Tiger Woods

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woods has faded again in the final round. He's paired with Phil Mickelson; Phil is currently 6 under for his round and has surged into a two shot lead, while Woods is +1 and is tied for 8th after starting the round in second place. So much for that long gone Tiger "intimidation factor" that the media still pretends exists.

An exuberant "Sir" Nick Faldo picked Woods to win halfway through the third round. Brandel Chamblee picked him after the second round. Those are the only two predictions I heard but I'm sure every other announcer and analyst picked their hero to win, too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Phil is now -16 while Woods is -9. There's been a nine shot swing between the two so far today in Phil's favor.That has to aggravate the crestfallen White golf reporters even more, as "lovable ol' Phil" is supposed to play his assigned role and choke when he goes head to head against Woods.​

foobar75

Master
It's been great watching the final day, Woods fading, Mickelson about to get the win, spectacular scenery, it's more than enough to make up for that football withdrawal on this Sunday. It'll be interesting to hear the Tiger-worshiping media's take on it afterwards. I'm sure they find some positive spin for him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The only way this tournament could have been better is if it had been a major. Phil's 40th career win! :hail: He posted a lower score than Woods for the fifth straight time when they were paired together in the final round. Woods played terribly, to the point that Peter Kostos noted wryly that his amateur partner, Tony Romo, played better than Woods today. All the newspapers and websites ready to erupt with "Tiger's Back" headlines had to pull back.

Phil at the top of his game is a joy to watch. At 41 there may not be a lot of wins left so this one was great to see.

JReb1

Mentor
Has Tiger ever won a tournament when he wasn't leading going into the final round?

You would think since tiger is hailed as golfs "GOAT" he would be able to do this regularly... FTR Jack will always be golfs GOAT!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The only way this tournament could have been better is if it had been a major. Phil's 40th career win! :hail: He posted a lower score than Woods for the fifth straight time when they were paired together in the final round. Woods played terribly, to the point that Peter Kostos noted wryly that his amateur partner, Tony Romo, played better than Woods today. All the newspapers and websites ready to erupt with "Tiger's Back" headlines had to pull back.

Phil at the top of his game is a joy to watch. At 41 there may not be a lot of wins left so this one was great to see.

Nice post and thanks for the statistic, I wasn't aware of that.

It was surely an enthralling victory for Phil; especially given his struggles since his emotional win at the 2010 Masters Championship and his utterly uneventful 2011 campaign (I believe his only win came in the “Shell Houston Open”).

Also, it’s always a joy to watch Phil’s feminine wife, Amy, cheering for her husband…

bilde

CAPTION: All-American Sweethearts

From what I saw of Sunday’s Mickelson-Woods pairing at Pebble Beach (the only portion of the tournament I watched), Tiger’s on-course antics seemed rather mature, despite his dreadful play. I think the little brown fornicating narcissist was far too embarrassed by Phil’s class, decency, and golfing-prowess to engage in his requisite cursing / spitting / screaming / club tossing / club smashing / fits of rage / verbal abuse of fans / primal roaring after each successful put. Or maybe he’s finally recognized that the talent level of golf, both domestic and international, has passed him by?

Matra2

Master
Ratings peaked half hour before Mickleson's final putt. DWFs tuning out when it became clear Tiger would lose?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ratings peaked half hour before Mickleson's final putt. DWFs tuning out when it became clear Tiger would lose?

I highly doubt it. Phil is extremely popular among golf fans. He's the closest thing to Arnold Palmer the tour has had since Arnie's heyday.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it’s always a joy to watch Phil’s feminine wife, Amy, cheering for her husband…

bilde

CAPTION: All-American Sweethearts

From what I saw of Sunday’s Mickelson-Woods pairing at Pebble Beach (the only portion of the tournament I watched), Tiger’s on-course antics seemed rather mature, despite his dreadful play. I think the little brown fornicating narcissist was far too embarrassed by Phil’s class, decency, and golfing-prowess to engage in his requisite cursing / spitting / screaming / club tossing / club smashing / fits of rage / verbal abuse of fans / primal roaring after each successful put. Or maybe he’s finally recognized that the talent level of golf, both domestic and international, has passed him by?

