Craig Pickering

white is right

Hall of Famer
TheEnglishman said:
I thought aborigines are more distant runners than explosive short distant runners? Like you say Middle West Africans are the fastest. A good example of this is that the best South African 100m sprinters are normally always white because Southern Africans are not as atheletic as the Mid-West Africans. As for Craig, after such a great start I was dissapointed he didn't win but 2nd is still great and he's still got all the time he needs to improve.
South African natives seem to have genetics similar to Kenyans. You start seeing world class guys at 400(they are rare), then once you get to 800 plus they are competitve with the world elite.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Getting back to Craig Pickering. Not that he is my favorite sprinter
smiley36.gif
or nothing but I believe that he has had some bad luck this season. Most are more than satisfied with his results.Think of the pressure on this kid especially with all of the questions of will you be the first to go sub 10?

Let's look at it realistically. He has had bad weather,no wind or a negative wind all season.Craig is only 20 years of age and there are only a precious few who have run sub 10's at that age!Whites develop and mature a little slower than blacks.Pickering has also battled a bad back for around a month now which has required pain shots to compete at times.

When you look at the big picture,he is right where he needs to be.He has went from a kid who was already forgotten last season to being Englands number 2 sprinter and just barely all before the age of 21!
smiley32.gif
All I'm saying is let's give this kid some time to develop and be patient.He has the pressure of the whole world on his shoulders.Craig will succeed.He will inspire countless others in doing so.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a nice article about Craig Pickering. Enjoy.

Pickering is sprinting up the pecking order at lastAug 1 2007

By Sam Munnery Sammunnery@Trinitysouth.Co.Uk

SPRINTING star Craig Pickering is, by his own admission, a mild mannered, easy going young man But take him on over 100 metres, a Playstation 3 or XBox console, and be prepared for an aggressive contest.

The smart advice would be to avoid racing him over 100m completely.The Crawley-born 20-year-old is the fourth-fastest man in the country this year and one of the brightest young talents in British athletics.

In fact, you might not have much of a chance of beating him on the computer games either - Pickering has two consoles in his student house in Bath so gets plenty of practice.

"I've got a Playstation 3 and an X-Box," he said. "We're a house of four students, so we have house competitions on football games and it really very competitive and real-ly aggressive.

"I'm not an aggressive person at all but for some reason sprinting and computer games bring out the worst in me."

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

While Pickering's abilities on the Playstation remain a mystery, what is undeniable is his talent on the track. He already has a silver medal from the European Under 23s earlier this month and continues to rise through the British sprint rankings this season.

Pickering also picked up silver at the European Indoor Championships in Birmingham and then justified his selection for the European Cup in Munich by setting a personal best to win the 100m.

There might have been something in the Crawley water system when he lived in the town, because he has now emerged as an athlete with genuine aspirations to rise to the pinnacle of his sport.

Already he has won gold for Great Britain in the European U20 Championships in 2005, been the British Universities champion for the last two years and captained the GB U23 team at the European Championships in Hungary last month.

At that event in Debrecen, Pickering was pipped to the gold medal by fellow Briton Simeon Williamson, but rather than being disappointed he prefers to focus on the a new personal best time of 10.14secs he set in the race. "I didn't win but I ran 10.14

which is as quick as I've ever run so I couldn't have done any better than that," he says.

"Simeon had to run a massive PB to win that race, and to be honest I was more worried about the French guy (Martial Mbandjock) who ended up finishing third."

But apart from his personal concerns, Pickering also had to fulfil his responsibilities as captain and, having already had experience of a European Championships at U20 level, he was well placed to do it.

"It is nice when you get recognised for your achievements, but I didn't want to get carried away - I was just focussing on my running," he says.

"A lot of the athletes were nervous. But I tried to say to them that it's a good sign because it shows that you are ready and you have to remember that everyone wants you to do well. You do get to control those nerves with experience."

Captaining his country is a long way from the moment Pickering first started to get serious with sprinting.

Having moved from Crawley to Milton Keynes he was later encouraged to join Milton Keynes Athletics Club by his PE teacher after setting a 100m record in his first sports day at Royal Latin School.

Since then he has been national AAA champion at U15, U17 and U23 level as well as U17 champion indoors and has won two English Schools titles.

