Mike Hass Impressive

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I keep waiting to log on and find out that Haas has been cut.

I feel it is almost inevitable, regardless of his perfomance in training camp and on the field last year.

But then again, maybe I am just defending him because he is white, like Billy Volek.

Maybe?

Maybe not.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
With the trading of Stallworth, Hass is (was) in the perfect situation to play right away and to start. He's earned it with his incredible productivity at Oregon State and his great training camp with the Saints.

I was thinking earlier tonight about how "brave" Richie Kotite was in 1995 when he promoted then-rookie Wayne Chrebet to starting wide receiver. Chrebet was a small, free agentreceiver with decent speed who had played at a small college program. Kotite remains the only NFL head coach in the pastgeneration to give a white receiver, heralded or unheralded, an opportunity right off the bat. And of course Chrebet went on to have an excellent career.

Not one head coach since has had enough spine to do what Kotite did and was rewarded for. Then I read what's going on with the Saints, which if it turns out Hass is cut has to rank up there with any Caste System atrocity. And who does it look like may be one of the "affletes" who beats out Hass? Marques Colston, out of the same small program as Wayne Chrebet -- Hofstra. But does anyone want to bet me that Colston's career, unlike Chrebet's,will be anything but forgettable? There's a sick irony here somewhere.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's a good point about Rich Kotite.He was a better coach than people realize.It's so frustrating that almost no white rookie wide receivers ever get to play right away.Matt Jones is one of the very rare exceptions.This takes away almost any chance of becoming a number 1 receiver and also hurts any hall of fame chances.You have to put up monster numbers every year for at least a decade to have a chance at the hall.That is almost impossible for these receivers today.

The pressure on Mike Hass and Chase Lyman will be intense tonight.If they are cut,I will never watch a Saints Game again.My gut feeling is that Hass will make the team and Chase will be cut.The injury thing is only allowed with black players.Look at what happened to Luke Staley.They ran him out of football despite his return to health and preseason success.Lyman deserves a fair shot.I hope I can watch some of this game tonight.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm still so angry about Mike Hass,David Anderson and so many others.Even John Standeford still is on the practice squad for the 2nd or 3rd year in a row.That is the same treatment almost all of these kids get.If they ever play,they will be pushing 30 by the time they get a chance.What a joke.Even Lumsden has had no calls.The NFL sucks.I still prefer college.At least some of the teams have the guts to play more white athletes and actually alow them to be the stars on offense.

surfsider

Guru
Another "sick irony" Don is that players like Hass and Standeford are put on practice squads most likely as examples to the the affletes as to how to play the position. And to school the DBs. As long as no one sees it happening whites can contribute at the skill positions in the NFL.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i was very bitter after this preseason... (although fine performances of week 1 by many of those previously rejected or not given credit athletes restored my excitement a little)...

we have guys like Hass, Standeford, Fox, Lumsden, Rob Lee, Leonhard not even given a shade of chance to star... i pray for a day that one of the GMs will be smart enough to actually gather some of those "rejects" and mold them into a great team... all it would take is one guy, imagine an offense with white backs, receivers and defense with more than one or two white lineman and LBs... hell, even safeties and a corner could be white!

JD074

Master
surfsider said:
Another "sick irony" Don is that players like Hass and Standeford are put on practice squads most likely as examples to the the affletes as to how to play the position. And to school the DBs. As long as no one sees it happening whites can contribute at the skill positions in the NFL.

That's a fascinating theory.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well we know that Jim Kelly said that Steve Tasker couldn't be covered in practice and Tasker wasn't allowed to play receiver during games until the very end of his long career. There's been so many white receivers who look tremendous in preseason games but they are almost always cut or banished to the no-man's land of the practice squad.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Its a good point, but its just another example of how white football players have been squeezed out of the game for many years now. The practice squad is the perfect place to be for the "inferior" athletes.

Triad

Mentor
Any updates on Haas and the Bear's practice squad?
Here are the talents currently on the active roster ahead of Haas:

Bernard BerrianWR 6-1 180, Fresno State
Mark BradleyWR 6-1 200 Oklahoma
Rashied DavisWR 5-9 180 San Jose State
Justin Gage WR 6-4 212 Missouri
Muhsin MuhammadWR 6-2 215 Michigan State
Airese CurrieWR 5-11 185 Clemson

Here are the six Saints' receivers active: Joe Horn, Lance Moore, Jamal Jones, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper.

Also some interesting quotes about Haas from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Although Hass was an outstanding player in high school, most college scouts felt his limited size and speed would prevent him from excelling at the collegiate level, Hass was not offered a football scholarship by any NCAA Division I schools, and ended up as a walk-on at Oregon State.[

At the 2006 NFL Combine, Hass (unofficially) ran an 4.61 second 40-yard dash[3], a relatively slow time for a wide receiver, but was reportedly very impressive during the catching drills.
Edited by: Triad

Mike Hass is just too good not to be a success in the NFL....hes one guy i feel that has the work ethic to succeed in the Negro Football League..it may take him a few years to catch on...and he will no doubt in the near future be cut in favour of a 4.8 40 yard black Division IIreceiver with stone hands.But you dont get from being a walk on to becoming one of the greatest receivers in college football history by quiting.Hass wont quit .
smiley32.gif

Kaptain

Master
Yet another week were dropped passes were featured in nearly every game. It's become an epidemic in todays NFL. After several dropped passes throughout the Vikings/49ers game, Troy Williamson dropped a can of corn on 3rd down on the Vikings final drive. Vikes lose. The announcers mentioned how he has had difficulty catching the ball this year! Geez, I wonder if we can find somebody to replace him. Now who can actually catch the ball? ...... let me think hummmmm.........

