Caste matchups for week three

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Took the family over to a buddy's house for a cookout last night. Me and my pal were suprised/disappointed to see BYU lose like that. We were hoping/figuring BYU would stomp the CrimiNoles.
smiley6.gif
Hopefully, they'll get refocused asap & right the ship.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
yet another excellent post, Electric Slide. awesome, man!

dwid

Hall of Famer
well the only thing that sucks is even the best teams play poorly against inferior opponents, its all about catching them at the right time. BYU was not in this mentally and FSU probably took this as the most serious game of their season, they probably did not want to lose to a bunch of "White guys" and probably loved the fact that they could knock a White team down in the rankings. Its the BCS system that sucks. Florida lost to Ole Miss last year and looked stale, and then went on the win the national championship.

LSU the year before lost 2 games (although both in triple overtime) and still went on to win the national championship. BYU is a fairly new team, they had to replace a few key players and their run so far has been impressive. Nobody cried about the loss or losses because the last two national championship teams have more "affletes" (but I guarantee you, if LSU doesn't have Jacob Hester, they dont even come close to the season they have and the same thing goes to Florida and Tebow, two athletic White athletes who give it their all).

So like I said great teams lose to inferior teams every single year. It is just like the national media is glad because BYU is a majority White team in a non BCS conference and will have no shot to threaten for the national championship and are worried they were going to go undefeated and not get a shot and then make a fuss about it, like Utah last year.

BYU is in a weird situation, they have some oline guys missing from what I have heard, "a patchwork Oline", They lost Austin Collie who led the nation in receiving, they still have Pitta and Hall but they will be gone next year and then BYU will be an even newer team next year, at least they have some young talent, just not sure who will step up at QB.

However Boise State is still in the run this year and we can't forget about them, they have quite a few White players.

BYU with one loss won't have a shot to play in the national championship, hopefullly maybe a bcs bowl? or is that too optimistic.Edited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
dwid, BYU will have to replace some key players after this season, but I think they could still be in a position to challenge for the MWC title in 2010. As for replacing Max Hall, I think Riley Nelson will be the man. He's Hall's backup right now, but was an incredible dual threat QB at Logan High and started 6 games for Utah State in 2006. He was Mr. Football in Utah in 2005, after setting 9 state records! I think he'll end up being a good QB for BYU. This year the offensive line has been affected most at Center and Left Guard, but I don't think there will be depth issues or inexperience next year as only the current starting Center, R.J. Willing, is a Senior.

The chances of BYU making a BCS bowl after this loss are very slim, but still there. Things would have to fall into place just perfectly for them to get to a BCS bowl. They would have to win every game from here on in an impressive fashion, including against Texas Christian who are ranked ahead of BYU now. Boise State must lose. SEC teams ranked in the top 10 right now, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, and LSU, must beat each other up pretty badly, with none of those 4 being undefeated. Penn State would have to lose, as well as Miami and California. While some of these things will happen, it will take a lot for them all to happen. With the yearly uncertainty in the Big 12, who knows what may happen. The good news is that we're a long way from Bowl Bid Day and the chance is still there. It will shake out as everything gets closer.

The only good thing about the BYU loss is that it happened now instead of in Week 10 or whatever. They could still recover and get back into the 7-15 ranking range if they can run the table and get some quality blowout wins.