Players Signed After Week One?

Truthteller

Mentor
WA33, it looks like Sash will be back this week. Giants had to cut someone last week, so he wasn't activated. But this week he got lucky, as his replacement, also, got busted:

Safety Tyler Sash returns as Will Hill gets suspended for violating the perfromance-enhancing drug policy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...y-swap-tyler-sash-returns-will-hill-suspended

Another possibly significant signing: Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Josh Cooper set to make his NFL debut

Shurmur wants the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Cooper to play the slot and go over the middle, much like Jordan Norwood has done for the past year and a half. Norwood was placed on short-term injured reserve to clear a roster spot for Cooper.

Some NFL scouts have compared Cooper’s muscular, but short frame and skill set to Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker. Shurmur, however, believes Cooper and the even smaller Norwood are a better comparison.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/10/13/browns-wr-cooper-set-to-make-nfl-debut/

By the way, short-term injured reserve means Norwood is out for at least 6 weeks. So with only 4 receivers on the Clowns roster, Cooper could play quite a bit, if he makes a quick impression.

white is right

Hall of Famer
"Jersey" Joe Martinek might be a heartbeat away from activation to the 53 man roster as 4th string tailback Darell Scott was put on the injured reserve yesterday. If another tailback or Hysnoski get's injured he could be the biggest thing from Jersey to play at the Meadowlands since the Boss...:biggrin1:

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Joe Martinek

A team could help themselves by adding Joe Martinek to their rosters.

Martinek had a good sophomore year in college. His junior year he played injured. His senior year he played out of position at fullback so demonstrably inferior blacks could start at running back.

Martinek tested out very well athletically. He runs, blocks and catches well.

Based on ability he should be on an NFL roster. He could develop into a quality starter given the chance.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
A team could help themselves by adding Joe Martinek to their rosters.

Martinek had a good sophomore year in college. His junior year he played injured. His senior year he played out of position at fullback so demonstrably inferior blacks could start at running back.

Martinek tested out very well athletically. He runs, blocks and catches well.

Based on ability he should be on an NFL roster. He could develop into a quality starter given the chance.

The Packers should be considering Jersey Joe. Their run game has been anemic for almost 3 years now and the backs they have now aren't cutting it. Benson played ok but is now hurt, Starks is far from explosive and Green hasn't done much to seperate himself as the go to back..

Truthteller

Mentor
I don't follow college ball and the draft real close, so while checking the recent NFL transactions I had to look up/google the name Zach Nash, which sounded white. Figuring he signed with the Cardinals, I assumed he was a long snapper, once I saw he was white. Turns out he's just a regular DE/OLB. Hope he gets some playing time, but with Arizona's track record the last several decades, I'm not holding my breath:

http://arizona.sbnation.com/arizona...cardinals-packers-roster-moves-practice-squad

P.S: Arizona also signed linebacker Tim Fugger to the practice squad.

Truthteller

Mentor
It's very rare that a street free agent signed in November becomes an instant starter, but that will happen in Atlanta, as they've re-signed Mike Cox to be their fullback/designated blocking dummy for Micheal Turner.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...-struggling-fb-lousaka-polite-resign-mike-cox

I guess Referendum can add another white starter for the Falcons? No big deal, as he'll rarely do anything but block. Atlanta has been totally caste--White QB, white FB and few white OL's...after that just some scattered whites as backup TE's and kicker, punter and snapper. This is not a team to root for, going forward.

white is right

Hall of Famer
It's very rare that a street free agent signed in November becomes an instant starter, but that will happen in Atlanta, as they've re-signed Mike Cox to be their fullback/designated blocking dummy for Micheal Turner.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...-struggling-fb-lousaka-polite-resign-mike-cox

I guess Referendum can add another white starter for the Falcons? No big deal, as he'll rarely do anything but block. Atlanta has been totally caste--White QB, white FB and few white OL's...after that just some scattered whites as backup TE's and kicker, punter and snapper. This is not a team to root for, going forward.
Has anybody noticed this quirk of the system where a guy can hang around for years as ps. player but if he some how makes a roster and sticks for a year on a roster without being cut he can only be a street free agent and if he plays a marginal position like fullback he can be off dusting off his resume when he is cut. :dodgy:

Truthteller

Mentor
Has anybody noticed this quirk of the system where a guy can hang around for years as ps. player but if he some how makes a roster and sticks for a year on a roster without being cut he can only be a street free agent and if he plays a marginal position like fullback he can be off dusting off his resume when he is cut. :dodgy:

Absolutely correct. This is the main reason someone like Jordan Shipley is not currently employed in the NFL. Because he played his entire rookie season -- and led all AFC rookie WR's in receiving yards -- he is no longer practice squad eligible. At worst, he'd make about $100,000 stuck on the practice squad all season...At best, it would've gotten his "foot in the door", once again, with some team and he could've been promoted to the 53 man roster, once his knee was closer to 100%. Texans, for example. They recently worked him out?

By the way, Shipley isn't just a good goy. He's a great goy, who would be welcomed with open arms over at MSNBC. After reading this story, I wonder why Daniel Snyder or Jeff Laurie hasn't signed him and made him an immediate starter and team Captain?

Shipley sings for clean water: Funds go to African wells

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/20/jordan-and-sunny-leigh-shipley-sing-to-raise-for/

white is right

Hall of Famer
Absolutely correct. This is the main reason someone like Jordan Shipley is not currently employed in the NFL. Because he played his entire rookie season -- and led all AFC rookie WR's in receiving yards -- he is no longer practice squad eligible. At worst, he'd make about $100,000 stuck on the practice squad all season...At best, it would've gotten his "foot in the door", once again, with some team and he could've been promoted to the 53 man roster, once his knee was closer to 100%. Texans, for example. They recently worked him out?

By the way, Shipley isn't just a good goy. He's a great goy, who would be welcomed with open arms over at MSNBC. After reading this story, I wonder why Daniel Snyder or Jeff Laurie hasn't signed him and made him an immediate starter and team Captain?

Shipley sings for clean water: Funds go to African wells

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/20/jordan-and-sunny-leigh-shipley-sing-to-raise-for/
I have noticed with guys that are clearly superior to other guys who have practice squad eligibility. At fullback Kyle Eckel comes to mind. I know when he was cut because he played bits and parts of seasons with various clubs, Denver didn't bother to stash him away on the IR. They probably kept a UDFA on the PS.

Truthteller

Mentor
Jacksonville Jaguars signed third-year wide receiver Jordan Shipley

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.--The Jacksonville Jaguars signed third-year wide receiver Jordan Shipley to a contract and waived fullback Will Ta’ufo’ou, the club announced today.

Shipley, 6-0, 188, has played in 18 games with four starts since entering the NFL as a third-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010. He has 56 career receptions for 614 yards and three touchdowns along with five career receptions of 25-plus yards. He saw action for one game with Tampa Bay earlier this season before he was waived.

The former Texas standout suffered a season-ending knee injury in week two of the 2011 season. As a rookie with the Bengals in 2010, he led all AFC rookies with 52 catches for 600 yards along with three touchdowns.

Shipley, a native of Burnet, Texas, finished his collegiate career with a school-record 248 receptions and ranked second with 3,191 receiving yards and 33 touchdowns. He tied a school record with three touchdowns on punt returns and also had a kickoff return for a touchdown. He was a first-team All-America selection as a senior, finishing with a school-record 116 catches for 1,485 yards.

Shipley will wear jersey number #16.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jacksonville Jaguars signed third-year wide receiver Jordan Shipley

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.--The Jacksonville Jaguars signed third-year wide receiver Jordan Shipley to a contract and waived fullback Will Ta’ufo’ou, the club announced today.

Shipley, 6-0, 188, has played in 18 games with four starts since entering the NFL as a third-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010. He has 56 career receptions for 614 yards and three touchdowns along with five career receptions of 25-plus yards. He saw action for one game with Tampa Bay earlier this season before he was waived.

The former Texas standout suffered a season-ending knee injury in week two of the 2011 season. As a rookie with the Bengals in 2010, he led all AFC rookies with 52 catches for 600 yards along with three touchdowns.