The lack of speed excuse that's used soley to bench white recievers is not only inaccurate but it's not even the main redquirement for a WR - catching the damn ball is. Seriously, how many catches are actually due to blazing speed? Most of the ones I see are due to the reciever running to the soft spot in the zone and the qb delivering the ball to the right location. The NFL is looking like a bunch of pick-up games instead of a professional league.Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The hands of stone of the "great" Terrell Owens has cost the Cowboys two of their last three games. Against the Giants on their Monday night game he dropped a simple, perfectly thrownpass on a crucial fourth down with no defender anywhere near him. Yesterday he dropped a perfectly thrown deep pass that would have resulted in a touchdown, thus avoiding the bizarre ending to a game that Dallas ended up losing to Washington. But almost all the media attention this week will be to replay over and over Owens "taking a nap" after scoring on a short TD pass.

But the epidemic of dropped passes in the NFLis nothing new. The fact is that many blacks have poor hands, just as many are poor at throwing. J. B. Cash nailed it with his spacial cognition column. The slight advantage blacks have in speed on average isdwarfed bythe large advantage whites have in hand-eye coordination. There are of course exceptions as some black receivers have great hands, but to call many of those playing in the NFL "professional receivers" is quite a stretch.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Terry Bradshaw blasted TO for the drop on Sunday, but the black Fox analyst and Howie Long both acted like they shouldn't criticize him for it.

Terry replied in a very heated manner to the effect "that all those millions weren't for complaining on the sidelines and dropped touchdown catches; they were for making plays. TO cost them the game!" i've never seen him so angry on the air! ha!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Berrian will be out 2-4 weeks...no word on if Hass is going to be called up from the practice squad...ill keep everyone posted.

xc1427

It seems pretty damned obvious that the majority of NFL wide receivers need to join the Steve Largent Pass Catching Academy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of which, Largent is now 14th all-time in receptions. He was first when he retired less than 20 years ago. The only one of the 13 now ahead of him who could be called fast is Isaac Bruce, and even that's debatable. Bruce in his prime was not as fast as Kevin Curtis.

And speaking of Curtis, since Bruce is now 10th all time in receptions, I'd say the odds against him passing up Bruce to be the numbertwo receiver on the Ramsare very remote. It would be "dissing" Bruce to demote him until he reaches theadvanced state of decaythat Jerry Rice and Tim Brown did before they didn't start, i.e. until he's 40 years old and the slowest player on the roster. We know Curtis is smart; as an UFA after this season he better use his brain power and sign with a team that will start him, assuming there is one in the virulently racist NFL.

Don Wassall said:
And speaking of Curtis, since Bruce is now 10th all time in receptions, I'd say the odds against him passing up Bruce to be the number two receiver on the Rams are very remote.  It would be "dissing" Bruce to demote him until he reaches the advanced state of decay that Jerry Rice and Tim Brown did before they didn't start, i.e. until he's 40 years old and the slowest player on the roster.  We know Curtis is smart; as an UFA after this season he better use his brain power and sign with a team that will start him, assuming there is one in the virulently racist NFL.

Maybe if Martz actually gets the head job in AZ...of cours,e there are two young black players who are both pretty good, so he'd still end up sitting. Its a no-win for Curtis.
smiley19.gif

jared

Mentor
curtis definitely has a place on the lions' roster if martz stays put. that would be a potent trio with him, furrey, and roy williams. although, it would be nice to see curtis take on a more prominent role without taking catches away from another white wr like furrey. i could see minnesota, new england, and detroit all showing interest when the season's over.

Deacon

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Terry Bradshaw blasted TO for the drop on Sunday, but the black Fox analyst and Howie Long both acted like they shouldn't criticize him for it.

Terry replied in a very heated manner to the effect "that all those millions weren't for complaining on the sidelines and dropped touchdown catches; they were for making plays. TO cost them the game!" i've never seen him so angry on the air! ha!

Even the black guy Mike Wilbon on PTI said TO cost Dallas the game!

xc1427

Don, you are correct on the fact that the all-time leaders in receptions were not fast. It seems to me that they were quick off of the snap and knew where the holes in zone defenses were going to be.

Thanks,
xc1427

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think the discrimination shown to Mike
Hass is right up there with Luke
Staley Eric Crouch and Travis Jervey. The guy is only
slightly slower than average remember he ran a 4.5 and 4.58 at Proday
and he's very quick and a good route runner with hands of glue with amazing football smarts. I
looked on the packers draft scouting reports and noticed that the
average speed of "drafted" NFL receivers in the last few years is
mid to low 4.5's. Mike Hass also posted an elite 3 cone time and a
vertical of 36.5 inches at Proday.

Lastly Im a newbie here, but I don't
think using the term "Negroe" helps the cause of this site. If your
trying to fight the PC police "Negroe" which I've seen used several
times (although previously in a joking context) has been an
outdated term since
the 50's in the North, and late 60's even in the South another words a
very long time. Although I wouldn't mind having people use the word
mullato to describe bi-racials. That was only recently for some
unknown reason been labeled racist (probabley by Jesse Jackson, lol)..
Curb your enthusiasm even had a joke about it. I also don't think
it's wise to stereotype races as I've seen on this site such as calling
Arabs "car-burners" The site should stick to crime in sports and
political issues such as affirmative action and nationalism to be taken
seriously. using broad stereotypes everywhere only makes people see the
site as a bunch of racist whites!

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins