Drew Bennett 41st best receiver in NFL

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Titans don't know it yet, but their fate is sealed as a bottom dweller with Young at the helm.

Kaptain

Master
Yep, and Bennett will surely get the blame. Soon we will here how the Titans don't have any talent at the WR position; after all just look, Drew Bennett is their #1 reciever!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Check out this caste filled screed by the Caste Football Fantasy site on Bennett.

"Impact: Bennett is emerging as an every-week fantasy play to consider. Kerry Collins looked to him often, but Collins' passes were often off-target. He may see a slight drop in production if Vince Young become the starter, but Bennett himself is enjoying an excellent rebound season."

Yes Bennett is "an every week player to consider" he is the 19th ranked receiver in points which makes him a MUST every week receiver. They did nail the fact that Collins sucks and that Young will suck even worse.

This is bad news for my team (and all of Tennessee) but maybe Young will just heave the ball up in his direction every pass play like a typical college QB. Bennett is the no. 1 guy although Young will probably develop "chemistry" with one of the black receivers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Look for the production of David Givens, whose signing with Tennessee during the offseason was given the usual media star treatmentreserved formediocre black receivers, to suddenly increase. He's done nothing to this point.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We've talked about Kevin Curtis being a free agent after '06, but I just found out that Drew Bennett is, too. The Sporting News mentions it twice in the current issue, once as possibly going to the 49ers, and also as a good fit for the Vikings. His speed and ability to stretch the field and run after the catch is actually complimented.

Drew is still just 28 years old, the age at which the very few whites who ever get a chance at WRare usually finally getting tosee the field, ala Mike Furrey. Let's pray that Bennett is smart enough to leave Tennessee. He'll never have anything but pedestrian receiving statistics with the NFL"s Next Great Thing at the helm. He needs to go somewhere where there is a good white quarterback and where there is a need for a good receiver. Many different teams fit that bill.

devans

Mentor
Absolutely. There's only so much blocking youwould want to do.

whiteCB

Master
MEMO to Drew Bennett: Please leave Tennessee as soon as possible!!! ASAP!!! Get as far away from Vince Young as you can if you want to go back to the Pro Bowl.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Drew Bennett: "It would take something strong for me to not test the market. That's not saying we can't get anything done before March 2. But yeah, it would take a very strong effort on their part for me after three years not to wait the next two weeks."

Let's hope so. If he wants to have nothing but lousy stats and be the whipping boy for Vince Young's primitive throwing skills, then he should stay with the Titans. Otherwise get the hell out of town!
<H1>Bennett likely to test market as free agent</H1>

Smith's agent is ready for talks with new GM

By PAUL KUHARSKY
Staff Writer
Titans wide receiver Drew Bennett is disappointed to lose his position coach, excited that a new general manager is in place and intrigued by the idea of pending unrestricted free agency.
Bennett is set to hit the open market when the NFL calendar year starts on March 2. General Manager Mike Reinfeldt and the Titans need to determine if they want to make a play for Bennett or any of the team's other free agents to-be before then.
And even then, it could be hard to lock up Bennett, defensive tackle Robaire Smith, quarterback Kerry Collins or wide receiver Bobby Wade.
With the salary cap up to $109 million per team and 19 teams expected to have more than $20 million in space under the cap, many players will want to get a full sense of their value around the league.
"It would take something strong for me to not test the market," Bennett said Wednesday. "That's not saying we can't get anything done before March 2. But yeah, it would take a very strong effort on their part for me after three years not to wait the next two weeks."
Smith's agent, Michael Harrison, said he anticipates a great market for his client if he gets to free agency, but he could just as easily re-sign with the Titans before March 2.
Harrison said he spoke with Titans Coach Jeff Fisher and director of player personnel Rich Snead in recent weeks and that both said they want to retain Smith. Now Harrison anticipates a talk with Reinfeldt.
"We're wide open right now," Harrison said. "Robaire would like to stay in Tennessee but at the same time it's got to be a fair deal for him obviously. If that were to happen for him the day before free agency, that's fine."

Attractive option
Bennett could be an attractive option for some teams. Sports Illustrated recently included him on a list of the top 20 potential free agents.
He said he hopes he's a priority for the Titans, but is in no hurry to do anything.
"My agent (Gary Uberstine), I think he expects now that there is a GM to have some conversations and kind of see where that leads," Bennett said.
The Titans signed the 6-foot-5, 206-pound Bennett as an undrafted free agent in 2001. He signed a three-year deal in 2004 worth roughly $6 million with guaranteed bonuses totaling $2.55 million.
Bennett ranks eighth in franchise career receiving yards (4,033) and ninth in receptions (273). He is regarded as a quality route runner, but has worn down some in the latter stages of recent seasons.
There's also been consistent debate about whether he's a No. 1 receiver, but Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow has said he doesn't need one receiver designated as the primary threat.

