2024 NFL Draft

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Weenieworld says that McConkey's official time is 4.39. That's huge even though it's just 1/100 of a second below 4.40. Announcers and analysts usually say an NFL player has run a 4.3 even if he ran a 4.39. They may not with Ladd, but still those first two digits are very important for a White athlete. Weenieworld even compares him, not to Wes Welker, Cooper Kupp, Ricky Proehl or Don Hutson, but to Garrett Wilson, just as the article I posted earlier today compares him to Antonio Brown. That's new territory for a White receiver.

Former Georgia Bulldog WR Ladd McConkey ran an official 4.39 40 at the 2024 NFL Combine.
McConkey measured 6' 0" and 186 pounds, drawing comparison to Garrett Wilson almost unanimously based on his testing metrics at the combine. He and Adonai Mitchell appear to have tested their way into the end of the first round discussion considering how recent drafts have unfolded, particularly considering the needs of teams like the Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens, and Kansas City Chiefs.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
A skinny, undersized black WR runs a 4.22 40 and gets a ton of hype and buzz. Has all the makings of another John Ross - a colossal recent bust.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A skinny, undersized black WR runs a 4.22 40 and gets a ton of hype and buzz. Has all the makings of another John Ross - a colossal recent bust.
It seems like there's one of those every year. No one asks why they're almost always unproductive in college despite having that kind of speed.

The Steelers had one of them in the late '80s and '90s named Dwight Stone (not to be confused with Dwight Stones the great White high jumper). Super fast running in a straight line, but that was the extent of what he offered. Besides being appropriately named as he had hands of stone, he had a hilarious knack of unintentionally running out of bounds after he had beaten the defensive backfield and merely had to run to the endzone for a TD. It became a running joke in the 'Burgh. I just checked his career stats and in 14 NFL seasons Stone caught just 154 passes. He spent most of his career on special teams after his first few seasons.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another white player snubbed from the NFL Draft was Cole Beck. He is also a sprinter who has run sub 10 wind legal in the 100. He would have
easily be the fastest player in the draft so he wasn't invited! How nice to forget yet another white speedster. I'm sure it was an accident!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
For the RBs, Schrader has probably tested his way out of the draft. 40 time wasn't great and missing half the drills is going to hurt him a lot. Laube's official 40 time was 4.54, still under where I would've liked to see him given his size and the Woodhead comp but not terrible. I think someone might take a shot on him in the late rounds.

Even though RB's from the SEC/Alabama Eddie Lacy 4.64 hand held and Mark Ingram 4.62 both ran slower times the Schrader and were drafted in second and first rounds respectively. Another Alabama RB, TJ Yeldon ran a 4.52 at his pro-day which is handheld projects to at least 4.6 something and he was drafted in the third round. I can go on if I dig even deeper.
I'm not so sure he tested his way out of the draft all together, but if he does, he ought to file a lawsuit. Let's hope he gets drafted by the right team and gets a fair chance.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
NFL Network just showed a graphic of the eight fastest 40 times ever at the Combine, and other than Chris Johnson and Ross all of them are/were complete non-entities in the NFL, total duds, and Ross was close to being a total dud.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
From the Clemson wire. Will Shipley met with the combine media on Saturday before the running backs took the field and said, "I am the best all-purpose running back in the draft."
That's the kind of confidence our guys need to exude.
Too bad he didn't participate in the combine.

NikoDuke

Mentor
A casual acquaintance of mine golfed with a tight end who recently retired. During the round, the tight end stated most scouts and "experts" around the game are mediocre, simple thinkers. He said it's like every day life, most people are focused on the flashiness and can't think substantively..

Said when he was a freshman in college he was in awe when a scout or gm came to watch him but, by his third year he had realized most were just paper pushers who fell backwards into these jobs. He said never once did he hear a scout talking about the cognitive aspect of the game..

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
QB Slovis 4.55 40. Very Impressive!
In watching the video of Slovis 6'3 215 after running his 4.55 40 nothing much said about him at all, then I watched 6'0 Spencer Rattler's 4.96 40 and Immediately Eisen and the other announcer heap praise that Rattler looks to be a mid round pick.

