Steve Nash

white tornado

Mentor
Steve had 30 Points 8 boards 9 assists. Before the game the "experts" were talking about Steve Falling off without Amare. This is the Year Steve prove how great he is.

JoeV

Guru
white tornado said:
This is the Year Steve prove how great he is.
This year maybe he can get two MVP awards! I understand your point though.

Before the game the "experts" were talking about Steve Falling off without Amare.

Heck I would be more worried about how the Suns (and Nash) don't have Quentin Richardson or Joe Johnson (the shooting guard, I hope that is his name, he was traded to the Hawks). Anyhow Nash was a good player long before Amare Stoudamire was even in the NBA.

JoeV

Guru
Mark Price could dunk, he just never did it either. Guys like Price and Nash just do the grunt work on the outside, and collect awards. Then people say it was racism that a white guy gets the MVP award. Maybe the writers are smarter than we give them credit.

JD074

Master
I think there are some shorter guys who could dunk when their legs are fresh, but not during an exhausting NBA game. Who wants to get embarrassed by potentially missing a dunk? Iverson can dunk, but usually I see him do a finger roll instead. I don't know if Nash can dunk. I think I remember Jason Williams dunking early in his career, and Fred Hoiberg can definitely dunk, as a couple of examples of shorter white players with "hops."

ch2sagana

Why should Steve Nash try to dunk and make a fool out himself and worse, sustain an injury? There is far more to basketball than dunking the ball and Nash (as well Price before),is smart enough to know he is better off honing his passing and shooting skills than indulging in the folly of cage machismo. Telling Nash to dunk is like tellingShaq to take a three-point shot.

Maybe the rest of the world is not yet ready to wrestthe NBAfrom the Americans but it may come sooner than many think. Too much obsession on dunks andhotdog plays as well asinadequate fundamentals are plaguing American basketball thus the drop in the level of play. Sure players today are more athletically gifted but they are inferior basketball players to their predecessors who were rich in fundamentals andequipped with the J (jumpshot)! Allen Iverson's 30 ppg on 40% fg should not be confused with George Gervin's 30 ppg on 50% fg.

Bart

Hall of Famer
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=41536

If this keeps up, I'll vote for Nash as MVP again
December 7, 2005

We in the media were scolded, repeatedly, for last year's MVP vote. I, for one, publicly displayed my ballot and revealed that I had Steve Nash first, and Shaquille O'Neal second. For that, I was told I was wrong, misguided and racist.

(snip )

Nash is the reason the Suns won 62 last year, and he is proving that this year. Heck, if this keeps up, those of us in the media might have to be racist idiots once more and vote for Nash again.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Phoenix has won nine straight games with Stevedoing his thing. I guess Amare wasn'tas critical to the their success as thought.Way to go Steve.
smiley32.gif

Realistic

I watched a few minutes of the Suns last night and it seemed like he
accounted for about 10 or 12 straight points, either scoring or making
passes for easy shots by his teamates. Without him in there they
resorted to dribbling and backing in..

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Any chance Nash will win the MVP again?

I don't think there is any way he will win it, considering the uproar in the media and among the players that he won because he is white.

This ESPN article makes a good case that he is more deserving this year than last, but like I said, I don't think it will matter. We can't have a white man win the Most Valuable Player Award two years in a row, playing a black man's game.

Nash MVP Article

guest301

Hall of Famer
I think there are three main candidates for NBA MVP this year. Two of them are white. Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups.

whiteCB

Master
Steve Nash is this year's MVP. Kobe will win it only if the Lakers start some long winning streak that gets the media pumped up about them and LeBron just won't win it as its not his time yet. Chanucey is more of just a shoe in guy becuase his team is winning so many games. Nash will win the MVP as long as the Suns keep on keepin on and Kobe doesn't score 80 points in a game again.

nhl411

Guru
I read that article and I thought their claim that stoudemire is quicker/faster than Nash was ridiculous. He's quick for a big man but come on, a 6'10'' 250 pounder being faster than the best point guard in the game? LUDICROUS

Bart

Hall of Famer
Nash and Billupspertinent per gamestat comparisons for MVP: Red highlights indicate the better numbers.The Pistonswould be slightlydisadvantagedwithout Billups in the lineup. Without Nash the Sunsarehopeless.

Nash - Pts. 19.0 Reb. 4.2 Asst. 10.5 FG% 51.0 3 Pt% 42.7 FT% 92.4

Billups - Pts.18.8 Reb. 3.2 Asst. 8.7 FG% 41.6 3 Pt% 43.5 FT% 90.4

pt.guard

That's an excellent point. And if you look at the won lost record of the Suns with and without Nash, it is even more apparent.

In my opinion, Steve Nash is having an even better year this year than last year, with Stoudemire out. I would give Billups an advantage as far as one on one defensive goes, but Nash is not nearly as bad on defense as he is made out to be in the media....

LeBron has been getting some hype as well, since he has led his team into the playoffs for the first time....

Bart

Hall of Famer
pt.guard said:
That's an excellent point. And if you look at the won lost record of the Suns with and without Nash, it is even more apparent.

True to form. Steve didn't play last night and the Suns were smoked by the lowly Warriors.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I think Nash is having another outstanding year, but I'm pulling for Dirk to win MVP. I know it is sort of a long shot, but I just feel he is the MVP for this year, because he has no other all stars or even players close to all stars on his team while Nash still does have a guy like Shawn Marion who is a very good player.. but I'd be very happy if either won the MVP..

JD074

Master
Bart said:
Nash    -  Pts. 19.0</font> </font> Reb. 4.2 </font> Asst. 10.5</font>  FG% 51.0</font>  3 Pt%  42.7  FT% 92.4 </font>

Woah! Man have I been out of the loop! Those are incredible numbers. 19 and 10, 51% from the field- as a point guard- and 92% from the stripe. Wow.

Bart said:
FG% 41.6  3 Pt%  43.5</font> 

That's unusual.

The shooting numbers remind me of Stockton's, except Steve shoots it
more.

whiteCB

Master
I too heard Nash has won the MVP again as was reported by various Phoenix area newspapers. If this is true what an accomplishment for Steve to win back to back MVPs. Not many players can say that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The MVP Award still hasn't been given out yet has it? I'm hoping it will be Steve again and want to run a prominent story on the CF homepage about it but haven't heard any news since the article mentioned above over a week ago.