But it was 2005 when things really started to take off for Pickering.

His time of 10.22 in winning the Loughborough International 100m was the fastest by a junior in the world that year, taking him to fifth on the British all-time list.

With the world already beginning to sit up and take notice, he went on to claim a European U20 gold medal, defeat Olympic gold medallist Darren Campbell in Bedford and earn a call-up to the British 4x100m relay squad for the world championships in Helsinki.

For a 20-year-old to have that CV already would attract a lot of attention in itself but as a white British sprinter, Pickering has had to shoulder an extra weight of scrutiny every time he goes down on the blocks. So how does he deal with it?

"I just focus 100 per cent on what I want to do," he says."I concentrate on getting to the line first and don't think about anything else other than getting down the track as quickly as I can.

"I train with Jason Gardener and he gives me a lot of advice. He is an Olympic champion and former World Youth Champion and so he passes on information to me and helps keep my feet on the ground. If I beat him in a race he tries even harder to beat me in the next one!"

Gardener was put in the shade by Pickering on Saturday as the youngster stormed to second place in the UK Championships and World Trials in Manchester.

In a strong headwind that made times irrelevant, the Crawley-born star finished in 10.32, losing out to Marlon Devonish by just 0.01 of a second but was enough for him to be selected for the GB team going to the World Championships in Osaka, Japan at the end of August.

Pickering says the call-up will complete one of his athletics ambitions."I want to make the World Championships team this year, then hopefully go to the Olympics and the Worlds as many times as possible and just get as many medals as I can.

"I've been racing against the Brits all season so there is nothing new there, but once you're out there you are racing for yourself and yourself only - everyone is, because we all want to be going to Osaka.

"I've continued to improve throughout the season and it has helped to prepare me for the big occasions.

"The reason we race is because we want to win medals and be the best.

"I don't think too much about London 2012 because there are a lot of races between now and then such as World Championships, European Championships and an Olympics (in Beijing in 2008) so I'm concentrating on doing well in those."

Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm watching the London Super Grand Prix live right now. Craig just qualified for the final by finishing 2nd in his heat,(T.Gay was 1st)in a time of 10.23. The weather looks nice but he still had no wind to help him out. I read another interview and Craig said that he has not been able to train properly due to his injuries. I hope it's not too serious.The finals should be within the next hour or so. The field is stacked. It's really cool to see Pickering running along side the worlds fastest man currently. I'm hoping for another p.b. in the final despite his back. He does look hurt in my opinion but this kid is tough as ever.Good luck to him in the finals.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He finished 4th in a time of 10.28 -0.8 wind. Craig really didn't look that good at all today. I hope he can rest up and get healthy with only 3 weeks until the world championships.

In the mens 400 meters,Wariner won in a time of 44.05! Johan Wissman was 3rd in a new nat'l record of 45.03 and Tim Benjamin 4th with a s.b. of 45.28! Wariner looked very relaxed although he didn't win by his usual big margin. Wariner next races this Tuesday.

Tomlinson is leading the long jump with a 8.14 jump so far.

Laura Turner also won the womens under 20 100 meters.

Angelcynn

Guru
I agree Craig didn't look great today but he still came 4th which isn't bad at all. Wariner won with ease despite slowing down in the last 10m. Best news of the day for me was Chris Tomlinson winning the long jump ahead of Brian Johnson, with his final jump. He's been battling with injuries and poor form so it's great to see him back to his best. White men can't jump? I just don't get that?
smiley5.gif

freedom1

Mentor
I hope Craig is well rested enough to beat his 10.14 before the season's out.

Last year Yepishin turned in a 10.10 for fastest white 100 meter runner of the year. It would be great if Craig could beat that.

What's with Yepishing and Kuc this year? They haven't done anything.

Anyone know who's run the fastest white 200 this year?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think he can beat the 10.14 he hasn't competed in a while and will be off until Osaka. It would be nice to see him solidly make the semis and be a darkhorse to final. If he runs a 10.0X he could do that.....
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think it will all depend on his back. If he is feeling better, a sub 10.10 is probably on deck as long as he gets a good start. I would love to see him just qualify for the finals. If he could get to the finals and then maybe finish 4th or 5th, that would be one heck of an acheivment for a 20 year old kid! In all reality, I would be happy even with an 8th place finish as he would still be the 8th fastest man in the world.

