Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain

Master
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who suffered a serious high ankle sprain during the Vikings' 27-21 loss to the Raiders, said Wednesday he expects to play against the Falcons on Sunday.
Peterson, who was in a walking boot but not limping Wednesday, expects to practice by Friday and be ready to go Sunday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/134433793.html

With any luck he will start and get hurt worse. I've watched most of the Vikings games and since Gerhart has been there I've never seen a rb so determined to play every down no matter what as AP. He now whines all the time about not getting the ball enough - something he wouldn't do when Chester Taylor was there.

Highlander

Mentor
I've watched most of the Vikings games and since Gerhart has been there I've never seen a rb so determined to play every down no matter what as AP. He now whines all the time about not getting the ball enough - something he wouldn't do when Chester Taylor was there.
Absolutely. Gerhart's biggest role right now, in the eyes of the coaches, is in motivating AP. I think they even see this, as it is so obvious to me and others. That's where Gerhart's biggest value (to them) is. That's how he earns his keep (to them).

If Gerhart wasn't behind him on the depth chart, then AP's motivation to succeed probably wouldn't be the same. He'd most likey just be shucking and jiving with some of his homies on the bench, not caring, but no, he is at the front edge of the sidelines, eyes glued to Gerhart.

It should be obvious to coaches that if you really wanted to motivate black players to focus intensely and play hard on every down, just put a White player right behind them (or in front of them) on the depth chart. That will awake and ignite the profound hatred they have just lying under their surface and use the energy derived from this profound (and unjustified) hatred to perform at their fullest potential.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Yeah its amazing how Peterson went from 18 fumbles in 2 seasons (including post season) to 2 in the past 2 seasons with Gerhart behind him.

I hate to bother Jaxvid again but it seems like Peterson would be a good player to put in his avatar hah.

Thanks for putting Maclin, looks like its working. He practiced yesterday but didn't practice today saying his hamstring was worse than his separated shoulder and will most likely miss the game against the Patriots. Looks like he is being motivated by a White backup as well, trying to come back with a separated shoulder and hamstring issues.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby rips off 100+ yards & multiple TDs tomorrow against the Falcons coal black defense (sans Kroy B). :)

JOHNBULLIVAN

Toby has proven when they (sparingly) give him the ball that he can be an effective NFL running back. The man was a monster in college and I would love to see him succeed. Averaging 4.9 a carry this year and 4.2 career, not too shabby for an nfl back.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Toby Gerhart - RB - Vikings

NFL.com's Michael Lombardi says that Toby Gerhart "looks too slow to ever be a full-time back, or even a good short-yardage back for the Vikings."

We know that Gerhart isn't very good, but he's on the fantasy radar thanks to his workloads when Adrian Peterson sits. Gerhart got 21 touches yesterday and 19 when Peterson missed Week 15 last year. If Peterson's ankle isn't ready to play against the Broncos in Week 13, Gerhart is looking at another 16-22 touches.

Source: NFL.com

no ****in comment....

Last edited:

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
backrow, that is truly a pitiful excuse for sports writing. There is no bias or agenda here at all, nothing to see, move along, etc.

Not a word about the horrible o-line play or the nominee for worst of the season play calling award.

backrow

Hall of Famer
what's truly pathetic is that they didn't even mention Harvin's output in the very same game, 5 attempts for 2.2 average with a long of 3...

wile

Master
Yesterday the Milwaukee Journal had a video advert for a fantasy football site and they were ok with Toby. Not totally negative out there beyond CF.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
what's truly pathetic is that they didn't even mention Harvin's output in the very same game, 5 attempts for 2.2 average with a long of 3...

Great point! The double standard is so obvious for those who care to look for it.

Yesterday the Milwaukee Journal had a video advert for a fantasy football site and they were ok with Toby. Not totally negative out there beyond CF.

That is good to hear, wile!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby completely destroys Dumervil and Miller. I'm tired of hearing how great their defense is.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby completely destroys Dumervil and Miller. I'm tired of hearing how great their defense is.

ditto man, however Miller is having a surprisingly good rookie year. he's 4th in the league in sacks, and i think defensive rookie of the year will be an affair between him and Kerrigan, maybe Watt as well or dare i say Brooks Reed with a few more great games? Miller needs to slump!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AneDnhMoF9y1Yr2MW2rQpXFzTrt_?slug=ap-vikings-gerhartsshot This is a total hit-piece on Toby, with such great lines as "he will get you 2 or 3 yards, and sometimes 10 or 12 yards" or "Toby is a down field runner" just a total joke that this is someone calling themselves a journalist.
That is not the journalist, that is a quote from coach Leslie Frazier. The same coach Frazier that said Eric Decker has deceptive speed and is a good route runner. He also has attributed Deckers touchdowns this year due to single coverage because everybody is playing the run against Denver. (The same reason Jordy Nelson is having success. All the attention is on other players, leaving nobody to cover them. )

backrow

Hall of Famer
Peterson might be back, as he will do everything not to get a chance for Toby to prove himself further. Frazier is being optimistic that he may be available, i hope he does rush it back and gets injured on the first play from scrimmage.

foobar75

Master
Peterson might be back, as he will do everything not to get a chance for Toby to prove himself further.