Looking ahead
Bennett led the Titans with 46 receptions for 737 yards last season as veteran free-agent addition David Givens dealt with injuries and missed all but five games. Bennett was the veteran leader of a young group that struggled to be consistent as rookie quarterback Vince Young settled in.
Givens is unlikely to be ready to return from knee surgery for the start of the regular season. With or without Bennett, the Titans are expected to add receivers through the draft, free agency or both.
If Bennett re-signs with the Titans, he will have his third position coach in four years. Ray Sherman, wide receivers coach last season, told Fisher on Tuesday he's leaving to join the Dallas Cowboys' staff.
"He did well with all the players, the guys that were considered tougher to coach, the guys that were easier to coach," Bennett said. "It's a shame that we're losing him."
Reach Paul Kuharsky at 615-259-8024 or pkuharsky@tennessean.com.
[url]http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007021 5/SPORTS01/702150404/1027[/url]

whiteCB

Master
Good article and like how Drew says it will take a pretty good offer to stay with the Titans. Bennett needs to get as FAR AS POSSIBLE away from Vince Young if Drew wants to ever go to a Pro Bowl again.

whiteCB

Master
Has anyone heard any rumors about what teams are interested in Bennett. I really haven't heard a thing.

hedgehog

Mentor
Check out the readers comments at the bottom of the article backrow hyperlinked.

2. As a Titan fan let me say that Drew Bennett is a
quality citizen on & off the field.When used as a #2
receiver Bennett is a plus for any team,as a #1 not
so great.If the Vikes sign him they will pick up a
good possesion receiver with sneaky speed,unfortunatley
the Titans are in desperate need of a receiver who
can stretch defences,and that isn't Drew's game.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The Titans are in need of a quarterback, not a receiver who can 'stretch defences (sic).'

And wtf is 'sneaky speed,' anyway?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Sneaky speed or deceptive Speed...ridiculous! It could also be Bennett's skin color that is seen as deceiving to these idiots. Maybe they think he's a black Albino.
smiley36.gif
White guys can never get credit.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Charles Robinson: Drew Bennett, wide receiver, Tennessee Titans. Barring a major salary cap cut, Bennett should be at the top of a weak pool of wideouts. He's a quality No. 2, which is precisely what a number of teams need. And unlike Kevin Curtis and other free agents, Bennett has top-notch size. At 28, he's a solid long-term option for teams in need of a reliable possession guy. This is a weak year for skill position players, and that bodes well for Bennett.

chris371

Mentor
How on earth can they call him a possession guy! Keyshawn johnson is a possession guy, drew bennet is a deep threat!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that the truth! He's been a "possession receiver" only because he's had Steve McNair and Vince Young throwing to him almost his entire career. The only exception was a few games when Billy Volek was the QB, and viola -- Bennett tied the NFL record with 8 TDs in 3 games, mostly by blowing by defensive backfields.

Bennett needs to sign with a team that has a capablestarting quarterback, because he has the ability to lead the NFL in receiving, as he almost did in 2004 during the all-too-brief Billy Volek era at Tennessee. Don't sign with Minnesota!

I love the term "sneaky speed." In the early 90's, the University of Tennessee had a WR named Craig Faulkner. He was decribed in the press as having "good hands and smarts." Faulkner did have those qualities, but was also the fastest Vol WR at the time, and often blew by defenders.

Vindicator

This really is a good article, perhaps the best one could ever expect from an SI writer covering a white football player. I especially appreciated the observation that Bennett's 16.0 ypc average last year exceeded that of a multitude of other "star" (black) receivers! It's great to see and to have this in print.

The ubiquitousness of anti white male propaganda makes me suspicious of any sports writer's compliments, however. I noticed that Silver refers to Bennett as having "rangy speed". I wonder whether that is some new kind of caste-system based, left handed compliment intended to mean that Drew has slightly better than "sneaky speed" or "deceptive speed"? Bennett is legitimately fast in the full meaning of the word.

Silver also says that Bennett is "pretty fly for a white guy". That comment is undoubtedly indicative of bias. My speculation is that this phrase, combined with the "rangy speed" reference constitute "code" inserted for the benefit of other caste system oriented writers who might be reading. Silver perhaps wants to make sure that his peer group knows that even though Silver's praise of Bennett is strong, that he (Silver) is still a member in good standing of the greater caste group of sports writers, and that he (Silver) realizes that Bennett, as good as Bennett is, is after all, only a white athlete.

nhl411

Guru
i think rangy speed actually just means he takes long strides and that pretty fly for a white guy was a joke meant to jab at people who think whites cant play...thought it was a pretty unbiased article actually

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
from draftdaddy.com:

DD.com Comment: Our inside source at the Combine said Oakland and San Francisco really like Bennett, who is a California native. Considering the 49ers already have a quarterback in place, we think that San Francisco might be the better fit from Bennett's prespective.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
He's been a "possession receiver" only because he's had Steve McNair and Vince Young throwing to him almost his entire career.  The only exception was a few games when Billy Volek was the QB, and viola -- Bennett tied the NFL record with 8 TDs in 3 games, mostly by blowing by defensive backfields. 

Great point Don. If Lumsdenpower is right and his time is 4.5 flat, and I'm sure he is, than Bennett is faster than average for drafted WRs. I posted a link of two recent draft years. One year the average time of a WR at the combine was 4.57 the other 4.51.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/wr

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2004/04/20/2/

4.5 would make Bennett faster than such stars such as Chad Johnson, Plaxico, Keshawn, Anquan Bolden, even Jerry Rice. And equal in speed to Larry Fitz who ran a 4.5. Bennett is also tall and could be utilized the way Plaxico is going for the deep jump ball, but he he has a problem, he doesn't have the hip wiggle!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins