Winter Olympics

Kaptain

Master
Chad shouldn't shut-up anymore than we should shut-up about the matter of race and sports. We need more white athletes to speak their mind. Actually, I wish Chad wasn't as kind as he has been to Davis. Yes the media will always lampoon the white guy, but so what? The meeker we become the more they will attack us. Just check out all the white guys who have apologized for saying something un-PC. It didn't help them at all.

Shani Davis didn't participate in team meetings, didn't stay with the team in Italy, refused to particpate in the opening ceremonies, and withdrew from the team Pursuit. And he's whining about not getting a hand shake???- gimme a break! Does he think he's Jesse Owens? I say Chad should mercilessly rip him to piecies in interviews. Never apologize and never back-off.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
If you think that anybody outside of Italy is talking about how great Fabrice is after winning that event, you're mistaken.

And people are talking about Hedrick/ Davis as if it means something? They should get a life, chat about something important like Tomkat or American Idol.
smiley36.gif

Seriously though, Winter Olympics are pretty boring (too much figure skating, for starters) it's no wonder something like this gets any attention whatsoever. Sports are a lot more boring than people care to admit, otherwise something like this wouldn't make a blip on the radar screen. Gambling, fantasy sports, video games, merchandise, and controversies (no matter how trivial,) are more central than the actual competition.

JD074

Master
Kaptain Poop said:
Chad shouldn't shut-up anymore than we should shut-up about the matter of race and sports.

We're not athletes in the public spotlight. We're sitting comfortably and safely in our homes, at our computers, where what we say won't destroy our careers.

Kaptain Poop said:
We need more white athletes to speak their mind.

No, we need more white non-athletes to speak their minds. We need more white athletes with great careers. If that means abiding by unfair rules and double standards, so be it. We're talking about the real world here, not cyberspace.

Kaptain Poop said:
Actually, I wish Chad wasn't as kind as he has been to Davis.

It's not about being kind. Being kind to non-whites is against my beliefs. It's about not putting a bull's eye on one's chest.

Kaptain Poop said:
Yes the media will always lampoon the white guy, but so what?

So it's something that he can't control. It's a risk. An unnecessary risk.

Kaptain Poop said:
The meeker we become the more they will attack us.

Not meek, intelligent, realistic, seeking self-preservation, furthering one's career.

Kaptain Poop said:
Just check out all the white guys who have apologized for saying something un-PC. It didn't help them at all.

You can't apologize for something you didn't say.

Kaptain Poop said:
Shani Davis didn't participate in team meetings, didn't stay with the team in Italy, refused to particpate in the opening ceremonies, and withdrew from the team Pursuit.

Same old black athlete BS. Do people not know what jerks these guys are? If not, then their IQ's are not high enough to comprehend anything we have to say anyway. Really, it's a waste of time trying to convince dumb people about how dumb they are. Goes right over their heads.

Kaptain Poop said:
I say Chad should mercilessly rip him to piecies in interviews. Never apologize and never back-off.

No, that's what everybody else should be doing. Why is that his responsbility? F*ck that. Hedrick is a young, talented, handsome, white, American athlete. He should be focussed on building his career, not having stupid verbal battles that the media is going to use against him. White athletes should come across as the "strong and silent type," like Tom Brady. Some people still like that sort of thing... good people.

Deacon

Guru
Speaking of Joey Cheek....

"White Olympian Joey Cheek Gives His $40,000 Gold Medal Bonuses To Africa"

Cheek's generosity rates medal
Speed skater's donation more significant than Davis' win
J.A. Adande, Los Angeles Times

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Turin, Italy -- The greatest moment for black people at these Olympics was not when Shani Davis won his speedskating gold medal. It was when Joey Cheek won his.

Davis became the first African American to win an individual gold in the Winter Olympics when he beat the field in the 1,000-meter event. As he said, "It's a breakthrough, but it's what people make of it."

Is it a victory for the black kids who teased him when he wore his speedskating tights or a Bonnie Blair sweatshirt when he was younger? Is it a victory for the black people, including Bryant Gumbel, who say they don't watch the Winter Olympics?

