Jacob Hester named LSU starting RB

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, Dan was last of the over 1,000 rushers this year with 1,008, which made him 51st overall, just behind Jacob. 4 whites over 1,000 this year, almost 5. Not bad at all, but lets hope those numbers keep climbing. To look at it another way, we have 8 whites who have run for more yards than our best gainer did last year, and we have 3 more who will likely be added to those 8 after the bowl games.

whiteCB

Master
whiteCB said:
So who was the last white RB to rush for 1,000 yards in a season?

I'm sorry I totally screwed up on this question. Obviously being a caste football member I know white guys got 1000K last year. What I meant to say was: Who was the last white SEC RB to gain 1,000 yards in a season.

Stonewall

Guru
I'll throw out Hokie Gajan, who finished his career at LSU in 1980. I honestly don't have his stats at LSU in front of me, but I know that he ran for 615 yards with the New Orleans Saints in 1984 while averaging 6.0 yards per carry.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, I believe that would be Johnny Musso of Alabama, who had over 1,000 in 1970 and 71. You have to remember that most teams played a 10 game schedule up until the early 70s, basically when the whole SEC integrated, and rushing stats from bowls weren't counted until just the last decade or so. Now they count Championship game and bowl stats. LSU and Vandy had no 1000 yard runners until a black did it in the late 70s. Auburn had Jimmy Sidle in 1963. Ole Miss had Kayo Dottley in 1949 and 1950. That's half of the old 10 team SEC 1966-1991. I think I am right that Johnny Musso was the last before Jacob.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gajan had 568 yards in 1979 to lead LSU. That was his only year to do so.

whiteCB

Master
WOW! I can't(well actually I kind of can) believe it was that long ago. Also Col Reb or anyone else: who were the original SEC teams. I kind of consider myself a young sports historian so I like to gain all the info I can!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know what you mean whiteCB. The original 13 SEC teams when the 1933 football season began were Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Sewanee (The University of The South)-last football season was 1940, Georgia Tech-last football season was 1962, and Tulane-last football season was 1965. After staying at 10 teams through the 1991 season, Arkansas and South Carolina were added, and the conference split into 2 divisions, the leaders of which would play for the SEC title at season's end. That pretty much is how things are now. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Weren't a lot of those teams in the old Southern Conference? I know that's where much of the ACC came from, but thought I read somewhere some SEC teams did too. At Maryland they still have some old SoCon banners hanging from before they where in the ACC. I felt a chapter on history closed when they added BC to the ACC, the first from North of the Mason-Dixon line. A lot of conferences aren't true to their name anyway, oh well.

Sorry to get off topic!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep Electric Slide, the Southern Conference was huge, and a lot of the south and western-most teams left to form the SEC. Conferences mean less and less geographically these day for sure.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Mel Kiper has Jacob Hester listed as the #3 senior RB prospect for the 2008 draft.
Unbelievable.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool news, if it stays that way. I think Jacob will impress at the combine but I don't know if they will use him as a TB, H-Back, or FB in the NFL. We'll have to at least wait for the 2008 preseason to know. Of course they might pull another Brian Leonard on him switching him to FB in midseason after experimenting with his natural RB position for a few weeks.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point lumsdenpower! Should he be drafted high? Yes, but will he, and then if so, will he be given a decent chance to play RB instead of FB, that is the question.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think he will be chosen anywhere between 2nd and 3rd round, especially if he can get 4.5 40.
what remains to be seen whether he will get to play runningback.

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
I know what you mean whiteCB. The original 13 SEC teams when the 1933 football season began were Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Sewanee (The University of The South)-last football season was 1940, Georgia Tech-last football season was 1962, and Tulane-last football season was 1965. After staying at 10 teams through the 1991 season, Arkansas and South Carolina were added, and the conference split into 2 divisions, the leaders of which would play for the SEC title at season's end. That pretty much is how things are now.