Yes, Amy is a sweetheart and a great role model for girls and women. She and Phil are golf royalty as far as I'm concerned.

As for Woods, I did see him spit yesterday, it was either on the green or just off of it. But mostly he just quietly capitulated to Phil's dominance. It's been 2 and 1/2 years since he's won a PGA tour event now and every time he loses it makes it that much tougher for him to ever be the best player on the tour again. He'll be 37 later this year, so what's typically the best decade for golfers (their 30s) is slipping away from him. What a shame. :cry:

Matra2

Master
It got its highest final round ratings for 15 years with the numbers dropping off at the end. Perhaps a lot of non-golf fan ESPN/Tiger groupies?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And what a fine day it's been, as Tiguh was bounced from the World Match Play Championship in the second round by Nick Watney. Woods barely hung on in the first round yesterday, winning 1 and 0 against a Spaniard I had never heard of and I follow golf closely.

After the first day of matches, "Golf Central" on the shameless Golf Channel devoted its first 15 minutes of coverage to Woods' match, then five minutes to the other 31 matches. That's a pretty good representation of the Golf Channel's basic formula: coverage of the world's top 63 players combined equals one-third of the coverage given to Woods. I imagine the same script will be followed today, after which, with Woods out of the tournament they'll be forced to pay at least some attention now to the 16 golfers left still contending for the title.

Woods had a putt of less than 6 feet on the 18th hole to tie the match with Watney and send it into extra holes, but missed badly. You could almost hear the wind go out of Nick Faldo and the rest of the Tiger worshippers when he missed, who were so sure their hero was going to sink it. Even when Woods is 50 years old, they'll still be praying and pretending that he's still the Tiger of circa 2000.

After he missed a putt on 17, the supposedly "reformed" Woods let out a loud "goddammit" followed by what sounded like an f-bomb though it was hard to tell for sure. Another interesting tidbit -- Dottie Pepper, who was following the Woods-Watney pairing, was asked if the fans were overwhelmingly for Woods as they were yesterday against the obscure player from Spain. Pepper said it was about 50-50. Watney is a fine young American player but hardly yet a fan favorite. That his following was as loud as Tiger's is more proof that Woods isn't nearly as popular as the corporate media pretends, not that it will change the Golf Channel's absurdly over the top Tiger-centric agenda any.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
And what a fine day it's been, as Tiguh was bounced from the World Match Play Championship in the second round by Nick Watney. Woods barely hung on in the first round yesterday, winning 1 and 0 against a Spaniard I had never heard of and I follow golf closely.

After the first day of matches, "Golf Central" on the shameless Golf Channel devoted its first 15 minutes of coverage to Woods' match, then five minutes to the other 31 matches. That's a pretty good representation of the Golf Channel's basic formula: coverage of the world's top 63 players combined equals one-third of the coverage given to Woods. I imagine the same script will be followed today, after which, with Woods out of the tournament they'll be forced to pay at least some attention now to the 16 golfers left still contending for the title.

Woods had a putt of less than 6 feet on the 18th hole to tie the match with Watney and send it into extra holes, but missed badly. You could almost hear the wind go out of Nick Faldo and the rest of the Tiger worshippers when he missed, who were so sure their hero was going to sink it. Even when Woods is 50 years old, they'll still be praying and pretending that he's still the Tiger of circa 2000.

After he missed a putt on 17, the supposedly "reformed" Woods let out a loud "goddammit" followed by what sounded like an f-bomb though it was hard to tell for sure. Another interesting tidbit -- Dottie Pepper, who was following the Woods-Watney pairing, was asked if the fans were overwhelmingly for Woods as they were yesterday against the obscure player from Spain. Pepper said it was about 50-50. Watney is a fine young American player but hardly yet a fan favorite. That his following was as loud as Tiger's is more proof that Woods isn't nearly as popular as the corporate media pretends, not that it will change the Golf Channel's absurdly over the top Tiger-centric agenda any.