After Cheek won the 500-meter gold he announced he would give his $25,000 United States Olympic Committee bonus money to Right to Play, an organization that promotes health and opportunities through sports for disadvantaged children around the world. Later, Cheek also donated the $15,000 he earned by finishing second to Davis in the 1,000.

When I look at Right to Play's Web site, promotional pamphlets and the videos playing in the temporary office at the Olympic village, I see black kids. Lots of black kids. Smiling black kids.

Cheek wants his donation to go to Sudanese refugees living in Chad. Ethnic clashes in the Darfur region of the Sudan led to mass killings and the displacement of more than a million people.

"After years of (training) and years of people sacrificing so I can be the best in the world, I feel that it is imperative for myself, and also for anyone else who's able to reach a pinnacle of their career or whatever they're striving for, to reach out a hand and help somebody else," Cheek said.

What does the money mean? Conrad Alleblas, an associate director in Right to Play's Dutch fundraising and marketing office, said that for the programs he works with in Uganda, a year's worth of sports and play programs for one child costs $15 to $20.

"We use these games to teach children about health and their body and teamwork," Alleblas said. "If you look at $40,000, it's approximately two to two-and-a-half thousand children. That's a big commitment."

And that's just one, suddenly small part of the wave of giving Cheek inspired. Responding to Cheek's challenge, his corporate sponsors have pledged more than $250,000. Money from individual donors has pushed the grand total over $300,000.

The day after Cheek's 500-meter victory, the number of hits on righttoplay.com jumped to 90,000 -- an increase of almost 80,000 above the normal daily traffic.

"My colleagues in Holland, they are all like this on the telephone," Alleblas said, picking up imaginary phones with his left and right hands.

Speedskating is the No. 1 winter sport in Holland so anything that happens in that domain is huge. Cheek's donation "was mentioned on all of the newspapers and TV channels," Alleblas said. "It is the talk of the day in Holland."

How did Cheek, a native of Greensboro, N.C., who looks like a 20-something Opie Taylor, come to feel so responsible for the welfare of thousands of African kids he'd never met? For one thing, speedskating got him traveling. And when you leave the United States, you escape the news cocoon that blocks out 99 percent of the events that occur outside our borders.

So while CNN focused its attention on celebrity court cases and the latest missing blond woman, Cheek was watching the sister station, CNN International, which covers real issues around the world. He was riveted by the Sudan story when the violence escalated in 2003.

"I found it odd that it was such a big story overseas and I came home and so rarely did I see any coverage," Cheek said. "If anything, it was a little crawler across the bottom. Our State Department declared genocide. I found it amazing that there would be such an enormous thing -- 'genocide,' that word conjures up, 'Holocaust' -- a hundred thousand people killed by a government, and no one even knew about it. I don't think anyone even knew where Darfur was. In fact, before I started traveling, I couldn't tell you where Darfur was, either. That was why I chose that specific region and why I wanted to focus on one area."

The region is so unstable that Cheek can't visit it. He'll be part of a Right to Play delegation to Zambia, where the organization will promote HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention. But Right to Play founder and CEO Johann Olav Koss assured Cheek his money would will go toward helping the Darfur refugees.

The way Koss sounded at a news conference Thursday, I think he'd do whatever Cheek asked.

Koss, a four-time speedskating Olympic gold medalist from Norway, had followed Cheek's career and met him in passing, but had never really known Cheek before Cheek requested a meeting two weeks ago.

"We were talking about a lot of different things in our lives, particularly Joey's wish to help children in need and his compassion and also his thinking about what he's been doing on the ice rink and how he could use that leverage for much bigger things," Koss said.

"I came away from the conversation, (as) always admiring him as a speed skater, but I'm even more impressed as an individual. Not only from his compassion and his person as giving to others but also his intellectual capacity and his ability to think in much larger aspects of the world.

"I was stunned, because it was only three days before his race. I know the pressure you are under and I know what you go through in those days, but he had time to meet with me and have coffee and kind of relax. I thought 'Wow, this is a truly remarkable individual.' "

Cheek is remarkable, which is why it isn't fair to hold anyone else to his standard. What they do with the bonus money they earn is entirely their privilege.