Did you forget to mention Tennessee Col Reb in that original SEC lineup? Also what the heck is the University of the South? Is it still around? Also what conferences were South Carolina and Arkansas in before they joined? I'm sorry for all the questions I just find this stuff very interesting.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes I did, whiteCB. In editing my post, I somehow erased Tennessee. Sewanee (The University of The South) is still there and by the same name. They de-emphasized athletics back then and are now a D-III school. South Carolina was in the ACC through 1971 and then was an independent until 91 when they joined the SEC. Arkansas was the only non-Texas school in the old Southwest Conference, which lasted through the 1995 football season.

Deus Vult

Mentor
At LSU's awards banquet, white players took a majority of the top awards, and a number of the other awards. Hester, Flynn and Steltz were recognized, as well as Keith Zinger, Mit Cole, Brett Helms, Luke Sanders, Patrick Fisher, Shawn Jordan, and Sean Gaudet.

LSU Names Dorsey, Hester MVPs

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/12558566.html?showAll =y&c=y

Published: Dec 17, 2007

Defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and running back Jacob Hester were named recipients of the 2007 Charles McClendon Most Valuable Player Award on Sunday as LSU held its annual football banquet.

The Tigers (received honors) Sunday night in front of a packed room at the Holiday Inn Select...

Hester, a senior from Shreveport, was the backbone of the Tigers offense, leading the team with 1,017 yards and 11 touchdowns. Hester rushed for 120 yards in LSU's 21-14 win over Tennessee and he was also named the national offensive player of the week for his effort in the Tigers' 28-24 victory over Florida earlier this season.

Senior quarterback Matt Flynn was named the winner of the Percy Roberts Most Outstanding Offensive Player, while senior safety Craig Steltz was the honored with the Percy Roberts Most Outstanding Defensive Player award.

Flynn directed an LSU offense that set the school record for points scored with 503 so far this year. The Tigers are also averaging a school-record 38.7 points per game. In 11 games, Flynn has thrown for over 2,200 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Steltz, a finalist for the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, earned numerous first-team All-America honors in 2007. Steltz leads the Tigers with 97 tackles and he's first in the SEC with six interceptions.

Permanent team captains were also announced on Sunday with Hester and Flynn serving for the offense, Dorsey and Steltz for the defense and punter Patrick Fisher on special teams.

Other honors handed out Sunday include: R.J. Jackson with the Wild Tiger Championship Trophy for his play on special teams; Keith Zinger, Luke Sanders, and Carnell Stewart with the Unsung Hero Award; Mit Cole and Sean Gaudet with the Academic Award; Shawn Jordan Early Doucet and Sanders with the Alvin Roy Strength and Conditioning Award; Chevis Jackson, Brett Helms, and Jonathan Zenon with the Butch Duhe Award for character; and Ali Highsmith and Pittman with the George M. Wallace Award for defensive production points.

2007 LSU Football Awards

Charles McClendon Most Valuable Player: DT Glenn Dorsey and RB Jacob Hester

Percy Roberts Most Outstanding Offensive Player: QB Matt Flynn

Percy Roberts Most Outstanding Defensive Player: S Craig Steltz

Permanent Offensive Captains: QB Matt Flynn and RB Jacob Hester

Permanent Defensive Captains: DT Glenn Dorsey and S Craig Steltz

George M. Wallace Award: LB Ali Highsmith and DE Kirston Pittman

Butch Duhe Award: CB Chevis Jackson, C Brett Helms, CB Jonathan Zenon

Alvin Roy Strength and Conditioning Award: FB Shawn Jordan, WR Early Doucet, LB Luke Sanders

Academic Award: TE Mit Cole and PK Sean Gaudet

Unsung Hero Award: TE Keith Zinger, LB Luke Sanders, OT Carnell Stewart

Deus Vult

Mentor
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/12922567.html?showAll =y&c=y

Childhood drill helps toughen Tigers RB Hester

By SCOTT RABALAIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Dec 30, 2007 - Page: 1C

They called it "running the hill."

On the earthen embankment of a freeway overpass near their home in Shreveport, Jacob Hester and his brothers would run up the grassy slope under the watchful eye of their father, Joey.

