RB - Sam McGuffie

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Some of the locals here in Ann Arbor are asking about McGuffie and whether he will still come to Michigan now that Carr is leaving. Really, I don't think most of the fans realize he is white, McGuffies' non-obvious-ethnic name will let him skate under the fan radar for a while.

Two of the names being mentioned to replace Carr, LSU's Miles and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz should be amenable to a white RB, Miles has Hester, and Ferentz has always been white friendly. Also mentioned is Bob Stoops, unfortunately.
smiley18.gif

Riddlewire

Master
Stonewall said:
SteveB or anyone else in the know: Can Sam make the kind of impact that Alex Smith did for Indiana as a freshman back in 1994? Smith came out of tiny Franklin County High School and was virtually unknown outside of Indiana. Nonetheless, he ran for 1,475 yards his freshman year. He was about the same size as McGuffie, 6 feet, 205 pounds. Smith was the AP Freshman of the Year.

Smith's career fizzled due to injuries, and despite opting to enter the NFL Draft after his junior year he never played in the league.. To this day, I attribute it to overuse. He routinely ran the ball 35-45 times per game. I would hope that a major program would not overuse Sam.
Sam's skills are unparalleled. Lots of players can change direction quickly like 'Reggie Bush'. But nobody combines the acceleration, speed, agility (change of direction), moves (spin, hurdle, juke), and size that Sam has all in one package. Technically speaking, there's no reason he can't be the greatest running back in the history of the sport. Name a trait or skill needed by an elite running back, and Sam has it at the highest level.All of that is of very little consequence, though. Luck will be the determining factor in whether or not Sam will become a legend. He's going to need to end up in the right situation. If Carr's replacement doesn't want him, then Sam will sit the bench for four years. If the new coach uses a Texas Tech style of offense, then Sam will be effective, but not an 'impact player' as you were asking about. Sam should consider these matters carefully before signing day. Michigan is a great football program, but it may no longer be the right place for him. It all depends on the next coach. If it's Les Miles, then I think Sam would be safe. Miles clearly doesn't have a problem utilizing a white running back. And he's not a 'bombs away' type of coach, either. If they go for a coordinator, that's a red flag. There's no telling how that will work out. Those guys have no head coaching history, and you can't tell for sure what their tendencies will be.
As for Sam's first year, it's unlikely that he would be a dominant force as a freshman. Not at Michigan. They're losing key players, and it's not really a team built around a homerun rushing threat (like Arkansas or West Virginia). He'll have to impress in the chances he does get and hope that they gradually restructure the offense around him (much like his high school team is).

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
By way guys: Sam McGuffie has now moved out of the Rivals 250
smiley7.gif
and is (not kidding) also ranked as a 3 star player by ESPN's sh*t Scouts INC organization (run by Tony Kornheiser types) and given a 79 rating (Meaning he doesn't show dominance against top competition and should only be a role player for a top tier program not a featured player); I've already barfed myself out thinking about the sickness of these white loathing phony scouts, I don't think I can get anymore angry than I was a couple days ago when I saw this.
smiley7.gif

Edited to add: if the establishment can really get away with unfairness to whites to this extreme even when the general public have seen Sam's off the chart talent (Along with the Jena 6 being called heros by most blacks) like this then America is truly going down the tubes. Whites are becoming second class citizens if that, hopefully this will wake people up!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

SteveB

Mentor
I can't see how they (Scouts Inc and Rivals) can get away with this without losing credibility. Sam is a hero in the Houston area, everyone that watches the local news knows who he is. He is probably the most well known high school player nationwide. People can see the talent and it is undeniable.

He doesn't show dominance??? WTF is 273 yds in a playoff game? It's not like he was playing some bad 1A school.Edited by: SteveB

White Power

Mentor
These web sites lose credibility with their stupid white fans if they prop up are talk up a white prospect. Many of them are liberal hacks they feed into the B.S. about blacks being superior athletes. Do not sweat this Stuff because many fans know the truth about these players, and what keeps happening to them. Sam will go to a major college be a star, and shut all of the freaking mouths up in the end. Just let it roll off of your back they want us the informed fan to get pissed. If we do then they think they have won. Don't let it get to you my freinds we know the truth about Sam. Rivals will never ever give a white super star athlete a break they live to put down their own kind. Rivals = caste loving whores.Edited by: White Power

REDNOSE

Guru
One thing we don't have to worry about is ole Sammy tucking his tail between his legs and switching positions. His confidence is a breath of fresh air that needs to permeate to many of our other fellow athletes. Sam WILL be a major player barring injury and has a chance to blow the doors off the caste system with the added contributions of players such as Hester and Jake Sharp. Coaches and most white fans are sheep that are followers of the latest fashions. Look at the copycat league with teams switching offenses on a yearly basis at every turn. We are making progress gentlemen, and coaches will no longer be able to demote or move whites out of their natural positons if players such as Sam and the many others continue to succeed.