Davis, as before the Olympics, will work with kids of all races, encouraging them to pursue their dreams. His message: "Stick with it."

Now he can use the gold medal as proof, after all of the years he finished in 10th or 11th place. He says it doesn't matter what the pursuit, be it an Olympic gold medal, a Heisman trophy or a Golden Globe award, it can be accomplished.

Cheek is providing the ultimate example of what you can do after you reach your dream.

An image behind him at the press conference showed an African kid doing his best Joey Cheek impersonation, his torso bent over and his arm flying straight up like a speed skater coming down a straightaway, a reminder that inspiration and affiliation can cross oceans, borders and even racial lines.

Deacon

Guru
The article was written by JA Adande who regularly appears on ESPN's Around The Horn. The guy is light-skinned as heck but I guess identifies himself as being black. He's also boring as hell to watch.

So while CNN focused its attention on celebrity court cases and the latest missing blond woman, Cheek was watching the sister station, CNN International, which covers real issues around the world.
Yeah, the latest missing blond woman isn't a real issue at all, is it? "Who cares about a missing white bitch!"

When I look at Right to Play's Web site, promotional pamphlets and the videos playing in the temporary office at the Olympic village, I see black kids. Lots of black kids. Smiling black kids.
So they have their silly little videos playing at the nearly all-white olympics? "Feel sorry for us whitey!" Maybe they're pushing for some of the athletes to adopt them. Pull an Angelina Jolie, or something.

Blacks...that's all anybody ever gives a f**k about! Black this and black that. Whites are demeaned as being the oppresser of blacks and yet, whitey is the one helping blacks the most. Why couldn't he have donated his money to the whites who were run out of Zimbabwe?

BTW, Joey, when the writer compared you to Opie, it wasn't a compliment, it was an insult. You give money to blacks and then you have other blacks making fun of you. Funny.
Edited by: Deacon

Kaptain

Master
JD074 said:
Kaptain Poop said:
Chad shouldn't shut-up anymore than we should shut-up about the matter of race and sports.

We're not athletes in the public spotlight. We're sitting comfortably and safely in our homes, at our computers, where what we say won't destroy our careers.

Kaptain Poop said:
We need more white athletes to speak their mind.

No, we need more white non-athletes to speak their minds. We need more white athletes with great careers. If that means abiding by unfair rules and double standards, so be it. We're talking about the real world here, not cyberspace.

Kaptain Poop said:
Actually, I wish Chad wasn't as kind as he has been to Davis.

It's not about being kind. Being kind to non-whites is against my beliefs. It's about not putting a bull's eye on one's chest.

Kaptain Poop said:
Yes the media will always lampoon the white guy, but so what?

So it's something that he can't control. It's a risk. An unnecessary risk.

Kaptain Poop said:
The meeker we become the more they will attack us.

Not meek, intelligent, realistic, seeking self-preservation, furthering one's career.

Kaptain Poop said:
Just check out all the white guys who have apologized for saying something un-PC. It didn't help them at all.

You can't apologize for something you didn't say.

Kaptain Poop said:
Shani Davis didn't participate in team meetings, didn't stay with the team in Italy, refused to particpate in the opening ceremonies, and withdrew from the team Pursuit.

Same old black athlete BS. Do people not know what jerks these guys are? If not, then their IQ's are not high enough to comprehend anything we have to say anyway. Really, it's a waste of time trying to convince dumb people about how dumb they are. Goes right over their heads.

Kaptain Poop said:
I say Chad should mercilessly rip him to piecies in interviews. Never apologize and never back-off.

No, that's what everybody else should be doing. Why is that his responsbility? F*ck that. Hedrick is a young, talented, handsome, white, American athlete. He should be focussed on building his career, not having stupid verbal battles that the media is going to use against him. White athletes should come across as the "strong and silent type," like Tom Brady. Some people still like that sort of thing... good people.

JD, in reply to all of this I would have to just say the following:

How does Hedrick criticizing Davis hurt his career? Had he not done this you probably wouldn't have heard of the guy or realized that the US actually had white speed skaters that won medals.