Tied to their waists was a rope attached to an old tire at the other end.

"If I quit, I knew the consequences," Hester said.

His mother, Nancy Hester, thought the exercise cruel at times.

Jacob never did.

"Dad was a Marine, then a cop, kind of a tough guy," Hester said. "When I was little there was no crying, no breaks."

In the end, it toughened Hester. Perhaps it was the break he needed for the future.

"Jacob said it made him fast and strong," Nancy Hester said. "He thanked his dad many times."

Hester likes to joke that because LSU signed him in 2004, a two-star rated player out of Evangel, it cost LSU the ranking as that year's No. 1 recruiting class.

Now he has a chance to help make LSU a much more important No. 1.

In a sense, that young boy pulling that tire up a hill has become a man who has helped pull the LSU football team to the summit. Pulled it to the point where Hester and the Tigers will play Ohio State on Jan. 7 in the Superdome for the BCS national championship.

"There's been so many ups and downs this year," Hester said. "So many highs and lows. Luckily, everything fell into place."

When considering Jacob Hester as a football player and what he means to his football team, it becomes apparent that luck has little if anything to do with it.

"He's a special guy," said LSU coach Les Miles, who has gushed about Hester's playing ability since. "If it's possible for him to make a play, he'll make it. He'll find a way."

'Stop No. 13'
Today, Hester's number is 18  on his jersey, on his personalized license plate.

As a young boy playing Pop Warner football he was No. 13. And the other team was always aware of where No. 13 was.

"I remember the other team drawing plays in the dirt and saying, 'If you can stop 13, that's all you can do,' " Nancy Hester recalled.

Even as a fifth- and sixth-grader at Evangel, Hester made an impression with his strength, keeping up pound-for-pound with the school's older athletes in the weight room.

"There's an innate toughness about him and you just don't coach that," said former Evangel coach Dennis Dunn, now head coach at Louisiana College. "He had something inside him that even as a little boy you could see. He's a tough, tough kid. He had tremendous hip strength and explosion."

Hester played nose guard his first two years in high school. His future father-in-law, then Evangel offensive coordinator Chris Tilley, tried to convince Dunn that his talents would be better used elsewhere.

"He told coach Dunn, 'Our best offensive player is playing nose guard.' " Hester said.

His junior year, injuries thinned Evangel's depth at running back.

"So he gave me a shot," Hester said. "I think I rushed for 200 yards that game."

Dunn recalled: "We looked at him at running back in practice one day and said, 'He's right.' He took over at that point and was the state player of the year at running back as a junior."

Recruited to LSU as a fullback, Hester toiled there, seeing spot duty for two years before blossoming again as a junior.

Starting at fullback and at tailback, Hester led the Tigers with 440 yards rushing and six touchdowns. He added to his reputation as a versatile athlete by making 35 catches for 269 yards and three touchdowns. And, oh yes, seven special teams tackles.

Through it all, Hester played tough, even when injured.

"You never think any injury can keep you out of the game," he said. "I always grew up with that kind of mentality."

A stellar senior season
Before the 2007 season began and even as the games passed, speculation mounted as to when seemingly more talented tailbacks like Keiland Williams, Charles Scott and Richard Murphy would push Hester back to the fullback spot.

Aside from spelling him here or there, it never happened. Hester not only held onto the job as LSU's top tailback, he produced one of the best seasons for a running back in school history.

His 1,017 yards rushing (with 11 touchdowns) on 204 carries is already the ninth-best single-season rushing total for any LSU back. Only six other running backs in the Southeastern Conference have more yards on the ground than Hester this season.

"We have great respect for him," Scott said. "It's tough in the SEC to rush for 1,000 yards. That's enough said right there."

It is more than Hester's ability to make the tough yards  like on fourth down after fourth down against Florida on Oct. 6. Or the fact in 343 career rushing attempts, the ball has slipped only once from his thick, oversized hands to an opposing defender, and that was as a freshman (Hester fumbled against Arkansas this year, but LSU center Brett Helms covered it).