This is absolutely true. Think about it, the Vikings are 2-10, their season is done. These last 4 games are an excellent opportunity to give some of the back-ups and young players a chance to play and showcase their skills for next year. It can be for a roster spot with the Vikes or some other team. If you have any banged up starters, especially your 100 million dollar running back, what purpose does it serve to play them in meaningless games? You either limit their minutes, or if they are banged up, just shelve them for the year.

But no, we can't have Gerhart rush for a couple of 100 yard games, oh the horror! Has anyone seen that crazy, wide-eyed look on Petersen's face whenever he takes a breather on the sidelines, so Gerhart can get his customary 1-2 carries a game? AP seems determined to make sure Toby gets virtually no chance to run the ball.

Plus, there was a report that Fraizer, easily one of the worst coaches in the NFL, will be back next season. Gerhart cannot afford another lost year, so he must get out of MIN at any cost. If possible, he should try and go back to SF and play for his college coach. He can go in there as a backup to Frank Gore, but Gore is not a very durable back. There may be plenty of opportunities for Toby to run the ball there. Either that, or one of several White friendly teams that could use a back like him (IND, NE, GB).

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Peterson might be back, as he will do everything not to get a chance for Toby to prove himself further. Frazier is being optimistic that he may be available, i hope he does rush it back and gets injured on the first play from scrimmage.

Yeah I don't like to see anyone injured but if Peterson plays it would serve him right to have that happen. The team is going nowhere and needs to see what the backups and young guys can do. If Gerhart was black there would be no question that they would rest Peterson again. As it is I am almost sure he will play.

icsept

Master
Until Peterson's injury, Gergart was on the bench collecting dust and growing rust. He looked much better against the Broncos than he did in his first start against Atlanta. It is probable that if he starts against Detroit, he will have the best game of his career. If the Vikings showcase him, then maybe he will have some trade value. He has no future in Minnesota. At 24, he is only two years younger than Peterson. Peterson has a lot more wear and tear, but probably has 4 more good seasons in him. Gerhart is in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract, so unless he's traded he'll ride the bench for two more years. At that time, Peterson will still only be 28 and still not willing to share carries; Gerhart will be a free agent and sign with another team. Otherwise, his only hope is more Peterson injuries.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gerhart is certainly in a bad spot. After four years of backing up Peterson, he will be so typecast as a "slow" backup that it'll be very difficult for him to get a chance as a free agent to play more anywhere else.

Toby definitely needs a few more Peterson injuries. After running for 44 yards on 17 carries against Atlanta, the media haters were out in full force, but after a very good showing against Denver, they don't have much to say now except for grudging respect by some.

Truthteller

Mentor
Yeah I don't like to see anyone injured but if Peterson plays it would serve him right to have that happen. The team is going nowhere and needs to see what the backups and young guys can do. If Gerhart was black there would be no question that they would rest Peterson again. As it is I am almost sure he will play.

I think Peterson is rushing back for 2 reasons: Obviously he doesn't want the blue-eyed devil from the "Ivy League of the West" to show him up and showcase his skills. More important, I think he wants to make sure he gets 1,000 yards for the season --he's at 872. Once he gets 1,000, my guess is his work load will be decreased significantly -- or should be to protect him for the future, as the Vikes are 2-10. Stats are very important to prima-donna affletes, particularly RB's and WR's when it comes to 1,000 yards and double digit TD's -- he has 11 TD's.

Also, when Toby does become a free agent, anyone here think his old college, who is now in San Francisco, might want to bring him in?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Truthteller, I'm not sure if Harbaugh would or not. Maybe it would be a good fit if he gave him a chance to be "the man" there, but it is a crap shoot as to whether that would happen or not. I'm hoping Toby has one more week to showcase his talents this season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Based on Harbaugh's very enthusiastic embracing of the Caste System in San Fran, I can't see it. He's one of the NFL coaches I now dislike the most. His manic posturing is embarrassing, but that seems to be understood to be the norm now for White NFL coaches. Pete Carroll's pushing 60 and acts the same way, as do others. Instead of acting dignified the idea is to be one of the (black) boys. I guess we can "thank" Bill Cowher for bringing such classlessness into the league. Pathetic.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't fault Harbaugh so soon.
He had white receivers, running backs, DBs, everything at Stanford.
But he's only been in SF one year. He's had to make due with what was already there, which was mostly black players.
And to his credit, he's really turned that team around.

Status
Not open for further replies.