NCAA Tournament

Kaptain

Master
Speedster, you asked what Gonzaga games I was unimpressed with. They were all games toward the end of the season - not sure exactly except the two games in the tournament which they were by everyones account unimpressive. Gonzaga is getting blacker, you said it yourself when you pointed out that all of their new recuits for next year are black. They have always had outstanding records but have never got the recognition that they deserved until this year. The only reason - this year the majority of the players are minority (starters). Had Gonzaga had done well it would have reinforced the caste system to many people. The few remaining white teams would have been pressured to turn black like Gonzaga is doing. I hope it doesn't happen but I'm afraid it already has. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop, I'm curious as to Gonzaga's record over the last 6 or 7 years. It would be beneficial to see what their records were as they got blacker, and to compare how far they went into the tournament each year. I am glad now that they got beat early on. I think the few white teams that are left will be that way for a while longer anyway. I like to be an optimist, even when something seems unlikely.

speedster

Mentor
Kaptain Poop,because Gonzaga has had a mostly white team in the past is only part of the reason why they didn't get the recognition they deserved.It's also because they are a small mid-major school and they play in a small conference.Mid-majors who show up at the NCAA's and make some noise do so for a year and then are gone,in order to get the respect a school has to be consistent like the Zags' have but is has been a long time coming becuase everybody expects them to fall by the wayside like most mid-majors do eventually.Know that they have proven their staying-power they get recognition to the point that plenty of people don't like to refer to them as a mid-major.

speedster

Mentor
When the Zags' made their debut as a force in the NCAA's back in 1999 they had a record of 28-7 and made it to the elite-eight losing to eventual champions U-Conn.Only Quentin Hall was black of the starters,the white starters were Richie Frahm,Matt Santangelo,Jeremy Eaton and Casey Calvary with top subs Axel Dench and Ryan Floyd.The only other black player on that team was Mike Leasure who saw barely 10 minutes a game.In 2000 the record was 26-9 and the Zags' made it to the Sweet 16.All starters were white and they were Frahm,Santangelo,Calvary,Dench and Floyd with subs Mark Spink and Zach Guorde seeing good playing time.The only black player on that team was Kenny Williams who warmed the bench.In 2001 the record was 28-7 and all starters were white and they were Dan Dickau,Blake Stepp,Calvary,Guorde and Spink and this team also went to the Sweet 16.The black players,Anthony Reason and Alex Hernandez saw decent playing time as didwhite sub Kyle Bankhead.The 2002 had a record of 29-4 and the starters were the same except Reason replacing the departed Spink.This team had 5 black players but only 3 of them saw good playing time.This version of the Zags' were a first round casualty.The 2003 team went 24-9 and had 3 black players.At various times all of them started but the white starters were Stepp,Guorde,Bankhead and Richard Fox.This team made it to the the secound round.I forgot to mention Cory Violette on that team as well.In 2004 the white starters were Stepp,Violette and Bankhead the black guys were Tony Skinner and Ronny Turiaf.Their record was 28-3 an they made it to the secound round.Adam Morrison wasn't a starter but made a good contribution.Sean Mallon and Derek Ravio saw action as well.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, like they say, be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it! Thanks for the info speedster. That really puts it into perspective. So this team goes from one black on the team in 2000, to having a majority black roster next year for 2005-06. That is some shift to say the least! There has to be something going on up there, I mean a real push by someone high up, probably higher than the coach.
As for the mid-major stigma, that is a valid point, and one I hadn't thought of either.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very interesting stats.Thanks speedster.They have had
so much talent go through their that it is amazing.I
really hope they realize that if it ain't broke,don't
fix it!

speedster

Mentor
The Zags' are still going to have an over-welhming majority of white players next year particularly if the incoming freshman all redshirt.In fact one of their main recruits,Jeremy Pargo may not even make it to Gonzaga since there is some question that he will even pass his enterance exam,I guess he's not too swift.Kind of shows how even Gonzaga,a school that values education,will stoop to hurt their credibility by going after a guy like that in the name of winning.As mentioned earlier,the Zags team of 2000 was their whitest team and it brought in a great contrast.Gonzaga played St.Johns in the secound round of the NCAA's that year.The Zags' had an all-white starting five and all their subs were white,their lone black player was glued to the bench.Their coach,Mark Few was white.St.Johns started five black players and all their subs were black,their one white player never saw any action.Their coach was Mike Jarvis who was black.It was a total black vs white game and the Zags' beat their butts.The hi-lite of the night was the Zags'Mark Spinks one-handed tomahawk slam.The brothers must of hated that.After the game Mike Jarvis said when asked about the black-white make-up of the game that it didn't matter the colour of a players skin,if a guy can play he can play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
At least he admitted the truth, of course in that case, he had to cause he and his team had just got their butts kicked. I might have to try to find a copy of that game. I can watch that one just for kicks.

kevin

Guru
i was just wondering are there any white people in south carolina. i don't think i have ever seen a white person on any of there teams. Not even the south carolina arian community college. I was just watching the south caolina basketball team play the other day. and even stevie wonder hasn't seen this much black.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The All American College Basketball Team came out today.
On the first team were as expected,the 2 guys we have
talked about all season long.A.Bogut and JJ Reddick!
This is a improvement over past years.We have 2 out of
5 guys.Both of these guys are nba material.Little by
little,whites in general & white american born b-ball
players are making a comeback!Watch out nba.
smiley2.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Mike Wilkinson is a good player who doesn't get a lot of hype. He is a a good all round team player who shoots well for a big man. He's shown some quickness and moves when he goes to the bucket.Can be a horse under the basket when he focuses on rebounds. I don't know how Wisconsin matches up with North Carolina but it could be a nice game.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It was a bad day for our teams today in the tournament.
Both Utah and Duke lost.Reddick was held to only 13
points for Duke.He still had a fantastic year and won
the ACC Player of the Year.A.Bogut had 20 points and
12 rebounds for Utah in a hard fought loss.I really think
that Bogut will get the Nat'l Player of the Year.He
deserves it and he is only a sophmore!He should be a
Top 2 Pick in the NBA Draft!Wes Virginia continues to
amaze with another big win.They have four white
starters and just might go all of the way.The center
for Michigan State had a huge game today and led the
Spartans to the win.

JD074

Master
I wouldn't be surprised if Bogut ends up being a better NBA
player than collegiate player. Hopefully he'll have some guys
around him who can play a little, and I doubt if he'll be
constantly double and triple teamed. It was sad to see him
have trouble with role players, Obrzut and Alleyne. It just
wasn't his night. But he's so polished, so skilled, at his size.
And he's so young! It'll be interesting to see where he's
drafted.

As for Redick, I'm always skeptical about sharpshooters in
playoff/ tournament situations. A good team with at least one
excellent defender can really make things tough on a shooter,
especially a smallish one like Redick.

JD074

Master
Also, I think this a reflection of the fact that white players are
excellent team players, and work really well within a system.
Most white players just don't seem comfortable in one-on-one
situations. Neither Bogut's nor Redick's teammates could get
anything going, and they couldn't do it themselves. Hopefully
over the next several years more and more white players will
come into collegiate and NBA basketball, and the American
game will become more team-oriented again, like it is in
Europe.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That what I'm hoping for JD, a more team oriented game, until that, I guess the only team I'll be watching are the Jazz.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, helk! Wisconsin got beat, so that's it for me and basketball except for maybe a few NBA games later in the season.

KD52171

Guru
Tubby Smith makes my ass crave a dip of snuff.....
smiley5.gif

I have NC winning it all in my pool.
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't get into the pools, because they can make you root against teams you might otherwise root for, plus I don't like betting. Even if i had the money to do it, I wouldn't.

speedster

Mentor
I'll have to go with Illinois to win it all as they have this attitude thay says they will not get beat.Speaking of Illinois did you see Deron Williams' very white mother cheering her son on,I didn't happen to see his father there,I guess he was "busy".If it wasn't for white females between the ages of 15-25 there would no such thing as "racial mixing".I don't think there are too many white guys who find the black female to be all that attractive,at least I don't.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know a few white guys who are married to black women. A couple in Miss, but mostly in Louisiana, it's a lot more common there. I agree though that you will see more white girls with black guys than you will the other way around. I see this probably once a week.

Charlie

Guru
NC State had success using what announcers called a 'Princeton offense'. Which, simply stated, is bringing the big players outside and having the guards go backdoor. This means the big guys need to be able to pass and hit the long jumper. Three White starters. Coincidence?

Arizona lost to Illinois because AZ went 'ghetto' when it had the huge lead. No more need to run the offense. Just lots of posturing and angry gestures. Meanwhile three-Whites-on-the-floor Illinois just kept grinding away.

All of which suggests to my fevered mind White teams with the right approach can beat Black teams. Too often though White teams live or die by the outside shot. This has resulted in BYU, for example, losing relevence.

I agree, but whites do seem to be getting more aggressive. They have to be watching international competition and the ways in which whites from outside the U.S. are beating American blacks. There were a fair amount of competitive teams this year which started two or more whites, and a few came close to making the Final Four.

At least you can watch college basketball and in spite of the caste system there are whites who star at center, forward and guard, and all the derivatives of those positions. In college football, there are some white stars at quarterback but none at the other ball handling positions and hardly any on defense. The caste system is worse in football than basketball.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with that right winger. Good point.

speedster

Mentor
You know somethings a big deal in sports when the network that's carrying the event hauls out their sideline reporters who are mostly female and add nothing to the broadcast except their looks,and in the case of Bonnie Bernstein,she doesn't even have that.As far as the games themselves,BORRRRIIIING!