Winter Olympics

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wonder what we here in the U.S. would say were they to try and change the name of one of our cities because it has 'romanticism' and 'rolls off your mouth.'
smiley5.gif

Personally, I prefer Turin to Torino, because Torino makes me think of old cars.
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
"Torino" is "Turin" in Italian. But unless NBC plans to broadcast the rest of the Games in Italian, it should pronounce the name of the city as it's known in English.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
"Torino" is "Turin" in Italian. But unless NBC plans to broadcast the rest of the Games in Italian, it should pronounce the name of the city as it's known in English.

You lost me, Don. The name of the city is "Turin, Italy," as in the "Shroud of Turin?" Is it pronounced Torino in English or Turin in English?

Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
TORINO</font>

1976 Gran, that is.

1976torino1.jpg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's Turin in English, as it was referred to up till now in all references to the Games there, and Torino in Italian. Ebersole changed it to Torino on the eve of the Games and the rest of the media followed suit.

Poacher

Mentor
Joey Cheek wins men's 500 meters. Man these guys are a breath of fresh air.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
TORINO</font>

1976 Gran, that is.

1976torino1.jpg

Love that Starsky and Hutch mobile!

Kinda glad Michelle Kwan is gone. She has gotten the Wie treatment for years, an underacheiving Asian American that gets 100 times the press of better white skaters.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as Don has mentioned, Turin is the Anglicized version of the Italian city Torino. for Americans "journalists" to call it Torino is a joke. it would be like suddenly calling the German city of Munich by its German pronunciation, München.

or kind of like when the white anchorman suddenly has a Spanish accent for about two seconds when they're doing a story about "Nicaragua". (it is necessary to say Nicaragua with a heavily lilted Spanish accent while having a stupid, cow-eyed expression on your face to re-create the effect.)

Bart

Hall of Famer
I've read a few articles about Joey Cheek. He's smart, is an Olympic Gold Medalist and seems like a very decent man. Wouldn't it be nice JUST ONCE to read about a sports hero or celebrity who had as much compassion for fellow whites in distress as they do blacks?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/speed/columns/story?i d=2329588

He's an Olympic champion after being the only 500-meter speedskater to break 70 seconds in two rounds of competition Monday, and he took his 15 seconds of fame to announce in a post-victory news conference that he will donate every penny of the $25,000 he wins from the USOC to refugees in the Darfur region of the Sudan. Cheek also called on his sponsors to match or beat that pledge.

"The best way to thank someone," he said, "is by helping someone else."

Here's your Olympic hero, America. Or maybe we should say, "Here's your boy, Red, White and Blue!"

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
My Dad had one of these, a 71 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ. The baddest production Torino ever made.

ford-fairlane-1b.jpg

Poacher

Mentor
Damn, I didn't know that about Cheek. That sucks. Oh well, at least the media will like him.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Did anybody see the disgusting interview with USA figure skating champion Johnny Weir? He is obviously gay to the point of flaunting it and having people call him a "Diva" He said his critics were "republican oriented" and they could "eat it". I guess figure skating attracts guys like this. He's worse than Rudy Galindo. Remember him? It was nice to see Ted Ligety win the first alpine event for a american in ten years. You would have thought it would be Bode Miller but Ted did it. What a upset!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Given the advance of the homosexual agenda throughout the Western world along with the notable percentage of homosexual male skaters, it's only a matter of time until "gay" couples figure skating is added to the Winter Games.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Given the advance of the homosexual agenda throughout the Western world along with the notable percentage of homosexual male skaters, it's only a matter of time until "gay" couples figure skating is added to the Winter Games.

Should I
smiley36.gif
or
smiley11.gif
at this ?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Both! The post was funny but the likely possibility of Gay couples skating in a very near future Olympics is sad. Why wouldn't they do some samegender pairs skating in the future? They could be sued someday if they don't. I'll take the tradeoff if they put mma in the olympics!

guest301

Hall of Famer
It was nice to see self-described "fashionista" US figure skater Johnny Weir crash and burn tonight. He totally choked under pressure tonight and will end up no better than fourth and out of medal contention. He said all his "republican oriented critics could eat it". Who's eating crow now. We are really debased as a culture that guys like this can so easily come out of the closet with no shame at all. I don't hate the guy but I have no respect for him and what a terrible representative for our country. What's a fashionista?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Sportscenter just said that Johnny Weir stormed out of the rink area when they posted his scores, he also blamed his performance on a faulty bus schedule to the rink and said he had no inner peace today..that he had lost his "aura" and felt black inside. What a wus! Who talks like that?

foreverfree

Mentor
guest301 said:
Both! The post was funny but the likely possibility of Gay couples skating in a very near future Olympics is sad. Why wouldn't they do some samegender pairs skating in the future? They could be sued someday if they don't. I'll take the tradeoff if they put mma in the olympics!

What's MMA? Jog my memory.

John

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
foreverfree said:
White Shogun said:
Mixed Martial Arts, like Ultimate Fighting Championship, Pride, etc. Also known as No Holds Barred/NHB.

www.ufc.tv
www.pridefc.com

Sorry, I'm not a martial arts fan.

John
If you don't know what MMA is, I didn't think you'd be a fan of martial arts.
smiley36.gif

But hey, you asked.
smiley2.gif

Hilarious! I have to admit, I've watched the interviews with America's snowboarding champions during the Olympics, and I believe this girl did us all a favor by losing, and thus sparing us the embarassment of having another one of these stoners give an interview to a worldwide audience.

"Yeah, dude, I was shreddin' it pretty good, feelin' it the whole way down, just doin' my thaaaang...I botched the topside ollie and had to land fakey but it's all good, you know."

One of the women snowboarders actually said "We have to go pee in a cup, now!" at the end of an interview. Real nice, Sweetie. You're all class, babydoll, I'm sure the 'rents are real proud of you.

I cringe when I hear Americans talking like this. I really wish the US could perform well in the REAL events, and not just the events that NBC had put into the Olympics to guarantee medals for the US. (Women's ice hockey?).

hedgehog

Mentor
Can someone tell me how many more days before Shani Davis skates? I am holding my breathe that a black wins a gold medal so we can call winter olmpic competitors athletes.

Poacher

Mentor
Deep thoughts with Poacher:

So I'm assuming that all of the people who complain about the Winter Olympics being "too white" are going to be in a twist over the new SI Swimsuit issue wherein the models are all white. Right?

More to the point, I'm getting tired of people making fun of these games and I think it will only get worse as the years go by. If that black wins any kind of medal at all they'll say he "saved the Olympics" or some such nonsense.

Why did I smile and gloat when I heard the U.S. women lost to the Swedes in hockey? Am I not a patriot? Do I hate women? What gives? I think it was because sports writers (especially the new female sportswriters) love to say how the women out-perform the men whenever they win medals and we don't. Maybe it's because every time a woman wins a medal it's portrayed as an implied victory for feminism and "women's rights." Another nail in our collective coffin.