So?

347 carries, 3,396 </span>yards, 44TD, 283</span>ypg - Ryan Mathews
289 carries, 3,013 yards, 10.43</span> ypc - </span>William Cole
288 carries, 2,731 yards, 61</span>TD - </span>Darren Evans

Comparing statistics is fun, isn't it?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
Scott is ranked as the overall #4 recruit in the nation, McGuffie is ranked as #197. That tells it all.

I check Rivals occasionally -- but I realize it is ultimately irrelevant.

You are a great and valued poster, and I'm sure you know why many White OT's and some White TE's are ranked above an explosive, game-changing playmaker like Sam --- on the Rivals100 and now the Rivals250 overall rankings.

They are only reinforcing the idea that Whites' must only apply for OL, TE and QB...

To hell with them. It is not his size because he has the height to put on 15-20 good pounds. He will only mature and get stronger and shouldn't lose any of his speed or footwork ability.Edited by: Deadlift

a-train

Guru
Texas Tech said:
OC football said:
Sam is the FASTEST high school football player in the country

Actually, he's tied for 20th fastest
<div>&lt;FONT lang=0 face=Arial color=#000000 size=3 PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF"&gt;</font></font>4.24  Larry Raper  4.25  Philip Pierre-Louis</font></font></div>
<div>&lt;FONT lang=0 face=Arial color=#000000 size=3 PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF"&gt;4.28  Myron Dillard4.28  Carlin Isles4.29  Luther Ambrose4.30  C.J. Davis4.30  Nathan Guillory 4.30  Alex Harbison  4.30  Lee Butler4.30  Lincoln Rhoden 4.30  Larry Arellano 4.30  Emmanuel Campa  4.30  Michael Hall4.30  Ryan Gardner  4.31  A.J. Alexander 4.31  Marquel Ali4.31  Travis Arnold  4.31  Braxton Lane4.31  Jerome Swinton  4.32  Darrell Scott4.32  Horatio Williams4.32  Malcolm Beyah</font></font></div>
<div>&lt;FONT lang=0 face=Arial color=#000000 size=3 PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF"&gt;4.32  Sam McGuffie  </font></font></div>

he posts the BEST production yet he is not even the best APB.

Darrell Scott posted better production.

336 carries, 3,194 yards, 9.5 yards per carry, 45 touchdowns - Scott358 carries, 3,121 yards, 8.7 yards per carry, 43 touchdowns - McGuffie

No-way in does Darell Scott run a faster time than McGuffie watch the tapes Scott gets ran down by the angles you never see that happen to McGuffie.Yet McGuffie plays better competion than Scott.McGuffie also ran a 4.29 but forty times mean crap McGuffie hits the hole quicker than any back out there.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Texas Tech, I hope you're not a troll. I am a fair minded person who follows football avidly. I wouldn't have a problem with Darrell Scott being ranked ahead of McGuffie, but with any other RB it is ridiculous. McGuffie plays in the hardest H.S football Division in the country. Group 5A Houston area football has produced the likes of Marcus Allen and Craig James to name a couple great RBs.

Darrell Scott is a little bigger and harder to bring down than Sam, but McGuffie is more elusive, he's a little quicker and "like an alien" can leap over tacklers in a single bound. They are both very fast and have good hands and the difference in their production is insignificant when you compare who they are playing against. Both have been overworked as RBs which brings down your YPC. Which is maybe why Calhoun can post an 11.8 YPC getting the ball much less against softer competition.

So if you're a troll leave now, if you are here to consider our arguments then I welcome you; but don't come on this site simply to trash us and our legitimate arguments.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
OC football said:
Sam is now ranked 20th among all running backs. No white man will ever
have a chance. I give up. How fast must he be before he gets a good
ranking. Fastest in the nation is apparently not fast enough.

It gets even worse when you consider Rivals ATH ranking, many of which will play RB who are also ranked ahead of Sam! Being ranked at number 197 would mean that if Sam were entering the NFL draft according to Rivals rankings he would be an early 7th round pick!
smiley11.gif

We should all email Rivals and tell them we are disgusted by their rankings. I am going to lie and say that I have a good friend who was screwed by the college recruiting process. I have heard of a couple of players from near me in Jersey who have gotten screwed, but don't personally know them, so I will have to lie. If a few of us e-mail them we can't let them know we're from this site.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

white tornado

Mentor
oct 28th

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it is on October 18th[/i]. i am sure white tornado had a typo.

it is tomorrow night on ESPN2 at 7:00pm Central time.

i hope Sam tears it up.

Riddlewire

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:

it is tomorrow night on ESPN2 at 7:00pm Central time.

i hope Sam tears it up.

Forum reports mentioned that Sam came up limping last week. Same leg that was inured before. With this being a short week, I'm not sure he'll be 100%. And their coach seems to be as much of an idiot as Houston Nutt. Sam already has his scholarship. There's nothing left to prove. If I were him, I'd just dog it on all those inside runs and go down on first contact. Otherwise, a career ending injury may result.</span>
</span>

white tornado

Mentor
my bad on the date Yall.
smiley18.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Sam didn't have his usual "ultra superstar" game tonight. I almost wonder if he choked a little in the national spotlight. He didn't appear to be taking as many risks running. He wasn't as creative with his running as he usually is when he bounces it laterally. Sam's o-line didn't look too good and he seemed worried about loss of yards. I could definitely see his athleticism though. Sam also didn't impress me with how hard he ran. I didn't see him getting low and driving the pile much when nothing was there. I wonder if his ankle is still bothering him. Boy does he have moves though!

It's a shame the opposing RB out shinned him stat wise, but boy was the other teams blocking good you could have drove a truck through those holes!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Tough J. I also noticed that he didn't have a superstar game, but it did appear that he wasn't 100%. The announcers even quoted the coach as saying Sam was at 85%. But a lot of credit to the announcers who kept singing Sam's praises, they referred to him as athletic, explosive, big play-maker, is going to be a star at Michigan, etc. He still had a good YPC, and got a TD (only saw the 2nd half, don't know if he scored in the first).

I hope Sam's ankle keeps healing up, can finish the season strong, have a good spring/summer at Michigan and really burst onto the scene next fall!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I only avidly watched the first half. The second half I was only half watching. I think he had a better second half though, I saw the play where he busted a 43 yard run, but didn't look as fast on it as in his Youtube vids. He looked like his speed was suffering a little from a bumb ankle, I agree.

G

Michigan radio was hotabout this kid last night.The callers who saw the game were not impressed with Sam's size or speedat all, and don't think it will translate very well to the size and speed of the college game.They were practically beggingCoach Carrand the offensive coordinator to recruit another running back becauseBrandon Minor also isn't the answer.

If memory serves me right, they told Sam they wouldn't recruit anotherback if he signed and/or committed.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it was obvious that Sam was NOT his normal self... he didn't have his normal explosiveness or speed due to the injury.

hell! his coach and even his dad talked about it, and the announcers were pointing it out frequently that he was gutting it out. i think he did pretty well considering he was playing on one leg.

his o-line didn't help him out, either. they were whipped all game long, as was his team's defensive line.

sunshine

Mentor
Maybe because of the injury he looked quick but his speed was probably not up to snuff. He doesn't run low enough but if used properly ala Bush from USC he should be fine at the big time college level. Get him into space where he can utilize his moves and quick feet.

G

sunshine said:
Get him into space where he can utilize his moves and quick feet.

That's what has me concerned.. requiring that he havespace to work his magic.He had HUGE holes in the YouTube video. Mike Hart rarely ever has that kind of space.Not all of the time, but most of the time, he has to get low and pound the rock a la Jacob Hester.

We need him to bulk up a bit to absorb the pounding he'll get in the Big Ten. And by bulk up, I don't mean fullback bulk.. I mean Mike Hart/Ray Rice-type bulk.Edited by: Texas Tech

SteveB

Mentor
Cy-Falls was a state finalist team last year and is probably the second best team in the Houston area behind Katy. Having said that, it doesn't surprise me that Sam didn't have his usual 200+ yards against them. It also seems that he was tentative in his running and didn't want to risk further injury by running his usual aggressive style.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
he was playing injured with a high-ankle sprain and still had over 150 yards and a touchdown against a much better team. he is a great talent.

why would a speed back want to bulk up to 230? there are plenty of 215-pound backs around, and as Sam matures he will easily weigh that, if not more. in my opinion, adding a lot of weight would only slow him down and take away his elusiveness. nobody ever wanted Reggie Bush to bulk up, and Sam is every bit as good if not better.

as for him not running like normal, HE IS RUNNING ON ONE LEG! heh. sorry to yell, but jeez!
smiley36.gif

nhl411

Guru
I don't know anything about T-tech but he's right about needing to bulk to ray rice or mike hart size, that would only put him at like 200-205

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Sam already weighs over 200 pounds, mate.

Riddlewire

Master
In case anyone was wondering why there was no update for this week, Sam was held out of Friday's game for his ankle to heal fully. His team won. He ought to be full speed next week.