CF Player of the Week 11

Who was the best white player of the week 1?

• Patriots runningbacks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Cooley

• Chris Hovan

• Patrick Kerney

• Brandon Stokley

• Total voters

backrow

Hall of Famer
1. Patriots RBs Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans: Eckel had his career best game: 10 carries for 40 yards and a TD, he also had 1 catch for 6 yards and Evans had game high 56 yards and 2 catches for 10 yards; combined stats: 20 carries for 96 yards, 1 TD, 3 catches for 16 yards

2. Chris Cooley, TE Redskins: 8 receptions for 89 yards and a TD

3. Chris Hovan, DT Bucs: 4 tackles, 1 sack and his first career interception, returned for 4 yards

4. Patrick Kerney, DE Seahawks: 5 tackles, 3 sacks and a forced fumble

5. Brandon Stokley, WR Broncos: very good game in front of national audience: 3 catches for 75 yards inluding a 48 yard catch and run for a TD

Winners so far:

Week 1: Matt Giordano, S Colts
Week 2: Barrett Ruud, LB Buccaneers
Week 3: Kevin Curtis, WR Eagles
Week 4: Dallas Clark, TE Colts
Week 5: Brian Leonard, RB Rams
Week 6: Kevin Walter, WR Texans
Week 7: Wes Welker, WR Patriots
Week 8: Mike Vrabel, LB Patriots
Week 9: Matt Wilhelm, LB Chargers
Week 10: Jeremy Shockey, TE GiantsEdited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
some hard choices this week. i really liked what Kerney did, basically stopping Chicago by himself in 4th quarter, but Eckel and Evans, two players that Dolphins deemed unworthy had a great showing on national TV.
Chris Hovan was also good for Bucs, his statline is pretty impressive for a DT.
Stokley displayed some great moves and speed on his long TD reception.

I'll vote for Evans/Eckel. In any sensible running scheme, Evans would be not merely blocking but getting at least 8-10 carries per game. The demise of the second RB who gets a substantial number of carries is an unfortunate development, IMO.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
As good as their performance is combined, I can't vote for a 'player' of the week when we are looking at what they did together instead of separately. Besides that, those stats would be a good game for a starting running back, not a great one.

My vote is for Kerney.

backrow

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
As good as their performance is combined, I can't vote for a 'player' of the week when we are looking at what they did together instead of separately. Besides that, those stats would be a good game for a starting running back, not a great one.

My vote is for Kerney.

i understand where you're coming from Shogun, however the way Pats used them, it could have been Evans or Eckel getting all of these 20 carries. and yes, the game would be merely a very solid outing, but how many white runningbacks even got a TD this season? how many had a game with over 50 yards?
that was my motivation for naming them both as one.
smiley2.gif

i voted Kerney as well though
smiley17.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
My vote went to Cooley. People in Washington know he can be a star if they just throw him the ball. Besides being the only bright spot on that team to me, he does a lot when he gets the ball.

Backrow wrote:
"some hard choices this week. i really liked what Kerney did, basically stopping Chicago by himself in 4th quarter, but Eckel and Evans, two players that Dolphins deemed unworthy had a great showing on national TV."

So Eckel and Evans were not good enough for the Dolphins. But, they are good enough for the Patriots. How many games have the Dolphins won this season? How many games have the Patriots lost this season? I think that there's something to be learned from this. As i've said a few times before, the current situation in the NFL is that it is assumed that just about any black back is better than any white back.

Angelcynn

Guru
I had to go for Kerney because it's about time a white player stood out from a dark Seahawks team other than Hasselbeck.

Yea it was great to see two white RB's palying at the same time (the first time I've witnessed it in the NFL) and doing pretty well, but come on the Buffalo team was already beaten.

backrow

Hall of Famer
TheEnglishman said:
Yea it was great to see two white RB's palying at the same time (the first time I've witnessed it in the NFL) and doing pretty well, but come on the Buffalo team was already beaten.

yes, but they also run when Bills knew they will. there was maybe 4 passes attempted since they took over and everything else was Eckel/Evans up the gut. so Bills certainly tried to stop them, i know DiGiorgio was tackling like a madman.

EDIT: No love for Chris Hovan? he made Leftwich look silly on a few occasions
smiley17.gif
Edited by: backrow

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
EDIT: No love for Chris Hovan? he made Leftwich look silly on a few occasions

Actually, I had a tough time deciding between Kerney and Hovan. They were the only two real choices for me this week. The extra sack and tackles made the decision for me.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
C'mon guys, running backs losing to a DE? I like Kerney but when was the last time two white guys carried the ball for the same team at the same time? Csonka and Kiick?

backrow

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
C'mon guys, running backs losing to a DE? I like Kerney but when was the last time two white guys carried the ball for the same team at the same time? Csonka and Kiick?

great point jax. i was sure they'd win in a avalanche of votes, so i voted for Kerney. i guess i outsmarted myself
smiley5.gif
smiley9.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
whiteafflete15 said:
How could anyone vote for anyone but the two WHITE RUNNINGBACKS

I'm sorry the reason for my vote wasn't a good enough explanation for you guys.
smiley36.gif

Should we vote for a white running back every week that one plays, regardless of how well he performs? Not that Eckel/Evans had a bad game or anything, just wondering how far you're willing to go with your vote.
smiley1.gif

Edited by: White Shogun

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't vote for them because they didn't start the game running the ball, and they are being lumped together. They had a good showing, but players of the week they aren't, in my book. Maybe when they run the whole game. I am glad they had as much time on the field as they did because a lot of people got to see it. It couldn't have done anything but help our cause. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for Kerney because he had a huge game. If Evans/Eckel had started rather than being the mop-up backs in blowouts I would have voted for them. It's great they're playing and they may play even more this week with the injuries to Faulk and Maroney, but Kerney had the best game last week. Also, Kerney is the "old man" among the group of outstanding white DEs now playing. He was virtually alone for several years until Kampman, Allen, Vanden Bosch, Justin Smith & Co.started comingalong.

ShowSomePride

I voted for Stokely. Because when he ran that 48 yarder in for a TD the announcer said "He's got speed" as he blew by everyone.

White men with speed... imagine that
smiley4.gif

jared

Mentor
jaxvid said:
You won me over with that one Jaxvid. I voted Pats, although I'm very happy for Kerney as well.

I agree that Kerney had a great game, But I thought this was the "Caste Football" player of the week. If it was the white player of the week, Kerney wins hands down. But as far as breaking the caste system, there is no question two white runningbacks should win it after performing solidly for the NFL's best team on national TV.Edited by: whiteafflete15

I remember Madden saying "they're running the most basic plays with a guy no one has ever heard of" when talking about the Patriot ground game. As nice as it was to see, it was in garbage time and the announcers buried the guys before conceding some faint praise for Eckel's Navy background.Edited by: Run Stuffing LB

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Run Stuffing LB said:
I remember Madden saying "they're running the most basic plays with a guy no one has ever heard of" when talking about the Patriot ground game. As nice as it was to see, it was in garbage time and the announcers buried the guys before conceding some faint praise for Eckel's Navy background.

I don't know, couldn't that be taken as a compliment? They're running the most basic plays with backups, and Buffalo STILL couldn't stop them? They used to say about the Green Bay Packers in the Lombardi era that they only had two plays: sweep left, sweep right. Everyone knew what was coming but still couldn't stop them. That means you're GOOD.
smiley36.gif