Peyton Hillis

JReb1

Mentor
I think Mangini had no doubts that Hills would be a star RB and that's why he wanted him so badly but there was no way Holmgren would've let Mangini start Hillis at HB (no less build a team around him) right out of the gate. Things thankfully fell into place for Mangini and Hillis because anybody who watched Hillis in 08 and this preseason knew he had the talent to be a featured RB and Hillis MORE than earned his opportunity to shine.

DWFan

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
But at least Hillis only needed 3 black running backs in front of him in Cleveland to get injured or stink up the joint, rather than the 6 it took in Denver. 

Why I check this site first thing when I wake up!
smiley36.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms that Peyton Hillis will start against the Falcons in Week 5.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
The news comes as no surprise, as multiple sources suggested that
Hillis would play through his deep thigh bruise. There is a chance that
his load could be lessened this week, though we'd feel comfortable
playing him as a RB2.

It's also interesting to note that Hillis has had more touches than any NFL player in the past two weeks.
</div>

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
ever since i saw the comic book-like picture of Hillis that was posted by Anak, i have referred to Hillis, and his unstoppable-force running style, as The Juggernaut.

Peyton Hillis is The Juggernaut. let your opposing defense pray for mercy.
smiley20.gif

2u586ko.jpg

DWFan

Mentor
Good grief did y'all see him jump over that dude? Hillis is already on fire!!!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
DWFan said:
Good grief did y'all see him jump over that dude? Hillis is already on fire!!!

no.
smiley19.gif
hopefully, i'll get the chance to see it via someone posting it to YouTube or the like.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hillis Scoooore!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i saw the play on a highlight replay already! awesome Leonard Leap by Hillis. and what a great catch for the touchdown! the Juggernaut is awesome!!!!!

snow

Mentor
Harrison couldn't even outperform an injured Hillis, carrying the ball 6 times for 6 yards with a long of 2. I hope Hillis gets well soon so he can have some monster games to go well over the 1k mark.
Edited by: snow

DWFan

Mentor
I don't know any official news, but he was limping badly the last time I saw him. I understand why others here will disagree with me, but I hope he gets some bench time to heal. That tiger does too much for us to be rushing while possibly injured.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he was playing through a strained quad muscle throughout all the game. he aggravated it on his TD catch.

snow

Mentor
eh, he can heal by staying limited in practice this week. He is a tough guy and will be fine. White players can't afford to sit games out. I know they feel pretty confident in Hillis but if he doesn't play and Harrison has a decent game it might be back to splitting carries.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He still did very well in the receiving department and had a touchdown reception. He contributed significantly even though he wasn't even close to 100%.

qj

Guru
It appears the Browns simply cannot move the ball without Hillis out there. Pretty sad in my opinion. Hillis, it seems, needed some relief at RB today, but Harrison did nada, nothing. Pathetic. Without production from the QB, the WR's, TE, and backup RB, Cleveland simply cannot win. Hillis cannot do it alone, and if he does manage it on a given Sunday, he will not be able to do it for a whole season. With Hillis gashing the D, the QB should be able to put up big numbers on play action, but it's not happening. I have little hope for the Browns. Hopefully, Hillis will get well soon and tear it up, and somebody else miraculously will step up and help out.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Looks like Colt McCoy is going to start against the Steelers. That'll be good fro Hillis. Anything's got to be better than the two guys they've got at qb now.

Tom Iron...

Howard

Guru
Hillis is pretty good,but the best play by a White player was the defensive lineman for the Falcons intercepting the ball and running it back for a TD. I bet on the Falcons so I needed that TD for the cover.

JReb1

Mentor
RB Peyton Hillis was slowed by a
quad strain he first hurt in practice on Thursday. Hills tried to play
with the injury and did score a touchdown on a reception, but he gained
just 28 yards on 10 carries as Atlanta loaded its defense to stop him.
Hillis had been the Browns offense the first four games, and the main
reason they were able to eke out a three-point win over Cincinnati. But
with him slowed, the passing game is not dangerous enough to make
enough happen to win.
The Browns became one-dimensional without Hillis, and with Jake
Delhomme hobbling on an injured ankle were easy prey for the Falcons
aggressive pass rush.
Hillis had become so vital a part of the Browns offense it's tough to
wonder what they can get accomplished against a top defense like
Pittsburgh's if he does not play. <cite id="yui_3_1_2_11_128688772030159">(Yahoo! Sports)

A pretty nice writeup from Yahoo! They've been giving Hillis a mostly fair shake IMO in their reporting.

</cite><strong id="yui_3_1_2_11_128688772030175" ="date">Mon, Oct 11[/b]Hillis
caught four passes for 49 yards with a touchdown but was held to 28
rushing yards on 10 carries in Cleveland's 20-10 loss to Atlanta on
Sunday.Advice: Hillis
struggled to get things going on the ground but made up for it in the
passing game. He continues to be one of the more underrated backs in the
league. <cite id="yui_3_1_2_11_128688772030176">(STATS, Inc.)
</cite>

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mangini keeps mum on extent of Peyton Hillis injury: Browns Insider

BEREA, Ohio -- The status of Browns running back Peyton Hillis for the Steelers game is unknown after he aggravated his pulled quad muscle against the Falcons.

Hillis limped off the field after his spectacular one-handed 19-yard touchdown catch and spent time down on the sidelines grimacing after chasing down a third-quarter interception that was nullified by a penalty.
<DIV ="_bottom_left bg_white">
<DIV ="_bottom_right bg_white">

A number of players underwent MRIs, including Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, but it was not announced whether Hillis did.

"There were a lot of guys that either came into the game with things that limited them or had it during the game," said Eric Mangini. "We'll see where they are on Wednesday; I'm not going to get into the specifics of any of their injuries. We'll see how it goes throughout the course of the week."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/10/mangini_keeps_mum_on_extent_of.html

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think it should be mentioned that one of the reasons white players have been systematically shut out of the running back position is because historically, for one reason or another, they are considered more likely to become injured. I know that sounds humorous with what we know here considering how injury prone many black players are. But it wasn't always looked at that way.

Maybe too when black players were a much smaller percentage of the player population they were 'naturally selected' for being tougher. Much like in MLB where nearly every early black baseball player after Jackie Robinson was a superstar because that's all that were signed, it eventually created the idea that ALL blacks were superstar players until they became a higher percentage of the playing population (like in the 1970's) and so many of them sucked.

Many people in positions of coaching probably feel that black players are tougher or better naturally suited to the punishment. A coach wants a player that can be there for him all season long. I had heard from a guy here in Detroit that Luke Staley was given up on so quickly because he had a series of injuries and they felt he, like any other white back, wasn't up to the task.

I'm worried about Hillis for this reason. Also since he is the ONLY white running back that has ever played regularly he needs to break this stereotype, however as the ONLY one it is statistically high that he would get injured at some point. Plus the way he plays has got to expose him to a lot of hurt.

snow

Mentor
Good point about Hillis. I don't think the way he plays exposes him to getting hurt though. He has a very low pad level and is more like a linebacker delivering the hits rather than absorbing them or maybe a john lynch type safety delivering a crushing blow (just look at how many affletes he has injured when hes gotten a chance to run). On one of his touchdown runs I was amazed at how low he got, it was almost unreal. But little nicks like thigh bruises tend to happen to all players. If he had the opportunity to rest this wouldn't be a problem for this week.

You are right, I can see how they would consider them injury prone, but not anymore than black players. Someone asked if someone on this site could compile a list of all the black busts at runningback. I looked it up, but never compiled the list. The reason why is, so many of the blacks didn't do anything in the league because of injuries, it was a pretty big number. Guys who lit it up for a few games and then were never the same. I didn't know whether to classify these guys as busts or not, but it was a big number. Maybe the coaches who think whites are more injury prone should take a look at it.

This is in a league where they are constantly putting black runningbacks in the nfl, compared to maybe a handful of white runners given carries the past decade. Combine that to the fact that most whites have to play through minor pain/injuries in fear of losing their job and usually have practice harder ( Also there are some black players who seem to want to injure white skill position players by giving dirty hits, like aiming for the knees.) The fact that Hillis got to sit out practice and still played Sunday was surprising.

Even when guys like Craig James and John Riggins played, there were more black runningbacks in the league. The fact that Riggins played into his mid 30's shows that whites are durable. Had Craig James been around today he might have been able to come back from his knee injury, Reggie Bush has had several knee injuries and still hasn't lost his agility, even though he doesn't know how to run up the middle, which is more proof of how injury prone blacks are. They can't even stay healthy in a runningback by committee scenario, the 3 backs for the Saints are all injured.

You are right, him being the only white feature back there is a high chance of injury at some point, you only have to look at what allowed him to shine in the first place. 6 injured backs in Denver, and then 2 injured backs in Cleveland to be the feature back. So a total of 8 injuries, yet if he is injured dwfs will think "that style of running is just not cut out for today's nfl" which is what I have heard before.

Edited by: snow