Black athletes speak their mind all the time and it never hurts them. Why? Because they ALL do it boldly and unapologitically.

The unfair rules you speak of where written and acted out by us -white people. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the media or anybody else to stick up for white athletes if they don't even try to stick up for themselves.

No one said white athletes have to make racists comments and ruin their career. Just boldly stick up for themselves - that's all I'm saying. All in all I think Chad did do a decent job of speaking his mind - at least he didn't just quietly sit there and donate all his money to black sudanese affletes while a black teammate thumbed his nose at the entire team, country, and olympic games.

speedster

Mentor
Why should these athletes give their gold medal bonuses away.They should spend it on themselves.

"Black athletes speak their mind all the time and it never hurts them. Why? Because they ALL do it boldly and unapologitically."

Uhhhh...not exactly. Blacks also have the massive support of the enormous jewish-controlled mass media monopoly, which not only allows but actually promotes the ability of blacks to "talk down" Whitey. Whites will never have that freedom, under our current system.

JD074

Master
Kaptain Poop said:
How does Hedrick criticizing Davis hurt his career?

It doesn't help. He'll be fine, but in general white athletes should choose their words very carefully. They need to be selfish and build up their careers. Having a row with a now "legendary" black athlete- regardless of his faults- can't be beneficial. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Kaptain Poop said:
Black athletes speak their mind all the time and it never hurts them. Why? Because they ALL do it boldly and unapologitically.

It is the height of naivete to think that outspoken whites are going to be respected as long as they are "bold" and "unapologetic." Blacks are allowed to be bold and unapologetic.

Kaptain Poop said:
The unfair rules you speak of where written and acted out by us -white people.

Well, then maybe we should focus on our many faults, and not on the Black Jerk of the Month.

Kaptain Poop said:
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the media or anybody else to stick up for white athletes if they don't even try to stick up for themselves.

They should stick up for themselves behind the scenes, where it really matters. You think Roger Clemens or Tom Brady would allow a black teammate to bully them? I hope not. Do it away from the reporters and cameras.

Kaptain Poop said:
All in all I think Chad did do a decent job of speaking his mind - at least he didn't just quietly sit there and donate all his money to black sudanese affletes while a black teammate thumbed his nose at the entire team, country, and olympic games.

That we can agree on. Whites should never give charity to non-whites, ever.

Edited by: JD074

Kaptain

Master
JD074 said:
It is the height of naivete to think that outspoken whites are going to be respected as long as they are "bold" and "unapologetic." Blacks are allowed to be bold and unapologetic.

Thanks for the newsflash JD and Southern Knight! I would have never figured out that blacks are treated differently without you're help. The arguement here is whether whites should play the "strong silent type" (as you call it) or speak up for themselves. Nobody, least of all me, has any illusions about the media's bias.Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Kaptain

Master
JD074 said:
Well, then maybe we should focus on our many faults, and not on the Black Jerk of the Month.

We focus on both. What was it your were saying Hedrick did wrong again? Were his comments inaccurate? Selfish?

Kaptain

Master
JD074 said:
They should stick up for themselves behind the scenes, where it really matters. You think Roger Clemens or Tom Brady would allow a black teammate to bully them? I hope not. Do it away from the reporters and cameras.

Roger Clemens and Tom Brady are already icons and play positions dominated by whites. A more fair comparison would be of athletes like Joe Jurevicius. Joe has keep his mouth shut every where he has been. He has never demanded to be a starter even when it has been obvious to most (even in the media) that he was the best reciever on the team. What would have happened had Joe demanded to start and get the "damn ball" as so many black athletes demand? My guess is that he may have gotten his wish but we will never know. It certainly wouldn't have hurt his chances. Coaches and owners are swayed by public opinion more than they would like to admit. When white athletes keep their mouth shut and accept their role playing second fiddle to a lesser black athlete, coaches are inclined to think they belong on the bench. How many times have we heard white athletes define themselves as role players, non-starters, and unathletic? countless.

