Denis Boytsov

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Young Denis Boytsov (20-0, BoxRec #107 heavyweight) was originally scheduled to fight veteran Robert Hawkins (23-10, BoxRec #42 heavyweight) in Germany on Apr 5 on same card as Felix Sturm.

But he will now face Hawkins on Apr 26.

Hawkins has won two of his last three fights, defeating Dominic Guinn and Terry Smith. He's fairly durable and generally only loses to good opponents, such as Virchis and Tua. This is a good step up for Denis.

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This fight is coming up this weekend.

One the same card there's two title fights:
Zsolt Erdei vs. DeAndrey Abron (WBO light heavyweight title)
Sergiy Dzinziruk vs. Lukas Konecny (WBO light middleweight title).

Here's a video of Boytsov's last fight. His opponent wasn't very good, but Denis took him out the way good fighter should:

Boytsov vs. Connelly

Blue Devils

Mentor
Considering Hawkins has beat the decent Guinn and Smith this should be a good test for Boytsov. I'd love to see Boytsov take on that loud-mouth Kevin Johnson. Erdei I think is fast and clever enough to give Tarver all he could handle. Certainly put up a better fight than Woods did. Dzinziruk I hear is wanting to come across the Atlantic to apply his trade most likely against Yuri Foreman. Good fight card from top to bottom with Erdei's countrymen Balzsay and Bedak also appearing. Edited by: Blue Devils

Sean

Mentor
I'm looking forward to this fight. It will be a good test for Boytsov, who may end up being the best prospect around.

The card in general looks like it will be a good one. Lot's of top quality white fighters featured.Edited by: Sean

Iron

Guru
If Boytsov stops Hawkins that would be quite a notch on his record and would prove he truly has a world class offence.Boytsov has drawn many comparisons in his stlye,speed,power,body type and intensity to a young Mike Tyson which is an apt comparison.Tyson was an exceptional but ultimately short lived talent.Some would use his lack of size as a critique but its all relative.He's not 6'6 and 240 but he's no Chris Byrd either which draws another comparison to the young Tyson who in his prime intimidated far larger heavy's with his physique alone,smashing bigger guys to pieces with a combination of speed and ferocity.Boytsov potentially posseses the same tools and can make the same impact as the Marciano's,Tysons. Smaller heavys that overwhelm the bigger guys.He's potentially superstar material due not only to his fighting style but the intimidating aura he's conveyed since his amateur days.He seems to posesses a real killer instinct that will draw the fans in worldwide as he steps up in class.Boytsovs potentially the modern Jack Dempsey to Vlads Gene Tunney.Hopefully tomorrows another step in the right direction for the young Russian.Edited by: Iron

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
If Denis Boytsov fails to become a top contender, there are another 12 to 15 very young heavyweights in Russia and the Ukraine who have potential.

From what I understand, the next generation (I mean those who are now age 18 to 22) coming out of Eastern Europe will likely be even better than our current contenders, and so the heavyweight division will be stronger and deeper in a few years.

Sean

Mentor
That's true JD, Eastern European amateur programs are so good, they will turn out many good fighters.

I highly doubt Boytsov will fail as a prospect. I think he may be one of the best of the bunch in time!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Denis Boytsov will be back on July 5, on the undercard or Chagaev vs. Valuev, against durable journeyman Fernely Feliz (23-8).

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Denis Boytsov won every round on every card in his fight with Fernely Feliz today.

100-90
100-90
100-90

today's fight card results

This was good a good fight for him, since he needs rounds against experienced, durable opponents like Feliz, who's been in with a lot of top heavyweights.

web toughguy

Denis boytsov could make a impact in the future if he stays dedicated listens and makes it happen. He is small but that could can go for him if he has the chin and heart to overcome it . He could be the next jack sharkey type fighter . I have wondered why the eastern block boxers do so well it clearly isnt genetic difference than to say a white frenchman. I think its the fact that these russians havent been brought up on the diet of there media mocking the atheltic abilties of the peoples gene pool in other words they believe in themselves

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Denis Boytsov was impressive today, moving quickly with excellent technique and power, easily stopping Israel Garcia in the second round. Boytsov looked better against Garcia than Arreola did last fall.

Sean

Mentor
Great win for Boytsov.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
smiley1.gif
On June 6 in Germany, Denis Boytsov will be fighting another Universum heavyweight, Taras Bidenko.

This will be a crossroads fight for both - one will emerge as a top contender, the other will sink in the rankings.

Both are very good, but I think Denis has been improving and so should win in a very competitive fight.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I'm hoping Boytsov will win. I think if he fights the way he did against Garcia he'll win comfortably.

Being that they're stablemates I'm hoping they put their friendship aside and put on an entertaining show like Balzsay-Inkin rather than Chagaev-Virchis.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Good fight today.

Denis Boytsov dominated Taras Bidenko, finishing him off with a perfect quick uppercut to the chin in the 6th round. It was an impressive performance by the 23 year old.

Boytsov is definitely one of the three or four best heavyweights under age 25. If he were just taller and had a longer reach, he'd become a top heavyweight for sure. Unfortunately he's a natural cruiserweight and so may have a problems against big men like Helenius and Fury.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The heavyweight division would be wide open for guys like Povetkin, Boystov,Dimitrenko, Ustinov, and Platov. None of these fighters will become champions as long as the Klitschko's are fighting. I just read the Klitschko may want to fight each other!!