John Duddy

white is right

Hall of Famer
I just saw John Duddy's last fight and he looked lethargic and flat. Yes his defense is his offense. But in this fight he had no offense. I wonder if he had problems with his weight in camp? Lyle was no better than the guys that Duddy has been beating and looking vulnerable against. I just hope hasn't peaked out before he can cash out his NYC box office appeal.
smiley5.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Duddy needs to win this fight in specatular fashion then make a move in the Junior middle weight division. I don't think he has a chance against Kelly.

Maybe lure Pual Williams into a fight if he looks great here.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
from fightnews:

"Ireland's"Â￾ John Duddy made an impressive return to Madison Square Garden, annihilating Juan Astorga in round one. The inaptly nick-named "Aztec Warrior"Â￾ took a knee a minute into the first round after Duddy (28-1, 18 KOs) bounced a right hand off his head. A left hook to the body a few seconds later dropped Astorga (14-4-1, 9 KOs) again, and this time referee Wayne Kelly waived off the bout at 1:55 seconds of round one.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well that was spectacular, but something tells me the opponent was somewhere btwn A tomatoe can and teir 4 fighter

Blue Devils

Mentor
[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E513vN4yAdA[/tube]

John will fight on the Pacquaio-Clottey undercard in March.

Astorga has lost by KO OR TKO in every fight that he has faced an opponent with 10 or more wins. Duddy did take less time to TKO him than any previous opponent. But if show up with either Hunt's of Delmonte on his robe it will not surprise me.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes I just a found a copy of this fight in Polish and it was hard to tell what kind of opponent Duddy had in front of him. Duddy looked sharp and did a heavy bag routine on him. But with no incoming it's hard to tell if his defense is any tighter than it was in the past.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Here's a better version of the Astorga fight

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJm1dWvkuUw[/tube]

John will face Michael Medina 22-1(17) on the Pacquiao-Clottey undercard.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:
John will face Michael Medina 22-1(17) on the Pacquiao-Clottey undercard.
From Fightnews:

Middleweight John Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs) scored a workmanlike ten round split decision over Michael Medina (22-2-2, 17 KOs). Scores were 96-93, 96-93 for Duddy, 96-93 for Medina, who was deducted a point for a low blow at the end of round eight. Duddy is now in line for a showdown with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Blue Devils

Mentor
John gets Chavez Jr in Texas!

From Fightnews

The June 26 PPV clash between undefeated super welterweight contender and son of the legend Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs) and Ireland's John Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs) will be officially announced on Monday. The event, billed as "Latin Fury 15: La Furia de México."Â￾ will take place at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Also seeing action will be five-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera (68-7, 43 KOs), three-time world champion Jorge Arce (53-6-1, 40 KOs) and Salvador Sanchez III (19-3-2, 9 KOs).

Westside

Hall of Famer
Ok if John can't put a fraud like Chavez Jr out of his misery and cheap charade then John is not as good as we thought. Duddy needs to tear into him ad ko him within 8 rds. He needs to stop f'ing around.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Duddy to train in the Poconos. From Fightnews:

Ireland's John
Duddy, who has been training for weeks at Gleasons Gym in Brooklyn, will
soon be off for high-altitude training at the Pocono Mountains in
northeastern Pennsylvania. Craig Hamilton, manager of Duddy, made the
announcement today. Duddy and his team will be at the Fernwood Resort in
Bushkill, Pa. and train in a hotel facility. Duddy, a middleweight, is
wiring in for a showdown against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on Top Rank's
Latin Fury 15 Pay Per View on June 26 at the Alamodome in San Antonio,
Texas.
</font>

Chavez, Jr. is a joke, and a dud. I've never seen a fighter so easy to hit. Most of junior's fights have been against guys who can't punch grocery bags, not to mention seem fixed. Since Duddy is battle tested against some really tough opponents (like Walid Smichet), he should blast this fraud within 4-6 rounds. Unless the fight becomes staged again to make junior look really good.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
If Duddy is at his best, he will have no problems against Chavez.

However, he's been somewhat inconsistent the past couple of years, starting with his Smichet fight.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well Saturday's fight should be interesting. It will one, expose Chavez as a Arum novelity act, created by a steady diet of punch drunk Mexican cab drivers and "never will bees." Chavez knows that this is a make or break fight with the hiring of Freddie Roach as his lead trainer.

Duddy has a chance to devastate a "named fighter" and oblitarate him on PPV with bigger paydays and fights ahead. I can't see him losing if he fights smart, ie: using his boxing skills and dropping his power and the weaking looking Chavez at middle weight. The "truth" will bear out and enough of the BS fights for both of them after this.

One goes on to bigger and better things, the loser becomes a stepping stone or doormat above the club level, is a club level exists anymore.

JReb1

Mentor
Duddy isn't a great fighter but he's really good and one of the most exciting boxers who always leaves in all in the ring. Duddy's a joy to watch.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well it appears that Roach has had a positive influence of Chavez Jr. He looks like the best shape he has ever been in. Allthe stories coming out of Roach's gym are good. It looks like Freddie pushed him to an another level.

I hope Duddy did not peak a year and half ago. If Chavez takes Duddy's power well it could a long or short night for Duddy on the losing end. We'll see. This is a hugh fight for both of them with Cotto and a pot of gold on the near horizon.

j41181

Master
This is the biggest test for both fighters (especially for Duddy). If he loses, it's quite the end for him. A lose for Chavez, jr. would expose him as dud, but training under Freddie Roach might change that.

Best of luck to Duddy!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
From what I understand this fight is for the WBC silver middleweight title. That the WBC's new name for an interim belt.
Edited by: whiteathlete33