Peyton Hillis

devans

Mentor
Too complementary at the moment.

There has to be an element of "put down" involved in any white label. "A poor mans Toby" may be permitted
I say "at the moment" above becuase Toby still awaits to be shafted by the NFL. In a few years "Toby like" may be permitted as a white label because he will be a third string running back in somewhere like Denver.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
winner12345 said:
Hillis has been impressive this year.</span>

Hillis has hardly been on the field this year. He has done a nice job when used, but he hasn't had the opportunity to showcase himself like last season.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hillis had his 7 carries at the end of the game, successfully running out the last 6 minutes all by himself. Here is the final series play-by-play:

<LI ="DENfont pbp-team">Denver Broncos at 06:03 </LI>
<LI>1-10-DEN 5 (6:03) 22-P.Hillis up the middle to DEN 10 for 5 yards (53-D.Williams). </LI>
<LI>2-5-DEN 10 (5:22) 22-P.Hillis up the middle to DEN 14 for 4 yards (94-T.Jackson). </LI>
<LI>3-1-DEN 14 (4:36) (Run formation) PENALTY on DEN-73-C.Kuper, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 14 - No Play. </LI>
<LI>3-6-DEN 9 (4:36) 22-P.Hillis left guard to DEN 15 for 6 yards (91-T.Hali). </LI>
<LI>1-10-DEN 15 (3:53) 22-P.Hillis up the middle to DEN 21 for 6 yards (96-A.Studebaker). </LI>
<LI>2-4-DEN 21 (3:15) 22-P.Hillis left end to DEN 22 for 1 yard (96-A.Studebaker, 53-D.Williams). </LI>
<LI>3-3-DEN 22 (2:31) 22-P.Hillis left end to DEN 35 for 13 yards (30-M.Brown). </LI>
<LI>Two-Minute Warning </LI>
<LI>1-10-DEN 35 (2:00) 22-P.Hillis right end pushed ob at DEN 47 for 12 yards (39-B.Carr). </LI>
<LI>1-10-DEN 47 (1:51) 2-C.Simms kneels to DEN 45 for -2 yards. </LI>
<LI>2-12-DEN 45 (1:08) 2-C.Simms kneels to DEN 44 for -1 yards. </LI>
<LI>3-13-DEN 44 :)26) 2-C.Simms kneels to DEN 43 for -1 yards. </LI>
<LI>END GAME </LI>

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I've been hoping for injuries to Moreno and Buckhalter so the Broncos would have no choice but to play Hillis the last few games of the year like the last one.

We want to see a white runner with a 1000-yard season, but we'll be lucky if we get Hillis, Leonard, and Hester each over 100 yards.

TwentyTwo

Master
Looks like he was just getting warmed up too...25 yards on his last two carries...wish I could have seen that! It's a sad day when you have to hope for an injury just for a white runningback get a chance.

Sure would be nice to see Hillis, Gerhart and Tebow all with 1,000 yard seasons in a couple of years...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Glad Hillis finally got some reps. McEminem needs to set "YOshown" Moreno on the pine (where he belongs) & put Hillis in as starter. To bad that's a pipe-dream...thanks to the caste vermin!
smiley21.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
How generous of McEminem to give Peyton 7 carries yesterday. Denver's best runner now has a whopping 11 carries this season. Great way to treat your players.

newguy

Guru
It's good to see Peyton get some carries, perhaps with this performance he can get a share of the carries from the 2nd string RB.

I don't think Peyton will ever get a chance to start in Denver, not that he is not good enough, it definitely appears he is.

Putting aside the fact that Peyton Hills is a white runnig back, another reason he may be getting the shaft, is because I believe Moreno was Denver's #1 draft pick. Generally, GM's are judged by how their drafts pan out. GM's will generally give their number 1 draft picks every chance to succeed, even if they truely feel they have another guy behind him that may be as good or even better. It generally makes the GM's more maketable when their high draft picks pan out.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McEminem speaks:

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels defended Knowshon Moreno after the rookie struggled in short-yardage Sunday.