The "good teammate" "Ahh, chucks I'm just happy to be here" attitude will find your butt planted firmly on the bench.

Last question. How do you do multiple quotes in one posting? I can't believe I don't know this after being a member here this long - but I don't. What's the trick?Edited by: Kaptain Poop

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have the same question Kaptain Poop.

JD074

Master
Kaptain Poop said:
Thanks for the newsflash JD and Southern Knight! I would have never figured out that blacks are treated differently without you're help. The arguement here is whether whites should play the "strong silent type" (as you call it) or speak up for themselves.

Well, let's be clear on this. You wrote:

Kaptain Poop said:

They key word is "because," and that's what makes it untrue.

Kaptain Poop said:
We focus on both. What was it your were saying Hedrick did wrong again? Were his comments inaccurate? Selfish?

Who cares? The media doesn't. He put a bull's eye on his chest and that's not something that white athletes can afford to do.

Kaptain Poop said:
Roger Clemens and Tom Brady are already icons and play positions dominated by whites.

Dominated by whites... you mean, like speed skating?
smiley2.gif

Kaptain Poop said:
What would have happened had Joe demanded to start and get the "damn ball" as so many black athletes demand? My guess is that he may have gotten his wish but we will never know.

Again, it's not about what they say behind the scenes, but in front of the cameras, that is the issue here. But don't assume that a coach is going to give in to a white player's demands. Complaining didn't work for Darko in Detroit. Let's be clear again: how a coach responds to a white player, no matter how bold, is different than how he responds to a black player.

Kaptain Poop said:
The "good teammate" "Ahh, chucks I'm just happy to be here" attitude will find your butt planted firmly on the bench.

I think you're confusing the symptom with the cause. Being white puts your butt on the bench.

Kaptain Poop said:
Last question. How do you do multiple quotes in one posting? I can't believe I don't know this after being a member here this long - but I don't. What's the trick?

Well, I don't know how others do it, for me it's really tedious and probably not worth it unless you have a lot of time on your hands.
smiley4.gif

Edited by: JD074

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bode Miller is being bombarded with hate mail since his Olympics flop. Hey, isn't this the same thing that happened to Hank Aaron 32 years ago that we're still lectured about? Actually, I'll bet Miller is getting a lot more hate mail than Aaron ever did. Aaron's mail was overwhelmingly positive but it's alwaysa few anti-black ones in any situation that the system gnashes its teeth and weeps about endlessly. Miller's mail isundoubtedly exclusively from white people who hate him.

They may not hate him solely because he's white, but a lot of the hostility directed at so many white athletes so easily stems from white self-hatred. Miller did his best and came up short. It's highly unlikely anyone feels worse about it than he does. He also likes beer and girls, oh my how politically incorrect in an age of neo-prohibition and metrosexuals and homosexuals! He's a ready-made target for white pathology and rage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2372322

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
guest301 said:
Don..maybe you should take a patent on that name..I could see something like that being a success..The Beer Olympics!

Wouldn't you know brilliant albeit besotted minds have already stolen my idea!
smiley36.gif

The 3rd Annual Modern Drunkard Convention
When: Friday June 23rd through Sunday, June 25th.
Where: The Celebrity Ballroom, Las Vegas, NV.
What to Expect: Three solid days of heavy drinking and full-bore entertainment Emceed by Titsa Galore, including:
Bands
To be announced shortly.
Burlesque Troupes
Ooh-La-La!
Oracle Dance Troupe
More to be announced.
Plus
- Liquor Olympics
- Clash of the Tightest Drinking Contest
- Soused seminars
- Films
- Karaoke
- Panel Discussion
- Booze tastings
- Heavy drinking
- Debauchery
- And much more
How much: Convention passes are $49. In addition to three days of gala entertainment, the pass also entitles you to free gear, including:

- Limited Edition Modern Drunkard Convention T-Shirt
- 17"X24" Convention Poster
Get your pass here.

Day passes will also be available at the registration desk for $20 (this does not entitle you to the shirt and poster, however).
Note: You must be 21 years old or over to attend the convention.
http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/md_conv_2006/index.htm