La Tech 6 Miss St 2
VA 10 South Miss 5
Missouri 9 Okla 5
Iowa 11 La Monroe 6
Indiana 11 N Texas 7
La Laff 6 FIU 2

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
BYU is coming off getting smashed by Utah, so we shall see if they come out and play angry against UCF.

If Morgan Newton were to lead Kentucky to a win over Florida, we wouldn't hear the end of it.. and he would instantly jump into the "Heisman race." They also have a black coach.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hopefully BYU's offense will get on track against Central Florida. I doubt Southern Methodist will have a lot of trouble with Mempho. Definitely want to see Sam McGuffie run all over Baylor but I don't know if Rice will be able to win that game. Even though they aren't majority White, I want to see Vandy beat South Carolina.

dwid

Hall of Famer
DiLuigi came out with an explosive run and then came limping to the sideline, I think it was just minor because he was back in the game. Heaps overthrew him on what would have been a touchdown. Heaps continues to struggle, although I think some of these receivers are to blame.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
One of BYU's black WRs has had a couple of bad drops already. They have to get their offense going if they are going to have a good season this year. DiLuigi's run was nice and I hope to see more of them tonight!

dwid

Hall of Famer
You would think that there are some back up White receivers that can catch. They started moving the ball when it was to JJ and Kariya. Then the drive ended with a drop by the backup quarterback lined up as a receiver.

edit: as I pressed enter a White (pretty sure he was White) walk on caught a pass for a nice first down. I didn't catch his name though. I don't like injuries for any players but the offense is looking better wth Apo out, they were forcfeeding him the ball the last few games.

Quezada doesn't show much ability, he is just taking carries away form JJ and Kariya.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU's RBBC approach and play-calling isn't working very well. Let DiLuigi be your main back since he's your best back, and pound the ball. I agree with you about Apo.

dwid

Hall of Famer
well Kariya is better in short yardage situations so he has some use. He just doesnt have much explosiveness so if he doesn't get any momentum he can be stopped easily. Its good to have both of them when they run the two back set out of shotgun, both can run and both can catch.

I do think JJ should be getting about 80 percent of the carries. Its his senior year so this is crucial for him to get any chance in the NFL. I noticed him lining up in the slot more so the NFL might try to switch him to there. If you checkout nfldraftscout Sam McGuffie is ranked as a wide receiver and plays a similar hybrid role for Rice.

Daniel Sorensen looks like he has potential to be a star. He hits really hard and is around the ball alot. He doesn't make many mistakes but he bit on a playaction fake that UCF had, the afflete receiver was wide open and should have had an easy score but Sorensen was able to catch up. They got a big gain but most college safeties wouldn't make that tackle after biting on the fake.

The black quarterback for UCF was injured and Blake Bortles comes in and shows more passing ability than the other guy ever had, he made a really nice pass into heavy traffic, right on the money, threading the needle. He's a freshman too.

Last edited:

Riddlewire

Master
The black quarterback for UCF was injured and Blake Bortles comes in and shows more passing ability than the other guy ever had, he made a really nice pass into heavy traffic, right on the money, threading the needle. He's a freshman too.

The question is, how common is that around the country? How many teams are starting black quarterbacks because they are "Dynamic Playmakers!" when a better quarterback is sitting behind them on the bench. Illinois, for example. Or Florida State. And West Virginia seems a likely candidate for such a situation.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
BYU's defense is very good. they will HIT you. and keep on hitting you.

however, their offense is anemic. Heaps' inconsistency (and their forcing the ball to their affletic-yet-not-productive wide receiving duo and tailback) is killing them. DiLuigi looks like the real deal, but he rarely gets in a rhythm or enough touches. we'll see what happens with him as the year goes on.

McKay Jacobson has looked good tonight, routinely getting wide open. but Heaps hasn't been able to hit him, including missing him when Jacobson was WIDE open for a sure touchdown.

and i agree with Dwid. BYU safety Daniel Sorensen is a special talent. after biting (along with the cornerback who was in man coverage) on a play fake, he showed terrific speed and determination in running down an "explosive" afflete and temporarily saving a touchdown. unfortunately for the Cougars, the same cornerback roughed the passer on the next play and moved the ball down inside the 20 ... back to back screw-ups for the affletic "mormon."

ultimately, though, the BYU offense is going to have to start pulling their weight, because the defense is playing well enough for the Cougars to have a great season.