Analysis: "No," McDaniels said of the possibility of using Peyton Hillis in the future. "We had our best guy in there in that situation." Sunday's game was an aberration, as Moreno has done well to avoid getting stuffed for negative yardage all season. He'll remain the goal-line back.(Article Link)

Westside

Hall of Famer
Hillis if he values his ability and long term money making ability, after the season demand to be trEed or cut. F these mules

backrow

Hall of Famer
more from rotoworld:

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said part of the reason Peyton Hillis wasn't used as a short-yardage runner last week because of an injury to FB Spencer Larsen.

Larsen's opening-kickoff injury meant Hillis had to play fullback in short yardage. Still, McDaniels said after the game that he views Knowshon Moreno as his best goal-line and short-yardage option, so Hillis' role figures to be very limited once again even if Correll Buckhalter (ankle) doesn't play.
Source: Denver Post

G

NFL network seemingly mocked No-sho yesterday with a film loop of him being easily brought down in the backfield play after play.

I despise that little creep, McDaniels. I know Singletary has come in for some criticism on the site, but I'd take him any day over McDimwit. At least Singletary seems to recognize brute reality when it stares him in the face.

I would really like to see an investigation of discrimination occur. They could interview players and coaches, asking if Hillis was lazy in practice. When they say no, what justification would they have to make him FOURTH string? He clearly produces better than the other running backs, especially when you consider his receiving ability and blocking. If this were the real world and Hillis was black, a discrimination suit would have already been filed.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this just in ... Hillis still might not be in the game plan, even with Denver's backfield decimated with injuries. again. this article gets pretty close to hitting the nail on the head.

Hillis the forgotten man in Broncos' backfield

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; : transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none" id=Tixyy>

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -With all the injuries in the Denver Broncos' backfield, this could be the week that Peyton Hillis gets his chance to play a bigger role in Josh McDaniels' offense.

Then again, maybe not.

Hillis has just a dozen carries this season, and seven of them came at Kansas City two weeks ago when the Broncos were salting away a 44-13 rout.

Last week at Indianapolis, he ran just once even though Correll Buckhalter went down with a sprained ankle and rookie running back Knowshon Moreno kept getting stuffed in short-yardage situations, short-circuiting drives.

Hillis' rugged running style gave the struggling offense a nasty aura last year before his season-ending hamstring injury and earned him legions of fans who are now calling the radio shows and asking what's wrong with a) Hillis and b) McDaniels for not using him more.

Is Hillis in McDaniels' doghouse for some reason?

"He's not in the doghouse,'' McDaniels said.

McDaniels said one reason he didn't hand the ball to Hills on third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 against the Colts was that Spencer Larsen injured his back on the opening kickoff, leaving Hillis as his only fullback. So, he wasn't even an option.

"Not when he's the only fullback,'' McDaniels said.

Besides, McDaniels said, "We've had a pretty good running game with Buckhalter and Moreno this year, and that's why we're not going to change it.''

McDaniels blamed the short-yardage failures on poor blocking by the offensive line and others, not bad runs by Moreno.

"The back is the last thing I'm concerned about on short yardage,'' McDaniels said. "If you don't stop the penetration, which killed us (Sunday) in every single one of those situations, you can give the ball to Franco Harris or anybody else, they're not getting a yard.''

Quarterback Kyle Orton echoed his coach's comments when asked if he was surprised Hillis isn't getting more carries.

"Knowshon runs the ball pretty tough in short yardage. I mean, he can't run through everybody,'' Orton said. "We've got to do a better job of blocking for him, do a better job of getting the surge. And that's on everybody on the offense, not just Knowshon. So, we've got good short-yardage backs and Peyton's a good one, as well, but this isn't Knowshon's problem. This is an offensive problem.''

Whatever the reasoning behind it, this has been a fast fall for Hillis, who was inactive for two games, one of them so he could attend his grandmother's funeral in November.

Hillis, who backed up first-round picks Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at Arkansas, isn't complaining about his lack of carries or for being ignored in short-yardage situations.

"I think Coach McDaniels knows what he's doing,'' Hillis said. "I'm just out there just trying to do the best I can for the team and play the role that they give me.''

It's a much different role than he had a year ago.

The 240-pound bone-rattler energized the Broncos last season when he emerged during an injury epidemic among the team's tailbacks and ran for a team-high 343 yards and scored six touchdowns before tearing his right hamstring against Kansas City in December.

The Broncos sorely missed his toughness and production as they lost their last three games to miss the playoffs for a third straight season, leading to a coaching change and a roster makeover.

When McDaniels replaced Mike Shanahan and Hillis returned from his injury, the two seemed to hit it off last summer.

During training camp, McDaniels praised Hillis' battering ram running style and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield, saying back in August: "Peyton's a very valuable player and versatile and can create some matchup problems for defenses if we can use him right.''

He hasn't been using him much at all.

Hillis' most extensive work came against the Chiefs, when he ran seven times for 47 yards to run out the clock.

"They put me in at the end of the game to close out the game and I took advantage of my opportunity and did what I could do,'' Hillis said. "That's all I can do.''

He might be doing more Sunday against Oakland with Buckhalter not expected to play, LaMont Jordan coming off a back injury and Moreno banged up. Plus, Larsen is expected to return to the lineup, freeing up Hillis to get some carries at tailback.

Buckhalter missed practiced Wednesday.

"Oh yeah. With Buck being out, there's always a better chance,'' Hillis said. "It's unfortunate that he got hurt. He's a good friend, a good teammate and a good running back. Whatever happens, I will take full advantage of my opportunity.''

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; : transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">here is the link to the original article.

bigunreal

Mentor
Very illuminating article. First, as noted, Hillis is obviously yet another wimpy white (ala Hester, Tebow, etc.) who is never going to advocate for himself in the manner ANY black player would. It's getting harder and harder to support those who simply don't seem to care. Second, how about that Kyle Orton? You think a black QB would approach the subject in quite the same way, if a seemingly sympathetic reporter was asking him why a brother RB wasn't getting carries?

The Caste System is so strong that even with the mainstream press asking the right questions here, it continues unabated. Hillis needs to stick his ass out and demand the ball.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Orton had a key line, although I don't think that he meant it the way I see it, "it's an offensive problem". Yes, very offensive.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Even though I still cheer for those guys, I hate the way guys like Tim "I can be a tight end in the NFL" Tebow, Brian "I'm not the fastest guy in the world" Leonard, and Jacob "Fullback" Hester will do whatever absurd thing their caste coaches would tell them to do. I guess it is against white nature to go against authority most of the time.. If the caste system will ever be broken, you need guys like Gerhart and Burkhead, who demand they play RB, not FB. I respect all white players, but I wish Tebow would demand he play QB. If guy like him don't, the caste system will stay in place longer.

I heard the Jags would draft Tebow. No telling what "Black Jack" Del Rio would do to Tim.

foobar75

Master
I don't understand this wimpy attitude being displayed by Hillis. I mean, he's already hit rock bottom, so what does he have to lose by speaking up a little? Get his carries reduced? HE DOESN'T GET CARRIES ANYWAY!!!
smiley7.gif

A perfect scenario appears to be forming here, with the fans/media behind him and yet, he's not doing himself any favors with all this submissive crap.

As for Vermin McDaniels, I don't think I have loathed an NFL personality (coach, player, owner, or otherwise) as much as I hate this guy.
Edited by: foobar75

whiteCB

Master
I am sorry guys but I don't feel bad for Hillis. how can I feel bad for a man that doesn't stick up for himself and defend his abilities. Hillis had the same exact docile demeanor as Arkansas and its getting him the same amount of carries just like in college. For Hillis not to stand up and declare that his production last year warrants playing time and carries disgusts me!!

G

In the "Longest Yard" Hillis would have been one of the cheerleaders.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I agree with WhiteCB, this aw shucks, gee whiz, whatever coach says crap is pathetic. Of course we all want a white brother to get his shot, but when Hillis has the bully pulpit to at least somewhat stand up for himself, we get the opposite from him.Edited by: WHITE NOISE