Mike Hass Impressive

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is the worst I have seen the Caste System ever.Hartigan gets cut without a carry,Lumsden getting screwed,and now Hass can't even play 1 minute after leading the nation in receiving.I'm sick to my stomach.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yea, well they can't blame Hass, Horn or Lyman for their crappy display on the field tonight.I guess the superior black players justdecided to take the day off.I stopped watching the game when I saw Devery Henderson who drops everything playing in the 3rd quarter.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I spotted Lyman and Horn in the 4th quarter, but no sign of Hass yet.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I'm thinking. Otherwise he should have at least seen the field at some point in the second half. But after watching this game it doesn't look good for Lyman or Horn. And it wouldn't be surprising if Hass is forced to the practice squad or even waived.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yea all of the sudden they seem to be high on colston and continue to play devery henderson eventhough he drops everything thrown to him pretty much.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And they still have Michael Lewis who returns kicks, and Bethel Johnson who is also a kick returner. The Saints right now have 11 wide receivers on their roster. What's really aggravating is that a healthy Chase Lyman can be a kick-ass star receiver in his own right. Chris Horn is basically a third or fourth receiver, but Hass and Lyman are both extremely talented.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I'm listening to wwl's stream of the Saint's post game show. Maybe they will shed some light on why Hass was a non-participant. Edited by: Quiet Speed

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Keep us posted quiet speed, its such a blow to me personally not to get to see Hass on MNF after all the good things I heard about him doing in practice. Maybe they are saving him for the 3rd preseason game where he can play with the starters....at least i hope so.

backrow

Hall of Famer
according to NFL game book he was used as a substitute at some point of the game...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I also read that both Hass and Lyman playing very little but neither receiver was thrown to.Mike Hass and Chase Lyman deserve so much better than this.The NFL can give guys like Lawrence Phillips countless chances but a clean cut kid who is a superstar like Hass gets almost none.What a joke!!

Deus Vult

Mentor
I heard a newspaper writer on WWL-radio this evening, talking Saints football with Bobby Hebert and Hokie Gajan. They were talkig about all the Saints' shortcomings, naturally, then swerved into the one position at which the Saints are very deep and talented: the receiving corps. Bobby and Hokie asked the writer which players he thought would make the cut, which thinks are the top 5-6. The writer said, of course, Joe Horn would be #1. Then, Marques Colston. Then, instead of Stallworth or Henderson, he named Hass, Chris Horn, and Jamal Jones -- the guys whom he says "never drop a ball." He added that Coach Shawn Payton is constantly yellin at Dante Stallworth, Devery Henderson and Bethel Johnson during practice for not lining up properly and for not catching well-thrown passes. Hebert and Gajan seemed to agree with his assessment, but backed away from predicting the final cut and depth-chart would reflect the writer's observations. They all agreed, however, that Dante Stallworth might be decent trade bait in order to get a player to fill a needed position.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Then maybe Hass and Lyman (well, at least Hass) didn't get much playing time because he isn't on the bubble. Maybe they were playing those other guys to see who is going to make it and who is going to be cut?

backrow

Hall of Famer
who the hell are Devery Henderson and Marques Colston... those two should not even be on the NFL roster. let alone starting in front of Hass or even Lyman...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
is Lyman healthy? that guys was freaking UNBELIEVABLE in college when he wasn't hurt. man! i hope i get a chance to watch him play...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Lyman was averaging 29.6 yards per catch his senior season for Cal before blowing out his knee. Let me repeat that -- 29.6 yards per catch. Has anyone in I-A ever averaged29.6 yards per reception for an entire season? I don't know but I doubt it.

Lymanwaseasily the most dynamic receiver in the country in 2004, though the other starter for Cal at WR that season, a black whose name I can't recall right now, was the one gettingmost ofthe press. After Lyman had his knee operated on, he came back and justa few months later ran a 4.47 40 at the '05 Combine. Incredible. If he hadn't been injured he probably would have been drafted in the second round despite being white. As it was he went in the 4th.

If Lyman's healthy now, which he seems to be, he shouldn't be a forgotten player. He is a very rare talent, 6-4 and 210 pounds, a great combination of size, speed and playmaking ability. So many talented white receivers, so few ever given an opportunity to shine.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
[url]http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=5422 9[/url]

Stallworth traded to the Eagles for Mark Simoneau and 4th rounder which could turn into a 3rd rounder. This is great news for Hass and maybe even Lyman. Also with Simoneu added to the team the Saints now have 4 white LBs...Simoneau,Bockwoldt,Fujita and Shanle to go along with Brian Young,Rodney Leisle and Rob Ninkovich on the D-Line and Rob has been a beast all preseason. It shows you why he beat out Ray Edwards the "more athletic" DE at Purdue.
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This has to be considered good news for Hass and Lyman, but the way Hass hasn't been used the past two preseason games is still cause for concern. You don't hold rookie receivers that have a good chance to make the team out of exhibition games. It's supposed to be an important experience gathering process for them. Hopefully Sean Payton is defying tradition -- something rarely done in the ultimate copycat league -- but until we see how the Saints receivers shake out I'm going to remain very worried.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The last preseason game typically gives these kids a great chance to play alot.The teams are too worried about their starters getting hurt.I belive both Hass and Lyman should play at least a half to 3 quarters this weekend.Here is to them both having huge games!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope to see Hass too. What a typically sickening move it would be to cut him without even playing him. I believe they will keep him though.

