Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Pickering needs to set his goals high. Why only a sub 10? If he is just being a so called realist, why even attempt to do what no white sprinter has done before? I have read interviews where he thinks he can possibly run in the 9.8 range by 2012. I like his attitude. You need to shoot for olympic and world championship gold medals. Not just going sub 10. He wants way more than that. Gay is 4 years older and he has progressed very nicely. Give Craig some time and God willing let him stay healthy.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
First off, Aborigine's have no relation to Africans as far as everything that I have read. So Patrick Johnson is the first man of non african ancestry to do it. The media and fans will just always lable him as part black because some of the aborigine's looks are similar to blacks. I have seen whites that also have big lips, noses, long legs, short torso but where white as snow.

As for Pickering, I am standing by my prediction. He will
go sub 10 this year barring another serious injury. They will continue to work on his form. He has the power, speed and stamina down pat. I still think running a few 200 meters races would do him some good. He doesn't have to win but it will give him a better base and a little more speed endurance.

Running sub 10 requires many aspects from mental to physical. I think that one of the greatest things that alot of white sprinters need to work on is to relax more. Not only the mental edge but learning to let your speed carry you through the finish line without tieing up. You can only run all out for 60-70 meters. Then it is the guys who relax the best who win the races.

Shirvo never had good form. He was choppy and had trouble staying in his lanes. I loved the guy but he needed some serious help with his form. With his speed and power, he should have went sub 10 multiple times and at least made several major finals. It's very sad the Khmel couldn't coach him better. Just my opinion.

Yes that is true that Aborigine's are not sub-Saharan African, but my point was that their skin is the same as sub-Saharan Africans so fans attribute Patrick Johnson's achievement to his "blackness". Aborigine's are theoretically supposed to be very closely related to Indonesians and Malaysians from the human migration theories and reached Australia as long as 55,000 years ago. And the Indonesians and Malaysians came from the Vietnam region and before that from the India region. And people from India are closer related to whites than the Chinese and Japanese supposedly. Of course we have all shared a common relative with in the last 80,000 years according to these theories.

But as far as Pickering going 9.8, I just don't believe he could do it when no white man has ever even gone sub 10, I am just trying to be realistic. Pickering going 9.95 would be a huge achievement. And like I said, I believe a time will come where that could occasionally win Gold with a clean field! That is what I would hope for. If I could see a white man win at 100 meters in my lifetime I would be very excited. I like cheering for underdogs that have to defy stereotypes.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I have no doubt that, overall, it is more likely that one would find more West Africans who can run the short sprint in the 10 second range than whites. I think whites can do it too, though perhaps not quite so often.

By the same token -- sports media commentators and their ilk never want to acknowledge that the best combination of speed, strength, agility and strategy is usually owned by whites, hence the general white domination of major decathalons.

kre08

Guru
Pickering placed third in his race today against good competition with a 10.25 into a headwind. He beat fellow Brits Tyrone Edgar and Simeon Williamson. I like Craig's chances this season as he continues to heal and come into form.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Other than the injuries, Pickering is right where they want him to be. In sprinting, peaking at the right time is everything. His first race was a 10.38 and today he ran a very easy 10.25 for 3rd. His coach wanted Craig to be very careful today. They want him to slowly progress and then start running all out in August. The plan is going as scheduled. Trust me, he could have run alot faster today, he was being very careful which is smart. Why get hurt in a race that doesn't count for anything in the big picture of things.

Craig has a p.b. of 10.13 from last season. He also ran a couple of 10.15 times in very bad sprinting conditions. He is right where he and his coach want him to be. Trust me guys. They ran him too hard, too early last season and he burned out before the World Champs. They have a game plan and I expect him to make the finals at the Olympics. He may not be a medalist yet, but you will see some Shirvo type times very soon. Just remember that I told you so.
smiley36.gif

the CLEAN all-time times in the sprints:
100m KIM COLLINS 9.98
200M VALERIY BORZOV 20.00
400M JERMEY WARINER 43.43

If pickering can better 9.98 then he has the best 100m time without drugs, which he will achieve in the near future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig runs in the 100 tommorow. The track meet will be on WCSN.com and I believe it is free this time. Either way, I expect him to drop a very fast time in the 10.15 range if weather permits. M.Osovnikar is also entered.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm watching the meet live over the internet. Craig just won his semi final heat in a time of 10.27 into a negative 3.6 wind! That has to be good for around a 10.10 to 10.15 time at the very least.He shut if down early but led the entire race. Obikwelu won the first semi final in a 10.09 time -2.0 wind. Matic finished 4th in that semi. The finals is setting up for a very fast race if the wind could just die down or change directions. I just hope that Pickerings hamstring holds up ok with the multiple races. He has to get used to it however with the olympics only a month away.Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I checked the stats on another site. Craigs time actually converts to a 10.00 time but because of the altitude the comp. adjusts it to a 10.05! This could have easily been a new personal best but just like last season, the weather is not cooperating. We still have the finals to go so let's hope the wind dies down. Turn that wind around to a +2.0 and he goes sub 10 easily today already. Way to go Craig. He will smash that barrier soon. I have told you guys forever and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I don't just put anyone on my avatar.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white lightning

G

Yeah, I was gonna say, 10.27 into -3.6 is more like 10.10.

