2023 World Outdoor Season

sprintstar

Mentor
The more I think about it the more I believe Tortu is under far more pressure as the final leg in the 4x100m relay than the individual 100 or 200m sprints. Personally I would like to see him change up his coaching and training regime to see if that would help him. IMHO he needs to focus strictly on the 100m unless he can get close to 20seconds or under or he is just another body in a race.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Samuele Ceccarelli ran 11.13 in Italy today. I don't know what happened, but he has fallen apart over the 2nd half of the season.

But some good news in Poland - Amy Hunt ran a Season's Best 23.28 in the 200m, and Charlie Dobson ran 45.17 in the 400m with no competition to push him.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
But some good news in Poland - Amy Hunt ran a Season's Best 23.28 in the 200m, and Charlie Dobson ran 45.17 in the 400m with no competition to push him.
I really feel that Amy Hunt and Charlie Dobson are the British equivalents of Abby Steiner and Matthew Boling.
The Americans might be slightly more talented, but they are all about the same age, and all just finished university.
It will be interesting to see how they all progress in the future.
Hunt and Dobson PBs are not quite as good as Steiner and Boling, but they both had several years of injuries.
Anyway, I am excited to see what all of them can do in the future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Samuele Ceccarelli ran 11.13 in Italy today. I don't know what happened, but he has fallen apart over the 2nd half of the season.

I watched the race. Unlike himself he fell asleep in the blocks. He had a reaction time of 0.332 reaction time. A grandfather could
react faster than Ceccarelli did. He was so far down that he shut it down very early. Very sad but he just fell asleep in the blocks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jakub Ingebrigtsen and Armand Duplantis stole the show today in the Diamond League Meet. Ingebrigtsen with a world record over
2000 meters and Duplantis just missing another world record of 6.23 meters. The bar looked like it would stay but finally fell. So close.

I'm exicted for the future of the mens 400 meters. We have 4 or 5 europeans run in the 44 second range this year. Ingvalsden is by far
the best of the bunch and only 20 years of age. He finished in 3rd today against a tough field but he is learning and maturing each and
every race.

I want to give Zoe Hobbs alot of credit. She has been in most if not all of the Diamond League Races and held her own. She ran 11.14 today
to end a very long season. I only wish Rohan Browning could have ran as much as she did. The only way to beat the best is to race against
them. It has to be normal and eventually it will lift your abilities to your maximum potential. He had a good year but would have liked to
have seen him 3 to 5 more times.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Tortu ran 20.30 against serious competition.
It's crazy that he can run down sub-10 sprinters on the relay, but a week or so later, can only run 20.30.
Something is wrong.
He should return to running the 100m, and put the 200m on the back burner.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I really feel that Amy Hunt and Charlie Dobson are the British equivalents of Abby Steiner and Matthew Boling.
The Americans might be slightly more talented, but they are all about the same age, and all just finished university.
It will be interesting to see how they all progress in the future.
Hunt and Dobson PBs are not quite as good as Steiner and Boling, but they both had several years of injuries.
Anyway, I am excited to see what all of them can do in the future.

I have to see alot more before I could agree with you. Especially with Dobson. Yes he is talented obviously but his lack
of racing every year tells me that his body might not hold up like other sprinters. It's more than talent. Your body has to
stand the wear and tear. I'm a huge fan of the kid but I have to see him stay healthy for a few seasons and for him to have
consistant results. I want to see it but I just am not sure he is physically up for it. Hope he proves me wrong as he is fun to
watch. Amy Hunt I think has more upside than Dobson. I am rooting for both of them though.

mastermulti

Master
Jakub Ingebrigtsen and Armand Duplantis stole the show today in the Diamond League Meet. Ingebrigtsen with a world record over
2000 meters and Duplantis just missing another world record of 6.23 meters. The bar looked like it would stay but finally fell. So close.

I'm exicted for the future of the mens 400 meters. We have 4 or 5 europeans run in the 44 second range this year. Ingvalsden is by far
the best of the bunch and only 20 years of age. He finished in 3rd today against a tough field but he is learning and maturing each and
every race.

