Players Signed After Week One?

Truthteller

Mentor
For the first time in a long time the Bills will have a white WR on the roster, as they signed Chris Hogan today. Too bad its so late in the year, as he likely won't have much time to prove himself.

This is the sort of elite athlete that really could be the "poster boy" for the Caste System. Kid has great size, speed and skills and he chooses to play college Lacrosse? What the hell is that? How many potentially great white WR's and DB's have never even played college football, because they chose Lacrosse scholarships, fearing they wouldn't get a legitimate chance playing football?

While some here might like the sport, bottom line is the Wayne Gretzky of Lacrosse makes what, $15,000 a year playing the sport as a pro? Why wasn't Hogan a 5 star recruit and targeted by every major football factory in America coming out of college?

I hope he beats the odds and becomes a Bill Schroeder type -- who mostly ran track in college, then made it in the NFL after being jerked around on practice squads for a while...but I'm not holding out a ton of hope that will happen. It's more likely he'll end up like Ethan Kilmer, another ex-PSU guy that was an absolute "athletic freak", but spent most of his (brief) college and pro career being jerked around.

Again, this is the type of kid that should've gone to a Penn State or Syracuse (at the very least) and been a first or second rounder coming out of college and singed a multimillion dollar contract. Whether it be as a wide receiver, or a Harrison Smith type defensive back.

For those that are wondering what I'm talking about (carrying on about his immense skills), check out this link:

http://www.castefootball.us/forums/threads/14193-Chris-Hogan?p=264984#post264984

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
This is the sort of elite athlete that really could be the "poster boy" for the Caste System. Kid has great size, speed and skills and he chooses to play college Lacrosse? What the hell is that? How many potentially great white WR's and DB's have never even played college football, because they chose Lacrosse scholarships, fearing they wouldn't get a legitimate chance playing football?

Here is video of Hogan during “HBO Hard Knocks.â€￾ In the video, Hogan receives major accolades from the coaching staff (which includes former Packer head coach and casteon maggot, Mike Sherman) and well as Reggie Bush, who screams Hogan’s praises and gives him the nickname “7-11â€￾…

[video=youtube;1vT-Lw_mK6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vT-Lw_mK6k[/video]

I’m sure the Dolphins used Devone Bess (one of the better slot receivers in the NFL) as “justificationâ€￾ for Hogan not making roster, but Hogan (who ran a 4.39 40-yard dash) could easily dominate on the outside. Also, with Brian Hartline already an entrenched starter, it was probably difficult to justify two white receivers making the roster.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is video of Hogan during “HBO Hard Knocks.â€￾ In the video, Hogan receives major accolades from the coaching staff (which includes former Packer head coach and casteon maggot, Mike Sherman) and well as Reggie Bush, who screams Hogan’s praises and gives him the nickname “7-11â€￾…

[video=youtube;1vT-Lw_mK6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vT-Lw_mK6k[/video]

I’m sure the Dolphins used Devone Bess (one of the better slot receivers in the NFL) as “justificationâ€￾ for Hogan not making roster, but Hogan (who ran a 4.39 40-yard dash) could easily dominate on the outside. Also, with Brian Hartline already an entrenched starter, it was probably difficult to justify two white receivers making the roster.

Hogan is a local prospect from here in Jersey. Here is a good article from 2011 I found on him. He mentions the stereotypes we all know too well here.

[h=1]Monmouth's Chris Hogan goes from little-known receiver to buzzed-about NFL Draft prospect
[/h] By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
on April 21, 2011 at 5:00 AM, updated April 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Email | Print

Foursquare

Email

9505035-large.jpg
Mitsu Yasukawa/For The Star-LedgerChris Hogan, a Star-Ledger All-State selection at Ramapo High, had just 12 career receptions in college but is wowing scouts with his 4.47 speed.

