Mike Hass Impressive

devans

Mentor
Martz and Hass would be a great combination.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Saints draft pick Hass catches on with Bears
Offseason workout ban hurt his progress, so WR went to Chicago
Thursday, February 01, 2007
By Jimmy Smith
Staff writer
MIAMI GARDENS, FLA. -- He won't have a spot on the active roster Sunday in Super Bowl XLI, but wide receiver Mike Hass -- Saints fans will remember him as the team's sixth-round draft pick last year -- will be on the Bears' sideline.

Hass was a victim of the numbers game in New Orleans, getting pushed out at the end of training camp when he fell well back into the long line of receivers attempting to secure five or six roster spots.

The former Biletnikoff Award winner from Oregon was at a competitive disadvantage last spring and summer when he was unable to participate in the Saints' offseason program because of an odd rule that prohibited him from doing so because his class had not yet graduated.

"That's something that definitely hurt me," said Hass, who then became a member of the Bears' practice squad. "When they'd install things, I was just learning it and everybody else was going over it. So that was probably the hardest thing."

As was the sheer number of bodies at wide receiver, where the Saints eventually kept five players.

"It just didn't work out," Hass said. "They (the Saints) wanted me on their practice squad, but I thought this was a better situation, so I came here. I had to decide pretty quick. The thing was, I saw myself getting cut by (the Saints) because they really didn't play me in the last three preseason games.

"You can kind of tell. So it was something I was thinking about for a couple of weeks before they did it. I just feel I really didn't have a chance to get comfortable. The first week, they gave me opportunities, and I was learning the offense. After that, they kind of pushed me back to the back of the line. But I've got no hard feelings, that's for sure. I came here, and we had a great season."

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1170 31498120570.xml&coll=1