NFL Combine 2007

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know how Weddle could have run that slow. He's a lot faster than that. He must be feeling bad or either just had an off run.
smiley5.gif
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is baffling to me. I really am dumbfounded by these results.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
This is baffling to me. I really am dumbfounded by these results.

i didnt get a chance to see any of today's stuff. what happened? i just read on dd.com that Sabby was impressive.

what about Wendling and Weddle, our main hopes?

jared

Mentor
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10025995
NFL.com has Weddle's time listed as 4.48. I'm just happy he was in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range. I was worried he wasn't going to test out to be that fast. Overall I think it was a pretty good day for White DB's and a pretty good combine for white players altogether. Especially solid all-round performances by Wendling, Robison, Carriker, and Gonzalez.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Weddle's performances are what surprised me. Seems mighty low for him based on what I have seen over the last 2 years. Maybe it won't hurt him too much.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I am encouraged by some of these forty times put in by Weddle,Shaw and Leonard. It's possible we could have some serious breakthoughs in the caste system this year if Weddle plays cb and Leonard gets his shot at tailback. Too bad the shark will be pitching for the Cubs. It would have been great to have him at the combine too.

Triad

Mentor
Leonard is as fast as Weddle? Wow.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Weddle wasn't impressive at the combine, he has lots of room to improve imo. still, he was in the middle of the pack of cornerbacks as far as 40 times go.

Sabby Piscitelli improved his stock as a big, fast safety.

also, Zack Catnese was third amongst all dbacks with 24 bench press reps.

backrow

Hall of Famer
White Power said:
Why didn't Catanese run the 40 yard dash or did he ,and if so what was his time.

he must have been injured as he only participated in bench press drill.

sunshine

Mentor
A little disappointing last day--Wendling was hoping for 4.3 range and Weddle 4.4. Piscatelli and Wendling though are good all around athletes and Weddle still looks more corner to me--that is my best guess. Note the combine is very selective. No Chad Schroeder but Yamon Figurs??--they find a way to put useless black players who can put up a good 40 time for the combine. So evryone can go AHHHHHHHH oand WHOAAAH and other sorts of orgasmic groans anytime a black guy puts on shorts . I often wonder if the guys keeping the clock give the black guys a quicker time subconsciously or maybe I am getting paranoid--who knows? And this Calvin Johnson orgasm stuff has to stop.. --His skills are overrated. He is NOT fluid and he will slow down within two years. He is already too big.

REDNOSE

Guru
Our guys also seemed to show great quickness in the shorter drills such as the shuttle and cones. These areas are a better way to show the ability to change direction and show overall "real" football skills. Weddle didn't overly impress like whites have to do normally to get recognition. It seems that we have to blow people away while blacks get a free pass or an excuse. Overall, the guys that really jump out at me are the two safetys. If given the chance, these guys should excell at the next level and have pro bowl potential. They both remind me of Ed Reed but will probably draw comparisons to John Lynch. Lynch is great and I love to watch him play, but they have the size and athletic ability that is very rare. With saying this, Weddle has shown on the field that he is an elite talent that is capable of shutting down the scouts wet dream of Calvin Johnson.

SteveB

Mentor
Interesting that Weddle had the same 40 time and other measureables as Aaron Ross, the Thorpe winner and a projected first round pick at CB. I didn't hear anyone say Ross isn't fast enough to play CB in the NFL.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Guest301 I am also very disappointed in losing the Shark to baseball. However, he wasn't going to be a caste buster the way A. Gonzalez could be as a smaller white speed burner(if people actually realize he's white.) If guys like Leonard Weddle and Gonz go on to have great NFL careers, the caste system may weaken. I believe guys like Urlacher, Zach Thomas and Brooking were responsible for an increase in white LB's in the last 5 years.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
Interesting that Weddle had the same 40 time and other measureables as Aaron Ross, the Thorpe winner and a projected first round pick at CB. I didn't hear anyone say Ross isn't fast enough to play CB in the NFL.
exactly. Weddle was just as highly acclaimed on the field, as well, being named his conference's Defensive PoY honor multiple times and being named to multiple All American teams.

he is Ross's equal in both "measurables" and performance on the field, yet Weddle is a "marginal" player while Ross is a "sure thing, first round lock."

this is the whole caste system problem in a nut shell.

sunshine

Mentor
The buzz post combine--not counting OL.&nb sp;Carriker will be a top 10 pick or so--real mobile and huge--Shaw maybe a 2nd round--fast and athletic--Puz-1or2 ?.Deossie helped himself--no idea where he will be drafted--the safeties had ok but not spectacular workouts so Wendling, Weddle--who will probably end up at cb and Piscatelli should all be taken the first day--maybe round 2 for one or more. Stanton is moving up real fast.Olsen 1st round lock. Leonard may sneak in first--2nd at worst--tailback it seems. Keep an eye on pro day workouts. and QB John Beck of BYU is a decent athlete also rising. I am leaving out a few but these are the most important--could add Gonzo from Ohio State who had decent workouts--he is white from what I can gather--but is perceived as something else which is a problem.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
sunshine said:
Gonzo from Ohio State who had decent workouts--he is white from what I can gather--but is perceived as something else which is a problem.

Illustration of that on the NFL Network last night -- Rod Woodson -- who himself is more white than black yet perceived only as black -- was really praising Gonzalez, calling him not only a probable Pro Bowler but even a possible future Hall of Famer! No way he would be dishing out that kind oflove if Gonzo had an obviously white name and background.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Weddle's official time is listed at 4.48 I believe, so he did get out of the 4.5+ area...

guest301

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Guest301 I am also very disappointed in losing the Shark to baseball. However, he wasn't going to be a caste buster the way A. Gonzalez could be as a smaller white speed burner(if people actually realize he's white.) If guys like Leonard Weddle and Gonz go on to have great NFL careers, the caste system may weaken. I believe guys like Urlacher, Zach Thomas and Brooking were responsible for an increase in white LB's in the last 5 years.
Riggins... I think Smardzija would have most definitely been a caste buster because everybody knows who this guy is because of where he went to school(notre dame) and his undeniable talent which many people have seen firsthand. I totally agree with you on your other points.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I saw him jump over some BYU player when I was at the Wyoming game last season. He is an incredible athlete.