Craig will get alot faster in the seasons to come. As he works more on his form and his starts, he will drop many sub 10's in the years to come! The biggest thing he needs to do this year is just to learn how to not try to hard. He needs to just run his own race. Most sprinters tighten up when they try to hard.Good luck to Craig at the World Championships.One week away!
smiley20.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I really hope that Craig runs another race or two before the season is over. Even though he has probably already peaked, I think it would be good for his confidence before he takes several months off. Pickering will turn 21 in October and has had a heck of a season for such a young sprinter. I really believe that we have only seen a brief glimpse of his potential. Sprinters don't peak until usually between 25 to 30 years old. He will get faster as he matures.I see him going sub 10 next year. I'm suprised he didn't come closer this year but mother nature didn't cooperate most of the time. Congrats to Craig on a fantastic season!
smiley32.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
its official, Pickering has had to long of a season. matic also.it looks like Pickering fell asleep in the blocks. he needs rest. I hope these time don't mess with his head.

1 OBIKWELUPOR 10.17 0.198
2 SAIDY NDURENOR 10.20 0.245
3 DEVONISHGBR 10.20 0.153
4 FASUBA NGR 10.20 0.150
5 DIXON USA 10.23 0.180
6 BURNS TRI 10.36 0.220
7 OSOVNIKARSLO 10.40 0.163
8 PICKERINGGBR 10.58 0.227
9 LEWIS-FRANCIS GBR 10.60 0.153

devans

Mentor
I saw the race on TV and Pickering looked laboured (labored) and seemed to give up with about 20M to go, in disgust, because he wants to be up there with the best so badly and it just isn't happenning for him right now. It was the worst I've ever seem him run. he was trying hard, but it just wasn't happening.Edited by: devans

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Like you guys have said, it's been a very long season for him running indoors and outdoors. Another thing is that even the winner only ran a 10.17 which is not a blazing time. He should take a two or three month break and rest his body. I also think that he should limit his indoor races this winter so that he will have more energy going into the olympics. He peaked a little too early. He was slowing down as he went into the World Championships unfortunatley.

Congrats again to this outstanding up & coming young sprinter. If he can stay focused, he should run in the sub 10 range by next year. Take a good vacation Craig, you deserve it!

G

Everybody peaked for the world championship, so they are all coming down now.

We've seen several white sprinters in the last 10 years run 10.1 a few times and then never get down to running 10.0 on a regular basis. I'll take a wait and see approach here with Craig and Matic. But I'm definitely interested to see more.

That was pretty good seeing Matic in the 100 meter final at Osaka. I'm not an old timer, and have never seen a white sprinter in the final at the world championship or olympic games before. Jon Entine could not have liked that.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a great interview with Craig Pickering. He is lighter than last season but says he is stronger. His times in practice are ahead of last season but he is having persistant back problems. Let's hope that this doesn't continue to be a huge problem. If your stiff and sore, you will not come even close to your peak potential. He races this Saturday. Good luck to Craig in the coming Olympic Season! Here is the link.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/ article3248090.ece Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it says that he is getting a degree in biomechanics! wow! so apparently you don't have to be a dumb ghetto thug to run fast... who knew?
smiley2.gif

mastermulti

Master
Interestingly I've found T&F athletes some of the brighter people in my
experience.

At school it was generally the good students who were also good athletes.
I wonder how much of that is down to having enough determination to
stick at an "individual" sport (and being able to stick to life's tasks in
general) compared to , say, a team player who needs the comaraderie
and mates' encouragement to stick around.
(I think tennis players may fall into the "bright and determined" category
too).

Just a thought!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig in my opinion needs to get his times down into the high 6.40's range to have a better chance at running some sub tens later on this summer. To open up with a 6.57 and win easily against a quality field shows he is already in fine form. Will this be the magical year? I think he has an excellent chance if he can stay healthy. Way to go Pickering!
smiley20.gif

G

I'll stick to my guns on Craig. Let's see him run 10.0 first, before even thinking about 9.9