Riddlewire

Master
Unsurprisingly, Godfrey wasn't actually hurt. He just needed some "camera time".
Typical.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Well, there's one WSTD who just lost his job.

wasn't it "nice" to see the afflete-loving George O'Leary go over and "support" his White athlete? jeez. i know it was a big mistake, but the kid, J.J. Worton, was already dogging himself hard enough without his head coach getting in his face and calling him stupid and then just walking away.

as an aside, Worton (a redshirt freshman) is the best punt returner on the team and is explosive in the passing game (averaging over 20 yards-per-catch) in limited opportunities this season. yep, that's the type of young player you want to emotionally crush.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, there's one WSTD who just lost his job.
Your probably right about that one. I'lll give Kariya his due. He just made 3 good runs, but he had decent blocking too. JJ is still being misused in my book. The BYU defense is doing what they can and knocking people out of the game but BYU's offensive brain trust needs to revisit some things because they aren't using their weapons correctly. With Heaps not being as consistent, they need to rely on the running game.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Byu is looking good as they just caused another fumble. Their defense and special teams have stepped it up tonight and they finally are getting their running game going. Both of their top running backs scored touchdowns. I would like to see Byu join the Big 12. I think that would be a good move for them in order to gain more respect nationally.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i didn't see O'Leary bag on his afflete after the careless fumble ... "coincidence" i'm sure. of course, the White punt returner was just "stupid" to use O'Leary's explanation, but i guess the affletic wideout was "trying to make a play." that's the important difference, i'm sure.

uh ... yeah. :dodgy:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i didn't see O'Leary bag on his afflete after the careless fumble ... "coincidence" i'm sure. of course, the White punt returner was just "stupid" to use O'Leary's explanation, but i guess the affletic wideout was "trying to make a play." that's the important difference, i'm sure.

i will quote myself, because O'Leary didn't bag on his affletic quarterback after the incredibly "stupid" interception he just threw ... nope, nary a word. yet another coincidence. i'm sure.

also, did anyone else notice the camera cutting to the White wide receiver (aka the punt returner) as if it were his fault for the interception? yeah. nice job, tv producer. in fact, the White wideout was on the opposite side of the field (and wide open, no less), but i doubt if most DWFs will notice that ... jeez. again.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Typical putrid behavior by these self-loathing caste coaches. I think I'm going to start calling him Gorge O'Weary.

Riddlewire

Master
Another typical afflete play.
Always believing they're faster than everybody on the field.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm glad BYU won, but they certainly have a lot of work to do on offense. UCF wasn't that good of a team either. I'd like to see BYU having a winning season, and they have a very favorable schedule.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
back-to-back-to-back bonehead plays by the "playmakuh" at black quarterback. simply awful.

meanwhile, lost in the excitement of BYU's defense once again making plays down the stretch to win the game is the fact that Daniel Sorensen, not once, but twice caught the "playmakuh" at wide receiver for UCF from behind to save a touchdown. it was a terrific performance by BYU's defense, and notably by their explosive safety.

i wanted to add, the sack at the end of the game was by BYU sophomore defensive end Graham Rowley. nary a word was mentioned regarding this youngster's speed at any point in the game's commentary by the "experts" paid to discuss the players, performance, abilities, etc.

at 6-4 and 280-pounds, Rowley runs a 4.8 40. now just imagine what they would say if he was athletic! *wink*

Last edited:

northwinds

Mentor
BYU is a pretty good football team, especially on defense....but I am sorry, Heap is horrible....I don't think I have watched a QB in the last ten years that inspires less confidence than this kid...surely BYU can find someone else that is not such a liability..

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Heaps has disappointed so far, he started slow last season as a freshman so I think as the season goes along he will improve. He had a terrible overthrow of Jacobson for a sure TD. Jacobsen actually had a couple drops. The BYU defense looks very good though. They will win them some games this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan, you mentioned McKay Jacobson's drops. I was disappointed in seeing those, especially the one he had and then rolled over and let it fly out of his hands and into a defender's waiting arms. McKay is the only remaining BYU player I actually knew while out there. I'd like to see him have a nice senior season, but it looks like his best years will end up being his freshman and sophomore years which were both really good. Too bad he doesn't have a great QB either, although I think Heaps can improve.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Godfrey has always been overrated, and his decision-making erratic. However, the media thinks they can put him into the realm of "stardom" simply because UCF was winning games last year. They won several games, and then defeated Georgia in their Bowl Game.

How much of their winning last year was due to Bruce Miller and the UCF defense?? Their conference isn't the strongest, either.

--It does get old to hear that Godfrey is "a star"... (and UCF might just be on the decline this year)