If he dips below that, it's time to start getting excited.

guest301

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
I checked the stats on another site. Craigs time actually converts to a 10.00 time but because of the altitude the comp. adjusts it to a 10.05! This could have easily been a new personal best but just like last season, the weather is not cooperating. We still have the finals to go so let's hope the wind dies down. Turn that wind around to a +2.0 and he goes sub 10 easily today already. Way to go Craig. He will smash that barrier soon. I have told you guys forever and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I don't just put anyone on my avatar.
smiley36.gif

When a white guy finally does break that 10 second barrier and he most certainly will someday. I can't think of a person I would be happier for than you, White Lightning. You have been beating this drum for a long time and I think your vindication is coming soon. Maybe Pickering is the guy to do it!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks guest301. I am one of the biggest track fans on the planet and I have also sprinted some over the years. It is a beautiful sport and I have always fought the stereotype that whites can't sprint. I remember even on the basketball courts, hearing that whites can't jump and now we have alot of kids doing the same dunks that Kobe, Lebron and MJ do. It is just a matter of time for a white sprinter to go sub 10.

Remember that we have had 3 white sprinters go sub 20 so why would sub 10 be any different? It will be like a dam bursting. Once the water starts to burst, it will turn into a water fall/river. At least that is my dream. I want to see white kids in this country fall in love with track like they love the X Games! Then will we see some athletes that will blow your mind.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There were two false starts in the final and the first one went to Pickering. He wasn't the same after that in my opinion but that's life. No excuses. He finished in the finals in a time of 10.23 into a negative 1.1 wind for 4th place. You could tell he was very angry at himself. It is still only his 3rd race of the season so hopefully alot of good things are to come. It just it really too bad that he didn't get a new p.b. today like he should have. He looked so good in the semi finals. I'm pretty sure that next weekend are the British National Champs/Olympic Team Selection. He will have to be ready as there is alot of talent going up against him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Just to confirm for the doubters, here is a short article with a little about Pickering and how special his performance was today despite the outcome. It is only a matter or time and better conditions before my hypothesis becomes true. I know most of you are rooting for Craig but there are alot of doubters even here at this board. That suprises me because just like the white running back, we know it can be done. There are just very few participants that get the chance. More white running backs starting, more success. More white sprinters someday, multiple sub tens. Especially if US kids ever wake up and start sprinting. Here is the link to what could have been his first flat or sub ten.

http://www.athletics-weekly.com/newsarticle.php?id=620

G

I don't doubt that it can be done. It should have been done already.

I only doubt that a guy who has never even run 10.0 can "for sure" run 9.9. I have seen several white sprinters run 10.0. What makes you so sure that a guy who has only run 10.1 is going to run 9.9?

Of course he has a chance. He is young and fast. But you bank far too much on him not getting hurt. Sprinters get hurt. They don't stay healthy for several years in a row. They have bad years.

When the best white sprinters get hurt it should always be an "of course" moment. Never a "darn!" moment. All sprinters of all races get hurt.

waterbed

Mentor
Wow 10.27 -3.6 is very impressive.That could have been easily sub 10 with a Pushing wind of 0.5 or above.And I think it's only a 0.1 second slower compared to wind to Tyson Gay's 9.76 1.7.Very Impressive!.08-05-08 could have been white sub 10 day if the wind was better.Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The British Championships/Olympic Selection are next weekend. Can we please get some descent weather in London which isn't always easy? Also is it too much to ask for either no wind or a positive wind? They need to seed the clouds or something.
smiley36.gif

I know it's a week away but I will make my predition now. Craig makes the team by finishing in the top 3. He will break his p.b. and run in the sub 10.10 range! It's hard to run fast over there for the most part. I feel something special however. It's really a bummer because all of the other elite white sprinters are running like crap. Jay Conn, T.Unger and Hession are at least respectable. We need some faster times in the next month. Pickering in my honest opinion is probably the only one capable or it at the moment. It is very hard to run rounds and it requires alot of strength.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes I do think that Pickering is better than Shirvington. Shirvo was just as powerful but was very choppy. If he could have got some better coaching and worked on his form more, he would have went sub 10 multiple times. Shirvo frequently had trouble staying in his lanes but boy was he gifted. Watching Shivo was like watching a pit bull. Pure power and he was also a very good starter. His mechanics were what held him back more than anything in my opinion.

Craig Pickering could use some more work on his mechanics but he is already ahead of Matt. The times are not there yet but he is on the verge. Out of the white sprinters in the 100, I think that Michael LeBlanc has the best combo of power and speed with good form. It is a little different but still smooth. Go to youtube and type in Michael LeBlanc. You can see his races from last year before he got hurt in regular speed and in slow motion.