I want to give Zoe Hobbs alot of credit. She has been in most if not all of the Diamond League Races and held her own. She ran 11.14 today
to end a very long season. I only wish Rohan Browning could have ran as much as she did. The only way to beat the best is to race against
them. It has to be normal and eventually it will lift your abilities to your maximum potential. He had a good year but would have liked to
have seen him 3 to 5 more times.
I love Hobbs consistency and frequent racing. It seems she can keep up the training -
I'm not sure Browning can race more frequently than he does without breaking. If that is so he won't improve any further - although a perfect set of conditions will give him a sub 10. But he's got to be able to race enough times to get those conditions

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, I'm hoping Browning can strategically pick the right races next year. As a clean athlete, his time is starting to run out. He obviously has it in him. It's like MM said, he needs the right set of conditions.

freedom1

Mentor
When Cole Beck hit that 9.97, I thought, this is going to be a great season for the short sprints, but it didn't work out that way :(. As others here have said, hopefully Boling will go pro and get a different coach. Tortu needs a new approach too. He's 25 now. I don't think the lifespan of a non-steroidal sprinter is very long.

sprintstar

Mentor
agreed. Just look at SFP(juiced to the gills)still running insane times at 36 y old yet Daphne Schippers(clean) was done by 27/28 years old....

mastermulti

Master
Femke has 3 runs in the 51's for 2023. Her best is only 4/100th off Sydney McLaughlin's 2nd best so Paris should be a cracker - that's if McLaughlin doesn't give up the game and have some kids while supporting her pastor husband.
She's never liked the mental build up and stress of competition from things I've read

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
agreed. Just look at SFP(juiced to the gills)still running insane times at 36 y old yet Daphne Schippers(clean) was done by 27/28 years old....
SFPis a little pocket rocket who probably never runs more than 250 (in training) and does nothing other than short sprints.
Dafne - tall, a long spine and many years of multi events .... I can imagine lots of funny, limb angles and much wear and tear.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Do you honestly think that SFP is clean? Just an honest question. No 36 year old runs that fast clean. They protect the ones
that win everything as it helps bring fans to the sport.

sprintstar

Mentor
I do not believe SFP has ever run clean....Like alot of other Jamaicans she had braces on her teeth in her late twenties...Ta Lou doesn't run clean either....

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Here are Jamaica's 3 big female sprinters - Elaine Thompson Herah, Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce, and Shericka Jackson.

If you look closely, you can see that what they have in common is an orthodontist.

Attachments

• 14285956.jpg
    14285956.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
  • shelly-ann-fraser.jpg
    shelly-ann-fraser.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • shericka jackson.jpg
    shericka jackson.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 3

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's the same with guys like the retired Baseball Player Barry Bonds who's head and jaw changed in his 30's due to all of the
human growth hormones and peds he was taking. Even his eye sight improved. I read a good article from S.I. back in the day
about it before they had the steroids hearing in Washington D..C. back many years ago.

All of these athletes have the same things yet most fans just don't question it.

W.A.D.A. is very weak and constantly let's so many athletes cheat as in my opinion they get paid under the table to keep it
on the down low. It's been going on for 50 or 60 years now so the athletes that are allowed to cheat almost always win.

freedom1

Mentor
In her mid 30s, she has a baby, then comes back and runs the best times of her career?

As Joe Biden would say, "come on man!!"

mastermulti

Master
Do you honestly think that SFP is clean? Just an honest question. No 36 year old runs that fast clean. They protect the ones
that win everything as it helps bring fans to the sport.
no, probably not .... but I am pretty sure Schippers with her physical characteristics and multi event training has had more opportunity to damage herself. Her back is the issue and it's what I'd expect.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
no, probably not .... but I am pretty sure Schippers with her physical characteristics and multi event training has had more opportunity to damage herself. Her back is the issue and it's what I'd expect.

I agree both the decathon and the pentathalon are very hard physically on the body. It amazes me that some men and women can last as long as they do. Your destroying your body but man is it fun to watch. These are truely the best overall athletes in all of track and field!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Something to make you think. There is a good chance that many if not all were clean at 19 years of age. Lemaitre was
the fastest all natural for that age for a very long time. It shows his incredible talent. I still salute him for being the first
white sprinter go go sub 10 along with winning medals at the world champs and olympics.

Here is a list of a few of the world class sprinters/gold medal winners/worlds fastest men and their personal best times in the 100 at 19 years of age.

Asafa Powell: aged 19 ran a PB of 10.12 (1.3 m/s).
Tyson Gay: aged 19 ran a PB of 10.27 (0.7m/s).
Usain Bolt: aged 21 ran a PB of 10.03 (0.7m/s).
Maurice Greene: aged 19 ran a PB of 10.43
Bruny Surin aged: 19 ran a PB of 10.62
Christophe Lemaitre: aged 19 ran a PB of 10.04 (0.2m/s)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Well the track season hasn't ended in Asia.
Today at the Asian Games in China, Zhenye Xie ran a windy (2.4w) 9.97 in the finals, with 17 yr old Puripol Boonson of Thailand 2nd in 10.03.
In the semis, they ran wind legal times (1.4w) of 10.03 and 10.06 respectively.