NFL Week 4 2008

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Dan Klecko contributes with a sack. The Eagles, admittedly, have great DTs, but I'm sure Dan could start elsewhere.

Dusty Dvoracek has been drawing a lot of double-teams as well. He looks tough to move in the middle of the defensive line.Edited by: PhillyBirds

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
backrow said:
well, NFL.com had Warner listed along with FAvre and LArry Johnson in their poll for best player of the early games, for what it's worth.

LOL, good stuff, backrow! NFL thinks his performance warrants mention as one of the best players in today's games, but Fox thinks he's a dud?
smiley36.gif

Well Kurt Warner fumbled 3 times too, losing 2 of them. But still; he was still overall a more impressive performer than Edgerin James today, just typical YahooRivals after all!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
This post was directed to nevada's lost post and subsequent banning. It's now out of context so it has been edited for clarification.

Good riddance, by the way. Edited by: White Shogun

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I deleted Nevada's last (and final) post. He's been asked over and over to conform to the posting guidelines and refused. This is a more civil place without him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Backrow, has Logan Payne recovered from injury, b/c you don't have him listed as on IR? If so this is great news. The Danny Woodhead injury was already really bothering me.

And also; Nevada was banned? I guess I missed his latest piece of rudeness. I agree with your last statement WS, he makes some valid arguments, but has no etiquette in the way he addresses other posters.

bigunreal

Mentor
Another week, another slew of terrible performances. I hate to sound like a broken record, but the combination of fat black affletes everywhere on the field and black wide receivers dropping at least half the passes thrown to them makes these games almost unbearable to watch.

I agree completely about Jacob Hester; why indeed would a team draft a highly productive running back like that and virtually never use him? It is an insult to anyone's intelligence to watch that fat turd Tolbert, who was an undrafted free agent, not a high draft pick like Hester, become an integral part of the offense, while Hester cheers from the sidelines.

It is nice to see Kevin Walter becoming the #1 WR on the Texans (although he will never, ever be acknowledged as such). I wonder how long it takes the wildly overrated Andre Johnson to start whining.... Combined with the totally improbable turn of fortunes for Matt Jones, the WR situation is looking a little better.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I noticed TO dropped a couple of passes in the game against WAS, too, one of them a TD pass that hit him in the hands.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hands of stone everywhere today. On top of the bad playis the commercials. I'm going to have to keep track of a game because it seems like roughly half of an NFL broadcast is commercials, maybe even an outright majority. If you have NFL Ticket on DirecTV you really notice it when you surf between games. Game after game is on commercials.

Primetime TV used to be limited to 15 minutes of commercials per hour. I don't know what it is now, but whatever it is it doesn't apply to the NFL. Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
So long nevada. This week was a downer for me, both in pros and college. The only upside is that I broke apersonal recordwith my fantasy team.
smiley32.gif

Rhodes1980

Hey guys - new to the site. Opinions on the Arizona v Jets game? Was it Favre or was it just pure luck? I think they played a pretty decent game - compared to how they've played in the past. Must admit, I think he's doing a much better job than Pennington ( although Miami rocked NE last week) I wasn't crazy about the throwback uniforms though.

I also think that the 'Skins did a pretty good job against Dallas. I think they both played a good game. I think the Redskins deserved it- despite the fact that their QB isn't "exactly the cream in the coffee"

Anticipating next week and let's see if the Giants can hold on to their perfect record - thus far. I think they're playing pretty well so far.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Campbell's improved quite a bit since Washington's season opener. I've alwaysthought he could be an average to above average NFL starting QB, but the jury's still out. Dallas' defense hasn't been nearly as good as predicted as they are giving quarterbacks too much time to throw.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Hands of stone everywhere today.  On top of the bad play is the commercials.  I'm going to have to keep track of a game because it seems like roughly half of an NFL broadcast is commercials, maybe even an outright majority.  If you have NFL Ticket on DirecTV you really notice it when you surf between games.  Game after game is on commercials.

Primetime TV used to be limited to 15 minutes of commercials per hour.  I don't know what it is now, but whatever it is it doesn't apply to the NFL. 

Its absolutely horrible.
smiley7.gif
That alone is enough to suck most of the joy out of watching the NFL for me. Combine that with the chronic poor play and lack of fundamentals by Affletes, the Caste and the NFL is becoming more and more like a bad habit that I want to kick but can't. Like others have said, if it wasn't for fantasy football and the personal rivalries that exist among the longstanding players in my league, I would almost be beyond ambivalent towards the NFL at this point.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The kicker was when they changed the rule that the clock stopped when a player went out of bounds (except for the last five minutes of the second half). That wasn't done to speed up the game but to allow for many more minutes of commercials within the same roughly three hour time span of a game.

Following every change of possession, even three and outs, there's a commercial break. Every time a TD or FG is scored there's a break, and then usually another one after the ensuing kickoff. Every time a team calls a timeout, every time a black player writhes on the field or lies limp like he's paralyzed, every time there's a challenge flag thrown, the two-minute warning, there's two or three minutes of commercials. Then the networks themselves have their own timeouts during games for more commercials. It's gotta be at least half the time during a game.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i must have deleted IR status on Payne and replaced it with BYE week by accident.

stats updated throughout Sunday games. i am glad that Walter is a go to guy now especially since Andre Johnson doesn't seem to agree with the ball
smiley36.gif

Matt Jones is also looking solid, and so is Jason Witten, who's currently averaging 90 yards per game!

PhillyBirds

Mentor
With Casey Hampton injured, do the Steelers have a shot at starting an all-white defensive line tonight? Chris Hoke is a NT, right?Edited by: PhillyBirds

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
They would, accept DE Brett Keisel is injured. It would have been DE Travis Kirscke, DT Chris Hoke, and DE Brett Keisel.

referendum

Mentor
Backrow, for at least yesterday's game, Chiefs had Weston Dacus, linebacker, back on the roster. He had one tackle, (probably special teams?), and I wonder how long he'll stay on roster.

backrow

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
Who does Aaron Smith back up? Kirschke?

Aaron is a starter, Kirschke came in for injured Keisel. so yeah, they might have an all white D-line tonight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping Matt Jones can keep having decent games the rest of the season. He is very capable when given a fair chance. Now if only he had Brett Favre as his quarterback.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What an endless, boring first half. We need a snoozing emoticom.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers' sumos are once again executing flawlessly in pass protection.
smiley36.gif