It's the little things that LSU's other running backs know are the reason their place on the depth chart is in line behind Hester.

"He's a joy to watch," said Williams, who with Scott have become close friends with Hester. The two often accompany him on visits back home to Shreveport. "A lot of people don't realize what he does.

"Go back and look at the Auburn film of the (winning touchdown) pass to (Demetrius) Byrd. On that pass he and (fullback) Shawn Jordan pick up two great blocks. That's what people don't see. He's probably our best pass blocker. That's why he's in most situations like that. That comes from his attitude, being tough."

That's amore
People consider Hester a throwback player, something that again goes back to his roots.

Hester has an affinity for John Wayne movies  his parents named him for a character Wayne played in the 1971 film "Big Jake," Jacob McCandles. He has a soft spot for Dean Martin ballads and never completes his pregame routine without mellowing out to a little Elvis Presley in the locker room.

Occasionally the modern man comes out, like in the SEC Championship Game when he delivered a crushing blow on a carry to Tennessee safety Jonathan Hefney.

"He doesn't trash talk," Williams said, "but occasionally he will. In the Tennessee game when he ran over that guy he said, 'You'd better look out, there's a man coming through here.'

"That's very funny. I mess with him about that."

So does Hester's wife, Katie, a high school sweetheart who he proposed to just after last year's Arkansas game in Little Rock.

"I'm definitely mild mannered until it comes to the football field," Hester said. "Then I have a switch that turns on. My wife always kids me that at home I'm just another guy, but on the football field she likes to see me talk trash because that's so unlike me."

If there's a reason Hester plays like a man from a different era, it's because he emulates one.

Not long ago, Hester started getting calls from LSU legend Jimmy Taylor, a Pro Football Hall of Fame running back with the Green Bay Packers and the New Orleans Saints.

Though their senior LSU seasons are separated by half a century, Taylor said the principles are still the same.

"I'm no different than he is or any of thousands of other running backs," Taylor said. "No different. It's in the head and the heart how much you want to work, how bad you want it, the intensity and not being denied. When you put that ball under your arm, it's you and those (defensive) people over there."

Taylor said he has tried to advise players before, but his words fell on deaf ears.

That wasn't the case with Hester.

"I think he's a good team person," Taylor said. "I really admire that. He has good hands and doesn't fumble. He works very hard and has got a good head."

Hester said he has watched film of Taylor and was flattered when the football great approached him.

"I knew about Jimmy Taylor before I came to LSU," Hester said. "He tells me things I should be doing. He's given me some stiff-arm tips and tells me never to go out of bounds."

"When they've got you pinned to the sideline," Taylor said. "try to drop your shoulder and initiate the contact instead of receiving it."

Somebody should have told Jonathan Hefney about that.

Then again, Hefney should have seen Hester coming.

He's been coming on for years, running up the hill.

White Power

Mentor
A beautiful article about hopefully the real caste breaker at the running back position in the NFL. Go
Jacob and do us all proud on Jan 7th white power roll on.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is a nice article. Maybe some NFL people and college ADs will take notice of the drawing power white athletes can have. White youth need good role models to look up to. Sadly there are few white NFL RBs for them to look to. Jacob is a good role model I believe, and there should be dozens of men just like him starting in college and a lot in the NFL as well. Keep running Jacob!
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
That is a nice article. Maybe some NFL people and college ADs will take notice of the drawing power white athletes can have. White youth need good role models to look up to. Sadly there are few white NFL RBs for them to look to. Jacob is a good role model I believe, and there should be dozens of men just like him starting in college and a lot in the NFL as well. Keep running Jacob!
smiley32.gif

Well said Colonel, If McGuffie ever becomes an NFL starting HB, I predict his official NFL Jerseys sell like hotcakes. Maybe this will wake the NFL up to the fact that whites need at least a few role models at "forbidden" positions to aspire to. I predict 10 years from now their will be more than one starting white HB in the NFL. Things are changing slowly for the better.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Great article on draft daddy about Jacob Hester check it out if you have the
time.