Chris Hogan was away from the football field for four years. When he returned last fall, his time on offense was limited. He doesn’t have the statistics, the experience or the game film to garner attention as a top prospect.
And then, there’s the other reason he believes some scouts are telling him he'll be an NFL safety, not a wide receiver.
“Uh, probably, well, not to be ...â€￾ Hogan stammered, trying to be politically correct on the issue before finally letting it fly with a chuckle: “Because I’m white.â€￾
With the NFL Draft set to begin a week from today, Hogan might be a long shot to hear his name called. Truth is it has little to do with his skin tone and more to do with the fact that, until the early part of last month, few scouts had even heard of him.
A former all-conference lacrosse player at Penn State, he played only one year as a receiver and cornerback for Monmouth. The 6-2, 220-pound Hogan had just 12 receptions, but three of them were touchdowns and he had three interceptions. Still, he wasn’t anywhere near NFL teams’ radars.
That is, until he ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash, blew away the competition in the other speed drills and bench-pressed 225 pounds 28 times at Fordham's pro day March 8. Each of those figures would have put him at, or near, the top of the receivers who worked out at the NFL Scouting Combine.
“I always tell people Chris and ‘Cush’ are two of the best athletes I’ve ever trained,â€￾ said Joe DeFranco, owner of DeFranco’s Training in Wyckoff, in reference to Hogan and Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, a Bergen Catholic grad.
“He’s just an all-around athlete. And he’s not a lacrosse player trying to play football; he’s a football player who took a couple of years off.â€￾
That’s a statement teams are scrambling to verify right now. Hogan attended local workouts for the Giants and Jets — the Giants, by all accounts, were wowed — and has fielded multiple calls from the Colts and 49ers. He is scheduled to work out Monday for the Eagles and expects to hear from a few others by this time next week.
A Browns scout also put Hogan through the paces at a park in Franklin Lakes after they couldn’t secure the field at Ramapo High School, where Hogan was a first-team All-State selection by The Star-Ledger in football and lacrosse.
9505040-large.jpg
Mitsu Yasukawa/For The Star-LedgerChris Hogan, who played lacrosse at Penn State, consults Ken Amsel during a workout Wednesday at DeFranco Training Systems in Wyckoff.

“Cleveland wasn’t at Fordham and they weren’t at Rutgers the next day when all the scouts were still talking about Chris, so I asked the Browns guy how he had heard of him,â€￾ said Hogan’s agent, Art Weiss. “He told me, ‘Everybody’s heard of this guy.’ â€￾
Perhaps those in the NFL would have heard about Hogan a lot sooner if he had played four years of major college football. He was offered scholarships to a handful of Division 1 schools, including Rutgers, Temple, UConn and Akron but opted for Penn State and lacrosse.
“I had more influences on me playing lacrosse than I did have people telling me to play football,â€￾ Hogan said. “If I could go back four years, I would have absolutely played football.â€￾
Hogan felt the pangs of regret when he attended Nittany Lions games, imagining himself on the field instead of being one of more than 100,000 fans. He considered being a walk-on a few times, but the lacrosse coaches were adamantly opposed.
So when Hogan realized he could obtain a fifth year of eligibility to play football, he hatched a plan to head to Syracuse. Though the Orange’s coaches wanted Hogan, he didn’t get into the Newhouse School of Public Communications. Instead, he headed to Monmouth University for a political science/communications masters program he eventually determined “wasn’t for me.â€￾
But the football field was. In his first game, on his first offensive play, he ran a post pattern for a 17-yard touchdown.
“That was a pretty cool moment,â€￾ Hogan said, “because I hadn’t scored a touchdown in four years.â€￾
In his first game as a starter on defense — a blowout victory over Duquesne — Hogan had a pair of interceptions. He was also a standout on special teams and a backup kicker and punter.
9505042-large.jpg
Mitsu Yasukawa/For The Star-LedgerChris Hogan (left) trains on a ball with fellow football player Joe Torchia during a workout Wednesday at DeFranco Training Systems in Wyckoff.

“Scouts say, ‘Well, if he’s so good, why did he only play 13 plays a game on offense?’ â€￾ said Monmouth offensive coordinator Scott Van Zile, who recommended Hogan start for an injury-depleted defense despite the fact it would limit his reps at receiver. “I tell them since Miles (Austin), we’ve had good receivers but not great receivers who can flat-out win 1-on-1s, so we’re a concept-based passing team and the ball finds the open receiver.
“But had we known what this kid was or had him for another year, we would have made him the focal point and there’s no doubt he would be the conference player of the year because there’s no one in the conference like him.â€￾
Monmouth cornerback Jose Gumbs, the 2009 NEC defensive player of the year, has covered Austin during offseason workouts with the Cowboys receiver and former Hawks standout.
“Chris is the real deal, Coach,â€￾ Gumbs has told Van Zile.
Last fall, Hogan, 23, began to think he had a shot at the NFL, though perhaps only as a body during training camp. Now, based on the feedback he’s gotten from teams, he thinks he could hear his name called next weekend.
As a wide receiver. You know, one with “deceptive speed, a high motor, reliable hands,â€￾ and all of those stereotypes.
“I just need someone to give me a shot,â€￾ he said. “Just look past everything else, let me run routes and catch the football. I guarantee I can do it just as good as anyone else can.â€￾