Stonewall

Guru
I know the liberal talking heads question Sam's size. How tall is he and what's he weighing now? Any info on strength, max bench and 225 rep test? Thanks.

SteveB

Mentor
I don't think his size is much of an issue now. When he first became well known was his sophomore year when he was 5-10, 175 and ran a 4.32 40 at the Nike combine. At that time, everyone said he was too small to be a D1 back.

Since then he has grown to around 6', 195 lbs and still has the same speed and explosiveness. Last year he was 2nd in the long jump at the state track championships and ran a sub 14 sec 110h during the track season. I think that his bench max is around 350 lbs.

Someone told me that his dad is around 6'3" tall, so he may have some more growing to do.

Edited by: SteveB

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I really hope he doesn't grow any taller, I think he's 5'11.5 currently. With the way he explodes through holes being smaller might actually help b/c he can hide behind the o-line before making a cut and exploding through. Most top NFL RBs are 6 foot or under. Barry Sanders 5'8, Brian Westbrook 5'8, Priest Holmes 5'9, Tiki 5'10, Tomlinson 5'11, Shaun Alexander 6'0, Larry Johnson 6'0 etc. etc. Size only becomes an issue for white players, b/c they are always considered only to be brute power runners/FBs.
smiley7.gif
Being small helps a scat back. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

whiteCB

Master
Stonewall said:
I know the liberal talking heads question Sam's size. How tall is he and what's he weighing now? Any info on strength, max bench and 225 rep test? Thanks.

I know a ton of conservatives who also buy into the mantra that only blacks are good at WR, DB, RB, ect... It's all white people, regardless of political affiliation, that buy into this white inferiority crap. Believe me look at neo-conservative Bowdens and look at how ultra caste loving whores they are.

Also SteveB so how much coverage exactly is McGuffie getting. It sounds like he's pretty popular down there despite not going to a Texas college.Edited by: whiteCB

Stonewall

Guru
That's a good point, WhiteCB.. The talking heads who I heard speaking happened to be liberal, but I can personally relate to what you are talking about.

SteveB or anyone else with knoweldge, is McGuffie taking a hard look at not going to Michigan?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This is a long post, but I was really thinking about this dire situation. If Michigan goes for the black coordinator, I'd be worried. Being a black man he is probably cohesively pro black. In this particular case, if he realizes that McGuffie is as good as he is, he may realize how this could open the door for white kids to play RB in the future. Kind of like how the success of the Patriots may make GMs think more highly of white players, or the success of Urlacher helped revive the white LB a bit. Success leads to trends. It depends on the nature of this man; he could be a Dungy or Crennel type who is fair minded, or he could be a Lovie Smith, Dennis Greene or Marvin Lewis type.

McGuffie is so good, I think he is going to stir things up and weaken the caste system a little! If McGuffie goes on to win the Heisman and become a Ladamian Tomlinson caliber player in the NFL, which in my opinion barring injury "could" very well happen (I know it's a little early to predict this, but IMO he is so good and confident that they will have to give him a chance) Then anyone with understanding of genes will realize that there may not be another white McGuffie, but if the white race can produce this caliber of an athlete than by logic it is certainly "likely" that there is a white Marion Barber, Lawrence Maroney etc. etc (guys that are good, but not superstars). They may start to think "maybe the white gene pool is more diverse, but certainly if there is a McGuffie than there are probably other whites RBs with NFL talent!" Coaches will than be able to point to the success of McGuffie and not look foolish in the Drunken fans and liberal media's eyes for starting a white HB.

If I were Sam I would get the coach to promise me some playing time freshman year and then tell the coach I am going to show you what I'm capable of and expect to be the man by next year. He'll have to feel out the situation, if he doesn't like what happens, he should transfer after freshman year. I could see a transfer to Notre Dame if he has decent grades.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I know I'm gonna hear the Sehorn or McCaffrey argument, but the McGuffie situation may be different. Sehorn only had one superstar year in 1997 and then became only a decent player because of his weak knee and was mocked by Giant's fans as "a sissy" b/c he was always injured.

McCaffrey may very well have made people "re-think" the idea of having more white WRs, but he had a relatively short heyday. He didn't start until he was 31 and then retired at 37 or so after breaking his leg. McCaffrey's career wasn't quite hall of fame caliber.

I think McGuffie has more a chance to dent the caste system if he can have a long career, b/c his skills are simply mesmerizing. It is also easier to judge a RB than a WR. I hear Eagle's fans say about Curtis, "yeah he's put up pretty good stats, but is inconsistent and most of the time doesn't get open". They probably aren't even watching Curtis on plays he doesn't get thrown to, as he is probably open a lot!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you make it out like McGuffie is the 'only' white running back out there who has special talent... do you really believe that? i certainly hope not.

this forum is filled with other white tailbacks who have phenomenal talent, not only this year, but in years past. McGuffie is VERY, VERY good, but it's not like he's some genetic quirk that has never been seen before and will never be seen again.