Yes Don it's always a good day when someone whips Tigger. Thanks for the update.

The one consistent thing about DWF's is they're typically not very loyal, especially if their hero keeps losing. Although some seem to keep hanging with Tigger, I see his following continue to diminish if he doesn't start winning some tournaments soon!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Yes Don it's always a good day when someone whips Tigger. Thanks for the update.

The one consistent thing about DWF's is they're typically not very loyal, especially if their hero keeps losing. Although some seem to keep hanging with Tigger, I see his following continue to diminish if he doesn't start winning some tournaments soon!
It's demeaning to a loyal, wholesome character to have your name be associated with a foul, loathsome individual such as Tiger Woods:

tigger2.jpg

I prefer the more appropriate name, "Cheetah" Woods...

This week's Sports Illustrated had a piece on Tiger Woods and his most recent loss to Phil Mickelson. The writer said the question is not WILL Tiger start winning again, but WHEN.

foobar75

Master
The sickening over-coverage of Tiger continues this week at Doral. I made it a point to focus on one place (Foxsports @ MSN), just to see how they'll cover it each day. As best as I remember, this is how it went:

(all on MSN homepage, and his picture accompanying each headline)

Thursday: Follow Tiger live at Doral
Friday: Tiger within striking distance at Doral
Saturday: Tiger makes push at Doral (as I type this)

No mention of any of the leaders Watson, Scott, Rose, Bradley, or McIlroy who himself is still in contention after a rough start. It's going to be truly unbearable if and when he finally wins a tournament, or God forbid, a major.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woods is 8 shots behind Bubba Watson going into tomorrow's final round, so his 2 1/2 year losing streak is going to continue. Man I'd love it if he goes winless again this year, as every tournament he plays the corporate media anticipates him winning.

Woods is 8 shots behind Bubba Watson going into tomorrow's final round, so his 2 1/2 year losing streak is going to continue. Man I'd love it if he goes winless again this year, as every tournament he plays the corporate media anticipates him winning.

The MSM's hopes were pretty high a few weeks ago.

<BR><BR>The MSM's hopes were pretty high a few weeks ago.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The media was especially giddy and optimistic after their idol shot 62 in the final round last week after a number of bad final rounds in previous tournaments, but Woods has resorted back to his previous form today, spraying the ball everywhere, including on short iron shots.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woods just withdrew after the 11th hole. He was 3 over at that point. The announcers said he was supposedly limping. . .

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woods' withdrawal is being treated as a huge national story. Cameras have followed him off the course as he went to the parking lot and drove away. Now a helicopter is filming him driving down the highway, ala O.J. Simpleton's Bronco in 1994. Absolutely ridiculous.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

Just saw the article dealing with Tiger Woods being hurt. It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take for these people to finally stop idolizing this poor slob. Seems he's lost most of his ability.

I do find it interesting though that he can't seem to play golf well anymore. Does anyone here have any ideas as to why this is? I wouldn't think breaking up with your wife could cause you to stop being able to do your work. Would a mechanic not be able to work on cars if he broke up with his wife? What about a baker? Would he be unable to bake anymore, etc.?

Very curious.

Tom Iron...

The ESPN headline is "Rose wins, Tiger Injured."

It has occured to me that the Tiger-worship would be tenfold for a black QB who approximated the play of Brady and the Mannings and won a couple of Super Bowls.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Woods' withdrawal is being treated as a huge national story. Cameras have followed him off the course as he went to the parking lot and drove away. Now a helicopter is filming him driving down the highway, ala O.J. Simpleton's Bronco in 1994. Absolutely ridiculous.

Good night! I'll say that is ridiculous. He's probably making the "injury" up to cover his poor play, like a few hundred othr negro afletes have done over the last few years. What a joke and a parody of his former self (at least in some ways) he has become.