Even though RB's from the SEC/Alabama Eddie Lacy 4.64 hand held and Mark Ingram 4.62 both ran slower times the Schrader and were drafted in second and first rounds respectively. Another Alabama RB, TJ Yeldon ran a 4.52 at his pro-day which is handheld projects to at least 4.6 something and he was drafted in the third round. I can go on if I dig even deeper.
I'm not so sure he tested his way out of the draft all together, but if he does, he ought to file a lawsuit. Let's hope he gets drafted by the right team and gets a fair chance.
I think Schrader faced an uphill battle regardless of the combine. Most 7 round mocks don't have him being drafted while almost all have Laube and Shipley going in the mid to late rounds. He needed an impressive showing to get drafted at all and unfortunately it didn't happen.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Decent times from our skill guys. Bummed Shipley didn’t participate.

I'm sure it's not a big surprise to anyone here, but Pearsall and McCaffery went #1 and #2 in the 3 Cone drill for WRs (McConkey did not participate). Whites filled 5 of the top 10 slots overall, including JJ McCarthy at #5.

Whites have always over performed at this drill, so it's not a huge surprise that it's been devalued in favor of the 40 yard dash.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Here are the Relative Athletic Scores for the 3 WRs. For context, Pearsall’s score is ranked 70 out of 3,090 going back to 1987.

IMG_1473.jpegIMG_1472.jpegIMG_1471.jpeg

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Here's a combine press conference with Will Shipley. This is the kind of confidence we need our guys to exude. I like how he answers the question as to what he wants to be. He says he's the best all-purpose running back in the draft!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Just watched Sam Hartman's workout - credit to him for actually participating in the combine. His throws were actually very good, not the strongest arm but with the experience he has had I would certainly take him as a developmental solid number 2 QB. I like him more than Stetson Bennett from last season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
A casual acquaintance of mine golfed with a tight end who recently retired. During the round, the tight end stated most scouts and "experts" around the game are mediocre, simple thinkers. He said it's like every day life, most people are focused on the flashiness and can't think substantively..

Said when he was a freshman in college he was in awe when a scout or gm came to watch him but, by his third year he had realized most were just paper pushers who fell backwards into these jobs. He said never once did he hear a scout talking about the cognitive aspect of the game..

Everything you said checks out in my experience of following the draft. I've never had any close contact with an NFL scout but just following this thing as a casual observer for 20 years now and it all lines up with what we have observed here.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a combine press conference with Will Shipley. This is the kind of confidence we need our guys to exude. I like how he answers the question as to what he wants to be. He says he's the best all-purpose running back in the draft!

Yes, impressive interview. I'd like to see the Bengals or Bills take him on Day 2. Joe Mixon's near the end of his bellcow days and James Cook is overall pretty much average.

Do we know yet why Will didn't participate in the drills? His claim of being the best all-around back in the draft received headlines, with the articles mentioning that he gave the interview before he was expected to do the drills. Given the Caste System I can't see how that will help him and more likely will result in him being disappointed with when he's drafted.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping for a HUGE pro day but still, imagine if it was between him and Steele as to last spot for a white RB and then he doesn't actually participate (for whatever reason)...

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Some black fatties 40 times. The Sumo pipeline continues!

OT Jeremy Flax 5.64 40
G X'Zauvea Galdin 5.50
OT Andrew Coker 5.36
OT Javon Foster 5.30

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Some black fatties 40 times. The Sumo pipeline continues!

OT Jeremy Flax 5.64 40
G X'Zauvea Galdin 5.50
OT Andrew Coker 5.36
OT Javon Foster 5.30
LOL at the ridiculous name X’Zauvea. I wouldn’t even know where to begin trying to pronounce that. It’s like these black women draw 7 random letters like they’re playing Scrabble and have to make a name with it.

icsept

Master
LOL at the ridiculous name X’Zauvea. I wouldn’t even know where to begin trying to pronounce that. It’s like these black women draw 7 random letters like they’re playing Scrabble and have to make a name with it.
I thinks it a unique spelling for Xavier? Lol