around 250 with Gerhart getting over 100. At least throw him some more passes, he is blocking on 3rd down quite a bit and one of his few targets he took for 42 yards. They aren't going to make the playoffs so why continue to run Adrian Peterson into the ground and not see what your 2nd round backup is capable of? Tate is splitting carries with Arian Foster. Yeah Harvin has been effective at times but is really prone to injury, I don't think getting him more involved in the running game is going to help. Why are his 2 fumbles on 23 carries over looked? btw Gerhart is averaging nearly 6 yards per carry and 13.5 per catch. Its not like Harvin adds another dimension, he is quick but is not a homerun threat (1 td on 37 catches and 23 rushes and it was a 10 yard run) and thin at 183 pounds at 5'11.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Gerhart situation is one of the easiest ones to piece together. From the article above about his defensive "teammates" determined to intimidate and even injure him (and there have been numerous other articles that have mentioned this while omitting the racial angle), to Seattlefan's observation about Peterson's eyes being "glued" on Gerhart during Toby's solitary run in the game, the team's dominant black faction doesn't want him on the team as other than a deep backup, if that.

Blacks don't want to give up anything they consider "theirs," even a single White RB or CB seems to be very threatening to them, and the league, from ownership on down to the coaches, and of course the media, have built up and pandered to this attitude over the past 35 years. Blacks really don't have much in this society, and the power structure knows it which is another important factor in understanding why the Caste System exists and why it won't change until there is much more pressure from White athletes, their families, and fans in general.

seattlefan

Guru
Good point on Chester Taylor, dwid.

Taylor was the starting RB for MIN in 2006, rushed for 1216yds on 303 carried for 4.0ypc. Taylor was nobody special out of college, drafted in the 6th round in 2002, he played at Toledo and ran a 4.58 at 211lbs, Gerhart ran 4.53 at 230lbs.

Here's his seasons with Minnesota when Peterson was starting:

2007 AP - 238/1341 5.6ypc, Taylor - 157/844 5.4ypc
2008 AP - 363/1760 4.8ypc, Taylor - 101/399 4.0ypc
2009 AP - 314/1383 4.4ypc, Taylor - 94/338 3.6ypc

Taylor was getting a lot of carries.

Gerhart did get 81 carries in 2010, but 50 of those carries were from 3 games late in the season when AP had a hurt ankle. Gerhart ran for 22/76(3.45ypc) on the Redskins, 12/54(4.5ypc) on the Bills, and 16/77(4.81) on the Bears showing that he is capable of performing. Aside from those 3 games he got the ball 4 or less carries per game last season. This season he is hardly getting the ball at all.

Kaptain

Master
Rotoworld's never-ending pessimism and outright racism against any white skill position player continues. They also take an undeserved shot at Brian Leonard. Now why oh why out of literally hundreds of RBs to negatively compare Gerhart to did they chose Brian Leonard. Nothing to see here please disperse.

"Gerhart was the Vikings' first-team tailback after the Peterson injury, but we're not sure he's even worth picking up in fantasy leagues. Running as if his feet were stuck in mud and possessing no lateral agility, Gerhart had the look of an early-career Brian Leonard. With the Falcons' top-five run defense next on tap, Gerhart will be relatively low down waiver-wire priority lists. "

bigunreal

Mentor
Out of morbid curiosity, I ventued into some Vikings forums on the net, to see what the pervailing view is on Toby Gerhart. Shockingly, the DWF mentality is in full swing on all of them- very hard to find a single positive comment about him.

They each seem to feel that Toby doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL back. No comments about him swtiching to FB, but there were a few who actually lobbied for activating the inept Caleb King from the practice squad to "see what he can do." Yeah, like you've all had a chance to see what Toby can do. They all, again shockingly, seem to love the always underwhelming and overrated Harvin and want him to be the primary ball carrier (although a few wanted to see Joe Webb in the backfield!)

They are right about one thing, however- it certainly was a wasted draft pick by the Vikings. And as I've noted many times, I don't see how anyone can provide a rational explanation for trading up to draft a player when you clearly and unequivocally have no intention of every giving him a substantial role.

That's where we stand- even when the starting RB is injured, a college star like Gerhart, who was drafted high by the Vikings for supposedly just this purpose. is still not assured of getting the most touches out of the backfield. And, of course, even if he does, "his" fans will not be rooting for him.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I just hope Toby performs well during Peterson's absence from the line up. As long as he plays well, he will help himself...to hell with the DWFs.