Sam is getting national attention (such as it is with the cast whores at rivals, scout, etc.), but that is the only thing that makes him unique. he is hardly the pinnacle of white genetic ability.

if he helps put a crack in the caste system, or even destroys it, i will be exceedingly happy. but don't think for a second that Sam is the ONLY white high school tailback who is gifted enough to do so.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
LSU losing makes for a much better chance that LSU coach Les Miles will go to Michigan. If that's the case then McGuffie might be better off to stay at Michigan then go elsewhere. Miles has treated Hester pretty good so the same should go for Sam.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
JC, that's not what I'm saying at all. I truly think the HB position in the NFL should be about 60% white, 30-35% black, which shows I think it should be a white majority position. I just simply think that McGuffie is the white Barry Sanders I didn't think existed. McGuffie plays with the awe dropping moves that I have only seen in Barry Sanders, Noel Divine and clips of Gale Sayers. Whites "probably have" better initial acceleration than blacks and are certainly better at breaking tackles on average than blacks IMO. But I have never seen a white dude cut the way Sam does without slowing down "at all". Only three blacks cut that way; Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers and Noel Divine! To go along with everything else Sam has 4.3 speed!

Good white RBs are usually great cutback power runners. There are plenty of great white Steven Jacksons (Jesse Lumsden is a Jackson clone), Larry Johnsons and Jamal Lewis types. Sure there are also great white scat backs out there like Cory McCaffrey and Tre Smith. However, McGuffie is on another level as a scat back. Sam is good at "everything": a 4.32 40 yard, 41 inch vert, 3.83 Rivals combine record short shuttle, cuts on a dime without slowing at all, can break tackles pretty well. He is a speed phenom. And "speed phenoms" are what scouts love and what scouts and "caste whores" say whites can't be, which is why Sam is going to make it through. I was just playing the role of a drunken white fan with the genetic argument.

Sam single handedly dominated a good Cinco Ranch team for 18.2 YPC and 5 TDs to lead Cy Fair to victory last game in the Texas 5A playoffs! Sam is absolutely amazing! I was a bit disappointed in him this year, but now realize it was all b/c of his ankle injury b/c he has come back more dominant than ever against the top H.S competition in the country with no passing game to help him on the Cy Fair team! The kid is "a freak" and just has that "it" about him as a player. He's got crazy style, instincts and confidence to go along with off the chart athletic ability!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

SteveB

Mentor
whiteCB said:
Also SteveB so how much coverage exactly is McGuffie getting. It sounds like he's pretty popular down there despite not going to a Texas college.

He pretty much makes the local news channels every week and gets a lot of coverage in the local newspaper.

BTW, a very black Houston Lamar team got a healthy dose of McGuffie in last nights playoff game as Cy Fair wins 34-22. McGuffie carried 32 times for 202 yds and a TD.

KG2422

Mentor
SteveB said:
whiteCB said:
Also SteveB so how much coverage exactly is McGuffie getting. It sounds like he's pretty popular down there despite not going to a Texas college.

He pretty much makes the local news channels every week and gets a lot of coverage in the local newspaper.

BTW, a very black Houston Lamar team got a healthy dose of McGuffie in last nights playoff game as Cy Fair wins 34-22. McGuffie carried 32 times for 202 yds and a TD.

I'm glad Sam is healthy again. A fella I coach with was quick to write him off because he didn't dominate a televised game about a month ago while playing at less than 100%. The belief in the caste system is horrible from many coaches. They use words like "talent", "speed", and "athletes" to describe programs with plenty of blacks. The good news is that many of the young coaches I know believe in the white athlete. Things are changing for the better on the sports front. Things are much better than they were ten years ago.

White Power

Mentor
I agree totally things are changing for the better for the white athlete because coaches are starting to realize that some where some how the black athlete will let them down either legally or injury wise or as a detriment to the team when he dosen't get his way or even if he is demoted. Like i've always said you can take the boy out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy. Many coaches just don't want to deal with the prevasive thug mentality of the inner city athlete however many more are willing to put up with them beleiving they are the key to job security. It is really pathetic having to coddle kids that you have nothing in common with so that you can keep your job pathetic indeed.However things are getting better for the white athlete I only hope it continues to get better at that race one day is eventually taken out of the picture entirely. That is when we know that we have fulfilled our mission at this most treasured web site.Edited by: White Power

ToughJ.Riggins said:
This is a long post, but I was really thinking about this dire situation. If Michigan goes for the black coordinator, I'd be worried. Being a black man he is probably cohesively pro black.