Pickering will open peoples eyes very soon. I've said it for two years now and you guys can hold me to it. I wish I could help coach some of these guys. Any predictions on next weekends times?

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I agree that Shirvington was an extremely powerful runner. He never quite lived up to his potential, it seems. Still, he's not quite 30 yet. Has he hung up his spikes for good?

I have a question, though -- the board keeps talking about a white guy going under 10 flat, but what exactly will happen after that happens?

I mean, will the guy get tons of endorsements and praise and get a parade or something, or will the media just clown on him like some loser who got lucky, and the praise he gets will be the sarcastic or condescending kind?

I predict he'll get backhand praise -- like the media will say something along the lines of "well, that's good, but then look at all the black runners who did it first" then it will eventually turn into this whole thing about how blacks are discriminated against.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He will get endorsements. He will get alot of hype but they will still say he can't win championships. Craig needs to win medals at Worlds and Olympics. That is the only way to get respect. Going sub 10 is a huge mental thing. Some really good black sprinters fail for years. Once you do it, you usually become a better sprinter because you have a mental edge. Craig Pickering needs to do it mutiple times and make finals at the major events. I can see him running in the 9.8 - 9.9 range in the next several years on a regular basis. He has the potential to be that good. He just can't let the money, prestige and women ruin him. He will have to stay focused and train harder than ever. Easier said than done but I wouldn't bet against him. He is special!

American X

I think Mark McGwire's congressional testimony,Barry Bonds's 'roid use, Clemens, the Mitchell Report, and Marion Jones's BALCO-related imprisonment will pretty much serve to mute the response of any sprint-related accomplishments going forward. Especially being that he's white, ifCraig does go sub-10,they'll probably say he'sjuiced out of his gourd.

Then the added scandals of all those Greek weightliftersgetting busted for 'roiding in April, and now with the entire Bulgarian wieghtlifting team being pulled from the Olympics after getting caught cheating last week definitely won't help that perception that's already out there.

mastermulti

Master
just a few thoughts about the above discussion...........

Matt ran 3 windless sub 10.10s before he was 20 and got an offer of
$1,000,000 to become the first "Australian" (read "white Australian") to
break 10 seconds (his 10.03 was into a 0.1m/s which equates to a 9.90 if
he'd had a +1.9... so much for luck).

In 1998 he was blissfully unaware of how good he could become and his
running was more relaxed than it became later once the pressure was put
on him. Add to this the feelings of tension when he was running against
Patrick Johnson who was much less likely to tie up under pressure and we
saw his progress virtually halted.
He became stronger, fitter and should have been faster but his head got
in the way. He got sick often, injured regularly.

In 2003 he again ran a sub 10.10 so he certainly had the ability for some
years to go sub10.

He secured a TV job, he got married to his childhood sweetheart Jess (just
had baby number two) and he moved to LOndon to assist with Jess's
restaurant business. He's a contented family man with great wider family
support and I tihnk the urgency just left him.

I am friendly with (compete against) his uncle Pat from whom I've put
these pieces together. He wouldn't go to Japan in May to be part of the
Aussie 4x1 attempt to qualify for the OGs because his 2nd baby was due,
even
though he would have loved to help them qualify.

Now, if I can only talk him into my Masters relay team in 6 years time
.....hmmm!

I saw him warm up before a pro race in 2001 and he did a standing high
jump as he was getting on the blocks and I swear his ankles got to my
shoulder height . People who saw it just gasped! ...... explosive and as
strong as they come.

Let's hope nothing ebbs away Craig's ambitionsEdited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the story about Shirvo mastermulti. You are a valued member of the board here and your track knowledge has always been impressive. I love the fact that you still compete. The last time I ran the 100 was around 5 years ago at the Grand Canyon State Games.

Matt was one of my favorite sprinters for a long time and I'm sure he was popular all around the world. I have heard many stories about him with most of them being very good. Isn't it true that in 98 or 99 he had sub 10 aussie plates on his car? I really think the pressure got to him. Even being at home in the Syndey Olympics and not making the final. It's very sad but so is life. He has a wife, and two beautiful kids now. I would love to see him continue but as you said, his heart probably is not in it the way it used to be. The time it takes to train is unbeliveable.

I will always have good memories of Shirvo. He is still until he is surpassed one of the best white sprinters as far as the fastest of times run. Probably only Borzov could come close. It's ironic that Pickering has the weight of the world on his shoulders and he will get to run at home in the olympics in just 4 years time. Let's hope it's not a repeat of the pressure being too much. Or for him to have a rash of injuries.

One last thing. People don't give Nic Macrozonaris enough credit. He has run a 10.03 like Matt, and he is the only white sprinter to ever run two sub tens in one day. They were wind aided but he would have been close any way on his 9.91! I'm guessing he might be packing up his spikes too as he skipped the Canadain Champs.Edited by: white lightning