Shipley, a native of Burnet, Texas, finished his collegiate career with a school-record 248 receptions and ranked second with 3,191 receiving yards and 33 touchdowns. He tied a school record with three touchdowns on punt returns and also had a kickoff return for a touchdown. He was a first-team All-America selection as a senior, finishing with a school-record 116 catches for 1,485 yards.

Shipley will wear jersey number #16.

With the receivers the Jaguars have, Shipley should be at worst the #3 receiver right off the at. Blackmon has been average and is only on pace for 1,000 yards this season thanks to his huge game last weekend. The other supa afflete, Cecil Shorts, runs about the same 40 time as Shipley(4.59) yet is will probably have a 1,000 yard season this year. The rest of the receivers are total garbage. Of course, this is the racist NFL we are dealing with.

referendum

Mentor
Within a week we have had the following WRs get signed. Toome to Atlanta, Shipley to the Jags, Martin back to the Blackhawks, and now Douglas to the Bucs. I believe Camarillo was let go again by the Saints however.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Shipley keeps going to one very black team after another that doesn't play White WRs.

referendum

Mentor
Yeah, Shipley does go to all the wrong teams. However, on defense the Jags are one of the whiter teams, and the now have white QB's, so maybe this is a good sign that the embargo on whites on other positions in Jacksonville is breaking down.

Truthteller

Mentor
Yeah, Shipley does go to all the wrong teams. However, on defense the Jags are one of the whiter teams, and the now have white QB's, so maybe this is a good sign that the embargo on whites on other positions in Jacksonville is breaking down.

Yes, since Black Panther GM James Harris has left (he's since landed in Detroit), the Jaguars are now actually allowed to sign/draft some whites at positions other than long snapper, punter, kicker, blocking fullback and 3rd string TE.

WA 33 is correct about Jax's bad receivers....Jags just put $32 million bust Laurent Robinson on the IR due to multiple concussions, so Shipley might actually make it to #3 WR in a short period of time...at least we can hope so?

Glad to see Douglas signed. He had a awesome pre-season with the Giants, but considering the Giants GM, assistant GM and head of player personnel are all black, he had almost zero chance as an undrafted free agent, even if some in the NY media dubbed him "the Victor Cruz of 2012"... sad to to see it's the racist Bucs, he's going to, however. He's gone from the frying pan and jumped right into the racist fryer?

BTY, haven't had time to post much the last 9 days or so, but can't believe no one posted this stunning news:The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed quarterback Stephen Hoyer!!!!! I guess Dennis Dixon and Jarrod Johnson were not available -- perhaps they are skiing in Aspen? Either that, or Tomlin is getting jittery over the Roethlisberger injury, knowing he already has the too fat Leftwich and too old/frail Batch to back them up?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Broncos signed Jacob Hester
This is good news, maybe even great news. Denver is one of the few places, Hester may get a fair shot. The 3 players ahead of him aren't exactly worldbeaters either.

A quick scan of some Denver Bronco DWF boards, revealed many positive responses to the signing. As said before, Bronco fans seem slightly less enebreated than other cities sheeple.

Truthteller

Mentor
I know some here have come to hate the Broncos, because they believe Elway and the coaches unfairly pushed Tebow out the door last year. But, in my opinion, the 2011 Broncos were just awful to watch and I simply could not root them at all -- except against a team like Pittsburgh? Sure, I wanted to see Tebow do well. But at one point (after Decker missed some games due to injury) they were down to like 3 white starters and maybe 6 whites overall (not counting the K, P & LS) on their 53 man roster. Only white at all on defense was Unrein, backup DT...And, to make things much worse, Tebow seemed to be completely phasing out Decker, when he did play.

This team is so much better to watch. 9 or 10 white starters each week....over 20 whites on the roster....And this team is so much better on the field, too.

As far as Hester, don't discount our man Peyton, as far as making this happen. Hester and Peyton are both from Louisiana and it's quite possible he lobbied to have Hester added to the roster, once McGahee went down. Peyton has done this before with New Orleans area natives, who he likely associates with during the off-season.

By the way, I'm a long way from Denver, yet every Broncos game this season has been televised here (National TV and local channels), except the Carolina game. I fully expect next weeks game to be on too....This is quite unique, being several thousand miles away. For example, the 2011 Houston Texans were not televised in my market at all, until they played Cincy and Balt. in the playoffs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I can't remember a team changing its roster so much in a single season, as far as adding more Whites. And I'm probably not as much of a fan of Tebow as many here because he's looked so bad throwing the ball. Watching him at Florida I thought he wouldn't be so inaccurate at the next level.

I doubt anything was said explicitly racial when it came to overhauling the Broncos roster. Elway and Fox knew what kind of players Manning thrived with in Indianapolis and wisely tried to duplicate that in Denver. It reminds me of what Jason Whitlock wrote a few years ago in a column about how White Indy and New England were because they tried to put Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in an environment where they could succeed. I'm sure the same would hold true of most quarterbacks but precious few organizations build an offense with that mindset. The blacker the better is how most NFL coaches and executives seem to think.

I agree. I can't remember a team changing its roster so much in a single season, as far as adding more Whites. And I'm probably not as much of a fan of Tebow as many here because he's looked so bad throwing the ball. Watching him at Florida I thought he wouldn't be so inaccurate at the next level.

I doubt anything was said explicitly racial when it came to overhauling the Broncos roster. Elway and Fox knew what kind of players Manning thrived with in Indianapolis and wisely tried to duplicate that in Denver. It reminds me of what Jason Whitlock wrote a few years ago in a column about how White Indy and New England were because they tried to put Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in an environment where they could succeed. I'm sure the same would hold true of most quarterbacks but precious few organizations build an offense with that mindset. The blacker the better is how most NFL coaches and executives seem to think.

I agree about Tebow. He hasn't shown the throwing ability he would need as a starting QB.

bigunreal

Mentor
Tim Tebow has completed 6 of 7 passes this season. How has he "looked bad" throwing the ball? He hasn't had a chance to throw the ball, or even play.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Tim Tebow has completed 6 of 7 passes this season. How has he "looked bad" throwing the ball? He hasn't had a chance to throw the ball, or even play.
I doubt the Seahawks would sign Donny Lisowski to the 53 man roster but Carroll could sign him to the practice squad since he might promote two defensive backs to the active roster after two starting corners flunked pee pee tests this week.:scared:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

I haven't seen Tebow throw any passes with the Jets yet this season because I rarely watch any of their games. Anyway seven passes (for a total of 39 yards) is hardly a statistically meaningful sample.

Tebow completed 126 passes out of 271 attempts with Denver last year for a 46.5% completion percentage. I did watch a lot of Broncos games last year and Tebow made many bad throws. He overthrew or underthrew Eric Decker often, including plays where he had blown past the defensive backfield and was wide open for what should have been a touchdown. Decker was on his way to a big year when Orton was starting; his productivity dropped to almost nil when Tebow took over.

In his rookie season of 2010 Tebow was 41 of 82 for 50%. 46.5 and 50 percent are not acceptable for the NFL.

I'm not saying Tebow can't or shouldn't be a starting quarterback. I really want him to succeed. But he needs to improve his accuracy if he wants to start.

Kaptain

Master
Don, I'm biased as I just a made a big controversial trade in the Lambert League for Tebow giving up Flacco. Any QB will have bad numbers if he only is allowed to pass on 3rd and long which is what happened for the first 3 quarters of nearly every Tebow game. Combined that with the fact the Tebow doesn't do the dink, dunk, and punt plan. He throws to get the first down or he runs - no reason to dink off a ball to a lesser runner. In 4th quarter, when he was often down by a lot, he was allowed to actually pass on 1st and 2nd down. The results = 110 QB rating and the most miraculous stretch of comeback victories in NFL history. In college he passed fine - throwing for nearly 500 yards in his final game which was a bowl game. He could pass in college, in the forth quarter, and in playoff games. He can still pass. He just needs the chance. But I am biased. That's just my opinion.