RB - Sam McGuffie

G

McGuffie said that Rodriguez hasn't contacted him, but has called other recruits. He's now talking to other schools.

SteveB

Mentor
I believe that he is coming to A&M. New Aggie coach Mike Sherman has been talking with him and as I said before, most of the kids from the Cy-Fair area go on to college at A&M. The only reason that he is going to Michigan is because his Dad is from there and a big fan.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Texas A & M would be great but I still would love to see him go play at Notre Dame! It would be so cool to get to watch Sam play week after week on national tv. How could any school compare with the nation exposure he would get running the ball for the fighting irish.

I still have my fingers crossed. He needs to be on tv and shine on the national stage. It would open up his doorway to a first round draft pick in the nfl draft several years from now.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
It looks like Jackson could be re-hired with another assisstant, why would you fire someone to hire him back later?

Fred Jackson was rehired, I guess someone told Rodriguez that he'd lose people, especially McGuffie, if he fired him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I am trying to be an optimist and I would tell Sam to stay for a year at Michigan, especially if Fred Jackson is brought back as an assistant. If McGuffie goes to A&M he will probably kiss his dreams goodbye of ever having a chance to be a first or second round NFL draft pick. That is the only way a white would ever have a chance to become a starter in today's NFL at RB in our white hating sports culture. A&M just doesn't have the market pull or star power of Michigan. Michigan has traditionally great O-lines and I am convinced Sam could win the Heisman there if he ever sees the field. Stay a year at Michigan Sam and see what happens! Michigan had no other top RB recruits this year other than Sam. But if Notre Dame offers, he has to jump on their offer!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Gi-15 said:
It looks like Jackson could be re-hired with another assisstant, why would you fire someone to hire him back later?

Fred Jackson was rehired, I guess someone told Rodriguez that he'd lose people, especially McGuffie, if he fired him.

Great news; Sam has to stay!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
McGuffie a fit for Rodriguez's offense

Josh Helmholdt
TheWolverine.com

When the retirement of Lloyd Carr was announced, the questions about how the recruiting class of 2008 would be affected started to pour in. One of the favorite topics of discussion was the future of Houston (Tex.) Cy-Fair running back Sam McGuffie who electrified the Michigan fan base with his highlight reel runs.

Cy-Fair head football coach Ed Pustejovsky talked with his star running back several times over the past four weeks about Carr's retirement and gauged his response.

Is anyone a Rivals subscriber who could get the rest of this article. I hate Rivals, but this looks to be an interesting article

Riddlewire

Master
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I am trying to be an optimist and I would tell Sam to stay for a year at Michigan, especially if Fred Jackson is brought back as an assistant. If McGuffie goes to A&M he will probably kiss his dreams goodbye of ever having a chance to be a first or second round NFL draft pick. That is the only way a white would ever have a chance to become a starter in today's NFL at RB in our white hating sports culture.
He's got to get on the field first. No chance of that with Rodriguez at the helm. It doesn't matter what assistants are on the staff.
Look at the backfields Rodriguez has built and the underclassmen at West Virginia AND his current recruits. All black. And you can't counter with "Yeah, but Schmidt...". McGuffie obviously won't be playing the role of fullback.
I'm not sure A&M is much better. They're going to be in a bad way for a little while. And I know nothing about Sherman's player philosophies. Obviously Sam should go to a major BCS school. He's too good not to. But every place is a risk. The only safe way to guarantee playing time as a starting tailback would be to go mid-major to a traditionally white program. Although even those are starting to fall under the long dark shadow of the Caste System (the rapidly blackening Utah).
Maybe Sam should just go play for a school that no other running backs want to go to. Hawaii, Tulsa, Texas Tech
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sherman was one of the worst in the NFL while at Green Bay, and that's saying something given the complexion of the average NFL team. Rodriguez's teams haven't been as black as some, but only because the program slipped a bit and it was difficult to get as many affletes from Florida as he wanted. White high school stars at "black" positions are going to have to learn what programs to go to or else countless more will continue to get screwed in college and have no shot at the NFL.

Gi-15

Mentor
Yeah, finnally I dont like A&M this much as a destination. They have a good one in Mike Goodson who's a junior. He wont see the field much, and if he can't make a quick impression, he'll be switched of forgotten...

ND whould be the perfect choice, Or let's hope RR isn't as bad as Riddlewire says...

whiteCB

Master
Gi-15 said:
Yeah, finnally I dont like A&M this much as a destination. They have a good one in Mike Goodson who's a junior. He wont see the field much, and if he can't make a quick impression, he'll be switched of forgotten...

ND whould be the perfect choice, Or let's hope RR isn't as bad as Riddlewire says...

ND has an awful o-line though that would make for some tough running.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
Sam making an impression at the Army All American practices:

McGuffie's Nickname is "Circus Act"

Another article: Vaulting into Stardom

It makes you wonder how many McGuffie's there are out there that are never noticed.

Did anyone else notice the great news within the "Vaulting into Stardom" article? It revealed that rich rodriguez has indeed retained Michigan RB coach, the same one that recruited Sam, on the staff. i was nervous about Rich coming in but now knowing that the RB coach who just loves sam is staying makes me feel alot better about the whole situation.

Gi-15

Mentor
i think the real good news here is that Sam indeed talked to RR and he seem satisfied and confortable in that situation. I wish him nothing but quick success

johnnyboy

Guru
hey guys did anyone see the game? how did he do? i missed it (work)? any info would be great. thanks.

GO SAM!!!!!!!!!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I saw the very end of the game and he had a long run for 30 or 40 yards.
I must admit just seeing that one run, you could see that he is really quick, fast and explosive.
He got the ball going one way, cut back, and accelerated explosively into the open field.
He was impressive in that one run.
I wonder if there are highlights on youtube or espn?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jacknyc said:
I saw the very end of the game and he had a long run for 30 or 40 yards.

I turned on NBC for the Seahawks-Redskins pre-game just as McGuffie made his 33 yard run. Sweet!

Michael Floyd caught a long TD pass a few plays later. The Notre Dame recruit had a big game, although from what I could tell QB Terrelle Pryor got most of the hype. In fact here's how the Dallas Morning News starts its report on the game: Terrelle Pryor has been billed as the next coming of Vince Young, and he looked the part Saturday at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl high school all-star game.

I guess that was meant as a compliment as Pryor ended up with 76 yards passing and 79 yards rushing, so his 155 total yards indeed was very Vince Young-like.

Riddlewire

Master
I watched the game.
Sam got little action. Two carries were all I saw. One was stopped at the line, and the other was the long run near the end. He also had two decent kickoff returns.
The West playcalling was horrible. I bet they threw the ball on 90% of the plays.
It was a dull game. Pryor played the part of Pat White. He ran through lanes so big and open that Michael Moore could have gained 15 yards. That didn't stop the announcers from crediting him for the plays, though. It was sickening.
The Under Armor game was a better game, although there were fewer white players in it. But that Glennon kid looked great.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is all Michigan needs is a running black QB while McGuffie is there. It would make perfect Caste sense.
smiley5.gif