Deus Vult

Mentor
The WWL-radion sports guys said they more or less knew a trade of Dante Stallworth was coming. The coaches don't like him -- poor skills, poor work ethic -- and vastly overpaid (a cap liability). He is on the last year of his contract, so at least they got a godd LB and a 4th round draft pick for him. For the most part, they say, depth at receiver made Stallworth expendable.

This trade can only be good for Hass. He still gets high marks from first-hand camp observers. He's stil getting reps with Drew Brees.

Kaptain

Master
Stallworth is one of the praised black affletes that gets instant starter status despite having done nothing his entire career. He has been a starter since he has entered the league and has never produced a 1,000 yard season. Despite his lack of production the Eagles are now considered to have an instant "deep threat", but they really have just another career dud. It's funny how these guys get an entire career to prove themselves while talented white recievers waste away on the bench.

Contrast Stallworth's career with any white reciever - let's take Brandon Stokely for example. Stokely has had a 1,000 yard season and has always done well in whatever role he has played - even with the offensively-challenged Ravens. Stokely, however, has never and will never be considered starting material by the NFL. Even the Colts would find a reason to keep him at #3 on the depth chart if Harrison or Wayne ever retired or went down with an injury. Just look at last year - one of the two went down and Stokely continued to man the slot position.

This year really needs to be a big year for Matt Jones and Drew Bennett. A lot of white college wide recievers careers in the NFL are riding on their performances. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

lumsdenpower

Mentor
This year really needs to be a big year for Matt Jones and Drew Bennett. A lot of white college wide recievers careers in the NFL are riding on their performances

Don't forget Joe Jerivicius and Kevin Curtis
They have great chance to have 1000yards seasons

bigunreal

Mentor
All I have read on Fantasy Football sites since the Stallworth trade is that some typical unknown black WR named Colston is going to be handed the starting job opposite Horn. Also, the thoroughly non-acclaimed Jamal Jones-whom the Saints apparently signed as a no-name off the streets-is the favorite to be the #3 WR. Let's see- we have heard repeatedly that Mike Hass was impressive throughout camp, catching everything thrown his way, and he comes to the team as a highly productive college WR, yet he cannot beat out some working stiff named Jamal as the team's #3 WR? I hate to sound like a broken record, folks, but here is yet another example of what we face in Don King's America today. No jock-sniffer will point out the obvious discimination here. No coach will make decisions based on logic or skill level when race is involved, much as no boss in the working world is permitted to do so. If they weren't white, we all know that Chase Lyman and Mike Hass would be considered two of the top 3 WRs on that team.

nj816

It looks like your assessment of the Saints wide receiver situation is on the money based on this article from DraftDaddy:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0830/SPORTS/608300337/1006/SPORTS

Of all the blatant discrimation against white receivers, the New Orleans situation could turn out to be the most overt yet. It appears conceivable that Hass, Lyman and Chris Horn could all be cut. If Hass is cut it would be the biggest travesty carried out by the caste system since Luke Staley.

However, we should respect the fact that these receivers are going up against the great talents of Devery Henderson, Marques Colston, Jamal Jones? & Michael Lewis. WTF!!!!!!

Henderson certainly has an impressive resume with his 22 catches over two years. I guess a white receiver with the same numbers could be handed the number two receiver position on an NFL team, just ask Marc Boerigter.

Ah yes, but then lets really stick it to whitey by keeping a seventh round pick from a Division I-AA school and a guy named Jamal Jones that has already been cut numerous times. I'm sure some of the Katrina "victims" could be brought in off the street and given as much respect as Lyman and Hass.

It is utterly mind-boggling that the article states Henderson has trouble holding onto the ball. No big deal there I guess.

Meanwhile we have Colston whose best attribute seems to be that he is 6'4 according to the article, hey isn't Chase Lyman 6'4 with above average speed and hands, oh that's right I forgot Colston's best attribute-he's BLACK.

And it is obvious that Jamal Jones' first name isn't going to set him back any. But as the article points out Jones has been quite impressive in practice and his upside I'm certain is unlimited.

Of course these guys have much more upside than Chase Lyman and Hass, who won some type of award as the best receiver in the country this pass year. I thought that was for the best receiver in college football, but maybe I was mistaken and it was actually for some flag football league in North Dakota.

But don't worry, the writer of the sees to it that he gives the white receivers the usual back handed compliments. Kind of like patting a dog on the head before you euthanize it. Except in the case of Hass, Lyman and Horn, dogs are shown more respect.