JReb1

Mentor
A decent writeup for Toby on Yahoo fantasy.

Strong Buy Adrian Peterson's wrenched ankle elevates backup into catbird seat Toby Gerhart (RB) Minnesota Vikings

Watching your most prized possession's ankle bend awkwardly is an event every owner fears. Unfortunately for consensus top-five pick Peterson, that nightmare became a reality. The Purple Hey-Zeus suffered a Grade 1 high ankle sprain in Sunday's loss to Oakland, an injury that typically sidelines backs for multiple weeks (See Jones, Felix). Now it's Gerhart's time to shine. The former Stanford standout doesn't have the explosiveness of AD, but his between-the-tackles brawn and versatility is nothing to scoff at. In limited work this season he's averaged a potent 4.9 yards per carry. Still, despite his powerful build and expanded workload, he's only a flex option in 12-teamers this week. The Vikes travel to Atlanta to face a Falcons defense that has allowed just 3.6 yards per carry to RBs this year. However, with a fairly favorable playoff schedule (at Det, NO, at Wash), Gerhart is worth a grab. If Peterson doesn't heal quickly, the backup could bear RB2 fruits during the most critical juncture of the season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm debating on whether to start Toby in my fantasy team this week. It is either going to be him or a 4th wideout.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would love for Gerhart to have a big game to shut up the critics. You would think that they would believe in him after his stellar college career. I really hope he gets out of Minnesota at the first chance. I wonder if San Diego would reconsider having him on their team and make a run to get him when he becomes a free agent. He is the perfect fit for their offense and he would feel right at home playing back in California again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gerhart had a very good game when he started against Washington last year when Peterson was hurt, and he's averaging 4.9 yards per carry this year in limited action. All the negative opinion toward him shows that the attitudes of the DWFs have changed very little in the aftermath of the success last season of Hillis and Woodhead. They still expect Whites in "black" positions to fail. The Cultural Marxist media have done very well in brainwashing the White masses.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I would love for Gerhart to have a big game to shut up the critics. You would think that they would believe in him after his stellar college career. I really hope he gets out of Minnesota at the first chance. I wonder if San Diego would reconsider having him on their team and make a run to get him when he becomes a free agent. He is the perfect fit for their offense and he would feel right at home playing back in California again.

i think it's more realistic to hope for Gore to somehow leave/burn out and Gerhart to go to play for Harbaugh. San Diego has a white RB who's being jerked around even worse than him.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Who cares what the DWF's think, if that mattered then in the rare cases they supported white players the team would listen to them (Hillis in Denver!) The Vikings need to give Gerhart the rock and see what happens. Their season is crap and if he does anything good they might have trade bait. Heck Hillis got Denver Brady Quinn.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm happy for Toby to get this chance, despite the caste media being against him. I hope he runs wild through the Faclons defense.

Roto-rooter's latest blurb about Toby reads: "When Peterson missed Week 15 of last season, Gerhart rushed 16 times for 77 yards and added three catches for 18 yards in a loss to the Bears. This time, he gets a Falcons defense that has been smothering folks against the run of late and is giving up just 3.8 yards per carry on the year. Still, Gerhart is worth an add in all formats as he's a good bet for 15-20 touches as long as Peterson sits. And with the Vikings at 2-8, they may err on the side of caution with their franchise back."

seattlefan

Guru
Latest news story says Peterson may be out several weeks: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/134294173.html

I don't know if this is guaranteed, but it would be great to have Toby get several weeks of starts. The downside is that the teams Minnesota are playing against the next few weeks are some tough defenses. Atlanta, next week, has allowed the 2nd least rushing yards per game this season. After that, it's Denver, then Detroit. Really hoping he puts in a good performance on Sunday.

seattlefan

Guru
Something tells me Minnesota might not even run the ball much since they are playing a good run defense, and their feature back is injured. Might just pass it most plays.

foobar75

Master
This is what we've been waiting for. If Gerhart gets 15-20 carries and is able to produce, that'll be great. But reading that article, it sounds like a 3-way committee approach featuring Harvin and this bum Booker. We'll find out just how racist the MIN coaching staff is depending on how they use the only legit back they have on the roster with AP out.

Status
Not open for further replies.