That's speculation, whereas the fact is the determining factor as whether Sam goes to U-M may hinge on what happens to Fred Jackson, the (black) running backs coach, who recruited him largely on the promise of making him a white All-American.

johnnyboy

Guru
personally, i have no clue whats going to happen with Sam and his career at Michigan, especially now that Carr is leaving. but i will say this, as much as i am rooting for him and as much as i would like him to break stereotypes at a program as big as Michigan, he had better look out for his own interests at Michigan. it sounds funny to say that, but non black athletes need to understand that the rules of the old generations are over. the important thing now is getting the playing time to showcase your skills in college and highschool and bettering your chances at making it into the pros or of getting a scholarship. blacks are great at this. they promote themselves and make themselves out to be WAY better than they actually are. they know theres a black myth of athletic superiority and they protect it as much as they can. whites must start doing the same. there is no more honor in taking one for the team, not when the team doesnt do anything for you. look at Hillis. that guy wasted his college career playing for a caste whore douche bag who never appreciatedhis talents. now he's done after this year and he'll probably get a chance to block for blacks again in the nfl for a couple of seasons before being cut. i used to feel sorry for kids like Hillis but now more and more im just feeling like they just let themselves get duped. why do talented white kids stay on after their soph. year at their current program. if their current program doesnt give them any significant playing time? its plain dumb. i read an article that mentioned how disappointed Hillis was in his lack of td's and carries in college, and i couldnt help but think, "wow, this kid is kinda dumb." no offence to Hillis but sometimes the answer is obvious, painfully obvious. if the school you are at doesnt appreciate you and you have talent....TRANSFER, to some place that does. do you think CSU or BYU would have used Hillis so sparingly? dont get me wrong, i stillget angry as hell when the Hillis's of the world get screwed but i no longer have a huge amount of sympathy for a white kid with loads of talent that lets himself get screwed by a lying caste coach. its time for these white ahtletes to use their heads more and stop buying into the bullsh*t coming from coaches mouths.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
GreatLakeState said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
This is a long post, but I was really thinking about this dire situation. If Michigan goes for the black coordinator, I'd be worried. Being a black man he is probably cohesively pro black.

That's speculation, whereas the fact is the determining factor as whether Sam goes to U-M may hinge on what happens to Fred Jackson, the (black) running backs coach, who recruited him largely on the promise of making him a white All-American.

I see what you're saying GLS and I hope that is the case. Fair minded black coaches may be even fairer to whites than white coaches b/c they will not be accused of racism or mocked by the media for playing too many white players. If this Fred Jackson guy is a fair minded guy maybe he honestly believes in McGuffie's talents and sees some positives in having a white RB defy stereotypes bypossibly winning the Heisman. I worry if the coach is a racist black he may rue the idea white RBs actually becoming accepted, but I guess that is not the case.

Stonewall

Guru
I believe I read that Fred Jackson is extremely high on McGuffie, to the point where Mike Hart is quoted as saying that Jackson talks about McGuffie all the time. Hart even said that Jackson told him (Hart) that he was lucky Sam's not at Michigan now, or he'd be taking carries away from Hart.

I realize that talk is cheap, but we just need to trust that Sam will be thorough in evaluating his options, trust his gut, and seek out sound guidance. Based on what I've read, Sam seems to be very confident in his abilities. At the same time, he's still a young guy and I hope he has a support system around him who is looking out for his best interests.

Also, SteveB, could you tell us about Cy Fair's next opponent in the playoff game this week?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Stonewall said:
I believe I read that Fred Jackson is extremely high on McGuffie, to the point where Mike Hart is quoted as saying that Jackson talks about McGuffie all the time.  Hart even said that Jackson told him (Hart) that he was lucky Sam's not at Michigan now, or he'd be taking carries away from Hart.

I realize that talk is cheap, but we just need to trust that Sam will be thorough in evaluating his options, trust his gut, and seek out sound guidance.  Based on what I've read, Sam seems to be very confident in his abilities.  At the same time, he's still a young guy and I hope he has a support system around him who is looking out for his best interests.

Also, SteveB, could you tell us about Cy Fair's next opponent in the playoff game this week?

Problem there is whether Fred Jackson will be back. Doesn't a new coach broom out all of the old assistant coaches? Jackson would be a good one to keep, he recruits well. Plus he's black, another reason they might keep him. If Les Miles goes to Michigan some of the coaches may stay since miles is a former Michigan man, but there is a rivalry between Lloyd Carr and miles so Miles might dump all of Carr's guys. Almost certainly offesnive coordinator Deboard and Defensive coach Ron English are gone, big pluses no matter how you see it.

SteveB

Mentor
Cy Fair will have a tough opponent in the next round of the playoffs. They will be up against North Shore which is undefeated and ranked 4th in the state by Texas Football magazine. North Shore starters are about 2/3rds black and many of them go on to play D1 football.Edited by: SteveB